(Topic ID: 233445)

Which Munsters are you in on? Or are Skipping it?

By Marcdaddy

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which Munsters are you buying?”

• Buying a Munsters Premium 121 votes
    17%
  • Buying a Munsters Pro 83 votes
    12%
  • Buying a Munsters LE 100 votes
    14%
  • Sitting this one out 393 votes
    56%

(Multiple choice - 697 votes by 685 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190117_124632 (resized).jpg
20190117_125317 (resized).jpg
20190117_124622 (resized).jpg
20190117_124643 (resized).jpg
20190117_124612 (resized).jpg
20190117_125344 (resized).jpg
20190117_130930 (resized).jpg
20190117_125328 (resized).jpg
20190117_125949 (resized).jpg
nwNv0je.gif
Zombo (resized).jpg
s-l300-1 (resized).jpg
495C1028-C5A6-4A2A-B7C5-8BC3BB99FF49 (resized).jpeg
70F84D46-D37D-4DA4-82F0-A8A4FBF2AF0D (resized).jpeg
I've made a huge mistake.png
bingo.gif
There are 329 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from Rozeks:

Ordered an LE today. To be honest, I’d really prefer the LE with the Pro’s cabinet art/back glass. Love the look of the Premium, but color is one of the reasons we love pinball so much (not to mention that our game room is really colorful), so it’s not a great option. The LE cabinet art is my least favorite of the 3, but I prefer the color playfield and think that without the lower playfield that the game just doesn’t have enough to keep interest over time (so pro wouldn’t be a great option).

Same for me. I'm in on an LE but prefer the colors of the Pro cabinet, would look great paired up with BM66.

#102 5 years ago

I'll take a translite.

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from BSavage:

Premium for me. But I HOPE that they eliminate the color frame around the display on the premium as that totally ruins the B&W in my opinion. Just make that in greyscale and it will be much better!

Totally wrong. The B/W game has colored logos & text and color from lighting. The subtle color on the LCD looks just fine.

#104 5 years ago

Ignore art and lower playfield and you have a BOM that's outdone by Spooky and AP ...

#105 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Ignore art and lower playfield and you have a BOM that's outdone by Spooky and AP ...

Uh oh... What the coil count?!?

#106 5 years ago
2qqlub (resized).jpg2qqlub (resized).jpg
#107 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I actually love the B/W cabinet art, back glass....just not crazy about the play field.....The LE cabinet and trim is awful, but the play field and back glass are great....tough decision...I wish they made the premium with the same play field as the LE....then it would be a no brainer

How about we buy and LE And a premium and do a swap lol?

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

But Spooky and AP still have some amateur-ish traits they still need to polish out of their machines, IMO. Particularly the art. Stern has a much more cohesive product, and they can actually deliver it in a timely manner multiplied by 3 to 4 titles a year. AP really blew it by going cheap on the art and animations for Oktoberfest. Add to that the fact that the excitement and buzz on that title has gone dead, and we still haven't seen a final production model...we are in for another repeat of JJPOTC. Stern appears to be firing on all cylinders, and everyone else is going to be stuck trying to keep up this year.

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

I agree - Stewie Pinball on FGY got old fast, and this is just a slightly expanded version of that. Over here Premiums are £2500 (almost $3200) more than Pros, so no way I could justify that for a toy that I'm pretty sure I won't like when the Pro has everything else.
Then again, I've had a Ghostbusters Premium since release and the code still isn't finished, so I'm not gambling on another game coded by Dwight.

Damn, so you can either get a lower playfield on Munsters or a second 90s DMD.

#110 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

I like that idea

#111 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

But Spooky and AP still have some amateur-ish traits they still need to polish out of their machines, IMO. Particularly the art. Stern has a much more cohesive product, and they can actually deliver it in a timely manner multiplied by 3 to 4 titles a year. AP really blew it by going cheap on the art and animations for Oktoberfest. Add to that the fact that the excitement and buzz on that title has gone dead, and we still haven't seen a final production model...we are in for another repeat of JJPOTC. Stern appears to be firing on all cylinders, and everyone else is going to be stuck trying to keep up this year.

Totally. I really wanted to give Spooky a try with ACNC, but it's unappealing to me as an Alice Cooper pin. They claimed the community was "burnt out" on Stern-style rock and roll pins and decided ACNC was an exciting design point. Then Iron Maiden showed Spooky how you can take a different approach and still appeal to the bands loyal followers. ACNC is a haunted house game with Alice callouts and music sprinkled in.

