(Topic ID: 198514)

Which pin deserves to be preserved in a time capsule for all eternity?

By Frippertron

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Phat_Jay
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vagabond5a95cb1f4fefa440e05f85037e36d2665dab3255 (resized).jpg
IMG_9212 (resized).JPG
IMG_9963 (resized).JPG
Annie-zoom (resized).JPG
image-2 (resized).jpg
IMG_3058 (resized).JPG
DSCF3121 (resized).JPG
image-8 (resized).jpg
SpaceInvadersPinball (resized).jpg
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

If an alien race came here in a million years to inspect the the games men play, and all pinball enthusiasts were asked to take a vote, what pin do they deserve to see. Is it really MM, or can we think outside the box? What say you? Is MM is the best , does it represent the players the best? Any discussion is appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

IMO, yes, MM.

#3 6 years ago

Iron Man. Let our alien overlords be brutalized like we were.

#4 6 years ago

TZ.....This Period in Time will believe in Anything!

#5 6 years ago

I vote for an electromechanical game. Maybe something like Space Mission or something with a distinctly human theme--like Blue Chip.

I say that because it'd represent us like that golden record they put on the Voyager mission. The simplicity of the technology represents the human ingenuity, and what could be done with so little (plus it'd be repairable for those aliens, and survive the time capsule), and the artwork is a little sliver of the human condition--be it the natural curiosity to explore and our ability to overcome adversary (Space Mission/Odyssey), or the case of something like Blue Chip, our ability to think, create, explore, and discover.

#6 6 years ago

They would more interested in EMs I think. All the wires and mechanical relays and springs...

#7 6 years ago

WOZ! Not even aliens a million years from now will be able to reach the games wizard mode on standard 3 ball settings, lol.

#8 6 years ago

I like all the answers so far. Didn't some guy in Europe attempt to make a "deep" EM . The inside looked like farm equipment from before Kennedy was President.

#9 6 years ago

It's gotta be Addams Family. If you divided pinball into just two eras, there's before Addams Family and after Addams Family.

#10 6 years ago

NGG.

#11 6 years ago

AFM. Sends a message of what we would have done to them if they came a million years earlier.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

AFM. Sends a message of what we would have done to them if they came a million years earlier.

I like attack from mars. It's kind of a theme from the 50’s-60’s thats reimagined in a 90's perspective. But then in a millennium it would be unique because inter planetary travel would be common place.

#13 6 years ago

Gotta go with TZ...a truly excellent game.

#14 6 years ago

SpaceInvadersPinball (resized).jpgSpaceInvadersPinball (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago

SWLE .... It's not fair that only we have to deal with all of the fighting back and fourth about this game. Perhaps if they open the time capsule and start playing it they will to find themselves arguing if this is a good game or is it a overpriced cheap money grab.

Let those bastards deal with what we have had to put up with over the last couple of months.

That will teach those dam aliens.

#16 6 years ago

image-8 (resized).jpgimage-8 (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago

Four million B.C, dinosaurs? They'll think we're idiots.

#18 6 years ago

WOZ I think from a culture point of view the theme based on the 1939 musical film and WOZ game play would be an excellent candidate .

#19 6 years ago

Hard not to say Addams... best selling and all.

#20 6 years ago

ice cold beer

#21 6 years ago

Monte Carlo with a note. Please don't do this.

#22 6 years ago

I would go with Stargazer. Excellent playing, beautiful looking and they'll love ripping the three spinners.

#23 6 years ago

If we were honest it would have to be a game that showed our war-like nature. Any of these would do.

DSCF3121 (resized).JPGDSCF3121 (resized).JPG

Then again, Total Nuclear Annihilation would be perfect, but I don't own that one!

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

WOZ I think from a culture point of view the theme based on the 1939 musical film and WOZ game play would be an excellent candidate .
» YouTube video

Love Wizard of Oz the movie, but WOZ machine feels just slightly "off" to me. The characters, music, dialog are so ingrained in us. WOZ diverges just enough from the original to MISS for me. Guessing licensing issues resulted in no Judy Garland callouts (?). I absolutely love the visuals and lightshow of WOZ.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

If an alien race came here in a million years to inspect the the games men play, and all pinball enthusiasts were asked to take a vote, what pin do they deserve to see.

BIG BEN

The aliens uncover the EM and say. "There is no intelligent life here!" But another points to the words carved into the side of the Big Ben pin. As he wipes the dust off and peers down to look and reads the letters. N-I-C-W-A-S-H-E-R-E.

#26 6 years ago

Preferably a game with lithium batteries. Otherwise it is just a cruel joke.

#27 6 years ago

As far as EM's go. It's hard not to include Bally's Fireball. An all time classic of art, design, and gameplay.

#28 6 years ago

Funhouse

Magical, innovative, and the best toy in pinball.

