Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which Pinball is more innovative? NOT which is better”

• Wonka 16 votes
    20%
  • Dialed In 64 votes
    80%

(80 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vyzer2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 5 years ago

I don’t even think it’s close. You said it all in your first post.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Everything in Dialed In feel's like it part of that world and is something that the player can interact with. There's 3 miniature drones that each rotate, there's the quantum theater toy that interacts with the ball in multiple modes, the large molded physical ball lock representing station 3 from the theme, the quantum mechanic which mom jeans or not is incorporated extremely well and is used in several modes. There's the QUED moving electric toy that is used to charge the phone and then can be hit extra times to "super charge" the phone to increase scoring. The magnets in the game are tied directly to specific modes such as the EMP mode. I would say that the phone toy itself is very innovative as it's not just a mini LCD display that shows mode information. The phone features multiple custom animations from characters within the theme that interact with the player during modes and there's multiple character animations for each Disaster Mode. Finally the art, sounds, and music are all custom, all original and tie perfectly together with the theme. No compromises had to be made, no movie clips playing that are stuck on loop throughout a mode and and where audio from the scenes is missing.
Besides the mini LCD all of the features in Dialed In are miniature items from that world. When I look at Wonka and see the giant spinning Gobstopper I can't help to think "what does this do for me as a player"? Honestly, nothing. I have the Hobbit which features a toy that doesn't interact with the ball, Smaug but at the same time Smaug interacts with the player throughout the game. A giant spinning Gobstopper toy does not.
From a code perspective everything in the game is tied together extremely well and there's multiple mini wizard modes to go after. Two of the most innovative code elements to Dialed In are the "Big Bang" shot and the "SIM" card feature. If you light big bang hitting in during any mode collects all shots on the playfield, that's cool. The SIM card feature extends the life to modes as it gives the player something else to go after and collect after modes are completed. Finally each are tied together as you can light Big Bang, hit it during a mode, and then immediately have the SIM card shot lit. Want to play a game and just attempt modes to go after a wizard mode? There's a mini wizard mode for that. Want to go after completing modes and collecting SIM cards to spell "Dialed In" (one for each letter) to light the games super wizard mode? There's a wizard mode for that as well. I don't see that same level of depth or a reward system such as the SIM card feature being offered in Wonka currently.
As an entire package I think Dialed In is the far more innovative game on every level and I say that thinking Wonka looks cool. Dialed In to me is truly 90's pinball with modern technology, and modern code that is used in innovative ways.

Excellent summary

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 32.99
$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 22.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.00
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Hampshire, IL
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vyzer2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-is-more-innovative-wonka-or-dialed-in?tu=vyzer2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.