Stern still has room for growth/improvement, but the boutique providers don't have the chops to compete with them. At the moment, Stern and JJP build products I'd like to own. Spooky/AP not so much. For me to want to support another manufacturer/platform, I need to love what they are doing.

#112 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm still waiting for Stern to find their 'voice' with the LCD screen. JJP has their thing going, and it's great for what they do, but not really practical (or desirable) for other games. Stern feels all over the map with every release, like they're just not sure what to do with that screen yet. The end of their dot era was so great too, games like Metallica and TWD have imo some of the best 'pixel art' of any pinball releases of any era.
It's hard, dots are a tricky art form to get right, but when you do they just click. Making that same feel in HD isn't a slam dunk. It's easy to play back movie/TV show clips, but making it all feel like a cohesive package is something else.
Munsters looks better than Guardians of the Galaxy in that regard at least.

From my perspective, it's cool that Stern is giving each game the creative freedom to do whatever they want! It's unclear if forcing the games to follow a formula is the right path, though it would likely be less costly for Stern in the long run.

#113 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Watch that happen by accident at the factory. Could be a collectible!

#114 5 years ago
Quoted from Marcdaddy:

I want to love the PREMIUM but im afraid the artwork will be too bland in person. Ive put all the playfields side by side and I wish I could have the LE playfield in the PRO cabinet.

You can always buy a populated limited play field and swap it into a pro with LE code

#115 5 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

You can always buy a populated limited play field and swap it into a pro with LE code

Or just pay a few hundred and get the Pro cabinet decals and install them on the LE.

#116 5 years ago

Born in 72 and watched the hell out of this show and Get Smart and The Addams etc... Really starting to feel this game... Very much digging the Premium! Might have to figure out a way to make it happen!

#117 5 years ago

What this machine needs is a coffin toy near the right orbit..with some kind of bash-toy that emerges from within..

#119 5 years ago

I like the look of the premium. Born in 1975 I watched this black and white show growing up. Need to play it first.

#120 5 years ago

I’m leaning “ Pro for the flow”

#121 5 years ago
Quoted from xo4all:

I like the look of the premium. Born in 1975 I watched this black and white show growing up. Need to play it first.

But you were born with a color TV.

#122 5 years ago

Never seen Munsters before
It never showed in Europe
Strictly USA theme

Looks interesting though
Mini playfield dare boring in my eyes

Maybe a pro in 6-12 months
Ones all errors are out of this game
O

#123 5 years ago

I was in for an LE, but cancelled it. The backglass doesn’t do it for me, I don’t like the coffin artwork and the Premium in black & white looks far better than I expected. First Stern I considered where the LE just didn’t do it for me. (And my wife voted down the LE art package too which makes that option moot).

Leaning toward a Premium, but if the lower playfield turns out to be gimmicky and/or annoying in home use (my impression during the streams yesterday), the Pro may get a look. However the Premium could sill win out because we both think that art package fits best with the theme/show.

The other consideration is space. I’m also really interested in Elvira 3 and can probably make room for only one of the two unless I decide to sell TAF.

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I was in for an LE, but cancelled it. The backglass doesn’t do it for me, I don’t like the coffin artwork and the Premium in black & white looks far better than I expected. First Stern I considered where the LE just didn’t do it for me. (And my wife voted down the LE art package too which makes that option moot).
Leaning toward a Premium, but if the lower playfield turns out to be gimmicky and/or annoying in home use (my impression during the streams yesterday), the Pro may get a look. However the Premium could sill win out because we both think that art package fits best with the theme/show.
The other consideration is space. I’m also really interested in Elvira 3 and can probably make room for only one of the two unless I decide to sell TAF.

Is the TAF pinball in black and white like the show? Or does it look good in color?

#125 5 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Is the TAF pinball in black and white like the show? Or does it look good in color?

TAF is based on the movie, not the TV show. It has an NOS playfield in it and looks gorgeous...

#126 5 years ago

Zzzzz looks a snooze fest. Definitely OUT.

#127 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Lower playfield will make or break the game.

I 100% agree. As much as I liked GOT prem. it was the upper playfield that killed it for me. I feel exactly the same about this game only this time it’s a lower playfield. The good news is that we have several years to see how the game and it’s code progress before pulling the trigger.

