(Topic ID: 242317)

Which Pin Left a Perfect First Impression?

By PinDoctor82

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mcuzz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3251A2F4-9519-4D97-A170-B6DC956A0A6A (resized).jpeg

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

After Pinfest, I'm left thinking about a specific game and figured we've all had similar experiences where a game just hits every button possible when we weren't impacted by any hype or other influencing factors. Have you played a pinball machine that you immediately fell in love with unexpectedly, putting it ahead of all of the other games already on your "wishlist"?

For me it's Tron. I played it and it was almost immediately a must-have. I was blown away by every aspect of the game. I honestly can't believe this happened, because I haven't seen Tron Legacy (*yet*); it just totally consumed me and I can't stop thinking about how I need to play it again. Addams Family and Medieval Madness are no longer necessities; I am fixated on a Tron (AFM LE is still safe because it's awesome and my dad loves it). It would immediately become a pin I would never sell or trade if I managed to get one.

I would put this over my experience with Ghostbusters, which was bound to be a success because of my love for that franchise, and because it was the first pin I really played. Perhaps me playing Tron was fate...I didn't get to play it on Friday at Pinfest but I made sure I did on Saturday. What a game...this is the best kind of game too, one that's perfect without anyone else leading to believe it is before I've played it.

#2 4 years ago

Who had a tron le at pinfest? thought they were only pros.

#3 4 years ago

I don't know if it's perfect (ha) but I had a similar experience with No Fear of all games. Walked up to one cold at the Ohio show two years ago and really had never heard anything positive about the game. It was some of the most pure "fun" I had playing pinball in a long time and kept coming back to it and decided I needed one. Had a similar experience at the Ohio show this year too actually with Batman Forever. I had never seen one in the wild before but I had a blast playing it and went back to it the most of any other game there. Over the last few years my idea of "grail" games has moved from games like TAF (which I can basically play at any respectable location now anyway) to games that are just pure fun to shoot over the "classics". Easier on the wallet too!

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

Who had a tron le at pinfest? thought they were only pros.

The one I played had the LE transilite and I was under the impression it was an LE with the topper and lighted ramps (I thought the pro lacked this).

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDoctor82:

The one I played had the LE transilite and I was under the impression it was an LE with the topper and lighted ramps (I thought the pro lacked this).

Most people have modded their pros to look as close to an LE as possible. The question is if it had drop targets? If it did, it is an LE.

#6 4 years ago

For me it was definitely X-Men LE. My buddy bought one right after it was released and had a few of us over to check it out. The artwork instantly grabbed me, especially the mirrored backglass that no pictures can do justice. But the second I saw the start of Magneto multiball, with the magnet/spinning disk combo, I needed one. Not to mention the color changing GI, which I had never seen done before (at least not to that extent), absolutely blew me away. Couldn't stop thinking about it and knew I had to have one someday, but the price wasn't even close to my ballpark at the time.

Not too long after that, my buddy put his up for sale. I jokingly (?) commented that I would trade half my collection for it. He didn't take me up on it, but thankfully someone else saw my comment and told me he would do just that. I ended up trading six machines for a slightly used Wolverine of my own. Never regretted it, even once it tanked in value and the value of the machines I traded shot up. It was a pretty fair trade at the time (7 years ago), but now those machines are probably worth about $12k total. LOL! Still zero regrets as I love that game as much now as I did that first time I saw it. Thankfully the code has come a LONG way since that first night! I have thought about trading it out for something else many times, but just can never go through with it, even though it is one of the longest standing machines in my collection now. Pretty sure it will be here for a long time to come.

#7 4 years ago

Swords of Fury

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

Most people have modded their pros to look as close to an LE as possible. The question is if it had drop targets? If it did, it is an LE.

I guess it may have actually been a pro. You, sir, are awesome. They must have upgraded the lighted ramps sequence. I thought the translites were different between the two and didn't think that they could be switched out, meanwhile I've done that with my Ghostbusters pro. I don't remember drop down targets on it, but I was mesmerized by everything else.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDoctor82:

I guess it may have actually been a pro. You, sir, are awesome. They must have upgraded the lighted ramps sequence. I thought the translites were different between the two and didn't think that they could be switched out, meanwhile I've done that with my Ghostbusters pro. I don't remember drop down targets on it, but I was mesmerized by everything else.

it is a great game. one that totally immerses the player onto the "grid." get one and you won't regret it. so much to do as far as modding. so nice to look at too.

#10 4 years ago

Iron Maiden premium
    Was completely off my radar until I played it on location

#11 4 years ago

I have to agree...Iron Maiden is as awesome as everyone says it is. I just need to listen to some of their music to perhaps appreciate the experience completely the next time I get to play it.

#12 4 years ago

Not sure if I had that feeling this year.
    I was hoping it would be Wonka, but left kinda unsure about that one. I enjoyed ACNC even though the shots are tight. Deadpool was pretty good. Pinball refinery had a nice Pro I enjoyed.
    I also enjoyed playing his Rob Zombie. I may have the chance to pick one up for $4500. Not sure I could really lose on that deal.?

#13 4 years ago

One pin that wowed me and left an perfect first impression was Wizard of Oz. I remember the first time I saw and played one, the color changing lighting, lcd screen, etc was unlike any other pin I’d seen or played. That pin changed pinball and brought in some modern features

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

I was hoping it would be Wonka, but left kinda unsure about that one. I enjoyed ACNC even though the shots are tight. Deadpool was pretty good. Pinball refinery had a nice Pro I enjoyed.
    I also enjoyed playing his Rob Zombie. I may have the chance to pick one up for $4500. Not sure I could really lose on that deal.?

Haggle for 4200 or 4300, they will probably take it

#15 4 years ago

never got the love for tron. sold mine in about 6 months. woz was prob the last game that gave me the "wow" factor.

#16 4 years ago

Black knight for me. I thought it was fast and furious. The knight himself was so cool. Considering buying a nib. First time since Metallica.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

Haggle for 4200 or 4300, they will probably take it

Depends what mods it has. If it has the lcd screen in the apron i'd go 4500. It is a fun game that was happened with really poor code for too long. Also one of those games that seems had teething issues with reliability due to soldering on coils.

#18 4 years ago

I still remember playing Stern ST pro for the first time. Back then, I was new to the hobby and was only interested in B/W pins. I saw ST at a show and the light show got my attention. I didn't know anything about the game and not really into the theme. After playing a game, I had a new appreciation for Stern and not long after bought a pro for myself.

#19 4 years ago

Forgot about Oktoberfest. I wanted to play it more but the games were so long that waiting in a short line took FOREVER. I did play it once. Seemed like an abundance of screens where you had to scroll through and choose things. Maybe that's why lines took forever.

#20 4 years ago

Houdini. Yes really! The presentation is so good, and despite the misplaced concern about the shots, it is a really deep
    And fun game, still is going on a year in

#21 4 years ago

I keep buying games I have never played before.

Every game in my line up I bought (second pm, but first one I had never seen in person) without ever having seen in person. I still have yet to play my AMH due to a board problem and Alien just came home yesterday. Also, have not played my usa football (shopping it), but it should be similar to the ag soccer ball I got the same day.

Of those I'd say mystery castle is the one that never lets down. Simple ruleset. Fun layout. Great theme, sounds, and while it does not have any really expensive mechanisms in it, there are clever ideas to wow guests (hidden things in the translite, second gi, hidden ball capture on the right orbit that is only utilized sometimes. It is a very unique game and will only get rid of mine to find a nicer example.

#22 4 years ago

Houdini for me too. Played it at on location at Mom’s in College Park, kept going back to it that night, made a special trip back to play it later and confirmed that I wanted to buy it. Still loving it after 10 months especially with incredible code update support.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Houdini. Yes really! The presentation is so good, and despite the misplaced concern about the shots, it is a really deep
    And fun game, still is going on a year in

#23 4 years ago

LOTR is my most memorable “love at first play” experience. It remains one of my all time favorites.

More recently, I really liked Aerosmith from the start and still dig it. And GoTG as well, although I’ve not played GoTG all that much.

#24 4 years ago

Champion Pub for me. I played it for the first time at TPF. It always had a big line, but I was able to play it a few times.

I was able to buy one soon after the show. It is such an incredible game with killer toys and unique gameplay. It is unlike anything else, and I love in in my lineup. My wife and kids love it too.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Champion Pub for me. I played it for the first time at TPF. It always had a big line, but I was able to play it a few times.
    I was able to buy one soon after the show. It is such an incredible game with killer toys and unique gameplay. It is unlike anything else, and I love in in my lineup. My wife and kids love it too.

My first time to play CP was at a pinball bar and it was surrounded by some of the latest 2017-2018 releases. IMO none of them compared to it.

