(Topic ID: 175121)

Which Machines To Finish Off My Collection?

By EricHadley

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by dmesserly
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which 4 Machines Should I Get?”

• Monster Bash, Attack From Mars, Metallica, AC/DC 14 votes
    22%
  • Monster Bash, Attack From Mars, Metallica, Indiana Jones 18 votes
    28%
  • Monster Bash, Attach From Mars, Indiana Jones and another 90's machine 13 votes
    20%
  • Something altogether different 20 votes
    31%

(65 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN5170 (resized).JPG
DSCN5169 (resized).JPG
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

I currently have 11 machines, a mix of older and newer machines. My goal is a total of 15 in my collection, which 4 should I add to round off my collection nicely? To me, 2 of the must have's are Monster Bash and Attack From Mars, I also placed Metallica and AC/DC on my wish list....but I'm not sure about both Metallica and AC/DC. Also what about Indiana Jones? Thoughts?

#2 7 years ago

You might find MM and AFM too similar. I like IJ and would probably pick that over one of the rock themes if there is a band you don't really care for.

#4 7 years ago

Metallica and Monster Bash may also be too similar (in layout, not rules), IMHO. After I played both, the shots felt pretty similar to me. So if I were choosing, between the two (even though you say MB is a must-have), I'd say MET, just because it's deeper rules may hold your attention longer than MB would.

Given that, I also agree with YeOldPinballer with his statement saying that MM and AFM would also be too similar. If you're selecting games you'll be holding onto for a while, you'll want to have a pile of games with a diverse and different set of rules and layouts.

If I were you, I'd consider the following games to consider as well:
White Water
Indianapolis 500
No Good Gophers

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I currently have 11 machines, a mix of older and newer machines.

Actually, I'd go older. The 90s were awesome, but the 70s also rocked with games. A classic Bally or Stern is a great game to add. Plus, the short games they provide are great for competing on.

#6 7 years ago

I think you need at least one 80's machine. A classic Stern like Seawitch or Dragonfist would be awesome. Bally has great stuff from the 80's also (Fathom, Medusa, etc).

Also, perhaps consider grabbing one game from 2017 like Dialed In or the upcoming Star Wars; then get one modern Stern like Metalica and one 90's game like MB.

#7 7 years ago

if you're talking 90s I would def have an IJ, and maybe think aboot Wh20.

But agreed with DaveH on older. The kind of cash you're throwing around you could get a kick ass Classic Bally in there. FG, 8BD, Centaur, Paragon etc

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think you need at least one 80's machine. A classic Stern like Seawitch or Dragonfist would be awesome. Bally has great stuff from the 80's also (Fathom, Medusa, etc).
Also, perhaps consider grabbing one game from 2017 like Dialed In or the upcoming Star Wars; then get one modern Stern like Metalica and one 90's game like MB.

He is looking at completing a cookie cutter collection. Those 80s games would require him to think out of the box.

#9 7 years ago

Four EMs is what you need

#10 7 years ago

Great collection!

Thinking a WOZ, IJ, or Scared Stiff.... I was going to say Metallica also, but you already considered that.

#11 7 years ago

MB
AFM
And maybe a WOZ

#12 7 years ago

WOZ and Scared Stiff are certainly worth consideration. Thx, for sure Scared Stiff instead of AC/DC

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

He is looking at completing a cookie cutter collection. Those 80s games would require him to think out of the box.

Don't mind thinking outside the box, but no real interest in any EM's.....Some 80's machines might be worth consideration for sure.

#14 7 years ago

Get your dream games. Enjoy them and then start trying others as you tire of them. No reason to hurry through the process. You will have no trouble selling those games to the next person in line wanting to do as you are now.

I've had most of the grails that I ever imagined I would own. That and some oddballs. Currently, I'm enjoying the variety a little. They come and go pretty frequently in my game room.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Get your dream games. Enjoy them and then start trying others as you tire of them. No reason to hurry through the process. You will have no trouble selling those games to the next person in line wanting to do as you are now.
I've had most of the grails that I ever imagined I would own. That and some oddballs. Currently, I'm enjoying the variety a little. They come and go pretty frequently in my game room.

My problem is I had room for 5 and liked them all and didn't have any I wanted to sell, but I wanted more. So I made room for 10, then same issue, i liked them all and wanted more. Now I have room for 15.......When will it end???

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

My problem is I had room for 5 and liked them all and didn't have any I wanted to sell, but I wanted more. So I made room for 10, then same issue, i liked them all and wanted more. Now I have room for 15.......When will it end???

My best guess is money, boredom, or other interests.

