(Topic ID: 61244)

Which Medieval Madness mods look good and which do not?

By DirtySouth

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Cobra
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1902.JPG
IMG_1911.JPG
MM-PF.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

MM has a ton of available mods... Which are worthwhile and contribute to the aesthetic of the machine and which should be avoided?

#2 10 years ago

Besides invisiglass and maybe brass or chrome all around I don't think the game needs much. The playfield is crowded and tight. the dragon is the focus so maybe light up its eyes as well as the trolls. I would not get the plastic knight toys. They look cheap.

#3 10 years ago

I replaced all of the white castle insert lights at the bottom of playfield with slow color changers, I wouldn't call it a mod really but it looks terrific.

The best mod and the one I did in the first week was adding the ColorDMD ... if you do nothing else, that one is a must.

I'd like to add the color changing merlin toy where the color matches the modes for the merlin shot. Mirror blades maybe?

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtySouth:

MM has a ton of available mods... Which are worthwhile and contribute to the aesthetic of the machine and which should be avoided?

After having a MM all moded up with nearly everyone one I decided to scale it down on my 2nd MM. I am only adding the color DMD, shaker motor, damsel figure, and trolls with lights. I feel those are tasteful mods and not over the top. I am also adding LED's really don't even consider that a mod anymore since it's so common.

#5 10 years ago

This mod doesn't look so good! (Sorry EXidy)

image.jpgimage.jpg

#6 10 years ago

The lightning backboard mod is a must-have for MM in my opinion. HUGE improvement.

#7 10 years ago

Is the lightning backlit, or is it an updated decal for the backboard... going to make me walk in the other room and look now aren't you.

If it is a black board and the lightning is only visible when it flashes... oh wow that would be something!

#8 10 years ago

I have got that lightning background, it was imstalled when i bought the gamee, it really does something for the gameplay, that mod is a must.
I dont have anything else, so i am checking this thread for more inputs

#9 10 years ago

Anyone know a few places to buy the lit backboard?

#10 10 years ago

Just added two spotlights to the top of each slingshot plastic with mummite and WOW does it make a difference on this game!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Just added two spotlights to the top of each slingshot plastic with mummite and WOW does it make a difference on this game!

Have a pic?

Yeah pretty expensive for the backboard.

#13 10 years ago

The only mod I have is the light up troll eyes. I didn't even realize it was a mod at first. I can't imagine seeing those trolls pop up with no lights.

#14 10 years ago

Yep, LED troll eyes mod is great.

I also have the LED Catapult mod, which I really like.

http://pimpmypin.com/medieval-madness-mods.html

#15 10 years ago

Here is a pic of the added spotlights. Before this the game was as dark as the castle inserts.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#16 10 years ago

I find MB to be quite a bit darker than MM.

I have the spots on my MB, but not MM.

#17 10 years ago

Adding a socket under the knight-plastic just below the catapult, lights up the left side.

Wall-skull-leds, candle-flickering in tower and troll-leds are pretty good looking too.

MM-PF.JPGMM-PF.JPG

#18 10 years ago

Here is a picture of the lighted backboard from behind and installed (I'm doing a playfield swap right now so it's pretty easy to get a shot of what it looks like from the backside). Chris Hutchins installed the backboard and make the wiring harness for it (this was back in 2005).

Would definitely recommend the backboard, it adds a nice touch.

IMG_1911.JPGIMG_1911.JPG IMG_1902.JPGIMG_1902.JPG

#19 10 years ago

Anyone know who has the damsel figure?

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

Anyone know who has the damsel figure?

"After" pic:

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AC-MM4DAMSEL

One of the last sources remaining; very limited supply:

http://store.woodenrailwayadventures.com/once-upon-a-time-prince-charming.html

Mod takes some custom work, but if you're good at modding, it's a neat addition IMO (especially if you tie-in the flasher/replace the standard bulb with a Cointaker flex you hot glue in place above the figure).

#21 10 years ago

All this MM mod talk is making me want another MM
Any one in Oregon have one they want to sell

#22 10 years ago

Thanks NM, talk about screwing a person on shipping! $9.95 for a little figure that costs $11.25

#23 10 years ago

Other cool MM mods IMO include:

1. Lightning Backplex.
2. Merlin figure with color-changing crystal ball.
3. Custom painted castle.
4. Catapult plastic GI mod.
5. Upgraded speakers.

While the Troll LED-eyes are neat (when assessed on a stand-alone basis), I chose not to add them based on the fact the cabinet artwork depicts real biological eyes on the Trolls themselves, so my preference was to omit the mod...but I'll agree: they are neat.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Sgtmax:

Have a pic?
Yeah pretty expensive for the backboard.

Made my own for less than $25 bucks.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

Made my own for less than $25 bucks

Care to share how?

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from NM:

hile the Troll LED-eyes are neat (when assessed on a stand-alone basis), I chose not to add them based on the fact the cabinet artwork depicts real biological eyes on the Trolls themselves,

Neil, look at the Troll on the bottom left of the front of the pin (under the coin door). Those eyes don't look very "real" to me!

In fact, I'd say that the LED eye mod makes the eyes look more like that Troll than without it.

#27 10 years ago

I have a shaker, damsel, lighted trolls, lighted dragon, lighted castle wall, catapult light socket, color changing merlin (not matched color changing though), non glare glass, colorDMD, flipper arrow covers. This was all on it when I got it except the DMD, flipper covers and merlin, moat jump etched protector, graphic sideboards.
Also when I got it it had a cold cathode moat light, I liked it but it was causing issues.
A giant horse/jouster over the peasant ramp, 2 figures near the outlanes (all too gaudy for me)
I think thats all

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

Care to share how?

+1 i wanna do one for addams family.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Neil, look at the Troll on the bottom left of the front of the pin (under the coin door). Those eyes don't look very "real" to me!

In fact, I'd say that the LED eye mod makes the eyes look more like that Troll than without it.

I see what you're saying on the left one Rob--I should have also stated my opinion was also based on the translite...3 out of 4 then (perhaps)?

Either way: semantics.

Who knows...I may come around yet.

Neat mod.

#30 10 years ago

All this troll eye talk....anyone make a kit similar to what pinbits sells to light up the eyes? They are sold out and have not heard back from Pam as to when they will be back in stock

#31 10 years ago

Anyone have detailed pics of the upgraded castle with all the moss and custom paint?

1 month later
#32 10 years ago

cool thread I thought I would bump. congrats to all new future owners.

#33 10 years ago

Oh man. So like another 1000-1500 for mods looks like.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 64.99
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-medieval-madness-mods-look-good-and-which-do-not and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.