(Topic ID: 172646)

Which is more important: Code or Design?

By TKDalumni

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Pimp77
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20161104_003835 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flashinstinct.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 7 years ago

This is almost like what came before?... the chicken or the egg kinda of question. It takes good design and great code. It takes two to tango. If we take GB for example, the design really made the first impression and boosted sales even before a first code update. Even with code 1.10's poor reception, people are still buying in droves. Mind you design can only bring you so far. Eventually strong code has to be implemented to complement the machine or else the games turn into polished turds. Design is more important for operators because they want people to step up to the machine. For the collectors, code becomes more important as time goes by.

You can't have one without the other.
    GOT Pro for example, suffers from poor graphical design, that backglass is absolutely horrible not to mention the look of the playfield. It was overall a miss. While code is good, I only played it once on location. I can't stare at it without feeling let down. in other words sales would have been better if the theme would have been darker and more in line with the look and feel of the show.

1. Design
    2. Code

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

You're confusing art for design. GB has terrible design (flipper gap, droopy flippers, tight shots, airballs, drops too close, ramps that don't work right, Slimers that don't register) but fantastic art. GOT has an uninspired bit pretty good design - it's a fast and flowy Steve Ritchie game....but terrible art.

ah yes. The only thing I really hate about GB is the drop targets but mind you once you get the hang of it it becomes more of a challenge than a nuissance. Airballs definitely bad. Apart from that I get a kick out of it. And that flipper gap must be the best thing that has happen . I've learned to really nudge the game now and has made me a better player overall. Especially on other games with the regular gap, I tend to drain alot lesss now.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flashinstinct.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-is-more-important-code-or-design?tu=flashinstinct and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.