(Topic ID: 221483)

Which is less likely to break? AFMre or MMre?

By SantaEatsCheese

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which machine is more durable, less likely to break and/or have mechanical issues?”

• Attack From Mars Remake (SE) 18 votes
    86%
  • Medieval Madness Remake 3 votes
    14%

(21 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D3D55CE6-6275-4B6A-B1F2-5F9D2AFF9BBF (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

Still trying to decide between the machines. I've found 3 Medieval Madness remakes in arcades in my area. Every one had something wrong with them, broken draw bridge, gate that won't open, troll that won't pop up. I've only found 1 Attack from Mars Remake near me, but it worked perfectly. I don't see as many moving parts on it, and am assuming it is less likely to break. However, my experience may be a fluke based off of my location (DC metro). What is your experience with maintenance on these machines. Which one is more durable? I'm trying to decide between a MMre and AFMre SE for my first pin. Please answer poll and if you have any positive/negative insights please let me know.

#2 5 years ago

I'd get the game you like more.....these machines on route take more of a beating than they will in home use setting. Games will develop issues now and then...neither is immune. I like AFM more...so I'd go with that one

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Still trying to decide between the machines. I've found 3 Medieval Madness remakes in arcades in my area. Every one had something wrong with them, broken draw bridge, gate that won't open, troll that won't pop up. I've only found 1 Attack from Mars Remake near me, but it worked perfectly. I don't see as many moving parts on it, and am assuming it is less likely to break. However, my experience may be a fluke based off of my location (DC metro). What is your experience with maintenance on these machines. Which one is more durable? I'm trying to decide between a MMre and AFMre SE for my first pin. Please answer poll and if you have any positive/negative insights please let me know.

Do more games break in DC metro? I never knew that.

#4 5 years ago

Every machine breaks. Also, no matter what game you buy, it can end up being a maintenance nightmare. Get the game you want. Then when something breaks, fix it.

#5 5 years ago

I've had both of the originals in my house for years. The remakes are mechanically identical, so I think my experience with them might be helpful. In my home environment, my MM has required more tweaking than the AFM, only due to the trolls. Occasionally I've had to tweak the troll switches to optimize sensitivity and sometimes tighten the plastic troll head that the ball strikes. That's pretty much it, and in my mind, a non-factor in choosing between the two, as adjusting the switches on the trolls are pretty simple, as is tightening the troll heads.

As you noted, the drawbridge and gate on routed MM's are often beat, but in a home use environment, you really don't have to worry about that, at least I haven't in 10 years of HUO play. You will want to protect the MM's Merlin saucer and the wood edge in front of the castle with Mantis and/or Cliffy protectors, but likewise, you'll want to protect the Stroke of Luck opening on the AFM as well.

These are both great games. AFM is mechanically simpler than MM, but in a HUO environment, I don't think this is much of a concern. You really can't go wrong with either game.

#6 5 years ago

AFM has more conventional mechanics, plus it's the newer game so they've had more chance to work out any kinks in their board design

#7 5 years ago

Neither is likely to break since they are new games but the trolls on MM are the most likely mechanical failure IMO. I also really don't like that on MMr they put driver transistors mounted under the playfield. In AFM they moved them to a board in the backbox which I like better. that being said, there are MMr's on location that have survived a lot of plays with little to no failures of electrical components. Also the first AFMr I saw on location had a trough opto problem and probably had less than 1000 plays on it so as with pinball, you will have to fix something at some point. Pick whatever game you like better and if you aren't sure which one you like better, go play them on location if you can.

#8 5 years ago

I've had my MMr LE for about 2 years. I only had to adjust some things out of the box when I got it. And the troll hit switches once so far.

Had similar issues with every game I've had.
Stuff breaks, that's pinball.

#9 5 years ago

Afm is an easier game to maintain than MM.

#10 5 years ago

If you are thinking a new game will not develop issues, you shouldn't be buying one. A newer machine is less likely to have board issues, but switches go out of adjustment, wires break off, and things happen.You either have deep pockets and pay a tech to maintain it or you learn how to repair it yourself.

#11 5 years ago

One operator has 25,700+ plays on AFM remake already.

Post 5421 of AFM remake thread
D3D55CE6-6275-4B6A-B1F2-5F9D2AFF9BBF (resized).jpegD3D55CE6-6275-4B6A-B1F2-5F9D2AFF9BBF (resized).jpeg

#12 5 years ago

I have 1,800 plays on my MMR since I got it back in November 2017 and the only thing I had to tweak was the spring on one of my trolls. Took 10 min. Like everyone has stated, get the game you want the most. Don't worry about things breaking. They all break but are fixable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 26.50
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-is-less-likely-to-break-afmre-or-mmre?hl=ausretrogamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.