(Topic ID: 127205)

Which is worth more - your stock portfolio or your pins?

By ShaunoftheDead

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 185 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MK6PIN
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which is worth more - your stocks or pins?”

• Pins! 37 votes
      19%
    • Stocks! 135 votes
      68%
    • What is this stock thing, and how do I play it? 16 votes
      8%
    • All my disposable income goes to bills and pinball!!! 12 votes
      6%

(200 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

th-1.jpeg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    second-great-depression.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20150424_074219.jpg
    2003-Present.jpg
    image.jpg

There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 4 years ago

Definitely stocks.....but not by as much as it should be. I got a VERY late start. I knew all about compounding interest but had no extra money to put into the market when I was younger. So now I'm going to have to shovel it in just to try and hit my mark......plus no early retirement. (well maybe a couple years early if I'm lucky)

Luckily things are looking up on the job front (self employed) and last year I finally started up a SEP IRA (index investing is the plan for the foreseeable). I did put what I could in my ROTH account for a number of years but ROTH's are very limited in how much you could put in.

#152 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I count 24 years where the stock market made 0% or lost money

This chart is misleading as it ends in 2008. It has grown every year since then.

#153 4 years ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

This chart is misleading as it ends in 2008. It has grown every year since then.

Good point, and that makes investing in the present day (2015) a little more scary if you watch long term historical trends.

#154 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Has anyone ever dabbled on the Hollywood Stock Exchange?

Yessir. I am ranked in the top 93%. Net worth of $211,512,663.51 at the moment. Really wish it was real money though.

But with my real money, I started with $500 back in 2007. Then the stocked did terrible. And now I have about $3200 from my $500 seed. Slowly working my way up. It's doubled in just the past year and a half.

#155 4 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

What ever makes you comfortable.

Right now I am sitting in a desk chair wondering how to spend the rest of this beautiful day off in sunny So Cal with no mortgage payment to worry about and only two more work days this week until my next three day weekend.

That is comforting to me!

Time to go outside!

#156 4 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

I do think that some of the folks on here have expectations far outside of reality.
    Saving is all well and good, but many of us so called privleged few graduate college with what?
    A car we have shoe stringed to keep running for 4 - 6 years.
    40-80k worth of student loans
    0 in the bank
    It is all well and dandy to save, pay this off, save for this. What about, living? I could have my loans paid off in 2 years, if I drove that shoe string car, never went out, live in the tiniest apt available, etc etc. Is it worth it? No.

Hell yaa....live in the now man...!!!............Joey

#157 4 years ago

There is only one thing worse than dying, and thats outliving your money.

#158 4 years ago

and if you kept buying stocks through the end of 2008 and 2009 at their deep discounted prices and you picked good stocks, you would of made hundreds of thousands of $$$ - at least that what I did

If you made hundreds of thousands...why in the world is your wish-list so long...???...............Joey

#159 4 years ago

Before I go outside I will add that last night we had dinner here. I recommend the veal and caesar salad.

th-1.jpeg

#160 4 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

If you made hundreds of thousands...why in the world is your wish-list so long...???...............Joey

I assume he is talking about a 401k, which is untouchable without penalties until you are older.

#161 4 years ago

Whats a portfolio?

#162 4 years ago
    Quoted from mario_1_up:

Whats a portfolio?

It's what you get when you stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

#163 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballNewb:

I assume he is talking about a 401k, which is untouchable without penalties until you are older.

Ahh....thank you....this is a VERY debatable topic....for me...I would rather have fun in the younger years and suffer in the older years...I'm guaranteed this second.....the next one you never know..........Joey

#164 4 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Wants vs. needs my friend ....
    The 4 I have are plenty for me at the moment.

#165 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Right now I am sitting in a desk chair wondering how to spend the rest of this beautiful day off in sunny So Cal with no mortgage payment to worry about and only two more work days this week until my next three day weekend.
    That is comforting to me!
    Time to go outside!

It's not today I am concerned about ......

#166 4 years ago
    #167 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

"Fill your cup, and drink it on up, cause tomorrow never comes"
    » YouTube video

We are just going to have to agree to disagree.

I am a saver at heat. It makes me sleep better at night knowing I don't have financial problems nor will I in the future.

If tomorrow never comes for me, at least I know my family is taken care of.

Peace my brother.... Enjoy the day.

#168 4 years ago
    #169 4 years ago

The company I work for is pretty good. Being in the medical field, I make pretty good money. Aside from our salary, my position gets a guaranteed quarterly bonus, an end of the year bonus and 2 week pay Christmas bonus. The company is also private and not publically traded. They currently only match 3 percent of our 401k but i put in the max which is 10%. They also give us a bonus of stock each year....its been averaging around 9% of our salary. Not too bad getting over 25k of stock every year!

