New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 252508)

Which pin as a first...?

By scootss

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by scootss
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I've been internally debating with myself whether it's time to buy one and if so...which one to buy.

I think I've finally convinced myself that this plan is proceeding (yay!) but now I'm stuck in a major analysis paralysis on which one to buy.

In general, it's between machines of my youth (Jurassic Park or Demolition Man, most likely); something modern (most likely Aerosmith); or something cheap just to get started (Gottlieb's Wipout has me intrigued - it's for a ski house).

I'm looking for something fun and won't be a total maintenance nightmare. I'm handy, but haven't worked on a pin before.

What do you think...?

thanks!
    -S

#2 1 year ago

My vote is for one of the CGC remakes. Classically awesome game play, solid construction, and no known production issues.

#3 1 year ago

WipeOut is a fun game.

#4 1 year ago

Aerosmith would be a good choice fun pin with solid rules also helps if your an Aerosmith fan. Which jurassic park are you referring to the new or old one. Demo man is fun fast flowing wide body usually doesn't break down much.

#5 1 year ago

Love my Wipe out but it's a simple game and at its age, will require some ongoing repairs.
    It will also be challenging to find some of the parts if they are worn or broken in your example (ramp under the launch shooter ramp, ski lift rubber, etc)

Aerosmith can be have for around 4K and because it's a fairly simple mechanical game, less to break and it's newer "should" break less

I own them both and like them for vastly different reasons.

You'll need to decide how deep into the hobby you'll eventually go and how hands on you want to get surrounding repairs. If you don't overpay, both games could be sold off to fund a different title, Aerosmith would likely be the quick sale

#6 1 year ago

Thanks for the quick comments!

- CGC - probably more than I want to spend right now

- Aerosmith - big fan and I like the new stren machines

- Jurassic Park - would be the 90s data east one. I have some bias about getting a data east. Is that legitimate?

- Didn't think I would find someone with both Wipeout AND Aerosmith. Guess I came to the right place!! Wipeout probably is more than I should take on right now...

A few other details... The house it is going in will be rented occasainally, so it won't be routed, I do expect the game to get more abuse that a true HUO

The other 90s pin I am looking at is a Terminator 2. Thoughts on T2 vs JP vs Aerosmith?

#7 1 year ago

I vote for Wipeout.
    Gottlieb system 3's have a reputation of being bulletproof, so it should be a solid pin for you, even if its getting up in age.
    It's the cheapest pin on your list, and great bang for your buck in my opinion.
    You don't have to be a pinball wizard to enjoy a gottlieb system 3. Casual/new players really enjoy them.
    If it's going in a ski house, you have to go with Wipeout. The theme and callouts are perfect!

7 months later
    #8 4 months ago

Just came across my old thread...in case anyone is losing sleep wondering how it ended up...

I bought a Jurassic Park and so far am really enjoying it. It arrived with a few fun (not fun) fixes required but she's playing well now!

Next up is probably Aerosmith. Can't have just one, right...?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    SIlverball In Play
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 50.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 11.49
    $ 78.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 27.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 0.10
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Stuff
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 75.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 8,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside