Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0316.JPG
100_0314.JPG
100_0112.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hi, guys!

I'm looking forward to buying a new machine. I'm stuck and I can't decide which one to get ($$$ only for one, unfortunately...).

My picks:
- Theatre of Magic
- Medieval Madness
- Addams Family
- Twilight Zone

Here's what I like about them:
- Theatre of Magic
* JPop game (he's my hero...)
* I love the theme
* Extremely playable, one of those games that don't get boring

- Medieval Madness
* No. 1 rated game on PS
* Autoplunger (can't explain, but it's just so cool)
* I enjoy the theme (brings back memories of all those medieval games played on PC)

- Addams Family
* It's the Addams Family... enough said!
* I love playing it on Pinball Arcade, no wonder it's the best selling game of all time
* Very moddable, I love modding pins

- Twilight Zone
* The TV series...
* Highly moddable
* I'm just absolutely fascinated by the game; the toys, the modes, the design (also one of my favourite pins on Pinball Arcade)

If I were to rank them and give them points this is how it'd be:
#1 Addams Family & Theatre of Magic (9/10)
#2 Twilight Zone (8.5/10)
#3 Medieval Madness (7/10)

I wouldn't have a problem deciding if the choice was only between ToM and TAF, but with the Twilight Zone I honestly can't decide.

Any recommendations? (Ignore price criteria, they're all a similar price here in Poland).

#3 9 years ago

Looks like you want to buy ToM.

#4 9 years ago

I know, I know. I love ToM. I'm almost positive about getting it. But then I think about Twilight Zone and The Addams Family and I'm back to square one. Which do you think is more playable from the three?

#5 9 years ago

I have a TOM, I wish I had a TAF, and I know little about the other two. Are other players a factor in your decision? I find TOM is an all-around enjoyed game. Girls in particular choose TOM over my other pins. It's pretty easy to figure out too.

#7 9 years ago

Personally, I'd take Twilight Zone. I think it's a pretty awesome game with a lot going on. I currently onw TZ and TAF. I've played TOM (not that impressed) and have played MM (I'd love to have one someday but not at the price they currently command).

So, based on that, I'd pick TZ.

Dave

#9 9 years ago

TOM is fun to play, but can get old quick when you own it. Did not have the staying power for me. Lasted the least amount of time in my collection. Would pick MM then TAF then TZ over TOM.

#10 9 years ago

All great pins to own someday

#11 9 years ago

I'd go with Twilight Zone, as long as you don't mind tweaking and potentially repairing complicated mechanisms. It's just quirky and fun and no one strategy dominates. Lots of variety with flipper angle, sling and kickout adjustments, and different rubbers. Great all-around package.

Medieval Madness has a great theme and an awesome "easy to learn, difficult to master" setup. It's always satisfying to set up a big madness multiball stack.

Addams family is fun, but not as good as TZ or MM. The "avoid the second multiball lock at all costs" when you're trying to tour the mansion is frustrating, and not in a good way, at least for me. Timing out the magnet also gets old fast.

Theater of Magic is avoidable. The Pinball Arcade version is misleading due to the near impossibility of live catching and cradling, but in the real world it gets old pretty quick. Time out any mode you manage to start on accident and loop the left orbit all day. Half a bajillion orbits and a grand champ score later... meh. The audio also gets kind of unbearable after a while.

#12 9 years ago

Buy theater of magic!

#13 9 years ago

The reason I've got TAF and ToM ranked first together is cause that's where the real dilemma is, I think. Twilight Zone is amazing and I love it, but I'm certain that if something got broken I wouldn't be able to fix it myself, less so in the case of TAF or ToM. There's a narrow price margin between the two, which makes the choice harder.

I think I'll stick with TAF, unless I get some bargain price for TZ (haven't got the pictures yet so I'm waiting for them to assess the condition and what I'm willing to pay). Letting ToM go will be a shame... I was also thinking, if I get ToM I can get TAF in quite some time (but still get it). TAF is much more available on the market here than ToM.

So, guys, ToM or TAF? :S

@Edit So... it comes to this - JPop vs Pat Lawlor

#14 9 years ago

TOM never gets boring? Have you played it enough? I've owned it for several years and it's the JPop game that gets boring the fastest.

Which of these games have you put 50+ plays on? If there are some you have not played at least 50 games on, take them off your list, because you have not played them enough to make and informed decision.

#15 9 years ago

#1 Addams Family
#2 Theatre of Magic
#3 Twilight Zone

But remember, we are all attacked to different machines for different reasons.
I wouldn't dismiss any of those titles because they are all great classic pins.
Even though I put Addams Family on top, if a Twilight Zone in nice shape came up locally for the right money, that would be my #1.

#16 9 years ago

You left out Monster Bash.........great game

#17 9 years ago

I'm not sure if you have a seller for each sitting in the wings, but assuming you did have access to all 4 right now, which are considered harder to find? TOM and MM? Which are easier/more available? TZ and TAF? All things considered, if you'd be happy with either, and if you have access to all right now, I would get the one that would probably be hardest to find/acquire in future.

