(Topic ID: 314827)

Which is more enjoyable: Stern JP or MM

By KornFreak28

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20211228_222849 (resized).jpg
    20220428_230858 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KornFreak28.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I’m on the list for the new batch of CGC MM’s coming next year but JP looks like a lot of fun too! Never played JP before so looking for opinions on which one would be the best choice? Which is more fun? Which is a better family pin? Thanks!

#4 1 year ago

Interesting points….

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from gorditas:

JP was my second pin, and I thought it was a long term keeper. But when I had the opportunity to trade it towards an Indy + cash (where are my planes?! Kidding) I let it go. Part of it was to get a grail pin, but another part was what has already been mentioned. It can be a difficult, frustrating game. Guests and my kids played a game or two and moved on. I had moments of greatness, punctuated by bricks and drains.
    MMR, on the other hand, is chosen as the favorite almost universally by guests after trying all my games. These aren't pinball snobs, influenced by the "top 100 list," but are typically brand new or decades-past players. I still get a kick out of it myself, and it would be the last I'd get rid of. I played 3 games on it tonight, in fact.
    That being said, wait on NIB. Current prices on used MMR's are insane. Maybe that is the key: pick up a used JP Pro and play it until MMR hits the line again.

LOL on the planes!

Great info from someone who owned both! I thought the moving Dino would draw my daughters towards JP since they love dinosaurs but the tight shot talk is kinda putting things into perspective.

Do you find MM to be one of those “one more game” pins?

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

When you’re added to a list for MMr, when are you required to make a cash deposit ?

No, although At some point there will be some sort of deposit….

#15 1 year ago

Thanks for the responses so far!

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

Three quick questions. 1.When you’re added to a list for MMr, when are you required to make a cash deposit ? 2. Does CGC, use the list from the Distributors to determine how many games they’ll produce ? 3. Or do they just announce a random number ,and that’s all they make ?

I’m honestly not entirely sure you know. I know distributors are taking names but not sure how many they will make or how many they will make. Talk to your local distro. They should give you a better answer.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from Thomas3184:

Where did you get on a list for MMr? Do you know if MBr or AFMr is being rerun too?

Any distro will take your name, I think

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from Onwallst:

They are both great! Very different. JP is a very deep ruled game with a lot of long shots. Mm is the best Williams Bally game ever made. The gold standard. I am not a huge fan of all the remakes on build quality but I would stick with the mmr as this is the last run. Jp still sells out. Will be around for a few more years but mmr will not. I had a stern jp LE that I sold due to playfield issues after it was replace. Big mistake. I recently got a premium and it is a lot of fun again. MM has the old Williams Bally comedy. Tina Fey does some voices.

Can you specify why playfield issues were those?

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from NoSkills:

I’d say it depends on how good a player you are, how much you play and how important the family playing aspect is.
    If you are a decent player, want to get better or play everyday but have a small collection JP is the way to go imo.
    If you only play a few times a week and aren’t a great player JP will probably be more frustrating than fun. MM will be fun and won’t get old too quick if you’re not playing it every day.
    If the family aspect is most important to you and assuming family are casual players MM will be more fun for most in that area. Saying that my mum is a very casual player and JP is her favourite game even though she’s never got past a second paddock. She plays maybe once a month so I think the frustration of not progressing doesn’t really bother her, she just likes the game!
    Personally I like JP for home and MM for location play. That’s not because I’m an awesome player but I play everyday and I think I’d tire of MM fairly quickly in my small collection. MM was my favourite machine when I got into the hobby and I wanted one for my first machine but I couldn’t get one so ended up with what was available, which was a JP. Now I’ve played a lot more pinball I don’t think I’ll end up getting a MM unless my collection gets very large which I don’t plan on. I still love to play a nice MM on location though!

Great info!

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from The_Pump_House:

I know many would disagree but IMHO Indy is the best WPC of them all. Perhaps the best pin ever. It hits at just the right mode complexity and shots for me. I never get tired of the POA.

I agree! I also love who they designed the captive ball with the single drop target!

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from gorditas:

I still find it personally to be a "one more game" pin, but I also use it as my warm up game on the wall with 3 pins. (I travel for work, so when I'm home for a couple of nights I alternate which wall to play.) In addition to that, it is my "easy to play and understand" game for gusts. I only have room for 5, so I need to love each game to justify the spot. MM has the best combo I've found of being easy to understand, funny, yet difficult to see or complete every mode. For instance, Trolls can have brutal drains if you don't plan the shots, but it doesn't take 8 brutal shots to get to the mode. A relative newbie can see the trolls, but usually doesn't complete them. If you only had one or two pins, would you get bored with it? Possibly. But even when I only had JP Pro and the Munsters (how is that for extremes of difficulty) it was still nice to have one game that young/new players could really enjoy.
    I think you have at least a year before getting a new MMR. Pick up a used JP (I honestly think the pro is the best bang for the buck in pinball) and play the heck out of it. If you are then hitting the max number of machines, decide which machine in your collection is your least favorite. JP might stay. If I didn't have Star Wars and AIQ, it would have stayed in my collection. I let AIQ go for Wonka a couple of months later.
    I think part of the challenge of this comparison is that the games are night and day different in nearly every category. It's kind of like, "should I get a sports car, or a boat?" They are both fun, yet modes of transportation, can be enjoyed by friends, etc... If you can park your sports car at the lakehouse, go for it![quoted image]

Nice area for those pins! But….Where’s Indy?

