You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FT3 new.jpg
FT2 new.jpg
FT1 old.JPG
#1 9 years ago

It seems like the market is ever changing when it comes to LED's. So I figured it would be wise to ask all of you who have upgraded their machines to LED. I wish to buy them for my Fish Tales backbox. Have heard of the "ghosting" problem associated with some bulbs, but it does not seem like that would be a real issue with the backbox. Can you point me in the right direction as to whom and what type to purchase. Have some worked/looked/held up better then others? I have priced several variations from 2 different retailers and am really curious who you all buy from and what type. Thanks

#2 9 years ago

http://www.cometpinball.com/

Best selection, prices, quality and customer service.

For the backbox try a warm, cool or daylight frosted.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

http://www.cometpinball.com/
Best selection, prices, quality and customer service.
For the backbox try a warm, cool or daylight frosted.

I buy mine from Comet Pinball as well. Just finished the playfield on my Genesis. Did the whole thing for around $30 that's with whites, pinks, and 14 flashers.

#4 9 years ago

I put cointaker frosted cool white LEDs in my FT backbox. I think it looks great. They're having a 25% off Labor Day sale. Do a search they have a thread on pinside about it.

#5 9 years ago

Whichever you get make sure you turn the power saver feature off or the LEDs will flicker when it turns on

#6 9 years ago

I like Comet right now as well, especially for a general use frosted non-ghosting.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Whichever you get make sure you turn the power saver feature off or the LEDs will flicker when it turns on

Some games you cant tell I keep it on and mine and it doesn't bother me or anyone that playes

#8 9 years ago

Anyone try the Comets kit for any pin and put your specific in the comment box, if so did you get good results? $99 is the best price I've seen so far.

#9 9 years ago

Yep ive used comets 99.00 kit and works great and if you know what your type of bases your game uses he will substitute whatever base you need just have to let him know

#10 9 years ago

I agree, Comet has great selection and pricing. Art will take care of you...

#11 9 years ago

PinballBulbs.com

#12 9 years ago

I've done multiple machines with Cointaker and was always happy. Most recent purchase was my first order through pinball bulbs (they were cheaper than CT) and the bulbs didn't fit in my WH2O playfield. That was about a year ago though. Kind of turned me off to the whole led thing. Now the machine has PB LEDs for the inserts and original bulbs for the GI.

PB refunded money for the bulbs I sent back with no hassle. I didn't feel like removing all the ones that fit under the inserts.

#13 9 years ago

Comet warm white photo comparison here if interested: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/photo-comparison-comet-led-warm-white-options

Have used Cointaker in the past, but think I am a Comet buyer now.

#14 9 years ago

I recently switched over to warm white frosted in my FT for more of a retro look. Whatever you choose I'd recommend you do not fill every 555 slot, it can get blindingly bright. Think I have somewhere between 1/2 and 1/3 filled to make it look normal.

#15 9 years ago

I have used Cointaker on all of my pins, Melissa has been great to work with.

#16 9 years ago

Wow. I am glad I asked. Tons of different answers and opinions out there. This is one of those instances where I just don't know what to buy as there seems to be way too many options when it comes to the LED possibilities. Number of LED's per bulb, frosted/non frosted...etc.

MMP........was that referring to your backbox? Do you happen to have a picture you could share of it if so.

Thanks for all the responses. Mike

#17 9 years ago

I mainly noticed how bright FT was when I took pictures- here is an old pic to show how it looked originally, a bit too bright.

Looks like I haven't finished with the warm white yet, but you can see from the 2 I have in there the difference in the bolder yellow of the fish. That's the look I am going for without adding colored LEDs. Not a fan of that generally, but can look ok when color is used sparingly.

The 2 odd wires are there to light up my topper. I have an issue with that GI that I haven't sorted out yet, so ignore those. I got some LED strips from Comet - Art has a great variety but it can be confusing if you're new to ordering LEDs.

FT1 old.JPGFT1 old.JPG
FT2 new.jpgFT2 new.jpg
FT3 new.jpgFT3 new.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 169.00
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Minneapolis, MN
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-leds-should-i-buy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.