(Topic ID: 286686)

Which new machines have the deepest ruleset?

By Occelot

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“For logevity (keeps you entertained the longest), which game?”

• The Hobbit 7 votes
      58%
    • Wonka SE 1 vote
      8%
    • GnR SE 0 votes
    • Turtles Pro 4 votes
      33%

(12 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C389B65E-EC49-46E5-B5FC-5A34C4A098DB (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a newish machine. I'm looking for one with a deep ruleset, and a nearly impossible to reach wizard mode (think LOTR). Any ideas? A couple I was tossing around was Stern's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (I've heard it's gotta deep ruleset), maybe a JJP like Hobbit?

Thanks!

#2 3 years ago

Simpson's is pretty deep, I feel like I'm a solid player but I don't think I'll ever reach wizard mode.

#3 3 years ago

I've owned TSPP in the past. I guess I should clarify I'm looking for something within the past 6 years

#4 3 years ago

I'm partial to Turtles as its in my basement at the moment, but it is because of having very finished code, deep rules and lots of modes. Not the easiest game though, it can be brutal. Another good option with deep code and one that's less brutal is Deadpool.

#5 3 years ago

Thanks. I have 2 kids, so that's another reason I was leaning towards Turtles.

#6 3 years ago

Was thinking if I had to pick two (yes.. loan here we come) and trying to stay under $10k, maybe a Turtles and a TOMMY.

#7 3 years ago

tommy ? a deep code ? heu no, not really
    even more considering that tommy is more than similar to LAH to GNR to TFTC to WWRR...

#8 3 years ago

I just love the theme of TOMMY.

#9 3 years ago

Hobbit is indeed a good candidate in your case, in my opinion. It has easily accessible fun and action for kids and casuals, but behind that there's lots of depth and score optimization strategies for us geeks.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Occelot:I just love the theme of TOMMY.

Tommy is a great theme once you get past the music not done by The Who. But they never said it was. Neither is it very deep.

#11 3 years ago

Hobbit
    Star Wars
    Elvira
    JJP Pirates

a little older
    Walking Dead
    XMen
    AC/DC

#12 3 years ago

WOZ has a deep ruleset

#13 3 years ago

They have the pinsound mod, which plays samples by the who instead of the broadway musical.

#14 3 years ago

Houdini is VERY deep! There’s heaps of side missions with jail escape, several multi balls, 8 or so stage modes and 5 or 6 movie modes. All modes are very unique and fun getting you to shoot all over the playfield! I miss mine and only got frustrated because I couldn’t dial in the catapult so it left the house because I was super frustrated. A couple of the shots are tight but can be opened up to make them more shootable. And it’s very in tune with the theme.

Tmnt is a fantastic game too. I love mine it’s not too hard a shooter BUT it’s FAST! Very fast and I think that’s why people aren’t fans of it. The ball is back to a flipper in the blink of an eye! Modes are fun and team up multiball a great thing to aim for that’s in the “middle” of the game. Dwight has done a fantastic job on it and it’s another Borg cracker! I must admit I do love Borg games they’re just super satisfying to me!

Star Wars is fun especially in a prem/Le it’s another super fast game but when you’ve got balls whizzing around on the super charger 2.0 it’s super satisfying! The modes feel VERY sameish on Star Wars and that’s really my gripe with the game. Would probably have one back but not at these prices.

Hobbit is DEEEEEEEEP but zzzzzzzz. The playfield is wide open and the pop up beasts whilst cool for the first 20 plays get frustrating and in the way. Games feel like a marathon. The theme is integrated amazingly though and the call outs are fantastic. Into the fire mini wizard is AWESOME! Barrel chase and 5 army battle? are a bit of a let down after how good into the fire is! Into the fire gets your blood pumping, barrel chase is a bit meh and I think I just got a bit disinterested in getting to 5 army battle because it’s such a journey to get there! I think the kids might like it with the pop up beasts but the long games got old for me quick.

#15 3 years ago

Thanks for the input guys. I'm looking for a couple pins that are difficult to beat. The reason being, I now have to have pins in my basement, so moving them is a pain in the butt. So I'm trying to prevent pin A.D.D when you get a pin, and then trade it 2 months later I know "BEATING" a pin isn't necessarily a thing, but for pins you own, you do'nt necessarily get the satisfaction of simply beating the high score Does that make sense?

Sounds like Hobbit and turtles may be a good fit.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Occelot:

Does that make sense?

It doesn’t make any sense to me but good luck finding what you want. The shorter the ball times the better for me. My goal is typically to be a good player, and feel ok with the game I put up... not to “beat the game”. You could just keep setting the game up easier and easier and likely just beat it... so no way I would want beating the game to be my goal.

It seems the dividing line for the best selling and most desirable machine is: buy a game you can never beat or, buy a game that is designed so well that you can’t stop playing it. It’s hard to come up with a game design that is both approachable and intimidating at the same time.

#17 3 years ago

Wonka... I havent come close to Wonka's office

#18 3 years ago

Jurassic park has a deep ruleset, 3+ wizard modes (does invalid frenzy count?), unique map progression feature, 3+ main mutiballs, several t-rex modes, and awesome flow. Getting to escape nublar is definitely hard. And! if you complete everything there is...When dinosaurs ruled the earth! JP will definitely keep you occupied.

