Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cp1610
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which one to choose?”

• Jurassic Park (DE) 16 votes
      33%
    • T2 19 votes
      40%
    • No Fear 11 votes
      23%
    • Breakshot 2 votes
      4%

(48 votes)

#1 1 year ago

I'm looking at purchasing a new to me machine. I'm a big fan of 90s era machines and narrowed my options to either a Data east JP, T2, No Fear, or Breakshot. I've played JP and T2 a few times, I liked both of them but had only a limited time on each one so I didn't get a chance to really explore each game. I haven't played No Fear or Breakshot yet but they both look like games I would enjoy. I know this is very subjective but I'm just looking for some opinions on overall value, last ability, and fun factor between the four different machines. Which one would be the best to own in a small collection? Thanks!

#2 1 year ago

Ask 4 peeps and you’ll get 4 answers. I say it’s a 2 way race between T-2 and No Fear .

#3 1 year ago

I would pick T2.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

I'm looking at purchasing a new to me machine. I'm a big fan of 90s era machines and narrowed my options to either a Data east JP, T2, No Fear, or Breakshot. I've played JP and T2 a few times, I liked both of them but had only a limited time on each one so I didn't get a chance to really explore each game. I haven't played No Fear or Breakshot yet but they both look like games I would enjoy. I know this is very subjective but I'm just looking for some opinions on overall value, last ability, and fun factor between the four different machines. Which one would be the best to own in a small collection? Thanks!

You called out the most important item when you wrote "I know this is very subjective". Intelligent people can disagree. With that said...

I own both JP and T2.

I've had T2 since 2005 or so. It's a keeper. Some people write that, but I've got the 15+ years of proof. I've found it's very reliable, has great flow, and is a game you can decide to play for 5 minutes or 50 minutes. What about depth? T2 is deeper than most think but no 90s game is as deep as a 2015+ game. Gun toy is great. Music is great. Has actual Arnold custom speech, none of that "fake actor" stuff you get now-a-days.

JP is another great game. I've had it since 2017 or so. No plans to let it go either (but no hard proof like T2). It's not clunky at all, but nothing as smooth as T2. One isn't necessarily better than the other. The Dino guy is a top toy of all time, but some have trouble getting it working reliably. I haven't had trouble. It's fast and furious, with more wild ball bounces. I like the music a lot (and am no fan of adding the John Williams music because I don't think it's a good match for the feel of the game). There's a custom rom you can get that makes the modes random, which some people like. It's a good option to have. Some people dislike the DE playfield artwork. While I definitely don't think it's amazing, it has it's charm.

I don't think you can go wrong either.

I don't have any opinions about No Fear or Breakshot, other than I've played them and never had a desire to own either.

#5 1 year ago

I'd go JP with T2 being my second choice.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from altan:

You called out the most important item when you wrote "I know this is very subjective". Intelligent people can disagree. With that said...
    I own both JP and T2.
    I've had T2 since 2005 or so. It's a keeper. Some people write that, but I've got the 15+ years of proof. I've found it's very reliable, has great flow, and is a game you can decide to play for 5 minutes or 50 minutes. What about depth? T2 is deeper than most think but no 90s game is as deep as a 2015+ game. Gun toy is great. Music is great. Has actual Arnold custom speech, none of that "fake actor" stuff you get now-a-days.
    JP is another great game. I've had it since 2017 or so. No plans to let it go either (but no hard proof like T2). It's not clunky at all, but nothing as smooth as T2. One isn't necessarily better than the other. The Dino guy is a top toy of all time, but some have trouble getting it working reliably. I haven't had trouble. It's fast and furious, with more wild ball bounces. I like the music a lot (and am no fan of adding the John Williams music because I don't think it's a good match for the feel of the game). There's a custom rom you can get that makes the modes random, which some people like. It's a good option to have. Some people dislike the DE playfield artwork. While I definitely don't think it's amazing, it has it's charm.
    I don't think you can go wrong either.
    I don't have any opinions about No Fear or Breakshot, other than I've played them and never had a desire to own either.

This is exactly the type of response I was hoping for. I was born in the 80s, grew up in the 90s so I'm automatically drawn to JP and T2 due to how much I loved watching each movie (and still do). I kinda want both but I just can't justify it at this point due to other financial obligations. To me T2 looks a bit better visually than JP, I don't hate the art on JP but it definitely could've been done better. More importantly, gameplay wise they both seem to be equally fun to me . Another important factor that I consider is build quality, I kinda live in a pinball deadzone so if something breaks I'm on my own so I'm looking for whichever one is easiest to upkeep/repair. Probably also another subjective topic.

#7 1 year ago

For me No Fear is the weakest theme but the best game. I also LOVE Breakshot but its not for a small collection as its easy to beat and will get old quick.

#8 1 year ago

Don't buy T2, I'm still kinda looking for one. If you buy it, it's one less for me.

#9 1 year ago

No Fear. Hope you can find one that isn’t faded to crap!

#10 1 year ago

T2 was more fun, for quick games for me, and looks sweeter.
    No Fear tweaked is a speed demon, and lasted longer.

#11 1 year ago

T2 would be my choice. Great theme and deep for its age. Breakshot has the best match play graphics of any game but thats really all its got going for it. I really wanted to like that game but couldnt get into it. And its kinda got a bad rep for reliability. No fear wasnt for me theme wise, and i have no opinion on jp.

#12 1 year ago

T2 with JP very close second.
    Eventually have both as they are worth it.
    -Mike

#13 1 year ago

Disclaimer: I’ve never played No Fear or Breakshot.

O man… Jurassic Park, followed closely by T2. Note that you could trade between most of these titles later on. Jurassic Park was one of my first machines to rotate through my basement. It has a lot going for it. The Dinosaur eats the ball! 6 Ball Multiball, shaker motor! Trigger! Smart Missile! I really enjoyed the dots on this game and the sound is great… especially if you hook it up to an external sub. Chad 6.0 code randomizing the modes really changes up the game. It is a mode based game and is kind of a clunky start/stop game. Note that the layout is a complete ripoff of Whirlwind with very few changes, yet much less flowy. If you have kids in the house or have visitors, they will gravitate to this machine over the others… mine did.
    Here is a walkthrough of the rules I made a few years ago on my old machines.

T2 is a great game. I looked really hard at a few at Pinfest a few weekends ago. The game is super flowy, but it is not a mode based game. Think of it as more of a late 80s A/N game that happens to have a DMD. The sound and voice acting is superb. If I were a league/tournament guy that wanted to work on my skills I’d go with this one.

Overall, the list you have is fantastic. If you rotate games semi-frequently, I’d grab the first good deal available of any of those listed. If I was bolting it to the floor, JP!

#14 1 year ago

T2 is the best out of those four games imo.

I love 90s games but prefer B/W ones and avoid buying/owning DE as I find them chunkier and not as robust.

#15 1 year ago

If you want a game that provides endless fun buy No Fear,
    If you want a game with a classic license buy T2, which is still a fun machine ,
    If you want a game that’s boring but has dinosaurs on it buy JP,
    Nice one

#16 1 year ago

As good looking as Breakshot is i vote Jurassic Park. What every reason you don't like jp you will have no problem selling/trading it. There are a lot of game play videos of all the games you thinking about. Yes playing is best. But some times that's not always possible so get as much exposure as possible.

Nothing worse to get a game only to discover it's not enough to entertain you. Or there is that one thing you just can't stand music or constant sound if does it seems to be 85% of the time.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-one-to-choose?hl=nevadanutjob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.