So TOM or MM, and with MMr, TOM sounds like best choice?

Nice choice to have, luck!

#18 9 years ago

I'd go Addams.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

I'm not sure if you have a seller for each sitting in the wings, but assuming you did have access to all 4 right now, which are considered harder to find? TOM and MM? Which are easier/more available? TZ and TAF? All things considered, if you'd be happy with either, and if you have access to all right now, I would get the one that would probably be hardest to find/acquire in future.
So TOM or MM, and with MMr, TOM sounds like best choice?
Nice choice to have, luck!

I've got all 4 available right now. The whole thing about the game that's "harder to find" makes the whole choice even more complicated. Here's why:

I like TAF and ToM a bit more than I like TZ and MM. TAF isn't that hard to find, ToM is hard to find. TZ isn't, relatively, hard to find, but MM is. So there's a split in the two camps - that's what makes it hard. I know I'll have more fun on a TAF than on a ToM (even though I enjoy BOTH), but I'm just afraid that if I don't get ToM I won't be able to find it in the future (about 5 in Poland, so far as I know. Prices abroad are so high)... It's more of a choice between getting a really rare game that I like, or a game that I really really like.

I think we can forget MM, the only reason I put it up there is cause I found one for 2300 Euro. Planetary Pinball is making the repro so prices will go down soon, I can always get it in 10 years.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

TOM never gets boring? Have you played it enough? I've owned it for several years and it's the JPop game that gets boring the fastest.
Which of these games have you put 50+ plays on? If there are some you have not played at least 50 games on, take them off your list, because you have not played them enough to make and informed decision.

Not 50, no. I've played it 4 times in real life, but I'm spamming it on Pinball Arcade (I know it's not the same). I don't really have a possibility to play these games other than Pinball Arcade, that's just how it is for pinball freaks in eastern Europe... I've played all 4 more than 50 times on PA.

#21 9 years ago

If you don't have a lot of experience with optos/troubleshooting, you might get frustrated with Theatre of Magic at the beginning with trunk issues. When you go to check out the games, look at the ring on top of the board underneath the trunk, if it's not aluminum (silver), you'll want to upgrade that.

You can get self-adjusting opto boards for the outlanes, so you won't have to troubleshoot once you get it going. I picked one up this summer on the lower end, shopped it out, blinged it up, waxed it, and it's a blast & fast. I don't see it leaving anytime soon, and I only have room for three pins.

When people come over to play, it's ALWAYS on Theatre of Magic, they play a game of Lord of the Rings and then move back to ToM every time. Part of what's fun to me at this point in pinball is sharing, and ToM is a newbie-friendly game. Something to think about.

#22 9 years ago

TZ or TAF! TOM is very repetitious and overrated. MM is good but expensive and not woth the 8k plus price point. You can grab TZ and TAF for 5-6k all day and then mod the hell out of them. Good luck!

#23 9 years ago

TOM, TAF, TZ, and MM are all very, very good pins. I would replace MM with AFM and that would be my dream collection. I have really good memories of TZ and TAF. I probably prefer TZ but a little concerned about the packed playfield when it comes to maintenance. TAF has an amazing layout and fun gameplay but I'm not a huge fan of the theme or music. I have only played TOM a few times but really like it. I don't think it would get boring at all. It looks gorgeous, plays fun, and has plenty of shots. If it does get old, it will not be hard to sell it - same for any of these pins.

#24 9 years ago

I'd go: TZ, MM, TOM and then not far behind TAF. All are very good though.
~Steveo

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

I think we can forget MM, the only reason I put it up there is cause I found one for 2300 Euro. Planetary Pinball is making the repro so prices will go down soon, I can always get it in 10 years.

MM for ~$2500? What? That game must be completely trashed. Reproduction on the horizon or not, that's dirt cheap.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Law:

MM for ~$2500? What? That game must be completely trashed. Reproduction on the horizon or not, that's dirt cheap.

Nah, that's a pretty normal price for a pinball game here in Poland. Like I said, the industry's practically dead. I think there are 2 pinball societies in Poland. People can't sell them for more because no one will buy them, unless they try selling abroad.

And, you're kind of right about the "trashed". I mean, they're not trashed. I bought my EATPM for about $800. She works fine, but the playfield has scratches, the decals are sticking off in a few places, the wood is chipped here and there. They're just not properly maintained here.

#28 9 years ago

TZ
Addams
far behind: MM
Not even on the radar screen: Tom

If you REALLY like JPop, consider the less expensive and much more playable WCS '94.

#29 9 years ago

I probably say MM . But that is the one out of your list I have never owned. For you I think TOM is a good choice . I like JPOP games . And The spirit ring shot (Right Ramp ) never gets old. If it is rare it Poland then you could if so inclined possibly sell easier down the road. I personally have a mid sized collection with a lot of variety . I bought my first Theatre of magic in 1997 . Sold it in 2002. Bought it back again at double the price in 2007 . Still own it. Great pinball to convert to LED's .

