(Topic ID: 128454)

Which of these 3 broken pins should i get?

By Star_Gazer

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Paragon_05.jpg
Paragon_06.jpg
Paragon_02.jpg
Paragon_03.jpg
Paragon_01.jpg
Paragon_04.jpg
close uo.jpg
3 choose_01.jpg

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

They are all more of less wasted, no backbox, not working etc...and there's place for just ONE in my car...
Centaur / Paragon / Firepower II ?

3 choose_01.jpg3 choose_01.jpg
#2 8 years ago

In this order: Centaur, Paragon, Firepower 2

#3 8 years ago

Centaur

#5 8 years ago

Yeah, Centaur.

ooh boy is it beat up though, yikes

#6 8 years ago

Centaur has great artwork, but got really old fast for me. What are the prices? Can you only get one? Centaur can be a pricey pin to buy unlike Paragon and Firepower 2. You could probably get both of the other two for the price of Centaur. From the pictures it looks like the paragon is in pretty nice shape. Centaur looks like it has parts missing too. Paragon looks like the best option to me.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

ooh boy is it beat up though

Yeah and there's white junk all over it, wonder what it could be...

#8 8 years ago

close up...

close uo.jpgclose uo.jpg
#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Centaur looks like it has parts missing to

Only the left bat right?

#10 8 years ago

Barf. Pass on all. Too blown out.

#11 8 years ago

Restored a far worse centaur. Go for it there's nothing like doing the work yourself and having something to be proud of that also plays well and it's a great game.

#12 8 years ago

Paragon does not look too bad

#13 8 years ago

Lots of options for all three....
Borrow a truck or van.
Borrow a trailer.
Put 2 on the roof.
Leave the trunk open and bring lots of duct tape.
Never settle.

#14 8 years ago

CENTAUR IS A WAY BETTER GAME, WAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY! GET IT IF IT'S COMPLETE ON THE ELECTRONICS END

#15 8 years ago

All missing headers??

Pass

#16 8 years ago

Yeah. Centaur.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

All missing headers??
Pass

OOPS i MISSED THAT THE HEADS ARE MISSING. YEAH PASS DUDE. oops caps sorry. unless you need them for parts, run! this one was missing stuff too and it was a huge project but the head was there.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-turned-this-into-this

#18 8 years ago

Pull all 3 playfields for wallhangers. They should all fit in your car at one time.

#19 8 years ago

I'd go Paragon.

#20 8 years ago

Paragon.

what did u pay for these?

#21 8 years ago

Centaur

#22 8 years ago

Sometimes loose backboxes surface at shows. You might get lucky. Who knows.

#23 8 years ago

Centaur!!! And get your ass to Bay Area Amusements and get the back glass! Building a new back cabinet is pretty easy if you are at all good with wood...if not a cabinet shop.

#24 8 years ago

Get the Paragon, that Centaur is roached.

#25 8 years ago

Rent a Uhaul ! Get all 3!!!

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

what did u pay for these?

Haven't bought them yet, they go for 100,- each, so not much (if it's nothing i can always sell the parts), but it's a long 2 hour drive...Paragon looks best, but i like the Black and white graphics very much of the Centaur. Maybe niuce to learn my painting skjills on.

#27 8 years ago

But would YOU buy the Centaur for 100,- US dollars?????????

#28 8 years ago

i would. you can get bally heads pretty easy. stencil kit, new boards, displays, backbox wiring (Jim Shird makes this) a lot of this you can put into a working game even if it's complete.

lets say,hypothetically, that you can buy a complete centaur..for 1500. and 2 of the displays are bad, the glass is flaked and scratched, MPU is corroded, say it again board doesn't work.

the hardest thing to get will be the sound board? say it again is available, you know you wanted to do LED displays and a new glass anyway, might as well throw in an alltek MPU and Driver.

so you would be way ahead of the game.

-c

#29 8 years ago

I would buy that Centaur for $100 US in 1/2 second if given a chance.

#30 8 years ago

Paragon. Best shape, probably the easiest to restore. My favorite player of the three.

Centaur is the value choice if resell price is eventually your main concern.

#31 8 years ago

Assuming that isn't mold all over the Centaur, I would find a way to take both Paragon and Centaur home. "Necessity" is the mother of invention.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

In this order: Centaur, Paragon, Firepower 2

I concur

#33 8 years ago

Centaur. I would buy it for $100 without the head and that playfield.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Evets:

Assuming that isn't mold all over the Centaur

So if it IS mold..it's almost beyond repair, right?

#35 8 years ago

Assuming the rest (lights, power, fuses etc) does works on such a playfield only...what will happen when i power it up?

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

So if it IS mold..it's almost beyond repair, right?

Mold can be cleaned--most of the time. Just wear a mask. After cleaning and if it's on bare wood, sand the surface a little bit to get rid of the discoloration.

Water damage isn't really that repairable unless you want to rebuild the cabinet.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

Haven't bought them yet, they go for 100,- each, so not much (if it's nothing i can always sell the parts), but it's a long 2 hour drive...Paragon looks best, but i like the Black and white graphics very much of the Centaur. Maybe niuce to learn my painting skjills on.

trust me when i tell you, DO NOT TRY TO GAIN CONFIDENCE AND SKILL RETOUCHING A CENTAUR PF.

For that I would use that firepower

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

Assuming the rest (lights, power, fuses etc) does works on such a playfield only...what will happen when i power it up?

if you have no head? nothing.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

DO NOT TRY TO GAIN CONFIDENCE

It looks just black and white to me

#40 8 years ago

Buy all three for that price..

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

trust me when i tell you, DO NOT TRY TO GAIN CONFIDENCE AND SKILL RETOUCHING A CENTAUR PF.

Hahaha, agreed. I probably spent 40 hrs or more painting the one I had, and it was in good shape to start.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

But it's very intricate with lots of fine lines everywhere. It might be better to do decals because of that.

#43 8 years ago

Either way, you've got a lot of work.

Easiest method to a working centaur from that game in the pic that is actually feasible:

Buy the Centaur, find a Mr & Mrs Pac-man project, use the boards, cab & displays from the Mr & Mrs Pac. Paint and stencil the Pac cab with Centaur stencils.

Make a poster translite of Centaur II's translite (since mr & mrs pac uses a florescent bulb). Cen II BG would be hard to find.

Get a CPR Centaur PF.

Get a repro SIA board for delay.

Clean all the parts, use that centaur PF as a donor for assemblies and whatnot only.

Sell that Centaur PF to someone for wall art or something.

It would be a little cheesy, but you could technically get a working Centaur II look-alike out of it for less than $1000 and a ton of work, if you can score a Mr. & Mrs Pac for less then $500, which you generally can. This was my thought process when I saw this game, having restored a Centaur II & shopped a Mr & Mrs Pac-Man.

If it turns out the PF on the Centaur isn't toast, you could try to touch-up and clear it, but it is still yellowed.

With the Mr & Mrs. Pac idea, you could part out the pac PF too and recoup a little. If you made your own head and bought boards individually, you'd be in deeper than a Mr & Mrs Pac for sure. Depends on how much time and $$$ and your level of commitment.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

oh yeah I forgot. black & white. do us a favor and start recording it after you have about 8 hours in. if you could use two cameras that would be preferred. one on your hand with the brush and the other on your face

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Either way, you've got a lot of work.
Easiest method to a working centaur from that game in the pic that is actually feasible:
Buy the Centaur, find a Mr & Mrs Pac-man project, use the board, cab & displays from the Mr & Mrs Pac. Paint and stencil the Pac cab with Centaur stencils.
Make a poster translite of Centaur II's translite (since mr & mrs pac uses a florescent bulb).
Get a CPR Centaur PF.
Get a repro SIA board for delay.
Clean all the parts, use that centaur PF as a donor for assemblies and whatnot only.
It would be a little cheesy, but you could technically get a working Centaur II look-alike out of it for less than $1000 and a ton of work, if you can score a Mr. & Mrs Pac for less then $500, which you generally can. This was my thought process when I saw this game, having restored a Centaur II & shopped a Mr & Mrs Pac-Man.

1000 bucks. if you know where I can find a cpr centaur pf for 400 hit me up man. I'm all over it!

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

1000 bucks. if you know where I can find a cpr centaur pf for 400 hit me up man. I'm all over it!

Okay, that was a poor rough estimate. Wasn't really thinking. Yeah, the best you'll probably do on a CPR Centaur right now would be like $800+, depending on grade. My main point in that post was use a Mr & Mrs Pac as the core for a Centaur, there are tons of them.

#48 8 years ago

Yeah rent a van or something at 100 a piece you wont loose money plus i love centaur

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Star Gazer, check this thread

That's some impressive work you did there!

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

That's some impressive work you did there!

Ehh, it was decent for my 3rd job. I'm getting better as I do more. Thanks though.

I don't make a whole lotta $$$, so I'm a poor man restore guy. I do the best with what I can afford, and try to re-use as much as possible. If I had it my way, I have all the right tools and the space, and I'd probably go all out and plate everything and replace most parts instead of spending countless hours cleaning. I need to hit the lottery. I'd do this and music full-time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
£ 185.00
Displays
Retro Electro Designs
Displays
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 199.95
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 10.00
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
3,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 10.00
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 45.00
$ 10.00
6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-of-these-3-broken-pins-should-i-get and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.