(Topic ID: 249170)

Which pins are truly better as "pros," which are musts as a LE?

By Daditude

10 days ago

Topic Stats

• 164 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Waxx
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1067E8AF-66FB-4F06-8D6F-09E1ADA3B8F3 (resized).jpeg
    74A5B066-AA8B-4228-97FD-A803C0AAF83E (resized).jpeg
    ef4a0697-0029-4512-a2e5-2143a6a7708d_256 (resized).jpg

There are 164 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 7 days ago
    Quoted from rai:

I love bling and I think extra toys are dope but if a game like Met or TWD gives me 95% of the gameplay for 75% of the cost that’s the kind of math I like.
    I don’t have any cheap pins anymore but I started out buying T2 and BoP when they cost $1800 or less. Now I’m asked to pay $1800 for a moving Dino head or a hammer ball lock. (I know there’s more to it than that there’s the GI lights and spinners and so on, but the general idea is $1800 can almost buy a full other game and LE an extra $3500 I can buy something like WPT for example).

Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Whatever you're happy with man. Some people actually prefer light beer too.

I like the thought if buying a cheaper game and adding 3rd party mods...it just seems that cannot be done with certain pins (e.g. the dino head in JP or the bottom PF in munsters)

Im sure whomever creates a moving dino head mod for JP would make a killing

#152 7 days ago

GB premium - The Magna slings kind of go with the ghost theme, I wouldn't want them on another game but are suited for this. SDTM can be a pain but center posts help.

AS pro - I don't see any advantage of the premium.

IMDN - I like them all!

DP - I couldn't believe a pro model had this much. 'Haven't played the premium.

Munsters - I'm mixed on this game. The upgrade is worth the cash but I'm not a fan of mini playfields.

#153 7 days ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

DP - I couldn't believe a pro model had this much.

What does it have that's a big deal? 2 spinners?

#154 7 days ago

The Beatles Gold is the $8K version. It's exactly the same game as the two "higher tier" versions. The playfields and gameplay are identical on all versions. Production of Gold versions totals 1615.

Paying $13K - $15K gets you platinum colored armor (as opposed to gold powdercoat), different cabinet art, a different translite, and a plaque indicating that only 250 were made. Whoopde-doo!

Paying $18K - $25K gets you diamond colored armor, different cabinet art, a glass backglass, and a plaque indicating that only 100 were made. Double whoopdee-doo!

Beatles Gold (the "pro" version) is terrific fun and the 1964 Fab Four invasion theme is exceptionally well-executed. But, the upper tier versions are essentially an attempt to replicate the "exclusivity" revenue generated by Stern's Supreme game.

#155 7 days ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

What does it have that's a big deal? 2 spinners

Not only two spinners but also three drop targets, two physical ball locks and a katana sword ramp. Oh, and lil Deadpool!

#156 6 days ago

This thread initially implies that it should be regardless of price and now people keep bringing price into the equation...

Price is no object, which is better? For me it's never Pro. Period.

#157 6 days ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Uh, no. Met Pro is the superior game if you value faster gameplay over features. The hammer, other than blocking the top, slows down that ball lock. The snake, closes its jaw and can slow down gameplay.

I'm a numbers guy so, I might have to times these things. On the Pro you do not have a physical lock, which unquestionably slows down the game. However the snake's mouth is always open on the Pro, which slows down gameplay at least as much as the jaw closing. It would of course depend on your total number of shots to each, but I would think any difference between the two would be a tiny-tiny fraction of your overall ball time.

#158 6 days ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I'm a numbers guy so, I might have to times these things. On the Pro you do not have a physical lock, which unquestionably slows down the game. However the snake's mouth is always open on the Pro, which slows down gameplay at least as much as the jaw closing. It would of course depend on your total number of shots to each, but I would think any difference between the two would be a tiny-tiny fraction of your overall ball time.

Perhaps I should have defined better. To me, the snake shooting the ball back toward the flippers always is what makes it faster. Closing the mouth and having a shot brick off the front of its lips to me is slower, even if the little hiss before kick out is different.

And again, to each their own. I know at least two others though that have had the choice and purposely chose the Pro for the same reason.

#159 6 days ago

I prefer Premium/LE on almost all titles. I would say the exception is ACDC. When I had mine, the lower playfield was a grind and I found myself avoiding the songs that used it.
    For Metallica, the premium is a must for me. I love the hammer pounding (or at least appearing to) the ball into the physical lock coffin. It's one of my favorite features in pinball. I've never had an issue with it blocking my view (I'm 6'). In fact, I never realized that was a thing until I read about pro owners complaining about it. Having said that, I can see if you have a hangup over that feature, the pro is still a solid game.
    For IMDN, I must have the premium for the tomb ball lock and the raising ramp. Plus the raising ramp gives you CIPWM mode.
    Tron - LE of course, however, you can add the most crucial LE feature to the pro. So I'd still rather have the LE, but after adding the lighted ramps, the pro is worthy.
    TWD - Premium/LE. I enjoyed the crossbow and the well walker magnet tossing the ball around. The walker bombs clinched it though. I could have given up the raising ramp here, as it did make that shot a little clucky. So for me, the perfect TWD would be a premium without the raising ramp.

#160 6 days ago
    Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

Not only two spinners but also three drop targets, two physical ball locks and a katana sword ramp. Oh, and lil Deadpool!

Jeez no wonder Stern keeps stripping down games if that's what's considered "loaded"

#161 6 days ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Perhaps I should have defined better. To me, the snake shooting the ball back toward the flippers always is what makes it faster. Closing the mouth and having a shot brick off the front of its lips to me is slower, even if the little hiss before kick out is different.
    And again, to each their own. I know at least two others though that have had the choice and purposely chose the Pro for the same reason.

Okay, I feel like the two shots are pretty much reversed. On the Pro the ball is bouncing more off the captive ball and on the Premium the ball is bouncing more off the snake. With that said, I did replace the box with a ball in my Premium. I actually like how the captive ball reflects the ball into different directions. A square hit looses momentum and rolls back, glancing hits might deflect into the snake, sparky, or even up the left ramp. In general I'm also a sucker for toys and magnets, it's just fun to see the ball interacting in unique ways. We agree that it's totally personal preference.

#162 6 days ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Okay, I feel like the two shots are pretty much reversed. On the Pro the ball is bouncing more off the captive ball and on the Premium the ball is bouncing more off the snake. With that said, I did replace the box with a ball in my Premium. I actually like how the captive ball reflects the ball into different directions. A square hit looses momentum and rolls back, glancing hits might deflect into the snake, sparky, or even up the left ramp. In general I'm also a sucker for toys and magnets, it's just fun to see the ball interacting in unique ways. We agree that it's totally personal preference.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that odd block thing on the Premium. I'm a huge fan of captive ball hits that can be ricocheted off in a particular direction on purpose.

And to be fair for my way of thinking, I tend to gravitate more to pins with more open on the playfield, which usually does tip me in favor of Pros versus Premiums.

#163 4 days ago

It seems like monsters, dead pool, and ghostbusters have the most "conflicts" between the 2 options

#164 4 days ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

It seems like monsters, dead pool, and ghostbusters have the most "conflicts" between the 2 options

DeadPool Pro is great and I didn’t think there was a huge difference myself. Then I paid more attention to the Disco Loop and flow and it’s hard to look back from the Premium.

DP Premium is just better for lighting, flow, drops, and an entire mode exclusive in Disco Loops.

I think the conflict is that DP Pro is great and sometimes that’s enough.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 64.95
    $ 89.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 50.00
    Lighting - Led
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 18.95
    $ 19.95
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 14.95
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 1,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 164 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside