(Topic ID: 218509)

Which pin do you like better Tron or IM?

By rai

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by J85M
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which one do you prefer?”

• Tron 74 votes
    60%
  • Iron Man 50 votes
    40%

(124 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A2A1F8E6-2328-4FDF-9220-6F864B8753BE (resized).jpeg
4A4AF8F9-6B5F-43F2-987C-74BA9B855CAE (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

I’m not asking which game should I buy since I own both. Just to discuss what pin do people prefer. They’re both similar designs, same designer, same technology mostly DMD movie screen capture, similar rules not identical but more or less short rules. I think Tron has a bit more rules but both are short and sweet not complex Tspp, Woz, LotR, TWD type rules. Both made in the same era 2010/11 and have been been played by most people and owned by a lot. Both are rated similar 23/28 on the top 100.

I was going to add a poll option for tie like them both the same, but I decided to just put two choices so you have to decide which even if it’s a tiny bit more than the other.

Also please explain what you like more about one or the other.

#2 5 years ago

Gotta go IM for me. Tron I've always felt doesn't have enough to shoot for with the left flipper. And then one of the shots it's does have - I never feel compelled to make the through the pops orbit shot, perhaps I'm missing some rules or incentive there. Maybe I need more time on Tron to appreciate the nuances more.

#3 5 years ago

Easy for me..... Tron. Agree that both are light on rules but tron is more complex than IM, and has the best looks/sound combo in pinball. Cool toy as well. I don't like the bash toy in IM and quite frankly it just didn't grab me besides being fast.

EDIT - ton of shots on the left flipper right? Flyn arcade, disc shot, right spinner and upper left is gem and ramp....

#4 5 years ago

I’m slightly towards Tron because of the atmosphere, sound/music although IM is also quite nice in those areas as well.

#5 5 years ago

IM lasted about a month here. Tron is still around years later

#6 5 years ago

I haven't played much Tron. What is the gem shot I hear about?

#7 5 years ago

The upper flipper shot above the side ramp and below the drop target bank.

Sometimes you can make it better by bounce off the TRON standup targets below the upper flipper.

4A4AF8F9-6B5F-43F2-987C-74BA9B855CAE (resized).jpeg4A4AF8F9-6B5F-43F2-987C-74BA9B855CAE (resized).jpeg

#8 5 years ago

Tough call, i love the iron man theme better, but fun factor goes to tron. Both are the complete package.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

The upper flipper shot above the side ramp and below the drop target bank.
Sometimes you can make it better by bounce off the TRON standup targets below the upper flipper.

That does look tricky.

#10 5 years ago

I like tron a lot, but I voted IM because there is no other game like it, fast and furious and it is the best example of game where you just want to push the start button one more time, only to get dirt thrown back in your face.

#11 5 years ago

Stock form it's a virtual tie for me, however once fully modded TRON just moves into another realm. I do love TimeBandit's mods he's developing for an IM, and due to those it's moving up towards the top of my wishlist...

#12 5 years ago

IM for the adrenaline rush. Thanks Lyman!

#13 5 years ago

Tron last one week in my gameroom, i thought i will love it but i don't find it very fun.
IM is one of the best pinball ever created, it was my first Stern and it will be always in my gameroom. Fast, furious, addictive, badass
The favorite with friends and guests, and also for me, always a great fun to accomplish Jericho or to make the Do or Die hurry up.
I don't like long games so it's fine for me. My others favorites machines are BSD and Met.

#14 5 years ago

Super tough decision here for me as well. Had an IM for about a year and loved it but Tron get's me engaged more from a theme perspective. If I had to play 100 games total between the two I'm betting I would land at 55 on Tron and 45 on IM. That's how close it would be for me.

Agreed on the left flipper on Tron - Flynn Arcade is the standard shot with it but the disc is another norm for me. The through the pops shot is very lucrative in SOS as it lights Flynn's arcade which will advance you one section. I.E. can't get the GEM shot shoot through the pops and then into Flynn to get passed it. It's also required to light your second + Light Cycle MB's Unless you just do a hard plunge with a new ball into the post.

For IM - The left outlane just frustrates me. If that sling was a standard sling shape and not designed to funnel the ball even more out I think I would enjoy the game a lot more.

Both are super fun and shows you don't need a whole lot of bells and whistles to make a fun pinball machine. Good shots, good music/callouts and great rules is the key.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

That does look tricky.

It’s better when the target bank is down, ideally would hit inner loop to upper flipper to Gem.

Can see it better with unpopulated PF yellow path loop leads to pop area. A2A1F8E6-2328-4FDF-9220-6F864B8753BE (resized).jpegA2A1F8E6-2328-4FDF-9220-6F864B8753BE (resized).jpeg

#16 5 years ago

Tron and IM are the only machines that I have owned multiple at the same time. Had Tron pro and LE for ages before selling the LE. Currently have IM original and IMVE in the house.

You couldn't have picked two more awesome games to compare.

My vote goes to Tron, but then my vote always goes to Tron regardless of what is being compared.

#17 5 years ago

Tough choice two of sterns best games but i think i like iron man more because it's tougher and it makes you want to comeback for more.

#18 5 years ago

I thought the bottom left flipper can hit the disc shot too (in addition to right spinner). Top left can hit the ramp and gem so both are used pretty well.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

Gotta go IM for me. Tron I've always felt doesn't have enough to shoot for with the left flipper. And then one of the shots it's does have - I never feel compelled to make the through the pops orbit shot, perhaps I'm missing some rules or incentive there. Maybe I need more time on Tron to appreciate the nuances more.

I could be wrong but I think I hit the disc shot with the left flipper too (bottom) - top left is used for that loop shot and Gem so you're getting action out of both...

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

I thought the bottom left flipper also hits the disc? I know top left shoots ramp and gem so both are utilized....

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

I could be wrong but I think I hit the disc shot with the left flipper too (bottom) - top left is used for that loop shot and Gem so you're getting action out of both...

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

I thought the bottom left flipper also hits the disc? I know top left shoots ramp and gem so both are utilized....

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

- I never feel compelled to make the through the pops orbit shot, perhaps I'm missing some rules or incentive there.

Helps stringing combos together to complete Light Cycle MB but yeah I don;t shoot it a lot...of course those shots are never the easiest (thanks PL).

Tron is pretty perfect in a lot of ways, but Portal is a bit of a let down. But it has great, simple rules that are not the easiest to master. But shit like doubling score with SOS lit is just great.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

More

Yeah I should have clarified, bottom left flipper shots seem limited to me - you can hit disc/center shot, pop orbit, and Flynn's arcade IIRC. I don't think you can backhand Quora or the left ramp. Strictly just thinking of cradled, planned shots.

Maybe its just me and that is pretty standard number. I think if I could backhand quora that would drastically open up shot options at any given time. But I guess you need to factor in the upper flipper, so I'll just shutup.

#25 5 years ago

Theme = Tron.
Gameplay = Iron Man.

#26 5 years ago

This is such a tough decision. If I never owned either, I'd pick Tron. It's a great theme. Lit ramps are amzazing. The Gem shot is fantastic. But I've had my fill of Tron, so I want Iron Man.

I'm a one ball game though. So, if I'm not looking for that experience, it's Tron.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

I think if I could backhand quora that would drastically open up shot options at any given time.

It would make the game too easy though. You have GEM, a total bitch shot, but other than that everything is easy. The Quorra to Gem shots are only real tough ones. EDIT: Other than right orbit which can be ignored

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Other than right orbit which can be ignored

Yes it can be ignored, but that shot lights the mystery award at the scoop. That comes in very handy in SOS.

#29 5 years ago

Tron has a true skill shot, I believe IM is simply the rollover point variety and with post blocker enabled it’s not really a skill shot per say. I do disposable the post blocker on IM but don’t really try for the skill shot because it’s not overly lucrative. I prefer the post disabled seems to make the game faster.

#30 5 years ago

I'm not a huge fan of either theme... and I got sick of looking at plastic toy action figures mounted on the IM playfield... but I really like the game play IM offers. Tron is slightly better to look at, but the game has never really done much for me.

I like IM better (happily owned it for nearly 2 years), but ultimately could do without the way the IM theming was executed.

Rai... I'm guessing you're trying to figure out which one you'll eventually sell?

#31 5 years ago

Both are great pins. Tron would be a more long term keeper- Iron Man has some short game times that keep you coming back for more. That’s a tough question: which one is better. I did own a tron for a few months and it just didn’t click with me. Both pins are great to play on location, I just don’t think I’d own one

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Yes it can be ignored, but that shot lights the mystery award at the scoop. That comes in very handy in SOS.

It does? Let's put it this way, Ive received like 20,000 mystery awards and hit that shot less than 100 times But never got a mystery award during SOS that I can recall.
I never knewm that; thanks.

#33 5 years ago

I like Tron's music a touch more, but Iron Man has faster and more satisfying gameplay, IMO. It's my 'go to' for a quick fun game.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Rai... I'm guessing you're trying to figure out which one you'll eventually sell?

I’d sell Tron first (I suspect Stern will remake Tron). I don’t want to sell either, but if I did sell Tron it would be hopefully to get a VE especially if they would get a real LCD version like Spike 2. IM are not worth enough for me to sell if it’s just getting $5K back I’d rather keep it.

Does anyone think Stern would really remake Tron with full LCD clips or would they just remake the Tron Pro from 7 years ago dmd blurry display?

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

but if I did sell Tron it would be hopefully to get a VE especially if they would get a real LCD version like Spike 2.

That's a dream alright. What are they gonna put on the LCD?

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

That's a dream alright. What are they gonna put on the LCD?

Movie assets like Batman66 does.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Movie assets like Batman66 does.