#128 5 years ago

My problem is I do love Borg games, but I feel like I already have my plate full with them. I have GOTG sitting right next to Metallica and even though they are different themes, they do have a very similar layout. Do they play different-yes but they also feel the same-Bash toy in middle, two ramps, and a scoop. People saying it is ignorance to compare this cookie cutter layout obviously do not own several Borg titles. I may be interested in a Munsters Pro(probably will be a fun game) but how many cookie cutter Borgs can I tolerate at once? I think I would have to consider selling GOTG to get Munsters, and right now I prefer the GOTG theme way more than Munsters-time will tell.

#129 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

My problem is I do love Borg games, but I feel like I already have my plate full with them. I have GOTG sitting right next to Metallica and even though they are different themes, they do have a very similar layout. Do they play different-yes but they also feel the same-Bash toy in middle, two ramps, and a scoop. People saying it is ignorance to compare this cookie cutter layout obviously do not own several Borg titles. I may be interested in a Munsters Pro(probably will be a fun game) but how many cookie cutter Borgs can I tolerate at once? I think I would have to consider selling GOTG to get Munsters, and right now I prefer the GOTG theme way more than Munsters-time will tell.

For me, it's the opposite (don't like the GOTG license or game), so I'd sell GOTG.

I'm not interested in growing my collection at the moment, so I sold my AS Pro to create a slot for Munsters Premium. Really like Aerosmith (the band), but the game is pretty mediocre. None of the shots have a great feel and the rules are very basic (and until the recent update, were even more of a mess). I have little doubt that Munsters Premium will be more fun than AS Pro, so I'm "upgrading" one of my Borg slots.

I'd like to see Borg step out of his comfort zone with PF layouts, however he did create my all time favorite game (TRON LE).

#130 5 years ago
Quoted from Rozeks:

Ordered an LE today. To be honest, I’d really prefer the LE with the Pro’s cabinet art/back glass. Love the look of the Premium, but color is one of the reasons we love pinball so much (not to mention that our game room is really colorful), so it’s not a great option. The LE cabinet art is my least favorite of the 3, but I prefer the color playfield and think that without the lower playfield that the game just doesn’t have enough to keep interest over time (so pro wouldn’t be a great option).

Ordered the LE today for the same exact reasons. Sold a machine last month to make space for Munsters and was highly anticipating seeing the playfield. Love it: the shots, the artwork, the wireforms, etc.

Yes, I wish the cabinet was that of the pro – but as much is I went back-and-forth on this, the end result is that it's fine and will simply get shoved into the lineup anyway. It's all about the playfield, which is why I went with the LE (wanted the color and grandpa's laboratory).

I personally think the lower play field looks awesome - with the ramp and the VUK. Plus the artwork. I am just a medium ranked player so give me a good upper or lower playfield and I'm not one to get bored. Still get excited when I get to Stewie's pinball - and no, I don't think this is a re-creation of that. It is new and unique and stands on its own.

My only complaint is that the Herman bash toy looks far too similar in the look and placement as MB and doesn't really resemble Fred Gwynne. Dragula might have been a better choice if they could have made that work. But I like it enough to say let's go.

Overall, I'm super excited and think John Borg did an outstanding job.

#131 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

But you were born with a color TV.

that doesnt turn a show filmed in black and white into color......?

#132 5 years ago

Showed this to the wife last night, looks like we may move out the HUO MetLE for a Munsters Premium. The black and white is kinda growing on me.

#133 5 years ago

Skipping.

Theme isn't a must have for me.

Art - superb. To think what games like Tron and AC/DC could have been like with the improved art. Sigh.

Looks like shoots smooth - it should do as it's so similar to AC/DC.

Nothing really new though and think mini p/f will get old fast.

And so far the lower scoring doesn't appeal.

Rules - hard to see yet if they have staying power.

LE - looks great and sold out at Stern so can't argue with that.

Premium - will sell a ton as it's so different.

Pro - looks great and may end up being the best shooter as no mini-p/f distraction.

#134 5 years ago

I might consider one depending on what people think of it after it's been out for a while. My only issue is I already have 2 Borg games- MET and TWD. To me this game looks a lot like MET so I don't want two of the same designs. I could sell MET but then I'm selling a Lyman coded game for a Dwight coded game

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I might consider one depending on what people think of it after it's been out for a while. My only issue is I already have 2 Borg games- MET and TWD. To me this game looks a lot like MET so I don't want two of the same designs. I could sell MET but then I'm selling a Lyman coded game for a Dwight coded game and am not thrilled about that.

bingo.gifbingo.gif
#136 5 years ago

Lyons Classic Pinball just canceled LE order and changed to Premium. We watched and remember the show in B&W and love the look of Prem playfield. Hate the extra wait but hopefully bugs will be more worked out by then.