#170 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Sorry to disagree but age does matter
    Age determines you are eligible for Medicare, Social Security and also matters if you can expect to live another 50 years (if you are 40 now) or another 20 years if you are 70 now. Plus the buying power of money decays with time, so if a gallon of milk costs $3 today it could cost $9/gal in 40 years thus planning for many decades in the future is more difficult than planning for 10-20 years. You will have old age related expenses in both cases, the the main difference is the amount of time your saving needs to last as well as more expenses as a younger more active person plus health care expenses when you don't qualify for old age assistance.
    Younger people are more active, probably can travel more, could still have life events like more children which older people don't necessarly need to factor in.

Well, looks like you got it all figured out.

See you on the beach in five years.

#171 4 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Well, looks like you got it all figured out.
    See you on the beach in five years.

I'm a super saver. Also when I go on vacation I pack way too much, I own a thousand books 'to be read' at some point. I may be pathologic in some way, but I think saving is not the worst thing to go over board with.

I've owned an expensive car see my avatar pic, M3 was great, but in the back of my mind I always thought I could have got by as well with half the car and had more money to save/invest.

In any case, I figure I could retire in 5 years (I'm almost 50) but I will likely work until I'm 60-62 just to make sure I have more than enough.

Good luck to all on this thread, don't get discouraged if you don't have a lot saved most people start small and gradually accumulate more. I'd say even if you are only saving $200 or $400 a month, it's better than nothing.

All journey start with a first step.

#172 4 years ago
    #173 4 years ago

We are just going to have to agree to disagree.
    I am a saver at heat. It makes me sleep better at night knowing I don't have financial problems nor will I in the future.

I don't know how you can sleep better at night--EVER--living in Baltimore.

#174 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballNewb:

if you had a $100k house in 1997 that is now worth $350k in 2015

I put a lot of money into a house thinking it was "your best investment." Hardly. We owned it for fifteen years, and we lost something like 20% on it. That was one a heck of a hit. Imagine how much more money we could have had by investing the same amount in stocks and bonds over that period. Actually, I don't want to think about it. It's just too depressing.

It can work out beautifully if you are in a strong market and are in perfect control of your circumstances (e.g., when you have to move), but if not, a house can prove to be a terrible investment.

#175 4 years ago

The price of renting keeps on going up. I am glad I am no longer a renter as your living situation is never under your control except for moving out. Then you just have to find another landlord to line his pockets.

Buying and paying off my house was the best investment I ever made. The resale value has gone up and then it has gone down and then back up. But none of that matters because I have a place to live and I answer to nobody.

#176 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

But none of that matters because I have a place to live and I answer to nobody.

Yes, if you're staying put, it's almost entirely positive.

#177 4 years ago
    #178 4 years ago

As an Entrepreneur, I've invested the most in something I can control (to a degree)..my Company.

I'm definitely into planning and saving (only dabble in the market), however, never forget my most important asset...my family!!! Things are in place if something happens to me so they are pretty set.

With that said, I'm very much into investing into "legacy" related events (family trips/ events, college for the kids, TIME spent with them, etc.). Confident this approach will far outlast any money that may be left after I die.....

Find it amusing that Investment Companies still go door to door, pedaling their goods (oh wait, they need your money first!!).

Have enough to not worry? not a chance...If you or a Family member get seriously ill (as most of us will encounter, sadly)...BAM gone...seen it happen many times

Live/ Save smart, but don't save your money for the government to swallow up in the end...

(off my soapbox)......mark

#179 4 years ago

Oh....my Pins are strictly my Hobby, have far more tied up in other stuff.....

#180 4 years ago

I can't wait to pay off my house

It's all I think about

Other than bacon, titties & pinball of course

That's PW79's financial advice lol

#181 4 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

It's all I think about
    Other than bacon, titties & pinball of course
    That's PW79's financial advice lol

And good advise, that is!!!!

#182 4 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

There is only one thing worse than dying, and thats outliving your money.

I agree. Running out of money is a tragedy. Anything left over is posterity. To whom do we leave out pinball machines? I can answer that.

#183 4 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

It's all I think about

Just not sure you can ever really "pay it off"...forget the property taxes, even w/ zero mortgage, and watch what shows up in the local paper for sale!!!!

#184 4 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Just not sure you can ever really "pay it off"...forget the property taxes, even w/ zero mortgage, and watch what shows up in the local paper for sale!!!!

Yeah, but in my retirement utopia there are low fee index funds w/8% ROI's where I only draw 3.5% to cover all my expenses & excursions while the other 4.5% is reinvested to offset inflation & corrections.

I've got it all figured out.... Just need money lol

#185 4 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Yeah, but in my retirement utopia there are low fee index funds w/8% ROI's where I only draw 3.5% to cover all my expenses & excursions while the other 4.5% is reinvested to offset inflation & corrections.
    I've got it all figured out.... Just need money lol

Ahhhh....a plan...like!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    £ 39.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 3.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 55.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 99.00
    Hardware
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 9,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 79.00
    $ 66.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 4.00
    Electronics
    Z-connector (24 pin) Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside