(Topic ID: 47353)

Which one to choose between Champion pub and NGG?

By Oneil

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by vcloverjr
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Hi everyone,
I had to make a choice.
According to your own experience which one has the best lastability in terms of rules set and fun?

Best regards

#2 11 years ago

I can't even stand to play Champion Pub long enough to know if it has lastability. The playfield design and basic gameplay are so bad that I'll never know. NGG is the better game by a ridiculously huge margin. It's not even close.

#3 11 years ago

Never played NGG much to my shame. I love CP as a great change of pace game. Wouldn't mind owning one at all.

#4 11 years ago

both are equally crappy. CP has better music, fun novelties but gets old fast. NGG is crappy rules, somewhat fun novelty skip shot but overall flat all around. I'd say pass on both unless dirt cheap.

#5 11 years ago

I think NGG would have way more longevity despite rule / code issues. CP is cool, but I'd think the novelties would get old quick in home use, unless you have a big collection, and it looks like you have 2 pins, so I'd have to give the nod to NGG.

#6 11 years ago

i'd take a Tee'd off over NGG anyday when it comes to golf themed DMD pins.

#7 11 years ago

NGG is amazing. Great shots, combos, flow, speed - FUN Golf rules, AMAZING music, great characters, the Slam Ramp rules.

I like CP, too...great toys - but it's a bit more "novelty", if that makes sense. It's fun for funs sake, but lacks a little something.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i'd take a Tee'd Off over NGG anyday when it comes to golf themed DMD pins.

I'd disagree, Tee'd Off sucks so bad, I left before ball 3.

#9 11 years ago

None wait and get scared stiff

#10 11 years ago

NGG is much better than CP in my opinion. Much, much better.

It isn't even close.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

I'd disagree, Tee'd Off sucks so bad, I left before ball 3.

Hard to finish a full game on a 90s Gottlieb.

#12 11 years ago

Champ Pub is easier and thus for me, more fun! Gophers is fun, but I am still working on understanding the rules. I have played both recently. For immediate fun, Champ Pub gets my vote. I bet NGG wins for last-ability though.

#13 11 years ago

Owned both. Sold both. CP by a hair if I were to add back to the collection. Jumping rope with that ball got annoying as did the video mode boxing. No flow. So many better games to choose from out there!

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Champ Pub is easier and thus for me, more fun! Gophers is fun, but I am still working on understanding the rules. I have played both recently. For immediate fun, Champ Pub gets my vote. I bet NGG wins for last-ability though.

Rules are pretty simple
- Shoot the lit "DRIVE" shots, then shoot the "put" hole in the back to collect the award on the spinner that's lined up with the arrow insert. Advance to the next hole.
-Shoot the ramp for TNT to blow the Gopher up out of his hole...knock him down, then lock the ball behind him to set up for Multiball.
-Hit the left "upper flipper" ramp to light the Slam Ramp, hit the Slam Ramp to get the Hole-in-One shot for an instant advance
-Inlanes light the orbits for 2x, 3x bonus etc (the inserts above the flippers)
-Captive ball gives you various awards & eventually gets you to Rip-Off Multiball

There's other stuff but those are the basics!

#15 11 years ago

I'd vote NGG between those 2. Had one, sold it, bought it back.

It's a great, "shallow/easy fun" pin to just walk up to and play. I love the sarcastic gofer humor too. However, I could see it getting old with someone with a more sophisticated sense of humor than me (almost anyone ).

#16 11 years ago

I REALLY enjoy CP......not so much on NGG.

Everyone is different.

#17 11 years ago

CP is heaps of fun but it does get old faster than NGG. There's also less of that typical pinball flow so its not as thrilling. The only way I can explain it is that CP feels more like a video game. I'm less of a fan of NGG's theme, the music and call outs grate quickly, but the gameplay is fun. It's like an ADHD Whirlwind.

#18 11 years ago

I actually own STTNG and INDY WMS.

For the CP and NGG they're at the same price and approximately the same shape.
Why those pins? Because they're the only I can afford and available in my area.

With all the comments I'm little bit disappointed....

#19 11 years ago

i have had both - cp for me was more of a keeper and i still have it - if you plan on playing it a lot it will get old - it's great for a collection of at least 6 games. the good is you have two very good challenging games right now.

usually ngg is easier to sell - but lately cp has been going up in value - it should as there aren't many made - everytime i think it's time to sell cp i go an play it - then say i can't get rid of it

good luck - either way you can't go wrong - thanks ed

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Oneil:

Disappointed why?

You got lots of perspective from both sides. Seems pretty clear consensus. CP fun but not for long. NGG fun and for longer.

#21 11 years ago

I thought Champion Pub was pretty fun despite all the hate it gets, and I thought Gophers was a little disappointing. I don't have much time on either though so take that with a tablespoon of salt. I think this would be a matter of which theme you liked better.

#22 11 years ago

NGG is the better game of the two. But there are so many better game for the money.

#23 11 years ago

I really like cp it reminds me of the arcade game punch out. Its a keeper for me right up there with tz and taf.

#24 11 years ago

there is a reason CP and NGG were stuck at a 1800-2000 price range for 7 years. Only recently when everything went up, did they even move from that price point.

#25 11 years ago

Get the NGG, it's an excellent Lawlor game.

I enjoy CP and wouldn't mind having one, but it's more of a novelty pin as others have stated--so in a 2 game collection, definitely go with NGG.

