(Topic ID: 85269)

Which LEDs to use for right-angled insert bulbs?

By m00dawg

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by m00dawg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0104.JPG
100_0107-364.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I've been going back and forth on buying a complete LED kit for my STTNG or just slowly replacing bulbs once I figure out what I like. Either way, I have a few burnt out (or even missing) bulbs and I may as well put in LEDs for them.

For the bulbs that are right-angled to the insert, what is the best thing to use? The flexible LED bulbs look like the best choice, but are they too tall? Would just a normal frosted work? Specifically, this is for a few of the insignia inserts (such as the one in front of the Borg ship).

Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

The flex heads can be bent to fit precisely to the center of the insert. The single SMD frosted bulbs are bright enough in most cases as well to work fine at lesser cost than a flex.

#3 10 years ago

I used the flex LEDs on mine for all those right angle 555 sockets. It seemed like the best option to me. They are not too tall. You can always bend them to point at whatever location/angle you like.

#4 10 years ago

Awesome thanks folks! Nice to know I have some options there!

#5 10 years ago

I used the Flex leds too, mind you, some of the leds are a right bugger to replace as a few are in hard to reach places. For instance, there are at least 3 that are behind the underneath subway ramp, and for the time being i've left the original bulbs in place cause i cant be bothered taking the subway off to get to them (Quite an undertaking)!!

#6 10 years ago

Make sure to get non-ghosting flex

#7 10 years ago

Cool deal. I grabbed up some LEDs from Nifty LED. I figured I'd give them a try since they seem to be a newer game in town and a smaller shop.

I had a few flashers out though right after buying LED replacements, I read folks don't really like LED flashers I guess we'll see. They are the ones for under the Return To Duty and jets.

Indeed I noticed that a few won't be very fun to replace :/ but the ones I was going to replace seem to be easy(ish) to get to. I went ahead and grabbed some for the saucer section of the playfield and that looks to be pretty cake.

As far as flicker, I was planning on going the LED OCD route so opted to just get regular ones. Since I don't have the OCD yet, I guess we're about to find out if that was a huge mistake or not here in a few days If the flicker is really bad, well, just gives me a reason to get the OCD sooner I suppose Although, I guess in hindsight the no-ghosting LEDs basically have some sort of capacitor to smooth out the peaks and so basically don't flicker at all?

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from m00dawg:

For the bulbs that are right-angled to the insert, what is the best thing to use?

In STTNG I have flexes for these and they work great. That said, I put LEDs in a Williams IJ and it has a lot of 90 degree sockets as well. I didn't have any flexes so I just used frosted 1SMDs from Comet and frankly I don't notice that it's much different than the flexes in STTNG.

Quoted from m00dawg:

I had a few flashers out though right after buying LED replacements, I read folks don't really like LED flashers

I disagree! I really like LED flashers. They are bright for sure, but you can color match the bulb to the dome and the flash ends up much richer in color. Think about it, normal flashers are a super bright yellow-white light behind the colored dome. If you match the color, they are a lot different. If it's too bright for you, that's another issue altogether.

Quoted from m00dawg:

As far as flicker, I was planning on going the LED OCD route

Smart choice. I have this board in all me games that support it and it is awesome.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

In STTNG I have flexes for these and they work great. That said, I put LEDs in a Williams IJ and it has a lot of 90 degree sockets as well. I didn't have any flexes so I just used frosted 1SMDs from Comet and frankly I don't notice that it's much different than the flexes in STTNG.

I almost just went with frosted (actually bought a few extra) but figured I would see what the flexes are all about.

Quoted from Cheeks:

I disagree! I really like LED flashers. They are bright for sure, but you can color match the bulb to the dome and the flash ends up much richer in color. Think about it, normal flashers are a super bright yellow-white light behind the colored dome. If you match the color, they are a lot different. If it's too bright for you, that's another issue altogether.

Ah good to get another opinion on that I agree, it seems like colored flashers would look really nice. Pretty excited to see what the Return to Duty one looks like. Quite a few of the flashers don't seem to be quite in your face so I think converting the whole lot for STTNG is the way I'm leaning towards.

Quoted from Cheeks:

Smart choice. I have this board in all me games that support it and it is awesome.

I would have ordered one already but after spending all that money on the actual machine, the Mrs., right so, gave me a funny look when I suggested we get it. I'll get it soonish. I want the GI one too but that'll have to wait. I'm not even worrying about GI right now and just focusing on the inserts and things.

#10 10 years ago

So I have about half the playfield converted - at least most of the easy to get to bulbs. I used the flex LEDs in a few places but I think for my next order I may try frosted just to see how they compare. The flex LEDs look good where they are. I want to work on the kickback targets next and I think flex LEDs there might be too bright. So I'm going to see how regular frosted works there.

All told, the machine looks beautiful and I'm only half done with the inserts - haven't even started on GI.

The only thing I've run into so far is the flashers I bought look beautiful, but are too bright. The shields are blinding and Return To Duty is punching me in the face

#11 10 years ago

Did my LED conversion last year. I used the flex style LED in all right angled sockets. I think it is the only way to get the most light coverage. Even the kick back insert. Try a color changing fast blink in the WORM HOLE insert adds cool effect. Do to some ghosting issues in the mode inserts use a nonghosting LED for those for sure . Hope this helps.

100_0107-364.JPG100_0107-364.JPG 100_0104.JPG100_0104.JPG
#12 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Did my LED conversion last year. I used the flex style LED in all right angled sockets. I think it is the only way to get the most light coverage. Even the kick back insert. Try a color changing fast blink in the WORM HOLE insert adds cool effect. Do to some ghosting issues in the mode inserts use a nonghosting LED for those for sure . Hope this helps.

Looks gorgeous! Great idea for the wormhole! I assume you used something like this?

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1ledrgbcc.htm

How well does it work? Or I should say how fast does it color-change?

I also like your use of colored lights for the modes. I haven't run into ghosting there but have in a few other places like the inserts around the Borg scoop.

Actually, on the note of that scoop, is there not a cliffy for that? I don't really have any wear there but it seems like that may be a place where it was likely? That and my in-lanes have scratched up ball trails I haven't been able to fix (thinking of putting mylar down there).

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from m00dawg:

Looks gorgeous! Great idea for the wormhole! I assume you used something like this?
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1ledrgbcc.htm
I also like your use of colored lights for the modes. I haven't run into ghosting there but have in a few other places like the inserts around the Borg scoop.
Actually, on the note of that scoop, is there not a cliffy for that? I don't really have any wear there but it seems like that may be a place where it was likely? That and my in-lanes have scratched up ball trails I haven't been able to fix (thinking of putting mylar down there).

I got one of these bulbs as a free sample once. It faded between all the colors at half a second per color then just blinked red green and blue. You just plug it in like a normal bulb and the circuitry inside changes the colors for you.
Last time I tried to get some they were out of stock.

They have these:
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1ledrgb.htm
That just slowly fade through all the colors and that looks great.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from m00dawg:

It blinks very fast A couple colors per second. The one you showed a link to will work as well. I have never seen it . By the description. It is a mixture of (slow fade) and then (fast blink). The other link from

Quoted from ExtraCredits:

They have these:
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1ledrgb.htm
That just slowly fade through all the colors and that looks great.

Is a slow fade color changer it is what I used in the Start mission insert. And really looks cool on back box . One behind the Enterprise ship. One behind the Borg ship. And one between those two where the image of the tractor beam is. If you want to know the exact Fast blink color changing LED I used for the WORM HOLE send me a private message. As far as putting in cliffy's there is a set . I like the look of the real wood and art work. So I do not use them as much. But that's me. True Mylar for the inlanes is overkill. It is to thick. Go to an office supply store and get 2-3 mil.8x10" Self Seal Laminating sheet. Much thinner than Mylar and will work best. Peace, Rob

#15 10 years ago

Thanks Rob!

Lots to think about there. I think I'll start with the Wormhole as far as colors go and see how that looks, then go from there.

I couldn't find the Cliffys and, according to this:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/RrgM9p3C0po

They aren't made. Not by Cliff anyway. Mine are in good shape, but want to keep them that way. They're in good enough shape to where I'm not super concerned for the moment, but would be nice.

The in-lanes I'm more concerned about. Really good call on the self seal stuff! I may give that a shot. I also thought about getting a playfield protector but I dunno. That seems to be a considerably divided topic.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Isn't this what you were asking about?
http://passionforpinball.com/sttng_scoop.htm
Steve

That's for the Neutral Zone and ball launch, which I actually do have Cliffy's for. The other holes would be the Command Decision and Borg Ship. Having protectors for those would be nice. Borg Ship in particular is a pretty frequent shot, though certainly 2nd to the Neutral Zone.