#19 3 years ago

WOZ definitely falls in that category, on top of being beautiful, and packed, and superbly executed. The only downside is unlike TSPP that I owned for a while, WOZ is a hard game with a lot of multiballs mode that requires precise shots, something I'm definitely not good at and some unforgiving outlanes.

But I sure have plenty of fun trying to reach the whole depth of the game !

#20 3 years ago

In regard to WOZ, hobbit and others... just gotta find one for sale

#21 3 years ago

Stern Jp, anybody completed wdrtw?.

#22 3 years ago

Avengers infinity quest has a fairly deep rule set.

#23 3 years ago

I think Wonka is incredible and deep, and although the rules are a bit perplexing at first, it starts to make sense when you play a few times. (Or you watch a really good gameplay video) And getting all five tickets is super hard. The modes are fun. Wonka Tania mania is a favorite as is Oompah Loompah Oddyssey. And the First time I got to Wonka’s office felt awesome as I had to earn it. The best part of the game is my nine year old, who barely played our Addams Family machine fell in love with it. She is Grand Champion of our house and she plays more than me. Have gotten a Stranger Things since but she sticks with Wonka. Super fun for her. And I love when we get to play together and she crushes the old man.

#24 3 years ago

SW Pro
    SW Premium
    SW LE
    SW Comic Pro
    SW Comic Premium

These 5 for sure.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

Jurassic park has a deep ruleset, 3+ wizard modes (does invalid frenzy count?), unique map progression feature, 3+ main mutiballs, several t-rex modes, and awesome flow. Getting to escape nublar is definitely hard. And! if you complete everything there is...When dinosaurs ruled the earth! JP will definitely keep you occupied.

Its deep but its also pretty woodchoppy so make sure you like that style of game.

I found it fun to shoot but a chore to play.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from Occelot:

Thanks for the input guys. I'm looking for a couple pins that are difficult to beat. The reason being, I now have to have pins in my basement, so moving them is a pain in the butt. So I'm trying to prevent pin A.D.D when you get a pin, and then trade it 2 months later I know "BEATING" a pin isn't necessarily a thing, but for pins you own, you do'nt necessarily get the satisfaction of simply beating the high score Does that make sense?
    Sounds like Hobbit and turtles may be a good fit.

For replay Id say Wonka again... one of the few pins you can play a bunch of different ways.

Too many other pins are linear and to me that gets old fast having to play the same way over and over.

#27 3 years ago

I love the depth of Batman 66. There’s a ton of stuff to see and do. It does a good job of being relatively accessible but it can be as complex as you want to make it.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Its deep but its also pretty woodchoppy so make sure you like that style of game.
    I found it fun to shoot but a chore to play.

How is JP woodchoppy?

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

How is JP woodchoppy?

I think you called it a "unique map progression feature"..

Its one of those games you play one way if you want to advance far.. I guess linear is the better way of putting that.

Nothing wrong with that if you like it, just a style of game I dont care for usually....

#30 3 years ago
    C389B65E-EC49-46E5-B5FC-5A34C4A098DB (resized).jpegC389B65E-EC49-46E5-B5FC-5A34C4A098DB (resized).jpeg
    #31 3 years ago

I’ve had a turtles for a couple of weeks. The game is very fast and challenging. I consider myself a decent player and even getting to the final battle, let alone cowabunga multiball is going to take awhile. If you like fast flowing gameplay, tight shot angles and catch and shoot gameplay it’s your kind of game.

#32 3 years ago

K guys I added a poll! If you'd be so kind as to cast your votes

#33 3 years ago

Saw it mentioned earlier, but I'll put another vote in for Deadpool

#34 3 years ago

How does ACNC rate for deep code?

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

How does ACNC rate for deep code?

I’d say it is somewhere in the middle not too deep an not too shallow. Great rules with nice objectives, and a final mode that is achievable by someone with my skill set. It is the type of code the I enjoy the most in pinball. I usually can’t get into games that are too deep.

1 week later
    #36 3 years ago

Went with Turtles LE and The Hobbit Black Arrow. So good, thanks guys!

#37 3 years ago

turtles or avengers are deep. GNR is too

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from Occelot:

Went with Turtles LE and The Hobbit Black Arrow. So good, thanks guys!

Good ideas. Hobbit will keep you busy for a very long time code wise.

#39 3 years ago

If you're looking for a deep ruleset, take a look at Oktoberfest. 14 modes, 2 primary multiballs, 4 mini-wiz modes, and other features give the game lots of breadth. Then there are 14 steins, each of which give two unique power-ups, and you can mix-and-match them in almost unrestricted combinations, giving the game unprecedented depth. Most importantly, the game is just a lot of fun!

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from Occelot:

The Hobbit Black Arrow. So good, thanks guys!

Awesome choices! Where did you find Hobbit!? I want one of those myself!

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from Joeymonkey:

Awesome choices! Where did you find Hobbit!? I want one of those myself!

Jjp potc or any Elwin game.

2 years later
    #42 11 months ago

Revitalizing this thread to see how things have changed over the past few years.

Where would we put Stern Jurassic Park, Avengers (recent), and Godzilla at? Which of those games has the deepest ruleset?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-new-machines-have-the-deepest-ruleset?hl=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.