#26 11 years ago

I have owned both as well, NGG is a much bigger crowd pleaser, fantastic Lawlor design, even tho it has it's ruleset short commings, it is still dammed hard to get through 18 holes with all the little side games they play. I liked CP but just no staying power, felt linear and shallow, but it is a great party game and people will love playing it

#27 11 years ago

NGG for sure. I really like CP, but only in small doses.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from Oneil:

I actually own STTNG and INDY WMS.
For the CP and NGG they're at the same price and approximately the same shape.
Why those pins? Because they're the only I can afford and available in my area.

Not sure why you would be disappointed?

Both are really nice games......you just seemed to hit a couple that are a little more Love/Hate than average.

Check out the game play on both and grab one. You won't get hurt even if you pick wrong.

#29 11 years ago

I think CP and NGG are good games that get dogged a lot. IMO NGG is the better game. There is a reason it isn't leaving the collection anytime soon. Not every game has to be huge deep rulesets. In fact I prefer NGG to the TSPP that I just sold. Now I know for some that is just crazy talk.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from Oneil:

Hi everyone,
I had to make a choice.
According to your own experience which one has the best lastability in terms of rules set and fun?
Best regards

Have you played either?

#31 11 years ago

NGG but i wouldn't buy one at full market price.

#32 11 years ago

I may be biased but I say NGG. One of my favs, and fun for all.

#33 11 years ago

I previously owned a near mint CP. Initially I though the music was great, the boxers were unique, the mini games were fun... then after about 20 plays I was bored out of my mind... Slow game, not much of a challenge. Yes, it has a high price because there were limited numbers, but I don't thing it has the bang for the buck.

Let's flash forward to the present. After wanting an NGG for the past 2 years, I finally bought one. Fun fun fun. The music can get a little annoying at times, but I can't fault it otherwise. Everyone enjoys it. Faster than I expected it to be. Shots can be a challenge, especially the hole in one.

Final answer: NGG

#34 11 years ago

I owned CP. really didnt last long. It's a fun novelty but got old really fast. Ngg, on the other hand is fantastic. Great flow. Great third flipper shot, fast, fun to shoot the gofers. I think the rules are decent Lawloresc rules. To me, this is one of Lawlor's best and definitely his best flowing game.

#35 11 years ago

I am a huge fan of champ pub, not a golf fan, but comes down to like said earlier if you only have one pin NGG is more complete, if it is the 3rd pin in your collection, champion Pub is my choice and a champion.. Ps both overpriced IMHO, pick up 2 just as good titles for the money.

#36 11 years ago

I totally agree. Cp is a great 4th or 5th game for your collection. My wife rarely plays the pins but when we have friends over that seems to be the one they gravitate to. And the low numbers of production make it special in my collection.

#37 11 years ago

NGG hands down.

#38 11 years ago

+1 for NGG

#39 11 years ago

Owned both CP is still around, NGG is not. I still enjoy them both but CP wins in my book, NGG got old, CP can get old but still love it. As others mentioned it works in a big collection but would not hold in a 2-3 pin collection.

#40 11 years ago

I love NGG and recently bought one. It's an easy to understand game that is fun. Looking at your collection, you've got a pair of deep games. Sometimes it's nice to have one that you can just step up to and get a quick couple of games in. It also seems to be more popular among friends who aren't that into pinball.

#41 11 years ago

Two games that are miles apart IMO, NGG is one of the best, CP just isn't.

#42 11 years ago

Two totally different game flows. CP has more stop and go, more innovative toys. NGG has faster flow, more entertaining in my opinion. I own NGG and I have played CP. I enjoy both but NGG was my first pin and is still in the collection. I liked CP but not enough no fork over the $3K+ it's demanding.

#43 11 years ago

If you're having trouble deciding, maybe think about the theme. Do you like golfing (even video golf) with humor and/or Caddyshack? Or, do you like "The Cinderella Man" (movie) and training/boxing themes?

For me, I much prefer the funny golf theme than the more serious boxing theme - both in pinball AND in life!!

#44 11 years ago

I have (had) both... CP is long gone. NGG's is still here.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i'd take a Tee'd Off over NGG anyday when it comes to golf themed DMD pins.

pure madness

#46 11 years ago

least Tee'd off feels like your playing golf somewhat. NGG doesn't feel anything like golf, just a shit mess of rules and not once making you feel like your playing a hole of golf. Tee'd off captures the feel and rules better.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

least Tee'd Off feels like your playing golf somewhat. NGG doesn't feel anything like golf, just a shit mess of rules and not once making you feel like your playing a hole of golf. Tee'd Off captures the feel and rules better.

When I want to feel like I'm playing golf, I play golf.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

When I want to feel like I'm playing golf, I play golf.

Then after three or four horrible shots in a row on the first hole, I want to feel like I'm playing pinball.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

least Tee'd Off feels like your playing golf somewhat. NGG doesn't feel anything like golf, just a shit mess of rules and not once making you feel like your playing a hole of golf. Tee'd Off captures the feel and rules better.

Meh.... I never thought i was playing golf with NGG.

To me it was always a thinly-veiled takeoff on Caddyshack (on of my fav films).

It a light, fun game. Also, I do think they have a creative bonus and a great HO1 shot...

#50 11 years ago

Easy answer. Champion Pub

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

5,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,800 (OBO)
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lenexa, KS
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-one-to-choose-between-champion-pub-and-ngg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.