(Topic ID: 249170)

Which pins are truly better as "pros," which are musts as a LE?

By Daditude

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 199 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Sluggo39
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1067E8AF-66FB-4F06-8D6F-09E1ADA3B8F3 (resized).jpeg
    74A5B066-AA8B-4228-97FD-A803C0AAF83E (resized).jpeg
    ef4a0697-0029-4512-a2e5-2143a6a7708d_256 (resized).jpg
    There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

The numerous responses on the magna slings on GB really make me want to play both side by side.

Not sure but, the Pro left ramp looks to be
    shallower and allows for a fast return to the right flipper. The new code may favor one model over the other, we’ll see. I’ll then make my choice.

#102 4 years ago

Amazing to me how many people in this thread are wrong! .

#103 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

The numerous responses on the magna slings on GB really make me want to play both side by side.

It's a weird thing those slings. It's a cool idea, and it's pretty fun, but they also screw you over which isn't fun (eXpecially on a game that's cheap as shit to begin with).
    But GB pro is shit for the right half ramp anyway; awfull.

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Amazing to me how many people in this thread are wrong! .

Enlighten us.

#105 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I appreciate what they were trying to do but if you put enough time in on that game... they WILL screw you over in ways you never though possible. Its already a chaotic and cheap game (that damn flipper gap is another head scratcher) so it almost feels like a little salt in the wound when the end up causing a drain that would have otherwise not happened with traditional slings.

Its one of those things where you just can't 'get good' and learn how to overcome it.

#106 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Shouldn't be too hard to pick up a copy of both on the secondary market at a reasonable price.

#107 4 years ago

I believe in an interview, John Borg said he starts his vision as a pro model and then adds features to make a more expensive model worth the cost to the consumer. But I still prefer the premium/LE. If it’s a theme I love, I’m going to go for the LE. But let’s take JP for instance; not a dream theme for me, but I’d definitely want a premium because of how great the gameplay looks.

#108 4 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Keyword: almost.
    That's the point of this thread. Some premium upgrades make it worse.

I think it might be "every", but I was leaving myself an out if I thought of something. Lord of the Rings is close, I'd want a hybrid between the two. I still think I'd take the LE though, just to have the superior coating on the playfield and shaker motor. I'd look to swap for the standard backglass.

#109 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

... Mustang: Mustang is a strange one. The turntable is the biggest change, and that is a cool gimmick, adding a timing element to collecting MUSTANG letters. That said, Mustang multiball is a nearly meaningless mode, and lies outside of any of the other goals in the game. It's an odd mode to build a large gimmick around. Other than that, a couple drop targets randomly thrown in seem odd, and the power shifts just give a free shot which really isn't needed (other than Cruisin' 2...I wouldn't mind a free shot at those quick moving roving shots...damn that mode!). There is also an extra ramp diverter, which I would usually really like, but it's completely redundant in this game since the shot can go around to the right flipper anyway...you are only avoiding the "whirlpool" bowl, which the ball doesn't spend that much time in anyway. Very odd addition. Also the artwork keeps me in on the pro on this one too. The theme is a large part about why I love this game...it has a lot of family nostalgia for me. The pro best represents all eras and styles, and I am very partial to the '70 Mach 1 on the cabinet as I owned a '69 for many years. Yes, I also love Bosses, but I do not like how the premium focuses only on those when there are so many other great Mustangs left out. In this case, the extra gimmicks are interesting, but not enough. Pro for me here. ...

While all versions of Mustang are a lot of fun and seem to be greatly underrated, I have to respectfully disagree with you regarding the best one. With all the extra features (including more songs which you didn't mention) provided in the Premium/LE models, they offer substantially more gameplay depth, variety, risk/reward, strategy options, and consequently ... more fun than the Pro. Accordingly, they are also well worth the additional cost IMHO.