100_0112.JPG100_0112.JPG
#30 9 years ago

That's probably the one I'll go with then. It'll look great next to my TOTAN. Unless I get a better offer for the Twilight Zone.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

($$$ only for one, unfortunately...).

You are kidding. With the cost of MM you could buy 4 DMD pins...
Assuming MM = 6000 euros. I would buy
Stargate : 1300
WCS94: 1100
Dr Who : 1200
WPT: 2000
total: 5600, give or take a few hundreds. Add an EM if you can.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

Hi, guys!
I'm looking forward to buying a new machine. I'm stuck and I can't decide which one to get ($$$ only for one, unfortunately...).
My picks:
- Theatre of Magic
- Medieval Madness
- Addams Family
- Twilight Zone

You can't go wrong with anything on your list but my personal favorit would be Twilight Zone. I just love how deep the pin is and I praticaly learn of something new every time I play it.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

You are kidding. With the cost of MM you could buy 4 DMD pins...
Assuming MM = 6000 euros. I would buy
Stargate : 1300
WCS94: 1100
Dr Who : 1200
WPT: 2000
total: 5600, give or take a few hundreds. Add an EM if you can.

OP stated previously that the MM he has a line on is 2300 euros. Seems like a steal, even if there are multiple things wrong with it.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

That's probably the one I'll go with then. It'll look great next to my TOTAN.

100_0314.JPG100_0314.JPG 100_0316.JPG100_0316.JPG
#35 9 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

Not 50, no. I've played it 4 times in real life, but I'm spamming it on Pinball Arcade (I know it's not the same). I don't really have a possibility to play these games other than Pinball Arcade, that's just how it is for pinball freaks in eastern Europe... I've played all 4 more than 50 times on PA.

yes, but virtual pinball (tho not the same) is close enough, to give you an understanding of the rules and the gameplay. Enough to be counted as playing the machine. TOM looks great and has probably the best looking cabinet in pinball. But i'd be careful. It gets old real fast and not that eventful to play in a short period of time. I owned TOM for 3 or 4 years, TAF for 7. TZ for 10. I'd still take TZ over any of them with a close second to TAF. If you own either TAF or TZ you really don't need to own the other one in a small collection, because they play and feel so much alike. Rules are almost the same.

Rules are simple. Mode based game. Light the mode start item. Start the mode. Play the mode out, start another. Play all the modes= ending of the game. JP is the poor mans TAF. I find it just as fun. Same with Tommy.

#36 9 years ago

I have all 4 and have had them all for over 10 years now. All games are absolutely mint and play perfect. Here's how I would rate them although it was hard to pick between MM & TZ.

Medieval Madness
Twilight Zone
The Addams Family
Theatre of Magic

I believe just about everyone that stops by to play would rate them close to the same

#37 9 years ago

After reading several posts by the OP, I would recommend buying whichever of the games is in the very best shape. He said he likes them all and they are all about the same price where he is in Poland (which apparently means they are all much cheaper there than here). But he also noted that games there are not well maintained and frequently have visible damage. So I think he should choose based on condition.

Quoted from waltrr:

I believe just about everyone would rate them close to the same.

Maybe, but not me. Several people I know have both TZ and TAF (they seem to be standard games in a lot of people's pin collections). TZ was a must-own for me and I 've had mine for almost twenty years. I've played TAF many times but don't really like it (mainly the theme and the music) and have never even considered owning one. MM is a terrific game, but I have AFM (which I like more) and I never thought I needed MM because the two are so similar. A friend prefers TOTAN to ToM while I prefer ToM to TOTAN, so he has a mint TOTAN and I hunted down a proto ToM for my collection.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Maybe, but not me....

Wow, 100% with everything you said after that.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

The reason I've got TAF and ToM ranked first together is cause that's where the real dilemma is, I think. Twilight Zone is amazing and I love it, but I'm certain that if something got broken I wouldn't be able to fix it myself, less so in the case of TAF or ToM. There's a narrow price margin between the two, which makes the choice harder.
I think I'll stick with TAF, unless I get some bargain price for TZ (haven't got the pictures yet so I'm waiting for them to assess the condition and what I'm willing to pay). Letting ToM go will be a shame... I was also thinking, if I get ToM I can get TAF in quite some time (but still get it). TAF is much more available on the market here than ToM.
So, guys, ToM or TAF? :S
@Edit So... it comes to this - JPop vs Pat Lawlor

Tz has been my most reliable pin and Addams and tom have just as many things that can break . Ive put 3k games on my tz and its still the one I play the most just didn't get bored of it but tom I believe I would get bored of fast which y I haven't owned it yet but I do want to own a Addams very soon.

#40 9 years ago

Gee, thanks for all the tips. I'll get the photos of TZ and decide as soon as I can. Many thanks for all the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 1,059.00
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 1,159.00
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.