• Gold 59 votes
    40%
  • I'll be getting both 12 votes
    8%
  • Neither, I don't like them 12 votes
    8%

(146 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2532.jpg
DragonsLair-01.png
361.jpg
359.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I love the two new Smaug heads just unveiled. Which do you like best?

#2 5 years ago

Got a message from JJP that you can upgrade your order with the other head as well for an additional $200 and then you can switch them every week if you want to. This applies to both LE and SE buyers.

#3 5 years ago

The two heads:

359.jpg 361.jpg
#4 5 years ago

pics? Thanks.

#5 5 years ago

I think they look about equal. They are definitely more menacing looking than before.

#6 5 years ago

Red looks better. The gold one looks like an iron man version of smaug

Rob

#7 5 years ago

wow nice improvement I need to change my vote

#8 5 years ago

I had thought red, but now I am not sure. A tough call. I'd really like to see pics of each of them in the game.

#9 5 years ago

It's going to be really hard to decide without seeing them in the game. I think they both need some more black shading between the scales to bring the details out more. Side by side, that red one really pops. The red may stand out better against all the gold pile moldings, and the lit eyes might stand out more on the red.

I'm undecided at the moment, but leaning towards the red one. Good thing this topic will be endlessly debated for the next week.

#10 5 years ago

hated the all gold before, but the "new" gold has me on the fence.
looking better everyday JJP

#11 5 years ago

In the book he's sometimes known as Smaug the Golden. Also years asleep on the gold has left it embedded in his scales...

Gold Smaug all the way.

#12 5 years ago

From the Book he is described this way:

There he lay, a vast red-golden dragon, fast asleep; thrumming came from his jaws and nostrils, and wisps of smoke, but his fires were low in slumber.

So, the 'red' is more like the movie, and the 'gold' is more like the book.

#13 5 years ago

I like the idea of the Gold but to be honest when comparing it next to the Red it just looks like a Red with red fading off of it. Maybe different in person

#14 5 years ago

I'll wait to see a picture of it in the game before I vote, but leaning towards the gold one.

#15 5 years ago

I would like the gold better if there was treasure diversity in the 'gold' pile, as it is now it has just wall to wall gold coins...

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I would like the gold better if there was treasure diversity in the 'gold' pile, as it is now it has just wall to wall gold coins...

This seems like it is begging for a simple aftermarket mod. A few plastic jewels, cups and dwarf bowling trophies could be epoxied on.

#17 5 years ago

I played LOTR tonight. Balrog is sweet, and Smaug will be just as awesome. Imagine his eyes lighting up, having teeth, and taunting you. It would be cool if his head glowed red like Balrog does during multiball.

#18 5 years ago

Smuag will have lights front and back for extra illumination/coloring. Should look nice. Though I wish that only the head would swivel and not him and half the treasure pile. Also, a bit of clean up in the barrel, LCD, and Bag End is needed.

Overall, if JJP keeps plugging away at the finer details it should be solid for all the code mods upcoming that will complete the pin.

#19 5 years ago

I'm in on TH. I'm on the fence red vs gold. I do feel they both need a slight black glazing wash (if that is the right term). I think that will highlight the colors and bring more depth into the texture of the skin.

I'm sure the modders are drooling right now.

#20 5 years ago

With so many variations of this game available, what's the point of evening calling any of them LE, SE, etc.? Wasn't the whole deal with ordering a gold that you got the gold head exclusively and once gold orders were placed, that's it, no more? They should not sell Gold heads for an additional $200. While I get the mod community will make it, what's the point of any of these so called "limited" games if everything can just be tacked on later?

#21 5 years ago

Red gives it that frightening look!

#22 5 years ago

I like gold a bit better, as it has a aged look. Both are pretty good, though, so it's only the gold by a hair.

#23 5 years ago

Both look good. I think the stare in his eyes says it all. This gold is way better than previous gold. But I think solid red makes the yellow in his eyes pop.

#24 5 years ago

This doesn't really make sense though...Smaug is either Red or covered in gold in the films. He's never Red with gold highlights. I love that JJP is listening to feedback and making the pin better, but this half gold Smaug head just seems off considering it did not happen like this in the movies, at all. I think the all gold head would have worked if they would have removed the coins and even had the gold edition have exclusive sound bites that only Gold Smaug says. You see, make it mean something rather than just a different color toy.

#25 5 years ago

Gold

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

This doesn't really make sense though...Smaug is either Red or covered in gold in the films. He's never Red with gold highlights. I love that JJP is listening to feedback and making the pin better, but this half gold Smaug head just seems off considering it did not happen like this in the movies, at all. I think the all gold head would have worked if they would have removed the coins and even had the gold edition have exclusive sound bites that only Gold Smaug says. You see, make it mean something rather than just a different color toy.

Did you miss this post:
In the book he's sometimes known as Smaug the Golden. Also years asleep on the gold has left it embedded in his scales...

It may not be in the movie but im happy with it being part of the book, also that gold just looks awesome.

#27 5 years ago

Pretty even split with a small edge to the red.

#28 5 years ago

Now that we have until Dec 31 to decide, I can't wait to see the production models to make my decision.

Thought wife would help decide but she likes both the same.

#29 5 years ago

I'll be replacing mine with this

DragonsLair-01.png
#30 5 years ago

That would be awesome. It would fit perfectly between my LOTR and mint condition Dragon's Lair.

IMG_2532.jpg
#31 5 years ago

The golden one looks like I imagined him after reading the book. But more important he just looks good and I think it will work in the game. No need for the extra red one anymore for me.

#32 5 years ago

My vote is for the head you do not pay a extra $200

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

My vote is for the head you do not pay a extra $200

Pick either one and there is no extra charge. It is $200 if you want both.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

The golden one looks like I imagined him after reading the book. But more important he just looks good and I think it will work in the game. No need for the extra red one anymore for me.

Yeah I agree, no need for the extra one now. Its a good thing cause I didnt want to pay $200

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Pick either one and there is no extra charge. It is $200 if you want both.

then my vote is all red

#36 5 years ago

The new Gold Smaug looks so much better
But I will wait with my decision how it looks like mounted in the machine...

#37 5 years ago

I like this gold version MUCH more. It doesn't match the gold-covered look in the movie, but that kinda looked wonky to me. This one has much more depth to it and kinda looks like the gold is glistening on him from the treasure room.

#38 5 years ago

If they use yellow and red lighting to emphasize the color of Smaug normal and covered in liquid gold, the gold Smaug may show both colors better.

#39 5 years ago

Im all in with theThse im sticking with the Gold head. IMHO if your paying for the se you should stay with what JJp is putting in the machine. It makes it more original and with all ther mods that will be coming out I am sure someone will come up with something better later just to make you want to change it again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside