(Topic ID: 23948)

Which of my games is best suited for a noob tournament?

By gweempose

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by gweempose
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What is the best pin for a noob tournament?”

• TZ 3 votes
      5%
    • STTNG 4 votes
      7%
    • LOTR 11 votes
      18%
    • I500 3 votes
      5%
    • Tommy 2 votes
      3%
    • TOTAN 19 votes
      32%
    • TS 1 vote
      2%
    • RFM 16 votes
      27%
    • Airborne 1 vote
      2%

(60 votes)

#1 11 years ago

My wife and I are hosting a party at our home this evening with about 50 people. I was thinking about having a simple tournament where each person who wanted to participate would play a single game on one of my pins. The winner would receive a gift card. Which of my games do you think would be most conducive to this type of tournament? Bear in mind, none of these people are pinheads. Here's the list:

TZ
    STTNG
    LOTR
    I500
    Tommy
    TOTAN
    The Shadow
    SWE1
    RFM
    Airborne

My first thought is TOTAN, but I'm curious to hear what others have to say.

#2 11 years ago

I'd pick RFM, the goals are pretty straight forward, and noobs usually gravitate towards it. I also found it pretty easy when I owned it.

#3 11 years ago

totan since you dont have tom

#4 11 years ago

LOTR- long ball times will make them feel like they are good at it.

#5 11 years ago

I just added a poll. It would only allow me 9 options, so I dropped SWE1. Keep 'em coming, guys.

#6 11 years ago
    #7 11 years ago

STTNG cuz of shorter ball times. 50 folks waiting for a marathon game on LOTR or TZ to finish isn't very fun. Besides, STTNG is a non-players game but the drains take the ball times away. IE: high scores, quick modes, short ball times.

#8 11 years ago

I think a lot will depend on the settings of the games, I recently had a small noob non-pinhead tournament with my friends and I wanted to make sure everyone had fun, so I closed the outlanes down and turned the software settings to easy, ie Mist lit after 1 loop on BSD and a 15 sec ball save (lol), and multiball start at the scoop or either ramp on WCS 94. Since these people never play pinball it was still challenging but they had a great time.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

STTNG cuz of shorter ball times. 50 folks waiting for a marathon game on LOTR or TZ to finish isn't very fun.

I completely understand what you're saying, but I don't agree with you about TZ. I don't think your average non-pinhead will have very long games on TZ. I think it's probably a bad choice for other reasons, though. It's just a really confusing game to step up to if you've never played it before.

#10 11 years ago

RFM is a horse and pony show, albeit a fun game, but SDTM is a big problem for noobs. I had many people walk up to mine loving the game features, playing it, then saying they didn't like it, too hard, weren't sure what to do, etc., then game got ignored.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I completely understand what you're saying, but I don't agree with you about TZ. I don't think your average non-pinhead will have very long games on TZ. I think it's probably a bad choice for other reasons, though. It's just a really confusing game to step up to if you've never played it before.

Your right, TZ rules are funky. Very intimidating. I did have a few noobs doing great on the game, too great! Others just watched for 10 minutes and got bored. Slower ball movement due to stop and go on TZ.

#12 11 years ago

Btw Gweempose, did you get all your SC tokens I sent?

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Btw Gweempose, did you get all your SC tokens I sent?

I never actually got around to counting them, but I did receive the package. Thanks!

#15 11 years ago

Tommy is a great choice because it's easy to understand but difficult to do. I've used TOTAN as a tournament game, and it's a little complicated for people to grasp that arn't pinball people. Same with TZ. Games that non pinball people loved, when I was running tourny's were Starship troopers, and MM/ AFM. Since the rules are written for a 5 year old. Everyone can easily see what you have to do with little explaination and away you go.

#17 11 years ago

LOTR if the settings are stock, otherwise TOTAN. LOTR was always a big hit at my house with non-pinheads until I loaded one of those harder setting packs on it and disabled the random balrog popout mode. Suddenly no one liked it but me

Post edited by Erik : oops not rfm

#18 11 years ago

The pin that will work all night.

You could use two pins and run them together on a third pin when you get it narrowed do to a few people

#19 11 years ago

I think LOTR is too complicated for non pinheads and doesn't have that WOW factor to it, until you really dig into it. TOTAN has that wow factor, but there is so much going on, and the way it tells you what shots to go for, are a little hard for everyone to grasp. RFM is straight forward. Funny, entertaining and easy to grasp.

#20 11 years ago

I voted for STTNG.....50 people outtabe done in 2 hrs with that title.....if you went LOTR's you would need 2 weeks due to it's high ball times

#21 11 years ago

Update:

I decided to go with TOTAN. It worked out well, and I think people had a lot of fun. The winner had a score of 6.9 billion. The lowest score of the night was around 250,000. Most importantly, the tournament got people into the pin room, so all my games saw a good amount of action last night. Many of the people were saying that they forgot how much fun pinball can be.

#22 11 years ago

7 billion on totan? WTF! You have Caylee at your party? Thought it was a tournament for newbs. My highest score was 187 million, and that was a hard accomplishment. SHIT!

#23 11 years ago

I'm sure you mean 6.9 million. lol

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

I'm sure you mean 6.9 million. lol

Indeed ... lol. My personal high is only around 90 million.

#25 11 years ago

I think for noobs RFM is the most straight forward rules and a lot of fun.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I think for noobs RFM is the most straight forward rules and a lot of fun.

I almost went with RFM, but decided to go with TOTAN at the last minute. I think either would have been a great choice. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have had each person play a game on three different machines. Instead of giving out prizes for first, second and third, I could have just given out prizes to the person with the highest score on each game.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-of-my-games-is-best-suited-for-a-noob-tournament and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.