Huh that would be the shock of the decade; and pretty sweet.
Of course they should probably do both Legacy and the original since it's cheaper in bulk apparently.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Does anyone think Stern would really remake Tron with full LCD clips or would they just remake the Tron Pro from 7 years ago dmd blurry display?

I would buy another TRON if they did an LCD VE, but I just don’t see Stern investing all that time and money into developing all the assests needed for an LCD display, why go to all that expense when they know a TRON VE will sell with or without an LCD display.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Huh that would be the shock of the decade; and pretty sweet.

I agree on both points. Gomez has stated before that any VE's or reruns ALWAYS run on the original hardware, and this has held true. Not saying things don't ever change in the future, but if Tron VE ever came out I would bet plenty of money it will be SAM with a DMD.

#40 5 years ago

Tron was only game i couldnt wait to sell, i dont get the hype at all.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

But never got a mystery award during SOS that I can recall.

I guess it's not really a mystery award. But every time the scoop is lit during SOS, it awards a shot. So if you're having trouble with Quorra or Gem and the scoop is lit, hit that and it will award you that shot.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’d sell Tron first (I suspect Stern will remake Tron). I don’t want to sell either, but if I did sell Tron it would be hopefully to get a VE especially if they would get a real LCD version like Spike 2. IM are not worth enough for me to sell if it’s just getting $5K back I’d rather keep it.

Just my personal take: If you like the game, keep the older version. It has boards that are repairable down the road... If you're holding out hope for some new reboot version, then you'll go spike and you introduce node boards and no schematics. Otherwise, any VE is likely to just be what you already have (which, I personally like the older style cabinet heads better than the new lightweight and backbox heads... not to mention documented cabinet issues).

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

More
Just my personal take: If you like the game, keep the older version. It has boards that are repairable down the road... If you're holding out hope for some new reboot version, then you'll go spike and you introduce node boards and no schematics. Otherwise, any VE is likely to just be what you already have (which, I personally like the older style cabinet heads better than the new lightweight and backbox heads... not to mention documented cabinet issues).

Good point.

I was surprised what Stern did with SM VE but it was still in the same platform as the original version.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

More
Good point.
I was surprised what Stern did with SM VE but it was still in the same platform as the original version.

If you're playing the sell game, it's tron ALL DAY. Honestly, besides the dead head IM lovers, that game is a hard sell b/c it's so simple (to the avg buyer). Tron on the other hand - you post one that is a looker and that sucker is gone in a day or two. IM you can bling out all day and it's just not moving.

The problem with Tron (and I own a really nice one) is I would love to move it and take advantage of the market but the game is just so damn unique. Not only will any non pinball person stop in their tracks and say holy shit that's an awesome looking machine but it has the rules, it has the cool layout with the top LEFT flipper where many three flipper games go right, the music is insane and the list goes on. The call outs to me are the weakest point but with pinballbrowser I replaced the ones I don't like (and replaced some music with the tron legacy remix album - disc mode I'm looking at you.....which reminds me - I need to share that!) - the game is real deal.

I've had 3 trons. The first I had no idea what to think of it and sold it as my mind was after other machines. The second Tron I started to realize why this game was great and after making it to that SOS (and that AWESOME music) I was like this game is really good. I ended up selling it b/c market was insane. 3rd tron - I literally bought the second tron I sold from the owner b/c I missed it that much and it was such good condition, I had to have it back. I then stole @gorilliabiscuits everything on his tron and it currently sits in my gameroom.

#45 5 years ago

Tron. I own both, and I love IM. But Tron is special. It’s perfect because I can do everything to get to the Wizard mode... but not all in one game. To me that makes it perfect because every time I step up to the game I feel like I’m going to beat it. But then I fail. It’s wonderful.

#46 5 years ago

I have owned both and Tron just has a special one more game feel with just the right amount of flow. I will never make the mistake of selling Tron again. IM I may own again someday but probably not.

#47 5 years ago

60:40 split currently.

I believe these are both special pins, I can see why they both are ranked here not too high not too low (seems about right) it does seem like at least on Pinside the games with more/deeper rules get ranked higher (ST, SM, AcDc, Met, TWD, Tspp, LotR) ranked higher. Not sure if that's more to do with the better rules or some other reasons. I do believe the blurry animations do not help when you can compare to custom dots on games like TWD and Met or more toys deeper rules on older pins like LotR and Tspp.

I did just sell LotR and can see why it's ranked higher with the truly epic feel and cinematic rules, but sometimes playing LotR was more like work and IM / Tron just seem fun and playful every time I play.

#48 5 years ago

Said it before - Tron all done up (le or pro) with the lights switched off and volume set all the way up with a sub attached puts you on the grid. No game I have ever owned or played immerses the player into the theme like tron.

#49 5 years ago

This was a tough decision for me, but voted TRON, I’ve had both games since release, brought them both back NIB again after I had to sell off my collection, so with that in mind if I ever had to sell my collection again it would be TRON that stays and IM would go.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-pin-do-you-like-better-tron-or-im?hl=pinkopf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.