#137 5 years ago

Yeah, I have every Borg game and just bought the LE. The game looks great.

If I enjoy the LE, I’m buying the Premium just for the art package.

#138 5 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I could sell MET but then I'm selling a Lyman coded game for a Dwight coded game

Selling Metallica to buy Munsters-I don't think so

I've made a huge mistake.pngI've made a huge mistake.png
#139 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

[quoted image]

Yeah would be tough, maybe impossible to do, but I do like the look of Munsters and I don't want 2 of the same games. I'm in no hurry for Munsters; my buddy is getting an LE, so I'll play his before I even come close to making any type of decision. To make it worse I have an AC/DC premium and everytime I see the cut out of the lower PF on Munsters it reminds me of AC/DC! lol

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Yeah would be tough, maybe impossible to do

Other problem is there are still good Borg games that I still need to check out like Kiss and TWD Pro,etc. So many Borg's-so little time

#141 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

SKIPPING! And happily awaiting my ACNC

IN! And happily awaiting my ACNC as well so they can sit by each other in harmony.

#142 5 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

To make it worse I have an AC/DC premium and everytime I see the cut out of the lower PF on Munsters it reminds me of AC/DC! lol

Ha ha got me thinking:

One misty morning, Borg doing some brainstorming back in Stern's parts warehouse for his new game.....Emm here is a window from AC/DC Premium(throws it in the cart), here is a left over ramp from WOF (throws it in the cart), here is a left over mini playfield from Stewie Pinball(throws it in the cart), here is a large one bank target from GOTG(throws it in the cart), here is an extra bicycle ramp assembly from TWD(need to modify to avoid speed bump)(throws it in the cart), now time to throw something together-in order to meet the deadline.

-Just a joke-I think Borg is a rock star!

#143 5 years ago

Said state of pinball when he onky has himself to rip off these days

#144 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

[quoted image]

i won't miss it. Trading one bash toy game for another. Sold AFM, bought METLE. Sell METLE, buy Munsters. Sell Munsters, buy......

#145 5 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

i won't miss it.

Metallica has been in my top 5 since I purchased it. It literally is bolted to the floor, mine is going nowhere. Now GOTG-that may be another story-Dammit if I did not love the theme and music so much.

#146 5 years ago

I don't get the Munsters, I was born in 72 and this show was just old and lame. There is an endless list of TV shows that I would think would be way more popular. This is the first time I have ever felt too young for pinball I can't disagree with Stern on this one as people seemed stoked on this pin and it does look good.

#147 5 years ago

I already have ac/dc luci, and the family guy, so ….no need to buy this one really.

#148 5 years ago

Will evaluate once/if the code matures. For right now sitting out.

#149 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I don't get the Munsters, I was born in 72 and this show was just old and lame. There is an endless list of TV shows that I would think would be way more popular. This is the first time I have ever felt too young for pinball I can't disagree with Stern on this one as people seemed stoked on this pin and it does look good.

It’s a testament to how great Fred Gwynn, Al lewis, and Yvonne DeCarlo were. They took a silly premise and elevated it with iconic performances that made it timeless. Even the underlying message: don’t judge a book by its cover...still holds true today. I’m re-watching the show right now, and I don’t know if it was intentional at the time, but the show is essentially about racism. A “different looking” family moves to town & everyone is fearful and skeptical of them, even though they’re sweethearts. My wife loves how Herman loves and respects her wife...very different than the usual sitcom bickering snarky married couple.

I was born in 76, and loved the show as a kid. There’s something about it that keeps it from being lame, even though it’s old. It’s still fun, it still holds up.

#150 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It’s a testament to how great Fred Gwynn, Al lewis, and Yvonne DeCarlo were. They took a silly premise and elevated it with iconic performances that made it timeless. Even the underlying message: don’t judge a book by its cover...still holds true today. I’m re-watching the show right now, and I don’t know if it was intentional at the time, but the show is essentially about racism. A “different looking” family moves to town & everyone is fearful and skeptical of them, even though they’re sweethearts. My wife loves how Herman loves and respects her wife...very different than the usual sitcom bickering snarky married couple.
I was born in 76, and loved the show as a kid. There’s something about it that keeps it from being lame, even though it’s old. It’s still fun, it still holds up.

It really is amazing that they made 70 quality episodes in two years. The show should have gone on for a few more seasons.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Augusta, GA
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,564 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods

12,063 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 329 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-munsters-are-you-in-on-or-are-skipping-it/page/3?hl=yellowghost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.