Linked Games

Topic poll

“wich is better twilight zone or lord of the rings”

• lord of the ring 62 votes
    47%
  • twilight zone 70 votes
    53%

(132 votes)

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago

Got both, and will keep both for a good reason - both are great games but play very differently. TZ has less complicated shots than LOTR, and the rules are straight forward so you can aim for LITZ every game. Throw in some Power Battles and Powerball pay off's, and you have a tough but achievable game. LOTR has a greater variety of shots and achievements so more adventure heading towards Destroy the ring. The ring modes are difficult to complete, the 3 multiballs also take great control and skill to finish, and as said, ball times are longer. Doesn't matter who makes what, both are great machines, and you can't go wrong whichever you choose.

#52 8 years ago

OK, Take it from a great player...
They both are great machines....
But Twilight Zone is the winner here...
You have twilight zone the show from "1959-64" series, with all the sounds.
With over 150 show's connected to the pinball machine,
A lot of the show's are intertwined within the pinball machine..
LOTR, is a great machine, but no where near where TZ's machine IMHO..
TZ has a powerball, a gumball machine, a magnet upper playfield..
And many other strategy ways to play the game...

#53 8 years ago

I've always admired TZ with all of its bells and whistles, but no matter how many times I play it, I just always feel like you're launching the ball into an amusement park and watching it bounce around things, whereas LOTR feels like I'm in control of this epic journey. I also prefer standard width to a widebody all day long.

#54 8 years ago

Like them both but LOTR is the one I kept. Haven't regretted that decision.

#55 8 years ago

I have both in my collection right now and I have to say it's hard to choose. If you're used to newer Sterns it's going to seem dark. Kids don't relate to the theme at all. But it's a kick to play. Lots of modes. Lots of unique shots. The rules aren't so much deep as wide, but never gets old. Never had a problem keeping it up and going once I got it dialed in.

LOTR can have LOOONG ball times. It's more about progression and doesn't always feel satisfying if you don't get very far. But the rules save it. Destroy the ring. There and back again. If you can commit to a long game, it's a good time. Good theme.

If you're into shots, I'd pick TZ. If you're in to deep progressive rules I'd go LOTR.

#56 8 years ago

LOTR in my opinion. I've owned 2 LOTR and 1 TZ. Couldn't get rid of TZ fast enough. I'm praying for a LOTR vault so I can have one back in my collection.

#57 8 years ago

Honest opinion. TZ is a great W/B game, probably one of the best but it is shallow compared to LOTR. LOTR is a great game and has great depth. The problem is that I was never good enough to get any further than TABA. The difference is the quality of games. TZ is a W/B game and in my opinion is high quality whereas Stern is a much cheaper made game.

#58 8 years ago

It all boils down to what you like in theme and gameplay.

Whichever you choose, if you don't like it you could easily sell or trade it for the other.

#59 8 years ago

These are two of the greatest machines ever built. My comment would be that TZ is bluer, and LOTR is browner.

#60 8 years ago

I read a lot of these type of threads that are put out. Being new to pinball, I used to feel that I could get a better understanding what games are better by someone telling me what they thought. Truth is, you have haters for everything and trolls that are only trying to provoke responses and incite fights.

Here is my suggestion...obviously you have played them both. You like them both or you would not pose the question which to buy. This is where it gets tricky...choose the one that YOU like more and get that one!

My opinion for what it's worth...LOTR is still newish and will drop in price. TZ is a staple in the market and until introduction of a TZR, if you can get a good condition unit it should hold value. Me? I love TZ and would go that route. Then try buy LOTR when market cools and some one wants to sell a good condition game to buy the next big name...but that's just another useless opinion right?

#61 8 years ago

Market won't cool on LOTR's. It's not that new. And with new pins costing 9k, the classics that cost around 5-7k will hold their value or go up.

