(Topic ID: 136077)

Which pin shipping first: Big Lebowski or Hobbit?

By Rick432

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Rick432
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which pin ships first?”

• The Big Lebowski by Dutch Pinball 81 votes
    41%
  • The Hobbit by Jersey Jack Pinball 116 votes
    59%

(197 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lotrshelf.jpg
472035.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rick432.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Dutch Pinball claimed third quarter shipping, but are rookies.

Jersey Jack Pinball have WOZ under their belt and newly improved liquidity, but a pretty complex product to build, with latest rumors at a late September/October start hoped for.

So it might be close.

Guesses? (and no fair voting after JJPs upcoming open house later this month! )

And, yes, we all know Game Of Thrones is on the horizon. But this is a race between the newcomers!

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

Hobbit looked complete hardware-wise in pittsburgh, which we know constitutes a completed game.

Completed, but not shipping.

Lebowski also has some very near complete public showings under its belt as well, by the way, and doesn't appear to be as complex as Hobbit to produce.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

With the added money JJP will be able to ship The Hobbit soon. The issue they were fighting was the money to buy the parts.
Dutch Pinball has money issues and they have never built a pin. They have not shown more than the one pin that they have been dragging around for a long time now.

Agreed that JJP's liquidity appears much improved, and that will help considerably.

But I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) Dutch Pinball has been showing 3-4 prototypes, not just one pin. And they released what appeared to be footage of robotic playfield assembly line at work (?Mirco factory?). Also photos of cabinets and parts from earlier this month. Finally, BoP hardware part of project seems to be done, which is at least SOME indication that they can get at least some level of project accomplished (though BoP 2.0 isn't as ambitious as WOZ obviously).

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Pretty sure that robot just makes the playfields rather than assembles the machines.

Yes, I agree. My wording was poor. I THINK that footage was from Mirco, ie playfield manufacturing, not any mechanical assemblies.

Regarding money issues, I think JJP has dispensed with any realistic liquidity questions. DP is more a question mark, but they clearly have enough sunk in to have obtained legitimate licenses, with industry experience at THAT level at least (unlike Predator). So that would suggest that DP is legit enough to want a return on that significant investment. BoP2.0 being delivered also suggests their liquidity is probably not horrible. The strength of the dollar since preorders closed is also helping them, i would think.

But yeah, a close race I think!

#8 8 years ago

Wow, surprised to see TBL by what, 20%?

#11 8 years ago

Well, at least for now, it appears like TBL is pulling ahead, with DP just releasing a video of routed playfields being clearcoated. How much new info is this really? We already knew the playfields were being constructed, but this new video shows artwork and routing, implying finality in playfield design and substantial resolution of any visual licensing issues. Still no harnesses, though. There is a photo in the past of a few inventoried parts.

JJPs had released a facebook photo of Hobbit playfields in the past. But the stack was unrouted despite images being on them. Furthermore, the playfields were directly stacked, leading some to surmise that these were only test playfields, proofs prior to manufacture but not actual production quality.

However, JJPs open house rapidly approaches, so potential for big reveal there remains.

1 week later
#18 8 years ago

It's the day before JJPs Open House, and Hobbit leads by one vote.

Big announcement tomorrow that might lead to The Hobbit shipping before Lebowski?

Stay tuned...

#19 8 years ago

Whelp, prior to the JJP open house, TH surged ahead by six votes (now only five votes ahead).

But sadly no big TH announcement made.

Will DP counter with its own PR event?

Stay tuned!

2 months later
#22 8 years ago

It is coming down to the wire (sadly), isn't it?

1 month later
#27 8 years ago

Going down to the wire.
Dutch Pinball's latest newsletter suggests that pending newest PCB revision testing, production could begin in January.
Jersey Jack Pinball releasing facebook pictures suggesting at least early production models starting down line.

Too close to call!!

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I'm thinking JJP will ship their first game many months before DP.
DP has yet to evaluate their new board, let alone set up their production line. And it's their first product so expect them to be working through more unforeseen issues along the way. Just my opinion though, I have no inside information.

Entirely possible.

But one could argue that DP has been field testing a fleet of prototypes for at least a year now, so could have a much better grasp on problems. Also, hardware wise, TBL is frankly not as ambitious as TH, so should not be as difficult to produce. Finally, and I hope this is not the case, it is possible that JJP, having to spend the money to adequately deal with initial production issues on WOZ, have the experience to thoroughly vet before committing to produce TH. OTOH, it is possible that TBL comes out quicker, but has more post-production issues due to less testing.

Remember, we're trying to figure out who will ship first. Not who SHOULD ship first based on proper testing. This is not at all intended to besmirch DP. It's merely to point out that JJP, with its WOZ experience, might be more biased towards caution and testing. Also JJP is probably more liquid at this point, so can afford to measure twice and cut once. Might not be the case with DP. But like I said earlier, TBL has fewer complexities and hence fewer potential failures in the first place...

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I'm not so sure about that. The fully articulated mini bowling alley looks very complex. The rug mech is new and the upper playfield adds assembly complications.
I think we've learned that making some prototypes and gearing up a factory to produce hundreds/thousands of machines are two very different things.

So what you're saying is, there are a lot of ins and a lot of outs...

#52 8 years ago

***DUTCH PINBALL WRITES:
December 14, 2015 - The Big Lebowski™ Pinball Production Update

The past weeks were intense, especially for the electronical department of our factory. They have been looking into the electronic issues that we encountered at the Dutch Pinball Open (DPO). One of the results is the redesigned Middle Main Board (MMB).

The factory already started the production of the new boards. Tomorrow we will be at the factory to work out the further details and the final test procedure.

If the tests with the new boards are successful the factory will start the assembly of the first TBL's in January, so we expect to be able to start shipping TBL's in Q1 2016.

Wouldn’t that be a great start of the new year?!

***JERSEY JACK WRITES:
December 18, 2015

Greetings Pinball Fans,

It's a very exciting time at JJP, The Hobbit is on the assembly line! We are building up sub assemblies, playfields, cabinets and full games. The plan is to build a number of games for further extensive testing and then go into full production in January. Our suppliers have been working very hard to get us all the parts we need. Everyone knows that JJP games are loaded with fun, mechanical action, and new technology which keeps players coming back for more. Follow us on Facebook & Twitter as we post more updates and photos in the coming weeks!

2 months later
#70 8 years ago

JJPs facebook post from 12 minutes ago featuring pics of LOTS of Hobbits looking to be at or near completion I think puts them in the lead.

Posts coming in from both TBL and TH preorders however stating March expected deliveries...

2 weeks later
#79 8 years ago

Okay, I'm calling this one, as someone is posting pics of shipping box due to ship this week.

Winner: The Hobbit!

Could have gone either way for a bit.

Thanks for tolerating this lighthearted thread. And I have NO DOUBT that DP's Lebowski will be shipping soon, and will be great!

It'll be good to have both TH and TBL in the marketplace after the JPop and SkitB debacles.

Hopefully Alien and Rob Zombie soon, too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

14,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 210.00
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rick432.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-pin-shipping-first-big-lebowski-or-hobbit?tu=Rick432 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.