My story. I got a game. Then 2,3,4,5...10. I ran out of room. I was upstairs so I got an escalera. I moved and built a detached game room. I could have whatever I wanted, within reason. Ultimately I decided 10-14 was my max. I wanted a nice work room and a nice space for leasure and friends. When all was said and done I realized that I had spent a small fortune on the game room, excluding the valuable games inside. At some point, for all of us, it becomes about value. The only difference is the number of zeros in your budget. I am fortunate to have nice things. I decided that 10-14 was enough, if not too much.

I enjoy the $300 smoker on the porch of that game room just as much as my much more expensive pinballs inside.

#18 7 years ago

Have most the ones your looking for and cldnt be happier.....

#19 7 years ago

Tron!

#20 7 years ago

How about something interesting? Right now your collection and list of wanted is pretty cookie cutter. Fun machines, but the same machines everyone else goes for.

#21 7 years ago

It looks like we have fairly similar collections. You should definitely consider Met and MB which are two of my favorites. Also consider bram stoker Dracula ,CFTBL and maybe a spooky RZor his next game? Alien is also looking like a potential classic.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

How about something interesting? Right now your collection and list of wanted is pretty cookie cutter. Fun machines, but the same machines everyone else goes for.

I have to agree. With a collection as big as you have, now is a good time to find a classic title from another era and branch out a bit. Giving a collection some diversity is a good time IME.

Should also ask how your colelction is used. Just you? family? friends? casuals? pinheads?

I think you would really dig a good system 11 in your colelction. Looks like you have little experience with anything outside of the pinside top 40. LOTS of other great title out there worth exploring.

#23 7 years ago

your collection is never complete.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I have to agree. With a collection as big as you have, now is a good time to find a classic title from another era and branch out a bit. Giving a collection some diversity is a good time IME.
Should also ask how your colelction is used. Just you? family? friends? casuals? pinheads?
I think you would really dig a good system 11 in your colelction. Looks like you have little experience with anything outside of the pinside top 40. LOTS of other great title out there worth exploring.

I wish the pinside top 100 could be resorted by the experience of the reviewer. A lot of new collectors (<5 years) equate quality with newness, price or place on the pinside top 50. A lot of games in the top 50 are from people who have left the hobby yet their rankings remain to lure in new cookie cutter collectors. It took me 15 years to figure out what games work best for me and when i see cookie cutter games at shows i usually walk on by unless i don't have a lot of experience with them. I could go the rest of my life never playing another mm. No interest. Boring. Yet it astounds me at how desirable it is.

Anyway, not trying to second guess anyone elses opinion on "hot" games but you never see a 20 year collector with only cookie cutter collections. Just sayin'.

#25 7 years ago

I don't understand all the negativity on the "cookie cuter" games.....I enjoy every single game in my collection, I got them because they are fun.......Let me know what fun games I am missing out on

#26 7 years ago

Black Knight, Centaur , Eightball Deluxe, Taxi, High speed , creature from the black Lagoon, funhouse

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I don't understand all the negativity on the "cookie cuter" games.....I enjoy every single game in my collection, I got them because they are fun.......Let me know what fun games I am missing out on

no negativity, just many find it a bit bland as your collection currently is similar to every other high end 'A' lister collection.

Fun games you are missing out on and would fit in your collction...
I would say ANY sys11. Wwind and ES woudl probably be good fits.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

TBH, it seems every second day there is a new "What NIB LE should I buy?" Thread

Why not shake things up and own an older game?

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

TBH, it seems every second day there is a new "What NIB LE should I buy?" Thread
Why not shake things up and own an older game?

Ya Ya, all for older games! Fun House is a good one!

#30 7 years ago

If you are considering an older classic game: EATPM, Diner, Whirlwind, Dr. Dude, Taxi, EBD, Strikes and Spares, Meteor, Skateball, Funhouse, Mystic, Big Game, Nine Ball, Medusa, Firepower, Bally Atlantis, and Harlem Globetrotters would be some good ones to consider.

#31 7 years ago

Gottlieb/Premier made some really ingenius and fun games in the 80's. Have a look on YouTube at Hollywood Heat, Gold Wings, Deadly Weapon, Alien Star, and Genesis. The art may be lacking, but the gameplay and engineering are surprisingly good. And alternate translites are available.

#32 7 years ago

I agree with the folks throwing WH20 out there. I have one next to a MB and I think I'd take the WH20 over MB just cause it's so unique. There isn't a bad choice in the games you're considering though.

#33 7 years ago

Based on what you have and what you've listed as a priority:

- AFM
- IJ (especially with a Pinsound)
- MB
- WoZ (a more modern TZ, similar in complexity and ambition) With as serious of a collection as what you are building, it's by far the deepest game on the planet and would have the longevity to last.

