(Topic ID: 249170)

Which pins are truly better as "pros," which are musts as a LE?

By Daditude

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 199 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Sluggo39
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1067E8AF-66FB-4F06-8D6F-09E1ADA3B8F3 (resized).jpeg
    74A5B066-AA8B-4228-97FD-A803C0AAF83E (resized).jpeg
    ef4a0697-0029-4512-a2e5-2143a6a7708d_256 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#145 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

But I'm really a Pro snob. I'm more about gameplay than toys, and Premium/LE toys generally slow things down. They're more about show than flow.

I feel the same way in most cases. I value game speed over just about everything. However, I find that Ghostbusters is the one game that the Premium has sped up gameplay considerably. The right entry to the ramp on the Pro does the thing where it just sort of slows and then returns, where the right ramp on the Prem is a quick return. The ball lock subway was a surprise to me because on the pro, the ball bounces around a decent amount before registering the switch.

I haven't played enough of Black Knight Premium to know if I prefer it, but it feels weird without an upper playfield in it. Having said that, I don't like any of the Black Knight games before it thanks to the upper playfields, so I might like the Pro more ultimately too.

#146 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

One thing for sure though is, you cant take anyone serious that says GB, MET, or Munsters pro is better than the premium models. I mean come on give me a break! These three models here are no brainers. Thats not to say that their pro counterparts aren't good because they are, but they aren't as good as the premiums no way.

Uh, no. Met Pro is the superior game if you value faster gameplay over features. The hammer, other than blocking the top, slows down that ball lock. The snake, closes its jaw and can slow down gameplay.

Completely unrelated, I almost forgot about a couple of the early ones. Avatar and Rolling Stones I absolutely *hate* the LE features because they put a random powerball into play with a score bonus, but the games don't have a way to ensure that ball comes up only at certain points. Yuck.

#158 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I'm a numbers guy so, I might have to times these things. On the Pro you do not have a physical lock, which unquestionably slows down the game. However the snake's mouth is always open on the Pro, which slows down gameplay at least as much as the jaw closing. It would of course depend on your total number of shots to each, but I would think any difference between the two would be a tiny-tiny fraction of your overall ball time.

Perhaps I should have defined better. To me, the snake shooting the ball back toward the flippers always is what makes it faster. Closing the mouth and having a shot brick off the front of its lips to me is slower, even if the little hiss before kick out is different.

And again, to each their own. I know at least two others though that have had the choice and purposely chose the Pro for the same reason.

#162 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Okay, I feel like the two shots are pretty much reversed. On the Pro the ball is bouncing more off the captive ball and on the Premium the ball is bouncing more off the snake. With that said, I did replace the box with a ball in my Premium. I actually like how the captive ball reflects the ball into different directions. A square hit looses momentum and rolls back, glancing hits might deflect into the snake, sparky, or even up the left ramp. In general I'm also a sucker for toys and magnets, it's just fun to see the ball interacting in unique ways. We agree that it's totally personal preference.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that odd block thing on the Premium. I'm a huge fan of captive ball hits that can be ricocheted off in a particular direction on purpose.

And to be fair for my way of thinking, I tend to gravitate more to pins with more open on the playfield, which usually does tip me in favor of Pros versus Premiums.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-pins-are-truly-better-as-pros-which-are-musts-as-a-le?tu=goatdan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.