#18 10 years ago

Link sent to Cliffy, hopefully he can answer your questions if he can break free.

Steve

#19 10 years ago

Thanks for the heads up Steve. Man, I really need a STTNG playfield to work from. I have modified my single drop to work in the start mission scoop but it's rarely worn and even more rarely asked for. Still, would love to get all holes covered.

#20 10 years ago

I also use a fast color-changer in my worm hole insert! Great minds think alike

Another cool addition is i put a slow color changer in the back box behind the tractor beam the Borg ship is firing at the Enterprise. It doesn't add a lot of color since it's behind basically blue translite, but it adds a slow pulse with a slight color shift, to add a little "animation" to the beam.

I also think LED flashers are way too bright for the shields and shoot again insert. You're looking right at them when they go off, they're not in your peripheral vision like a lot of other flashers.

One last thing -- if you get anti ghosting bulbs, they may interact strangely with LED OCD if you upgrade to that eventually. I'm a huge fan of LED OCD but I get your wife's position on the matter . The good news is bulbs are cheap, it's not a big deal to buy a few more if you have to.

#21 10 years ago

Most of the bulbs on STTNG you can get to with a minimum of fuss.

I've never removed the subway at all, but there are a few 555 sockets that are mounted on PCBs that are infinitely easier to get to if you detach the PCB from the underside of the playfield. Much easier than removing the subway, I think.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Most of the bulbs on STTNG you can get to with a minimum of fuss.
I've never removed the subway at all, but there are a few 555 sockets that are mounted on PCBs that are infinitely easier to get to if you detach the PCB from the underside of the playfield. Much easier than removing the subway, I think.

The biggest pain if I remember is the left and right VUK. They have to be taken off . And the subway I think you have to get a few LED under it. But Maybe I loosened it for cleaning. I looks daunting . But If I can do it any one can. Note : I really Like the effect of adding BLUE LED FLASHERs in the BORG ship . Blue looks excellent .

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

The biggest pain if I remember is the left and right VUK. They have to be taken off . And the subway I think you have to get a few LED under it. But Maybe I loosened it for cleaning. I looks daunting . But If I can do it any one can. Note : I really Like the effect of adding BLUE LED FLASHERs in the BORG ship . Blue looks excellent .

I'm sure it does. my only objection, and this is only because i am a star trek super-nerd, is that it doesn't particularly fit the Borg theme. their colors on the show were generally green, black, and metallic grey. I associate blue more with the Federation. I think it works great for the Enterprise's shields, for example. Romulans - also green. Klingons: red and brown.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

I'm sure it does. my only objection, and this is only because i am a Star Trek super-nerd, is that it doesn't particularly fit the Borg theme. their colors on the show were generally green, black, and metallic grey. I associate blue more with the Federation. I think it works great for the Enterprise's shields, for example. Romulans - also green. Klingons: red and brown.

Yes you are a STAR TREK nerd. And there is nothing wrong with that. I only know my Borg ship had blue widows. That is how I based my LED color. All I know is it looks awesome. Blue is one of my favorite colors. As far as the Shield 555 sockets I used Cyan or Teal . I could not find a Teal flasher for I left the incandescent ones in.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

Thanks for the heads up Steve. Man, I really need a STTNG playfield to work from. I have modified my single drop to work in the start mission scoop but it's rarely worn and even more rarely asked for. Still, would love to get all holes covered.

Me too! But you're right, there isn't really any wear on the other holes - at least on mine. I find that surprising given the number of times I have to hit them. The Borg shot is a significant part of the game so I'm gunning for that shot frequently. The Neutral Zone is usually a happy accident when I hit it Crazy how the wear is so different.

Your Cliffy's that I do have are wonderful, so if you are ever able to fabricate the others, I'm definitely out to get them! I'm all the way over in Texas (I believe your in Cali?) so I can't be of much help over here :/

@pezpunk, yep the shield and Return to Duty flashers were originally intense. I tamed them by doing a resistor swap and they are much better now. RtD is still a tad bright, but the shields are as bright as they need to be. In Borg multiball they are bright enough to sometimes make you get distracted which seems to be the intent when the Borg fire shots. So the effect, now that I have the brightness dialed in a bit better, is where I want. I have mild concerns over blue LEDs being a potential hazard but otherwise I'm happy with it so far.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 63.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 15.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-leds-to-use-for-right-angled-insert-bulbs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.