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from NPO:

After you play JP a bunch, you will be AMAZED at how much better you are at other games. Even BSD is easier now.

Tougher than BSD huh? Gheezzz!

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Fun is subjective. If your idea of fun is just to slap the ball around and watch the crazy things happen in the game, then MM is the choice. If your idea of fun is advancing in the game through a variety of rules and discovering points and objectives hidden in the game, then JP is the answer.
    Family pin is also subjective. The clear cut winner is MM when people think of "family", but I can see kids loving dinosaurs too, so that should be considered.
    You're looking at two great pins. You won't lose with whatever you pick.

I do like pins that have goals and stuff to “get” like IJ (which is my favorite of all time) I like missions and timed shots. I have played MM here and there at location and I honestly thought (never got that deep into it) from looking at videos and talking to people that it was a fairly decent challenging game yo navigate through all the modes. But you guys are making it sound as if MM is just a fun “just slap the ball” game. Is that really so?

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Pretty much. JP is designed to challenge the serious player. Deep code is great for home environment but I find it frustrating when only the most skilled player can see the majority of code.

I can relate to that. Metallica had some deep rules and it was very challenging. Needless to say I never made it nowhere near close the end.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from gorditas:

Indy is lonely at the moment. I sold Batman to make room and free up cash for Toy Story.[quoted image]

When is toy story getting released?

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well MM/AFM don't really have modes so you might factor that in as well.

What about the different kingdoms you got to destroy?

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

MM is a classic for a reason. And perhaps the best pin ever created.
    JP is great, but i definitely prefer MM.

I might sell my Diner to finance this. Want it?

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

MET easy compared to JP imo. I've been able to get deep on MET more than a few times and even got to final wizard mode once. Only got to visitor center once on JP and not much else. Paddocks get very difficult after the first few. I found the control room modes very difficult as well.

Damn! I remember MET being so difficult it would stress the shit out of me….

#53 1 year ago

Does the moving Dino really justify the extra expense? Does it give a good show or rarely moves?

#62 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jenk540i:

Have both. Love both. Even have a JP in 2 houses. But if I could only keep 1 for me it would be MM. That game doesn’t get old.

That’s a great plan isn’t?

#65 1 year ago
    Quoted from RTS:

I think the moving Dino is worth the upgrade over a pro. I added the aftermarket dino mod. It looks great.
    MM is more approachable, and easier to play. It's a lot of fun and great humor, but it does get old.
    In a home environment, JP is gonna offer more to discover. It's really fun.
    You should add a poll.

Who makes the after market dino?

#70 1 year ago

I wonder if there’s a JP in the Houston area….

#73 1 year ago
    Quoted from gorditas:

I think Joystix had one last time I was there on a work trip.

Great! Thanks bro! I have a trip to H-Town in less than a month….

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

Unpopular opinion here, but if you grew up with B/W you will prefer B/W. If all you’ve known is stern, you will prefer stern. I grew up in the middle of the downfall. I appreciate both for what they are.

I have owned all of them. BW, Sterns, JJP, DE and even Gottliebs! All are great

#76 1 year ago

Does JP come with the playfield handles? I remember my MET didn’t and I hated that about Stern

#79 1 year ago

Thanks to all that contributed to this thread!

#83 1 year ago
    Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

What do you want?
    Something that is easy to grasp from the first flip?
    Something that will offer years of challenge and exploration?
    Something in between?
    Is this game for you? Are you sharing with family and friends?
    Do your plans include putting games on location?
    Do you like a TV in your backbox? Are you good with dmd (like) displays?
    These are two excellent designs. But they offer different experiences.
    Play them both. Experience both. If you have a friend who has one (or both), consider renting or temporary trading them and then make your decision.
    Financially, you won't lose with either game. So buying one and changing your mind later will not be an issue. You can trade/buy either one easily.
    Of course, the real pin-addict's answer is both.

Good input! Unfortunately budget (wife) only allows for one

#84 1 year ago

So you guys think the PRO is better than the Premium???

#92 1 year ago
    Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

Least expensive option for one both.
    Used.
    JP pro
    Mm standard or an older Williams game.
    Personally, I have never bought a pinball game NIB.
    Happy hunting!

Thanks bro!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KornFreak28.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-is-more-enjoyable-stern-jp-or-mm?tu=KornFreak28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.