I can’t wait to pick one up someday.

#26 4 years ago

I really enjoyed Dialed In, halfway through the first ball I turned to my wife and said I wanted one. I have not played it since so I will put more time on one before I purchase

#27 4 years ago

First time I ever laid hands on Scared Stiff, I knew I had to have her.

#28 4 years ago

The Walking Dead. One of the only modern Sterns that does theme integration well. And great rule set.

#29 4 years ago

Theater of Magic for me in 95. Heard about it via the MK3 hints and played it my first day of college. It was pretty sweet!

#30 4 years ago

Probably T2 for me. 1st dmd game. I remember going to the arcade after school and there was about 20 kids gathered around it all watching the animations.

I haven't stopped thinking about bksor since playing it 11 days ago. Got about 20 games on it and love it. Can't wait to try it where I can hear the callouts and music.

#31 4 years ago

Recently MGC show was BK,
    Long time ago it was Woz.

#32 4 years ago

A while back I my league got a Rollergames and it became one of my favorite System 11's pretty quickly. I wasn't super familiar with the game, but once I figured out all the rules everything clicked. "Kick butt!" put a stupid grin on my face too, I wasn't expecting that much 90s cheese, haha.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

I had the same feeling about Wonka...the hype really affected that one. Great game, I just feel that it needs something more.

#34 4 years ago

Iron man!

#35 4 years ago

I 2nd BKsor.. Played 15 or more games at Pinfest Friday. Saturday morning ordered my 2nd NIB pin. “CAN’T WAIT”

#36 4 years ago

Caribbean Cruise
    Big House
    Iron Maiden

#37 4 years ago

WOZ , the most impressive first game experience I've had. Almost exactly the game you hoped it would be.

#38 4 years ago

when it came out, High Speed, i had nit seen or heard any gane like it
    with the big loop around, even the layout was different

#39 4 years ago

Beatles. Totally blew me away. Bought one a week later

#40 4 years ago

It's a virtual coin flip between Beatles and Deadpool, but I think I give the slight edge to DP. It really had that one more game feeling for me. Both awesome pins!

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

WOZ , the most impressive first game experience I've had. Almost exactly the game you hoped it would be.

What he said.

#42 4 years ago

The variation in answers is what makes this hobby awesome...so many awesome games, so many different tastes.

#43 4 years ago

I think it is hard to have a great first impression from a game unless it truly introduces something unique to you, as a player. I think for most of us that have played hundreds of different pins, that means something new and fresh.

JJP certainly sets the bar high these days for cutting edge (for the pinball world, anyway) innovations.

#44 4 years ago

TSPP for me. It was like 2003-2004 and I wasn't "following pinball" that much. My only info was what I happened to see at the arcades I would visit. Yeah, I owned a JD, TFTC, and Funhouse at the time, but I didn't follow the boards and was pretty much on autopilot. Didn't know "what was out there" until I PLAYED it out there. But man, when I played TSPP... WOW what a fun shot fest!

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I think it is hard to have a great first impression from a game unless it truly introduces something unique to you, as a player. I think for most of us that have played hundreds of different pins, that means something new and fresh.
    JJP certainly sets the bar high these days for cutting edge (for the pinball world, anyway) innovations.

I agree that it's hard to have a perfect first impression, which is why the Tron experience blows me away. I never anticipated that. I realize that I haven't been on this forum much, but I've been extremely fortunate to play A LOT of pinball over the past few years since getting my first machine...I played plenty of games at this point, and many of them quite a bit, and Tron stood out. I hope you find one that makes you feel the way I did with Tron!

#46 4 years ago

TAF for me in 1992.

#47 4 years ago

MM for me. First time I played it was recently, in 2016 at Pinball Wizard Arcade Pelham, NH (RIP). I am working on the same piece lineup she had at PWA with IJ TPA and NBAFB sandwiching MM. That's my basement goal, that small piece of the lineup she had at PWA, still looking for IJ TPA, hopefully will get remade. Actually all 3 of those pins I guess then were perfect first impressions.

#48 4 years ago

For me it was TRON in 2011. I played the game and bought my first NIB the next day. Same happened with XMEN. Love them both.

#49 4 years ago

Iron Maiden is the only pin I played that I purchased on the spot after 10 games.

#50 4 years ago

World cup soccer 94

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-pin-left-a-perfect-first-impression and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.