(Topic ID: 145725)

Which pinball machine has the most spinners?

By Edenecho

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image.png
#1 8 years ago

Just a curiousity, being quite fond of spinners.
Does anyone know what pinball game has the most spinners on the playfield

#2 8 years ago

High Speed has 3, but that's just off the top of my head.

#3 8 years ago

SOF and IM also have 3. Four spinners seems like a lot. There's probably some crazy EM like Dodge City but with all spinners I don't know about.

#4 8 years ago

Also Harlem Globetrotters has 3. I agree that 4 might seem a bit excessive, but would be cool if it was and if they actually had a different function for the scoring.

#5 8 years ago

Star Gazer and Cheetah both have 3 spinners. I really need to find an EM that has a spinner to add to the collection.

#6 8 years ago

Doesn't blackout have 3?

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Doesn't blackout have 3?

yes three

#8 8 years ago

Hmm.. SOF only has one. Unless I own a weird one

#9 8 years ago

TFTC has 3.

#10 8 years ago

God I'm an idiot...yes it has 3////hahah

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Star Gazer and Cheetah both have 3 spinners. I really need to find an EM that has a spinner to add to the collection.

Hokus Pokus has 3 spinners.

Surf Champ makes good use of the spinner and is a fun EM.

-c

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

God I'm an idiot...yes it has 3////hahah

Yeah, it's pretty hard to notice all three since they're hidden in your face across the entire lower left of the playfield!

pasted_image.pngpasted_image.png

#13 8 years ago

Ipdb seems to have this info in its database -- is there a way to query based on it?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#14 8 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Ipdb seems to have this info in its database -- is there a way to query based on it?

I just did s quick search with the keywords spinners in the "toys etc" field,but dont know if it gets all.
And I could eb hazzled with making a regex query.

#15 8 years ago

We need to break the spinner ceiling!!

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

They unfortunately don't have standardized ways of listing features. Swords of Fury says Spinning targets (3) TX-Sector says Spinners (2), Caribbean Cruise says Rollunder spinners (2), Apollo 13 says Spinner (1), TWD Premium doesn't list the spinners it has at all. It's possible to search, just not super easy and not complete.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

We need to break the spinner ceiling!!

How many spinners will be on LIONMAN!? seems like an easy way to move the max count to 4.

-c

#18 8 years ago

Alvin G. Football / Soccer head-to-head has four spinners.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

How many spinners will be on LIONMAN!? seems like an easy way to move the max count to 4.
-c

#20 8 years ago

I've seen three.

I kind of think that might be the max:
- I think there are limitations when it comes to position/getting good shooting angles.
- Need a balance ... get too many spinners, it takes space away from other features.

#21 8 years ago

Swing Along was the first game with spinners, and it has three.

#22 8 years ago

Hokus Pokus has three as well. That is one fast EM machine with very rippable spinners.

4 years later
#23 4 years ago

I know this is an old topic, but these home models from Briarwood/Brunswick share a common layout with 3 spinners: Aspen (1977), Alive (1978) and Aspen (1979).

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Quoted from DefaultGen:

They unfortunately don't have standardized ways of listing features. Swords of Fury says Spinning targets (3) TX-Sector says Spinners (2), Caribbean Cruise says Rollunder spinners (2), Apollo 13 says Spinner (1), TWD Premium doesn't list the spinners it has at all. It's possible to search, just not super easy and not complete.

I'm sorry for that. In earlier days, they were often entered as "Rollunder spinners" or just "Spinners" until I standardized the term for the IPDB as "spinning targets". There's so many older listings to fix that I fix them only when I am updating a listing for anything else, like when adding pictures.

If you are looking at a specific game manual, it often identifies any kind of spinning feature as just a "spinner" because that's all it took to point you to what playfield feature they were talking about for that game. That's how the term "spinner" got added to many IPDB listings. However, in a database, if you searched on "spinner" you would pull up every kind of spinner there is, like whirlwind spinner, captive ball spinner, backbox spinner, etc. So, I expanded that single-word term into various phrases to make Advanced Searching on any of them more productive. Our Glossary lists the expanded terms, if you search there for "spinner".

Tonight I've fixed every game mentioned in this thread so they will pull up in an Advanced Search in either of two ways:

1) If you want to search for games that have any number of spinning targets, place this phrase into the Notable Features field:

spinning.target

Note that you must place a period (.) between the words to make it a searchable phrase. If you forget the period, you will pull up every game that has those two words floating ANYWHERE in that data field which will get you more than you were looking for.

2) If you want to search for games that have a specific number of spinning targets, place this Regular Expression into the Notable Features field:

spinning.targets?.?[(]n[)]

where n is any number greater than zero and represents the quantity of spinning targets you're looking for.

For instance, searching on

spinning.targets?.?[(]4[)]

will get you the Alvin G. games that were mentioned:

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?ft=spinning.targets%3F.%3F%5B%28%5D4%5B%29%5D&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

You might realize that you can modify the Regular Expression to search Notable Features for other playfield features for which we have standardized terms. For example:

flippers?.?[(]n[)]

pop.bumpers?.?[(]n[)]

If you want to, say, find games that have 3 flippers AND 5 pop bumpers, you would place two Expressions in the Notable Features search box as follows:

flippers?.?[(]3[)] pop.bumpers?.?[(]5[)]

Note that there is a space separating the two Expressions.

Thank you,

Jay

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from I_P_D_B:

I'm sorry for that. In earlier days, they were often entered as "Rollunder spinners" or just "Spinners" until I standardized the term for the IPDB as "spinning targets". There's so many older listings to fix that I fix them only when I am updating a listing for anything else...

...If you want to, say, find games that have 3 flippers AND 5 pop bumpers, you would place two Expressions in the Notable Features search box as follows:
flippers?.?[(]3[)] pop.bumpers?.?[(]5[)]
Note that there is a space separating the two Expressions.
Thank you,
Jay

Wow Jay! That is incredible! I love the power of regular expressions and had no idea IPDB search supported them. I tried it out and it picked out a few games that I didn’t catch mentioned int this thread (like Silver Slugger). Thanks!

#26 4 years ago

I went ahead and added the rest of the 3-spinner games to the Linked Games list. This thread has been very informative. I had no idea that a Brazilian company made variations of Blackout (Black Hole) and Harlem Globetrotters (Basket World Trotter). It’s interesting that Basket World Tour just has a couple of star rollovers in place of the inline drops. Also, apparently I have a thing for 3-spinner games with Blackout, TFTC, and Alive in my collection. I also have a Harlem Globetrotters playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 18.95
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tempe, AZ
Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 64.00
£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 24.95
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-pinball-machine-has-the-most-spinners and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.