Put one in the Smithsonian also.

#29 6 years ago

SFII. let them learn from our mistakes.

#30 6 years ago

Space Shuttle. And leave a cryptic msg with it explaining how pinball was almost dead until this pin came along.

#31 6 years ago

If I was actually going to put a pinball in a time capsule, I'd go with something

1) Unlicensed. When they open the capsule a thousand years from now, they're not going to know who Metallica are.

2) Probably EM, so that the people of the future could fabricate replacement parts more easily. If there's a solid state machine with completely open-source components, I might go with that.

If this was for a museum, and not a time capsule, I'd probably skip the EM requirement and go with MM or Getaway.

In either case I would include as complete as possible plans, part-lists, repair guides, for the machine as a whole and also each individual components. On paper, on microfilm, and (if it's going in a time capsule) also etched into a piece of aluminum. (Probably on a digital format too, just for the hell of it, though I wouldn't expect it to be useful for too long.)

#32 6 years ago

Maybe Gottlieb's 1950 'Just 21'. It has a rocket on the cabinet, and our first rockets were launched in 1950. They'd see the cabinet art along with all the mechanical components inside and probably laugh. But they'd say, "This is when they started thinking big".
From IPDB

IMG_3058 (resized).JPGIMG_3058 (resized).JPG

#33 6 years ago

Another vote for TNA because, A) Space Aliens love sick beats and light shows, and B) By the time it reaches them, the game's ending message of "You Failed!" will (ironically) have already come to pass and it will be of historic significance to both us and them.
Plus,
TNA's build quality will be better suited for space travel and of course it's "easy to learn, hard to master" challenge, will keep them coming back for more.

An EM would work too.
William's Rocket or Satellite perhaps?

#34 6 years ago

The million years / alien audience makes me think an EM would be the way to go. At that point, the audience is so far removed from how we think about pinball that the differences between TZ or MM are irrelevant. For that audience, I think you want something to put forth the essence of what the game of pinball is about in the simplest most understandable format possible and that's an EM. As which game specifically, I'm partial to Card Whiz but I don't think it will matter much to aliens a million years from now.

If we're just putting a pin in a time capsule for 100 years 'Dialed In' would be perfect. It's a good game and there's no licensed theme to confuse people. They'll find the references to cell phones, drones, etc... hilariously dated and it will make for an excellent museum piece.

#35 6 years ago

Despicable me. Shows enginuity and people having fun with friends.

#36 6 years ago

PinBot. Make them think we have a space robot god that plays pinball with the planets, and that the machine is an ode/shrine to our one true god of the solar system.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Funhouse
Magical, innovative, and the best toy in pinball.
Put one in the Smithsonian also.

This would be good to scare them off. Or Stargate to make them think we mastered space travel before them and make them jealous.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

They'll think we're idiots.

Well.....

#39 6 years ago

How 'bout a crude-yet-era-sophisticated solid state that tries to be an EM at times, with art that can't decide what it wants to be as it represents the cultural evolution of western humanity and its technology, and its constant yearning for curiosity and better / different things?

I vote for Data East's Time Machine.

#40 6 years ago

Speak for yourself, now. Jk. I guess they might give us some pity for our condition.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Speak for yourself, now. Jk. I guess they might give us some pity for our condition.

Think about it. It is one million years in the future and in the time capsule we put something that represents our four million years in the past which would show them what we overcame to get where we are now. Just thinking out loud....

#42 6 years ago

ASOA

#43 6 years ago

Just for the irony of it... Time machine.

#44 6 years ago

Certainly not MM. It's just another shoot up the middle DMD game. Lets make it something innovative at least.

John

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Certainly not MM. It's just another shoot up the middle DMD game. Lets make it something innovative at least.
John

So...AFM?

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

John

Yeah, I don't know how they come up with that one as a given anyway.

I think we should put your EM Charlies Angels in there because aliens probably like hot chicks too.

image-2 (resized).jpgimage-2 (resized).jpg

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I think we should put your EM Charlies Angels in there because aliens probably like hot chicks too.

Yep, I can confirm aliens like hot chicks. Especially when they have green hair.
Annie-zoom (resized).JPGAnnie-zoom (resized).JPG
IMG_9963 (resized).JPGIMG_9963 (resized).JPG
IMG_9212 (resized).JPGIMG_9212 (resized).JPG

#49 6 years ago

That would be kinda cool but still not innovative at all.

John

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, I don't know how they come up with that one as a given anyway.

Good idea, a EM Charlie's Angels..........yeah yeah. O'wait a minute, did you say MY Em. Charlie's Angels ?? Now hang on there a second......LOL.

John

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
£ 49.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-pin-deserves-to-be-preserved-in-a-time-capsule-for-all-eternity?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.