• Latest reply 4 years ago by jar155
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

KISS LE side art (resized).jpg
KISS LE STLE AVLE (resized).jpg

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Thinking of switching up the line up with one of these. I'd appreciate honest opinions, not hate. I'm looking for a fun game. I know, two very different games...both of which don't get a ton of love. Let me know your thoughts, opinions and advice. Thanks

#2 4 years ago

I would take Kiss all day. Others opinions will vary, this is pinside right? But I'll start the discussion my my personal pros/cons, knowing that someone will get very upset about it either way. Caveat: I haven't owned either game but have played them both quite a bit on location.

Kiss
Pros:
Code has had a major update making for more balanced scoring and progression. Combo shot multipliers are fun!
Sweet sweet center ramp shot that feeds your left flipper for some aforementioned combo action.
Unintentionally hilarious Paul Stanley callouts. "I'M GONNA DOA LITTTLE NUMBAH FOR YA NOWWWW"
Kevin O'Connor art package
It's a John Borg game... nuff said.

Kiss
Cons:
Gene head shoots balls down right between the flippers, more of a problem on the Prem/LE. I think this can be adjusted/tweaked to occur less frequently, and code addresses this by making a short ball save *usually* active when this is happening to reduce cheap drains.
I'm trying to think of a polite way to describe the DMD animations other than saying they're maybe the worst since Transformers. They just look bad.
You have to be ok with listening to Kiss songs... all night, and ev-er-y day.

Ghostbusters:
Pros:
The obvious: this is a pinball machine based off the movie Ghostbusters.
ZombieYeti art package! Home run! Game looks great.
A lot of design elements here: Cool Slimer mech/toy. Ramp that goes under the playfield, captive balls, cool toys and models.
Callouts and sounds are great and really tie in to the theme ...but maybe lacking in variety.
Magna-slings!

Ghostbusters
Cons:
Ladder mode progression. To me, not fun. Hearing "who brought the dog?" at the start of every game gets real tiresome.
Code: Stern says another update is coming. Wizard modes are ...eh. Starting modes is a chore if you miss your skill shot. Skill shot awards and bonuses can get way out there in terms of scoring balance.
Cheap drains... hopping over inlane rails, airballs off everything, scoleri target bricks, slingshots close together tends to send a lot of balls to the outlanes, oh and I should mention the flipper gap: personally I'm ok with it but others not so much. Still, can be a really frustrating game to play and doesn't feel as good to shoot as Kiss (or any Borg game really).
Magna-slings!

That's my personal take. Don't take my word for it, get out there and play some pinball! What I like and what you like might be totally different.

#3 4 years ago

KISS LE is a BLAST. I played both on location GB and KISS pro models . Both game were in bad shape with issues . I was drawn to KISS . I went on a wild search of all pinsiders in Colorado that owned a KISS LE . Three total . One responded it is now in my house . Iwas drawn to KISS from the first plunge . The Pro model has a virtual lock . Gene Toy spits the pinball out a lot more than the KISS LE which has a physical ball lock . So the KISS LE Gene Toy does not drain near as much as the KISS Pro . And mine does not spit the pinball SDTM it hits the left flipper . Both themes are out dated . But KISS less so . KISS is an Iconic rock band . The Music , Candy apple Red Armor , the game play is addicting. There are some great shots and the code is not so complicated that I feel like I need a tutor . KISS LE is a fantastic fun bloodpumping pinball machine . I really think you will totally dig it .
GB I sure is fun . I did not get to play a good example of it . Neither was KISS . KISS LE IS in my home and love it .
You are in California there is a great deal on a KISS Premium here Buy it. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/54740
This KISS have the best mod you can get for KISS Prem/LE I just installed one on mine from Kimball's www.KimballsPinballs.com
Love Gun Multi-Ball Lighting Kit . It is really good .

KISS LE STLE AVLE (resized).jpg

KISS LE side art (resized).jpg

#4 4 years ago

Gble.

#5 4 years ago

I’m going to have to go with GBLE. Both games are good though, maybe just pick whichever theme you like the most.

