Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by jk2171
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Ok I have a printed out color guide that works ok. But the more I get involved in this the more I want a better guide that matches things better and is easier to use. I have foun a few on eBay. Problem is ther seems to be a million different kinds of guides Bridge, Tints, CMYK, coated, uncoated. Which is the best? What do I need. How many volumes? I don't want to spend hundreds on these things either. I'm not an interior decorator. Which ones does everyone have?

#2 12 years ago

A coated one is fine. It's printed on gloss which matches color best on playfields and backglasses.

#3 12 years ago

Ok so I don't need a coated and uncoated set. Just duplicates. Gloss/flat. Now which "volume" gives the best broad spectrum of color for playfields?

#4 12 years ago

Print outs will likely not represent well unless you have a calibrated color output system.

Your best bet would probably be the Pantone Starter Guide. Over 540 colors should contain most you'd run across on a machine. I think they have them over on Amazon as well.

http://www.pantone.com/pages/products/product.aspx?pid=1143&ca=1

#5 12 years ago

Pantone solid, coated is what you're after. A used book is fine -- the new ones are pretty pricey.

#6 12 years ago

Ok got my eye on a few on ebay. Thanks for the tips

#7 12 years ago

Even with one of these guides you'll still most likely have to do a custom mix to get it dead on--but it should get you close.

#8 12 years ago

If you think a Pantone color chart is going to help you mix and match colors......your wrong...it won't help at all.

I do this for a living as I'm a screen Printer.
    A pantone matching chart is really only for discribing colors that you don't have a swatch/copy of in front of you. We use the numbers to tell other people who are at different locations what colors we are talking about. Colors can not be sent by computer as everyone computer screen shows colors in a different way. So we use the Pantone numbers.

If you want it to help you mix colors then you will have to buy a matching chart from the manufacturer for the type of paint or ink you use. If they even make one.

#9 12 years ago

I find the Pantone guide mostly helpful when I buy paints.. it's easier to carry around than a playfield.

Couple of things you need to keep in mind though.. all paints dry differently and all paints react differently to being clearcoated (usually darker).

Also if you're mixing your own colours, a good understanding of colour theory also helps.

The Pantone guides exist to create colour continuity between printing houses, so those business cars you got printed in LA look the same as the ones you get printed in Detroit. There are other factors that will alter colour though, such as the brand of inks, different substrates, etc. It's all very complicated.. sometimes you've just gotta settle with "close enough"

#10 12 years ago

Here's some info on color matching that might be of assistance:

http://www.pinballpal.com/colors/

#11 12 years ago

Just be careful with old books. If they've sat around for a long time, light will affect the pages accordingly. Not a huge deal, but being in the print industry I've seen it happen many times. In fact, if you want a used book send me a PM.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-pantone-color-guide and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.