#110 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

While all versions of Mustang are a lot of fun and seem to be greatly underrated, I have to respectfully disagree with you regarding the best one. With all the extra features (including more songs which you didn't mention) provided in the Premium/LE models, they offer substantially more gameplay depth, variety, risk/reward, strategy options, and consequently ... more fun than the Pro. Accordingly, they are also well worth the additional cost IMHO.

Very cool. I honestly haven't played enough on the prem/LE, so I really should have noted that. I personally didn't see the value, but good to hear that it's there. I spent a ton of time modding the music on mine, and those extra song spots would have come in handy. I hate that drag race multi shares the same song with gear shift on the pro.

I still couldn't bring myself to trade away that beautiful Mach 1 cabinet though...

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Shouldn't be too hard to pick up a copy of both on the secondary market at a reasonable price.

You must think I have money or something.
    Im more of a "low pin man"

#112 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Im more of a "low pin man"

Me too! A high end game for me now is a No Fear. I'm a going to go get one! Pro model, premium, or LE, I don't care as long as it's not super faded.

#113 4 years ago

SM.
    Seriously. Was there a bigger waste of money than SMB?

#114 4 years ago

And I remember a few SMB fetching up to 12k on here when it was hot.
    WHOOPSIE.

#115 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

SM.
    Seriously. Was there a bigger waste of money than SMB?

Some people investing in the first AC/DC Luci in the secondary market kinda got burned.

#116 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Some people investing in the first AC/DC Luci in the secondary market kinda got burned.

That shit was HILARIOUS.
    "I have $13,000. What should I buy?" LOL

#117 4 years ago
    ef4a0697-0029-4512-a2e5-2143a6a7708d_256 (resized).jpgef4a0697-0029-4512-a2e5-2143a6a7708d_256 (resized).jpg
    #118 4 years ago

I've got a $7000 Iron Man you can have if you cough up 9 grand. It's even got nimblepin's seal of approval on it.

#119 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Me too! A high end game for me now is a No Fear. I'm a going to go get one! Pro model, premium, or LE, I don't care as long as it's not super faded.

Don't let my pin collection fool you...I had to scour fir deals, buy, fix, sell, and trade my way up to what i currently have.

#120 4 years ago

You shoulda just married rich.

#121 4 years ago

I’m a Pro guy. Partly because I’m cheap, but mostly because I like the games more. Sure, I’ve done my LE phase, but my heart is with the Pro games.

And here is my big differentiator: I grew to hate upper playfields. They block the view of the ball, and always feel like a gimmick to me. Stewie Pinball was the first one I played a lot, and thought it was awesome... for about 10 plays. Then just ugh. After a couple shots I felt like I was wasting time there.

As for MET, Pro. I just don’t like the hammer blocking my view. I LOVE the action and concept of it, but hate that it is in my way.

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I’m a Pro guy. Partly because I’m cheap, but mostly because I like the games more. Sure, I’ve done my LE phase, but my heart is with the Pro games.
    And here is my big differentiator: I grew to hate upper playfields. They block the view of the ball, and always feel like a gimmick to me. Stewie Pinball was the first one I played a lot, and thought it was awesome... for about 10 plays. Then just ugh. After a couple shots I felt like I was wasting time there.
    As for MET, Pro. I just don’t like the hammer blocking my view. I LOVE the action and concept of it, but hate that it is in my way.

I agree so we replaced the hammer with something less obstructive.

1067E8AF-66FB-4F06-8D6F-09E1ADA3B8F3 (resized).jpeg1067E8AF-66FB-4F06-8D6F-09E1ADA3B8F3 (resized).jpeg74A5B066-AA8B-4228-97FD-A803C0AAF83E (resized).jpeg74A5B066-AA8B-4228-97FD-A803C0AAF83E (resized).jpeg
    #123 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I’m surprised to see X-Men keep getting mentioned as better as a pro. The moving ice ramp isn’t great (Ive disabled mine) and night crawler was not utilized as well as it could be but the spinning disc is super awesome and the mirrored backglass (a true mirrored backglass, not this mirrored ink on a translight that Stern does now) is the nicest in Sterns history on either LE model.

