Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Fifty
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7403 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7444 (resized).JPG
    #1 5 years ago

What is your favorite way to switch to LEDs for feature lights/inserts? You do try to color match or just go with white light LEDs?

THanks

#2 5 years ago

Personal preference, but I really like single SMD frosted non-ghosting white LEDs. If the insert is yellow, orange, or red, go warm white, otherwise go natural white.

You have to be careful not to overpower the insert. If you do, the playfield will look dark by contrast.

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1smd5050ng.htm

#3 5 years ago

I usually color match but tend to use warm white for yellows and oranges. Really it’s all personal preference. Highly recomned getting an OCD board if you’re swapping over for smoothing and ghosting.

#4 5 years ago

I think it depends on the game. I wouldn't let a cool white anywhere near my IJ because of the antique theme, and color matching washes out the artwork on the inset. The warm whites make all the colors in the art on the inset come through. However, on my T2, I used cool white and color matched the insets because there is no artwork on the insets. The color matched insets look a little unnatural, but that looks ok on the T2 which is supposed be cold and robotic. I've used cointaker non ghosting throughout and I love them.

#5 5 years ago

I don’t go non ghosting unless they are needed. But 50/50 one smd frosted warm white bulbs for everywhere on every game is a good rule of thumb I like to use.

#6 5 years ago

Colour match. The only exceptions are yellow and orange.

For orange use a pink LED. The orange insert filters out the pink light and creates a perfect orange glow.

For yellow use warm white. At least this is my preference on Williams machines. I know the yellow coloured insert on Stern pins is a bit different.

#7 5 years ago

Totally depends on the game.

For early SS, I use clear retro warm white since the look is consistent with incandescent and they look wonderful under transparent inserts. The playfields aren't that brightly lit and most games don't have flashers so I don't like to overpower by using 1 SMD bulbs. I color match under red and usually blue.

Blue can have different possibilities so you have to experiment. Blue bulbs will give a deep rich color. Ice blue will enhance pale blue inserts without changing the color where white bulbs will make them look washed out. For Firepower I broke protocol and put 1 SMD ice blue under the blue inserts. I thought it would be too much, but it really works. They looked anemic with the retro bulbs and too dark with blue bulbs.

For late 80's and 90's games I usually use 1 SMD warm white and still color match under red and blue.

#8 5 years ago

I hesitated to click this, but this is the most constructive LED thread since forever.
    Thanks, learned some good tips I'm looking forward to trying out!

#9 5 years ago

It depends on the insert if it has writing on it i generally use white, if its solid then i like to color match. Only use non ghosting it's worth the extra few bucks, stay away from yellows from Comet or Coin Taker you're better off using warm white. Comet makes a bright orange, I was a Coin Taker guy but Comet has caught up and is every bit as good and 30% cheaper. I like to use 4 leds in the backbox, frosted twins on the playfield and 1 smd clear dome non ghosting in the inserts.

#10 5 years ago

Some great advice in here!

Quoted from Ed209:

I usually color match but tend to use warm white for yellows and oranges.

I usually color match, and use warm white for yellows, and yellows for oranges.

Quoted from CoPinfan:

I think it depends on the game.

Agree. More often I use Natural White (which some call Cool White) on white inserts, but some games I've used Warm White (like LOTR and FT).

Quoted from Ed209:

Highly recomned getting an OCD board if you’re swapping over for smoothing and ghosting.

The improvement is most noticeable in games that do a lot of fading effects with the inserts during gameplay. Mid-2000s Sterns are the worst...most notably TSPP and LOTR.

Quoted from Fifty:

For orange use a pink LED. The orange insert filters out the pink light and creates a perfect orange glow.

That is a pro tip right there! I'll have to try it out myself.

Quoted from dothedoo:

Blue can have different possibilities so you have to experiment.

Personally I think blue is the biggest upgrade of any color. An incandescent under a blue insert is just pale and lifeless. A blue LED makes it strong and bold.

Quoted from gmkalos:

It depends on the insert if it has writing on it i generally use white, if its solid then i like to color match.

I used mostly natural white and warm white in the inserts of our Tron kit for this reason. They came out a little pastel looking, but it really works, and it doesn't turn the white insert lettering into a different color.

Quoted from gmkalos:

stay away from yellows from Comet or Coin Taker you're better off using warm white

Totally agree. Yellow is really more orange. And orange is like a dark orange. I never use yellows for yellow inserts, but I often use them for orange inserts.

Lots of great advice and suggestions in this thread! Ultimately, it comes down to personal taste, and you can always order a bunch of different stuff and play around. If you buy some different types of bulbs from us at Comet, you can send us back the ones you don't end up using and we'll happily refund you.

#11 5 years ago

Well you guys are killing it with the large selection of leds, uv's, frosted strips and my fav the Ice Blues! Keep up the awesomeness and I cant wait to see the cobbs get into fruition! More colors would be killer like lime green or hot pink!

1 week later
    #12 5 years ago

Thanks to all who responded. I made my first ever LED order yesterday. Comet tells me they should be here on Thursday. I'm anxious to try pink LEDs under an orange insert.

#13 5 years ago

Can't wait to see how the game turns out! Let us know (and send pics ).

2 months later
    #14 5 years ago

I forgot about this post I started. I want to thank everybody for their suggestions. You all really helped a lot.

For the GI I used the warm white. For the green, red, and pink I used color matching. For yellow I used the warm white. And for the orange, I used pink as was suggested; That worked nicely.

For the white inserts I used warm white and I will be changing this soon.

For the white inserts that are in the bingo cards and the spinner lane I struggled with what color to use. I finally decided on natural white of the
    2-SMD variety. I liked how this turned out so well that I will be changing all of my white insets over to cool white.

I did not have much luck with getting pics of the bingo card lights without the glare. This first picture show the "B" and "I" lit up with warm white. Compared to the cool white in the bingo cards the other white inserts look stained and dingy. I am amazed at how white the cool white LEDs make the inserts in the bingo look. They pop ! I think I am going to try the natural white in my pops, as well.

IMG_7444 (resized).JPGIMG_7444 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7403 (resized).JPGIMG_7403 (resized).JPG

#15 5 years ago

Glad it worked out. Comet LEDs are the best.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-leds-to-use-for-inserts-lights?hl=copinfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.