#6 4 years ago

KISS, better flow and no cheap drains or air balls. Well less than GB

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

KISS, better flow and no cheap drains or air balls. Well less than GB

Air balls and cheap drains on Ghostbusters? Pffft!

#8 4 years ago

This will come as a shocker as GBLE is valued at much more than Kiss LE, but I personally think Kiss is much better. For the record, I have owned a GB Premium and a Kiss Pro. Although GB is a stunning looking machine, in fact I would argue its one of the most beautiful games ever, it plays like crap. Bad geometry and a foolish gap between the flippers made GB one of the most frustrating games I have ever played. I also thought the code was boring and way too linear. Kiss, although far from perfect, shoots well and the rules make it a great pick up game and you easily find yourself coming back for one more game. In addition, if you like Kiss music, it really adds to this title as Kiss music is the perfect tempo for playing pinball. As beautiful as it is, GB will continue to fall on the used market as it is not a game that many will want to trade for or own again. Kiss has hit rock bottom, so I would recommend buying it and waiting on GB.

#9 4 years ago

KISS might be my favorite Stern ever as it is just fun, plain and simple.

It really helps to have actual band call outs that are funny. I really feel AS and AC/DC miss out without these.

GB is decent but not a fan of linear code.

And hopefully last update on KISS will add the polish to take the game up another notch.

#10 4 years ago

It is a no brainer, kiss all day long
GB is barely playable

#11 4 years ago

Ghostbusters is a lot of fun but, for what it’s worth, I wouldn’t dream of swapping my Kiss LE for it.

#12 4 years ago

Kiss all the way!

#13 4 years ago

Three guesses anyone.....?

#14 4 years ago

Whichever pin you like to play more, its pinball don't listen to anyone else.

#15 4 years ago

Kiss LE

#16 4 years ago

I vote kiss LE

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Whichever pin you like to play more, its pinball don't listen to anyone else.

I never understand this response, as it makes no sense.

He specifically asked for opinions on this!

Also the correct answer is KISS. Much more fun and 10 different songs to get sick of instead of just 1.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Also the correct answer is KISS. Much more fun and 10 different songs to get sick of instead of just 1.

Hahahaha.

I’ve owned both. Kiss LE is light years better than GBLE.

#19 4 years ago

All great insights. Much appreciated. Keep them coming.

#20 4 years ago

They both look amazing - TIE

Music is completely discretionary, but KISS songs did start to grow on me after playing it a ton. More of a fun "simple" shooter that didn't take a ton of thought to play. Lightshow is great, Flying Starchild not mind blowing. Overall very fun!

Put a bunch of plays on GBLE last night at AYCE Gogi and the gameplay was starting to click for me. I'd suggest going down there and doing the same. Tough game to get down and coding issues, like having to hit slimer repeatedly to start modes if you miss the skill shot, kinda suck. Lots more strategy and things to go for besides the modes if you like playing for score. Will probably kick you in the nuts more than reward you. Having said that, when it all clicks its a lot of fun.

#21 4 years ago

Our Kiss never gets played. Its super boring. I hate Kiss's music and the call outs are even more annoying. My boss is a huge kiss fan....so ya.

Ghostbusters is packed with features! I would NEVER consider Kiss over a GB. Never. Kiss shoots nice, but I just hate the theme so much, and the feature list from Kiss to GB is huge.

Honestly, if you like Kiss as a band, just get it. If you have no nostalgia for GB, dont get it.

#22 4 years ago

Ghostbusters.
Great stacking... get a mode + multiball + PKE frenzy + playfield multiplier !!

#23 4 years ago

GB by far - The big problem with GB is it needs a few simple tweeks (at < $100 total cost) to get past a few out of the gate flaws.
Then it's a great game -> which is better than KISS IMO. Many people are judging GB without the needed fixes.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from T7:

GB by far - The big problem with GB is it needs a few simple tweeks (at < $100 total cost) to get past a few out of the gate flaws.
Then it's a great game -> which is better than KISS IMO. Many people are judging GB without the needed fixes.