#34 7 years ago

Your initial thoughts for 4 games were MB, AFM, Met, and ACDC. I have all of these in my collection and are all great choices. Is it possible that you will get bored or some will be similar to other games? Sure, but they will all hold their value if you change your mind and sell.

#35 7 years ago

Op i have mb. Afm. Met, mb and ss. Love them all but ss is very different in its layout and rules so you sld definitely look into one. Also bsd is still a top pin to me even having all the others and not to mention much cheaper than the others.

#36 7 years ago

EBD. I am still looking for nice example. Or perhaps BOP 2.0. Little bit of change up but great titles. Idk...

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Haven't you been paying attention. It's no longer cool to own all of the top titles

My best advice would to not buy anything for a while. Fly to a couple of the larger shows with the money you save by not buying a game and play a ton of pinball. You will find what you like. There's also nothing wrong with liking and owning most of the highest rated games. They are the highest rated for a reason. You might not like all of them but overall they are rated highly because they are all really good in their own ways.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I currently have 11 machines, a mix of older and newer machines.

Funny, I'm not seeing any "older" machines in your collection. And IMO you might go thru quite a few in and out before you think you are finishing off a collection.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Funny, I'm not seeing any "older" machines in your collection. And IMO you might go thru quite a few in and out before you think you are finishing off a collection.

I consider 90's to be "older"
I have zero interest in EM's

#40 7 years ago

I have zero interest in most of your collection so I guess that's only fitting.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I have zero interest in most of your collection so I guess that's only fitting.

k, buh bye

#42 7 years ago

You ask for opinions and opinions is what you get. Sorry not everybody gives you what you want to hear.

Carry on, cookie cutter boy...

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You ask for opinions and opinions is what you get. Sorry not everybody gives you what you want to hear.
Carry on, cookie cutter boy...

Go away

#44 7 years ago

Hit a nerve did I?

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I consider 90's to be "older"
I have zero interest in EM's

Your opinion may never change on this but don't close off games until you get a chance to play them in good working condition and really experience them. I used to think it was silly to own games that were not at least DMD or LCD displays. Now I enjoy 1980 Bally's as much as my DMD games. There are some really good games from most of the different era's of pinball that still hold up well against new games when it comes to art, fun, and value.

#46 7 years ago

to be fair, you asked for opinions. If you have absolutely no desire to garner any opionions outside of those that tell you to build more of the sterotypical top 40 games, then just clarify your thread title.

Let's look at your current collection

Medieval Madness (Remake - LE) #1
Twilight Zone #2
Lord of the Rings #5
Addams Family, The #6
Star Trek: The Next Generation #14
Ghostbusters (Premium/LE) #16
Star Trek LE / Premium #17
The Simpsons Pinball Party #21
The Walking Dead (Prem/LE) #29
The Hobbit #30
Game of Thrones (Premium/LE) #35

If you want more of the same then I would start with #3, 4, 7-13, 15, 18-20, ....

You already list #3 and #4 so might as well just do #8 -10 and finish it all off.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Hit a nerve did I?

At least OP doesn't set his collection to "private" like you do...kindof cowardly to make fun of someone's collection when you won't disclose what you own.

#48 7 years ago

Truth be told I'd get rid of some of my unique non cookie cutter collection for some of those pins if I had the coin! Go with what you like, they're popular titles for a reason.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

kindof cowardly to make fun of someone's collection when you won't disclose what you own.

Do I need a collection to have an opinion? What if I was just a player and owned no games. Would I then be banned from the club? I didn't "make fun" of his collection. I only stated I had no interest in most of those games as I have played or owned them all and no longer care for most of them. He's the one that got bent and rudely told me to get lost.

Anyway it wasn't me that showed off what I had and then asked others what else I should buy and if you read my first comment, it was just that, a comment.

For the sake of giving the OP what he most likely wants the hear, I say buy all four, because if that's what he wants, that is what he will probably do anyway.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Do I need a collection to have an opinion? What if I was just a player and owned no games. Would I then be banned from the club? I didn't "make fun" of his collection. I only stated I had no interest in most of those games as I have played or owned them all and no longer care for most of them. He's the one that got bent and rudely told me to get lost.
Anyway it wasn't me that showed off what I had and then asked others what else I should buy and if you read my first comment, it was just that, a comment.
For the sake of giving the OP what he most likely wants the hear, I say buy all four, because if that's what he wants, that is what he will probably do anyway.

You did make fun of his collection and you were rightfully punished. Glad someone is finally monitoring your posts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
$ 12.95
$ 24.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-machines-to-finish-off-my-collection?hl=mightygrave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.