Magneto LE is amazing.

#124 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Magna slings are fun. I have played over 1,000 games on Ghostbusters LE and can say that it isn't common for the slings to send the ball STDM. It happens rarely. Plus, during multiball, the slings do some amazing stuff. Perfect for the theme.

#125 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

They can be cheap, but I really like them. I think the people dissing them for being massively unfair are protesting too much. It's not much more cheap than TWD Prison magnet - actually, I think it's LESS cheap.

#126 4 years ago

Gotg-pro
    Kiss- pro
    Twd- pro
    Acdc-Le Bib or Ltbr
    Tron-Le
    St- Le
    X-men-LE
    Transformers-Le combo
    Met-any Model, Sterns best!
    Sw-Premium

#127 4 years ago

If there's one thing that ive learned from the Pro vs premium debate its that you really have to go play them and see for yourself because you just can't get a straight answer on Pinside about it and many just say that the model that they have is the best model even if they dont really know. My opinion is though that the premium is almost always the better game, not always of course but 99% of the time it is.

One thing for sure though is, you cant take anyone serious that says GB, MET, or Munsters pro is better than the premium models. I mean come on give me a break! These three models here are no brainers. Thats not to say that their pro counterparts aren't good because they are, but they aren't as good as the premiums no way.

#128 4 years ago

My beefs with GB Premium:

- Slimer flies away and you can’t hit him anymore. Why would they do this?
    - Slingshots are already the main source of randomness in modern machines, and now they’ve been made more random. Yes they are a cool effect but not when they drain me by doing weird stuff, which sometimes includes not firing.
    - I don’t love the right ramp on the Pro, but I hate that it’s loopable on the Premium. PKE is overpowered enough as it is - you shouldn’t be able to loop 100m point shots.

On the plus side, the subway locks are cool, though they were constantly malfunctioning on the one closest to me and the eventual fix was to replace the entire playfield for some reason.

#129 4 years ago

You dont even have to use slimer to start modes so thats no big deal and if anything its a code issue what you're talking about.

The magna slings rarely cause ball drains, heck i may even argue that they cause less ball drains than traditional slings.

The right ramp you're talking about is once again a code issue.

Subway ramp is awesome.

#130 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

... many just say that the model that they have is the best model even if they dont really know. My opinion is though that the premium is almost always the better game, not always of course but 99% of the time it is. ...

Word

#131 4 years ago

Stern should make a run of TWD pro+ meaning a pro with spinners and walker bomb.

#132 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Stern should make a run of TWD pro+ meaning a pro with spinners and walker bomb.

Im curious. If enough people messaged/wrote in to them...would it be enough for them to do it? I guess it is worth a shot.

#133 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

The problem is that it's not in Stern's best interest to do this. It would steer sales away from their more profitable Premium model which they would likely vault as well. I was hoping they'd add spinners on to the newer run Metallica Pro machines to spur sales but that didn't happen either.

#134 4 years ago

Thrones Pro
    BKSOR Premium

Munsters - doesn't matter - machine is a turd for every model.

#135 4 years ago

Looking at the premium on JP almost $2000 for moving Dino and Raptor pit just seems like a lot of cheddar.

It’s almost like a regular movie vs the 3D movie ticket price that you get the same movie or from both but the 3D is just a bit extra bling. Not sure how much do I wan the moving Dino.

#136 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Looking at the premium on JP almost $2000 for moving Dino and Raptor pit just seems like a lot of cheddar.
    It’s almost like a regular movie vs the 3D movie ticket price that you get the same movie or from both but the 3D is just a bit extra bling. Not sure how much do I wan the moving Dino.

My thoughts as well and I ultimately decided on the pro.

Quoted from rai:

I would love for them to come out with a kit that I could add spinners and walker bombs to my pro

#137 4 years ago

Why would people buy a premium if you could just add a kit for a pro?

#138 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Exactly. Fantasy land.

#139 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

If there were ever a reason to go for the premium/LE, the moving dino would be it...but therein lies the problem...the $2,000 extra. That is some serious money to add on. Or maybe im just cheap. I don't know anymore.

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Never will happen but a guy can dream

#141 4 years ago

Transformers Pro is much better than the LE

#142 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

One thing for sure though is, you cant take anyone serious that says GB, MET, or Munsters pro is better than the premium models.

I'm totally fine with you liking the MET Premuim better. I prefer (and own) the Pro. I've had opportunity to upgrade to a NIB Premium, and HUO Premium. I just really like mine and the updates I've done to it. So we can agree to disagree.

Quoted from rai:

This one is the toughest decision (I'm still on the fence). I really want the moving T-Rex. Is that worth $2000? Goodness no... but it is a freaking moving T-Rex... so maybe it is. No, yes, ugh. It should have been in both, because not having it might stop me from buying the Pro. In my mind it is a critical feature.

#143 4 years ago

Real Playa’s Play Pros (tm)

#144 4 years ago

TWD

And I may be one of the few, but I like Munsters pro a lot better
    I usually like lower PF's but this one did nothing for me

#145 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

But I'm really a Pro snob. I'm more about gameplay than toys, and Premium/LE toys generally slow things down. They're more about show than flow.

I feel the same way in most cases. I value game speed over just about everything. However, I find that Ghostbusters is the one game that the Premium has sped up gameplay considerably. The right entry to the ramp on the Pro does the thing where it just sort of slows and then returns, where the right ramp on the Prem is a quick return. The ball lock subway was a surprise to me because on the pro, the ball bounces around a decent amount before registering the switch.

I haven't played enough of Black Knight Premium to know if I prefer it, but it feels weird without an upper playfield in it. Having said that, I don't like any of the Black Knight games before it thanks to the upper playfields, so I might like the Pro more ultimately too.

#146 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

One thing for sure though is, you cant take anyone serious that says GB, MET, or Munsters pro is better than the premium models. I mean come on give me a break! These three models here are no brainers. Thats not to say that their pro counterparts aren't good because they are, but they aren't as good as the premiums no way.

Uh, no. Met Pro is the superior game if you value faster gameplay over features. The hammer, other than blocking the top, slows down that ball lock. The snake, closes its jaw and can slow down gameplay.

Completely unrelated, I almost forgot about a couple of the early ones. Avatar and Rolling Stones I absolutely *hate* the LE features because they put a random powerball into play with a score bonus, but the games don't have a way to ensure that ball comes up only at certain points. Yuck.

#147 4 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Uh, no. Met Pro is the superior game if you value faster gameplay over features. The hammer, other than blocking the top, slows down that ball lock. The snake, closes its jaw and can slow down gameplay.

#148 4 years ago

It’s sad to me when something cheap like spinners on Met is removed or TWD Walker bombs. Even the second captive ball on Maiden or the helicopter spinner on JP. It’s not like I’m talking extra features like upper lower PF or extra moving ramp like XM.

These are $10 type savings and I’m sure people would pay an extra few dollars to get. Kind of like when I was adding PF support to Tron and IM VE I didn’t care about the extra $30.

I know it’s to push people towards the premium because of the higher profit margins.

#149 4 years ago

I love bling and I think extra toys are dope but if a game like Met or TWD gives me 95% of the gameplay for 75% of the cost that’s the kind of math I like.

I don’t have any cheap pins anymore but I started out buying T2 and BoP when they cost $1800 or less. Now I’m asked to pay $1800 for a moving Dino head or a hammer ball lock. (I know there’s more to it than that there’s the GI lights and spinners and so on, but the general idea is $1800 can almost buy a full other game and LE an extra $3500 I can buy something like WPT for example).

#150 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I love bling and I think extra toys are dope but if a game like Met or TWD gives me 95% of the gameplay for 75% of the cost that’s the kind of math I like.

Whatever you're happy with man. Some people actually prefer light beer too.

There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-pins-are-truly-better-as-pros-which-are-musts-as-a-le/page/3?hl=vectorgamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.