You can't tweek a jacked layout or the linear mode play.

I've owned both and I think KISS once Heaven's on fire was added is a lot better game the GB.

#25 4 years ago

Not even close for me, GBLE any day, didnt care for kiss much.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

You can't tweek a jacked layout or the linear mode play.

The linear mode play is over-hyped, mostly due to people that don't know how to change the skillshot.
-- There are 3 ladders to climb, + PKE Frenzy at any time - first mode can be any of these 4

The layout is not "jacked" - the game can play great - here are all the easy fixes/tweaks:
-- big flipper gap - FIXED
-- air balls - FIXED
-- right ramp rejects - FIXED
-- scoleri targets not dropping when hit - FIXED (hair trigger drops now)
-- right loop hangups - FIXED

Can you name any issue with the playfield layout that's not in the above list?

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from T7:

The linear mode play is over-hyped, mostly due to people that don't know how to change the skillshot.
-- There are 3 ladders to climb, + PKE Frenzy at any time - first mode can be any of these 4
The layout is not "jacked" - the game can play great - here are all the easy fixes/tweaks:
-- big flipper gap - FIXED
-- air balls - FIXED
-- right ramp rejects - FIXED
-- scoleri targets not dropping when hit - FIXED (hair trigger drops now)
-- right loop hangups - FIXED
Can you name any issue with the playfield layout that's not in the above list?

I owned a premium, it's not a good shooting game in my opinion. I do not like the shot geometry at all. I'm glad you like yours but from personally owning the game I do not agree. You are listing tweeks to fix stern gameplay issues, I'm talking about the actual shot map of the game and code that is linear and poorly uses several of the features on the game.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah but all the opinions is the world won't make or break a pin for me, I know he asked but he shouldn't, its like music or movies, just because its 100 to 1 in a certain direction, does that really matter until u hear or see it for urself? Just saying go and play each game then decide, who cares what anyone else thinks?

#29 4 years ago

Kiss, if you like the band, and better shots.

GBLE for pure fun, and more joy for other family and friends if they play.

For me, 1-1/2 years with GBLE, and I love playing it because I'm a bad player.

If you play competively, and well, a few games on each will give you the answer.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I owned a premium, it's not a good shooting game in my opinion. I do not like the shot geometry at all

My friend had a premium and played very bad. It was no fun at all.
I have a pro (latest run) and plays very smooth.
So I understand if people displike te game...but I likeit a lot.

#31 4 years ago

Kiss all day. I agree with all the comments about bad geometry. GB is just a horrible design. It's a shame that such a choice theme and art package was wasted on such a horribly playing machine.
Kiss is just a pleasure to play. Only complaint is you need to switch the music over to the original versions of the song to give it that real kiss feel.

#32 4 years ago

Is the only difference between the LE and Premium the colored armor? Both have identical game play?

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I owned a premium, it's not a good shooting game in my opinion. I do not like the shot geometry at all. I'm glad you like yours but from personally owning the game I do not agree. You are listing tweeks to fix stern gameplay issues, I'm talking about the actual shot map of the game and code that is linear and poorly uses several of the features on the game.

Which shot's in GB have poor geometry in your opinion?

Did you realize you can start any of 4 different modes as your first mode (not just WBT Dog)?

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from SpecialK-33:

Is the only difference between the LE and Premium the colored armor? Both have identical game play?

Yes. This is true with all Sterns.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from SpecialK-33:

Yes on the difference between the LE and the Premium. Snag you an LE while prices are low....the artwork is fantastic compared to the pro or premium.

Kiss all day over GB. I can’t stand GB. Kiss has that one more game feel and I keeps me coming back.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from SpecialK-33:

KISS LE has a (Real Back Glass) made of "Glass " The Premiums do not have "Real Glass". I think GBLE is not Real Glass I think STERN Stopped adding that feature on the Limited Editions . Kiss LE for sure has real Back glass . I may be wrong about GBLE

#37 4 years ago

Thanks everyone!