#62 8 years ago

Very hard choice. I love them, had both and regret both. Some elements:

- If maintenance is an issue for you, pick LOTR. TZ is complex... for better or worse!
- Single widebody in your lineup ? => pick TZ. Waaaaay better than JD
- Theme is important ? I would pick LOTR. My kid loved it (that's the only pin he played in my lineup)
- you need to move pins once in a while ? (I do! This may not be a general case, but I bring them to tourneys, etc. Unsurprisingly, TZ was not moving often.. too heavy) => pick LOTR
- LOTR is more immersive than TZ. Multiballs are great.
- TZ is more about sharpening your aiming skills. Mistakes are often fatal.

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I've always admired TZ with all of its bells and whistles, but no matter how many times I play it, I just always feel like you're launching the ball into an amusement park and watching it bounce around things, whereas LOTR feels like I'm in control of this epic journey. I also prefer standard width to a widebody all day long.

This is part of the greatness of TZ. It is more random. If I want every shot returning to the flipper easily and under control I'd play a video game. the best thing about pinball is that it is wild. Sure there are inlane return ramps on TZ, but every good shot does not feed cleanly back to a flipper for instant control.

#64 8 years ago

Its not even close, TZ by a mile.

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from Onecooldaddyo:

I read a lot of these type of threads that are put out. Being new to pinball, I used to feel that I could get a better understanding what games are better by someone telling me what they thought. Truth is, you have haters for everything and trolls that are only trying to provoke responses and incite fights.

You're overreacting. Who's fighting , who's hating?

There's tonnes of games that LOTR would topple and it's a masterpiece but TZ is genius.

Quoted from jlm33:

- TZ is more about sharpening your aiming skills. Mistakes are often fatal.

This is another good point because LOTR is pretty much shot rubber shot rubber, there's not enough danger in LOTR. Once lotr is mastered it's too easy, too long winded. I had a lot of love for it when I first started playing it and it's still right up there but it's basically that thought "Do I really want to spend 30mins+ in one game?". even if it isn't 30 minutes every time, it sure feels like it...

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from horseypin:

You're overreacting. Who's fighting , who's hating?
There's tonnes of games that LOTR would topple and it's a masterpiece but TZ is genius.

This is another good point because LOTR is pretty much shot rubber shot rubber, there's not enough danger in LOTR. Once lotr is mastered it's too easy, too long winded. I had a lot of love for it when I first started playing it and it's still right up there but it's basically that thought "Do I really want to spend 30mins+ in one game?". even if it isn't 30 minutes every time, it sure feels like it...

30 minutes is what a typical game of madden takes and most video games take longer to get through levels, etc. I wish all of my LOTR games lasted 30 minutes and I'm on 5 ball.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

30 minutes is what a typical game of madden takes and most video games take longer to get through levels, etc. I wish all of my LOTR games lasted 30 minutes and I'm on 5 ball.

Heh. I would never do 5 ball. I don't even like extra balls I would prefer they were switched off. My favorite games are without doubt BSD & F-14 so that goes to show you what kind of pinball I prefer and TZ isn't the easiest game ever made either.

Maybe you need to practice some ball control or harder games. Then come back to lotr and you'll be a master.

#68 8 years ago

They are both 10s. Too hard to say, have both, both in my top 5 to leave only if they all do. I have not vote.

#69 8 years ago

I owned a lord LE, and own a TZ. Both are great pins. Equal love. But had to sell lotr.

Lack of space, and I assumed Predator was coming. Oh well.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

But had to sell lotr. Lack of space, and I assumed Predator was coming. Oh well.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I owned a lord LE, and own a TZ. Both are great pins. Equal love. But had to sell lotr.

Wow. Kevin Kulek stole your LOTR. That sucks.

#72 8 years ago

I am fortunate to own both. My LOTR was a NIB gold edition. Initially, I did not warm up to it and thought that I might sell it. These long ball times that people speak of: not so much for me and perhaps it reflects my abilities or lack thereof. Over the years I have warmed up to LOTR.

TZ: I have a routed one that I have restored. When I play it, I always want "one more game". Right from the get go I knew that I liked this game. It does require some work to maintain as it is mechanically more complicated than LOTR. I will say that TZ has more.....intrigue?

All said, either game is a winner. Play as much as you can on either, if you are able to, and then decide.

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Man, that sucks.....sorry to hear that......

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 14.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-is-better-lord-of-the-ring-or-twilight-zone/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.