(Topic ID: 132734)

Which light socket did you use in your EBD pop bumper restore?

By Evets

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Any preference based on experience? The original pop lamp setup is not an option for me, unless replacement parts are available. On hand, I have the hard metal legged #44/47 pop lamp sockets typical in early Sterns, as well both versions of the #555 wedge (hard metal legs and soft wire legs). The soft wire leg 555s are closest to the originals, but I dislike their "floppiness" in general. Any problems using either of the other two varieties? Height issue? Thanks

#2 8 years ago

I use the flat metal leg type in all my bumper rebuilds. The black plastic body ones are better than the gray bodies. The leads on the gray ones are brittle, so be gentle if you use those.

#3 8 years ago

I used the hard metal #44 last time.

They are lower profile.

#4 8 years ago

My thanks to each of you. I have the black body hard metal and the all metal 44s on hand; I'll probably go with the all metal 44s since they are lower profile and because I am leaning towards converting all of the 555s under the PF to 44s. Thanks again.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Evets:

I am leaning towards converting all of the 555s under the PF to 44s.

You will be a happy man the day you throw out all those junk #555 sockets!

#6 8 years ago

Height is not an issue with 8BD caps as they have the raised snap-in top.

Quoted from vid1900:

You will be a happy man the day you throw out all those junk #555 sockets!

Interesting. I feel the exact same way about crappy 44 sockets in pop bumpers. The filaments break prematurely and vibration causes them to go dark erratically. Then you're pulling the glass and caps every so often to poke the bulb so it lights up again. No thanks. I will continue to use the (in my experience) much more dependable wedge base and simply lean it over for height clearance.

#7 8 years ago

The pops in my EBD are #555 and I have not had one issue with them. The inserts yes, but the pops work great.

#8 8 years ago

You know, Cody, I had forgotten about that particular "joy" in the pops of my early Sterns. I wound up putting the warmest, softest LEDs I could find in the pop 44s for that reason. Hmmm. Now I'm swaying back to the 555s for pops only. Thanks for the response.

My thanks to you as well, Chuck.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Height is not an issue with 8BD caps as they have the raised snap-in top.

I oftentimes use those big LED pop lamps, so I can definitely use the room.

Incandescent users don't have that problem, but the next owner may want something different.

#10 8 years ago

With me, there is no "next owner".

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Evets:

With me, there is no "next owner".

Then your only decision is if you need the extra headroom for LED clusters or not.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I oftentimes use those big LED pop lamps, so I can definitely use the room.
Incandescent users don't have that problem, but the next owner may want something different.

Then they can install sockets to fit their needs like I did. I'm not fixing my pin for the convenience of the guy who buys it after I die.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

I'm not fixing my pin for the convenience of the guy who buys it after I die.

I'm the opposite; always thinking of the needs of others.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-light-socket-did-you-use-in-your-ebd-pop-bumper-restore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.