#38 4 years ago

Kiss, while I'm not a fan, is actually a pinball machine. So my vote goes to the actual pinball machine. GB is a box of anti-fun vomit from the pits of hell & was made by a pedophile. Unfortunately it resembles what we call "pinball", and that confuses some people.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

KISS LE has a (Real Back Glass) made of "Glass " The Premiums do not have "Real Glass". I think GBLE is not Real Glass I think STERN Stopped adding that feature on the Limited Editions . Kiss LE for sure has real Back glass . I may be wrong about GBLE

GBLE has a printed on the glass backglass, as opposed to a translite. It also comes with the shaker motor

#40 4 years ago

I have a Kiss LE and a GB Prem, and I play the Kiss 10x more, for whatever that's worth.

#41 4 years ago

I have never seen a Kiss LE / Prem (!) so I can't answer the LE vs LE question. But I love to give my opinion anyway.

I have played both pro extensively.
GB pro is usually highly frustrating on location. It needs to be fine tuned - if not modified - to avoid cheap and unfair drains.

Kiss pro is a better game, if you are not allergic to the music and don't pay too much attention to the crappy animations. You'll also have to live with the cheap drains from Gene's head - even with a ball save, it's annoying.
And yet Kiss (pro) is on my wish list - I love the artwork package, which is a nice homage to the Bally Kiss machine. Layout is fine...

Now with the LE... no doubt GBLE/Prem offers much more than the Pro. Unsure about Kiss.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Now with the LE... no doubt GBLE/Prem offers much more than the Pro. Unsure about Kiss.

It's not much more. You get the multi-colored GI. The magnet floating ball multiball start trick which is kinda dumb. Starguy twitches slightly during multiball. Drop target in front of the "map room" area.

#43 4 years ago

Kiss LE all day long!!! I think this is Sterns best title to date and I'm amazed at how cheap you can pick one up right now. When the final update gets dropped watch the prices climb back up on this one. Such a fun and exciting game to play!

#44 4 years ago

I own both in premium. I love GB. Its a gorgeous machine......and its challenging. It is full of cheap drains, but it wont leave my collection.

Kiss gets turned on a lot more in my game. It shoots so smooth, and the rules are fine. The light show is great. I personally leaned towards Kiss.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from Kingpin22:

Kiss LE all day long!!! I think this is Sterns best title to date and I'm amazed at how cheap you can pick one up right now. When the final update gets dropped watch the prices climb back up on this one. Such a fun and exciting game to play!

I agrew with you.....! I hated it when it first came out.....but now, its one of my favorite machines.

#46 4 years ago

KISS wasn't really on my radar as I'm not a fan of their tunes but I kept gravitating towards it at an arcade that had a bunch of new Sterns - including GB. After hours of playing both I just hate GB. Finally boought a KiSS Pro. Easy to understand, challenging, great shots. Replaced tunes with bands I like better and if kicks ass.

#47 4 years ago

I forgot that KISS was really good . I was given in 1974 Kiss is the debut studio album " KISS "
Buying KISS pinball machine brings back my adolescents .

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

I forgot that KISS was really good . I was given in 1974 Kiss is the debut studio album " KISS "
Buying KISS pinball machine brings back my adolescents .
» YouTube video

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's not much more. You get the multi-colored GI. The magnet floating ball multiball start trick which is kinda dumb. Starguy twitches slightly during multiball. Drop target in front of the "map room" area.

Love Gun Multi-Ball Levitation is awesome across the backboard of KISS Prem/LE . The Paul Stanley rocking out I will give you that one ' twitchy '. Candy apple Red Armor trim . Gene Demon Head has a 3-ball Physical ball-lock. Choreographed Multi-Color GI . Also there are (16) added RGB LED color changing inserts on the KISS LE/Prem . KISS 4 Bank drop targets. Real Back glass on KISS LE

#50 4 years ago

If you want to be able to EVER sell your pinball machine in the future, for that reason alone go with GBLE. For every other reason, also go with GBLE.

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside