(Topic ID: 125979)

Which is a better mod for the money ... ColorDMD or Invisiglass?

By gweempose

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Riffbear
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which is a better mod for the money?”

• ColorDMD 205 votes
      83%
    • PDI / Invisiglass 42 votes
      17%

(247 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Sparkle.jpg
    tmp_3606-20150516_2255501193738080.jpg

There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 4 years ago

I kind of feel I don't have a good right even have a right to vote on this having only lightly experienced either one, but weeks ago I got a PinBot in insanely excellent low use shape, yet one of the two previous owners did scratch the glass up a bit (probably laying stuff on it.) Have any of you ever stuffed it into PinBot or a comparable pinball machine? I've noticed there is some glare due to the intensity of the flashing back box and the strobe of the red light array up top even. I don't get any reflections much from the near by window though so I was wondering if there was much of a point.

I guess in my position instead of the DMD that's color, I know you can get colorized alpha/numeric displays on the machine I have too and that would be a total fluff mod unlike the color dmd as I'm seeing a few comments here about people with eye issues and color blindness that would be a benefit.

I throw my vote to the glass though. And with my lack of skills far easier than trying to wire up colored displays on mine anyway too, though as I understand it I can't even just swap out the bulbs on mine if I wanted system wide.

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tanooki:

Have any of you ever stuffed it into PinBot or a comparable pinball machine?

I have PDI in my Pin*Bot. It makes a difference. Perhaps not as big of a difference as on some of my other games, but it's still a major improvement over regular glass.

#103 4 years ago

I'd like to put an Invisiglass on at least one of my machines (JD) but it would probably cost an arm, leg and perhaps some internal organs to ship it out to OZ

#104 4 years ago

My advice to anyone considering purchasing either for the first time: be prepared to buy it for all of your (supported) pins. Once you've given either upgrade to one of your machines, all of the others get jealous.

#105 4 years ago

I don't have a Pinbot to stuff invisiglass in. But you should see how it looks in my Earthshaker and BK2K. I'll wait on the color DMD for those.

#106 4 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

My advice to anyone considering purchasing either for the first time: be prepared to buy it for all of your (supported) pins. Once you've given either upgrade to one of your machines, all of the others get jealous.

Truth!!!

#107 4 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

AMEN REVEREND!!

#108 4 years ago

How do you find it on sale?

I'd take a chance on a couple pieces of $200 glass vs 2 for $660 shipped

Assuming I need to come to a show for that pricing? (and to save on the shipping)?

#109 4 years ago

I have both and hands down, The color DMD for guests or observing, invisiglass for playing. Oh wait...

#110 4 years ago

ColorDMD all the way.

Oh how I wish I could complain about colorDMDs being $400/$450.

At $600 CAD, I got one for my grail, LOTR, and that will be all.

#111 4 years ago

Hey guys, where is the best place to get invisiglass.....are there local companies that sell it or is it a special order type thing?

#112 4 years ago
    Quoted from FishPharm:

Hey guys, where is the best place to get invisiglass.....are there local companies that sell it or is it a special order type thing?

You can only get Invisiglass directly from JJP or from a JJP distributor. The only place to get PDI glass is Pinball Decals. You won't be able to find glass with these properties anywhere else. I personally think PDI is a slightly better product, but they are both pretty awesome.

#113 4 years ago

Wow, $295 a sheet plus shipping! Do they ever offer discounts during the year?

#114 4 years ago

ColorDMD and I don't think it's close. I have PDI on a couple machines and while it's nice, it doesn't do as much for the game as the ColorDMD.

#115 4 years ago
    Quoted from sturner:

ColorDMD and I don't think it's close. I have PDI on a couple machines and while it's nice, it doesn't do as much for the game as the ColorDMD.

It does more.

#116 4 years ago

I have inviciglass on my WOZ. Not impressed for the $150-$200 per sheet.

ColorDMD for sure.

#117 4 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

How do you find it on sale?
    I'd take a chance on a couple pieces of $200 glass vs 2 for $660 shipped
    Assuming I need to come to a show for that pricing? (and to save on the shipping)?

Yes it was a show discount and with no shipping it was something I had to try. I got a sheet from BAA last year at their open house during CAX for $150. Great deal, I'm hoping they might do it again this year.

#118 4 years ago

Well I finally caved in and bought a CDMD for my Metallica. I hope I can resist adding CDMD to LOTR and JM. And I wonder if NASCAR, DH and Congo are in the pipeline?

#119 4 years ago

Just my 2 cents: I have a WoZ Standard standing next to a ECLEWOZ and the difference the Invisiglass makes is HUGE.

ColorDMD's are nice, but it depends on the game. I bought one for my MM but I took it off. It just seemed not right. I put it on a STTNG and there it was awesome !

But both MM and STTNG look much better with the Invisiglass, so my choice would be Invisiglass.

I also have a Black Spiderman with Invisiglass and just before making this post I changed it with a normal sheet of glass. It was like day and night difference. The playfield colors are just so much deeper with the Invisiglass and the visibility of the back playfield is much better. The normal glass I used is new and cleaned very well.

Only bad thing about the Invisiglass: you need to keep it really clean

#120 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Well I finally caved in and bought a CDMD for my Metallica. I hope I can resist adding CDMD to LOTR and JM. And I wonder if NASCAR, DH and Congo are in the pipeline?

Nope now your screwed I went from AFM then had to get one for a LOTR I'm pimping out for a buddy. When a few pinhead friends saw the ColorDMD in action for the first time they were amazed couldn't believe how good it looked.

#121 4 years ago

ColorDMD. I did the latter. Put invisiglass on.. Guess what.. I'd rather buy a clean 25.00 piece of glass
    and then install the color DMD. Invisiglass is over-rated in my opinion. We have been looking through
    glass on pinballs for years and it never bothered is previously. So why bother now?

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from Barakawins1:

We have been looking through
    glass on pinballs for years and it never bothered is previously. So why bother now?

We've been looking at orange displays on pinballs for years; what's your point? Better is better.

#123 4 years ago

I had a nightmare last night that a friend ordered 20 sheets of PDI glass. I rented a truck and brought it to him, and somehow half of it was broken when I got there. He wanted me to pay for the broken sheets, so I ran away. Strange dream...I think PDI is actually stronger than regular glass. I love those smooth edges.

#124 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Well I finally caved in and bought a CDMD for my Metallica. I hope I can resist adding CDMD to LOTR and JM. And I wonder if Nascar, DH and Congo are in the pipeline?

You cannot resist! LOTR looks incredible and from the videos I've seen, so does JM. I mean - ALL ColorDMDs look incredible but they just keep getting better and better IMO.

1 week later
    #125 4 years ago

Can I change my vote? I just installed a ColorDMD in my TSPP and all I can say is WOW!!!

In all seriousness, though, I still think non-glare glass is a better buy for the money. The backbox glare was horrible on TSPP. I stuck a piece of PDI in there and the difference was night and day.

#126 4 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Can I change my vote? I just installed a ColorDMD in my TSPP and all I can say is WOW!!!
    In all seriousness, though, I still think non-glare glass is a better buy for the money. The backbox glare was horrible on TSPP. I stuck a piece of PDI in there and the difference was night and day.

I was thinking about this thread over the weekend while playing my pins, 3 of which have both the color DMD and PDI/Invisiglass. I really do love the Color DMD, but so little time is spent looking at it when playing compared to looking down at the PF it just seems obvious to me that the glass is the better investment. Of course I am one of those people who notice a huge improvement over regular glass too.

#127 4 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I really do love the Color DMD, but so little time is spent looking at it when playing compared to looking down at the PF it just seems obvious to me that the glass is the better investment. Of course I am one of those people who notice a huge improvement over regular glass too.

And this is the same reasoning for why I voted PDI instead of CDMD.

But maybe that's why Greg prefers regular glass ... he can see the CDMD reflecting off it while he's looking at the playfield!

#128 4 years ago

I plan to add CDMD to my ST before invisiglass.

#129 4 years ago

It's like having to vote on which is better: chocolate or sex. Rather than decide, just do both.

#130 4 years ago
    Quoted from RobertWinter:

And this is the same reasoning for why I voted PDI instead of CDMD.
    But maybe that's why Greg prefers regular glass ... he can see the CDMD reflecting off it while he's looking at the playfield!

Actually ColorDMD barely has any reflection on playfield glass. Not like orange DMDs. I've removed the Glare Guards on most of my games with ColorDMD. Orange DMD glare was the only glare that ever bothered me...and a $10 piece of plastic did a fine job removing it.

...and again it's not that I "prefer" regular glass...I just can't justify spending money correcting a problem I don't see. I can easily see what ColorDMD does.

#131 4 years ago

I have both and would absolutely go with the color DMD. Adds to the game & much more noticeable and has an impact. IG is just ok.

#132 4 years ago

The problem is that the poll lumps PDI and Invisiglass together. They are not the same thing.

#133 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

The problem is that the poll lumps PDI and Invisglass together. They are not the same thing.

Same concept, it's perfectly fine for this poll. ColorDMD would still win.

#134 4 years ago

I don't have either, but I have to say a DMD Filter worked wonders for my machine. Also I did take some of the LED's out of the back glass. With these two minor changes I can't imagine spending that kind of money on glass. My regular glass is already basically invisible.

#135 4 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I just use what my friend calls poor man's invisiglass, unscrew the starter or bulb on Sterns. No backbox glare.

#136 4 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

I just use what my friend calls poor man's invisiglass, unscrew the starter or bulb on Sterns. No backbox glare.

Then the game looks like the broken ones on location.

#137 4 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

That remedy creates a problem worse than the problem its trying to fix.

#138 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

It's like having to vote on which is better: chocolate or sex. Rather than decide, just do both.

So you want me to dip my wife in chocolate?? Sounds weird but okay I'll try it!!

#139 4 years ago

Invisiglass, definitely.

#140 4 years ago

ColorDMD easily as the poll suggests. Invisiglass is awesome too, but ColorDMD is just that much more spectacular. It modernizes a game immediately. Glass glare doesn't bother me...just avoid direct overhead lights.

#141 4 years ago

PDI glass 1st. Then color DMD

#142 4 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

That remedy creates a problem worse than the problem its trying to fix.

Not sure what problem it creates. The backbox lighting is just a fluorescent bulb. Disabling it means I get 0 glare on the playfield glass. I can still see the translite and it doesn't cost $200. Besides the ColorDMD is as far up as I normally look when playing.

#143 4 years ago

Between the two my vote is a ColorDMD and then just get a DMD glare guard.

#144 4 years ago

Color DMD all the way

#145 4 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

Not sure what problem it creates. The backbox lighting is just a fluorescent bulb. Disabling it means I get 0 glare on the playfield glass. I can still see the translite and it doesn't cost $200. Besides the ColorDMD is as far up as I normally look when playing.

Kind of like living In a house with 25 year old paint. You live inside, so who cares what the outside looks like, right??

With that said, I'd still take the colordmd

#146 4 years ago

ColorDMD for me...A friend had a piece of invisiglass (or whatever it's called) and brought it over to put in his MM to be used in league finals at our house. Towards the end of the day, we switched it with a piece of regular glass from my Congo...and then challenged him to a game on both games...he couldn't tell the difference. We then proceeded to "help" him to his car with said piece of glass and accidentally dropped it, shattering it into a bunch of glistening diamonds all over my driveway...of course filming the entire time to get his reaction! Then after the initial shock wore off and we told him that wasn't his $300 piece of glass, we came back in and got his out of my Congo, and he took it home and got rid of it. Said that if that was all the difference then it wasn't worth $300. a sheet. With a ColorDMD you can most definitely tell the difference!!

Phoebe

#147 4 years ago
    Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

We then proceeded to "help" him to his car with said piece of glass and accidentally dropped it, shattering it into a bunch of glistening diamonds all over my driveway...of course filming the entire time to get his reaction!

Vid, or it didn't happen.

#148 4 years ago

Phoebe, I admire your dedication to trolling your friends.

#149 4 years ago
    Quoted from Razorbak86:

Vid, or it didn't happen.

I can't get it to load on here...so I can't post it for you!

Phoebe

#150 4 years ago

I went for pdi glass first, my eyes are getting worse and the glare was really getting to me. Tonight I took a pic of a stuck ball in SS, and I think it's good example of pdi. This pic was in a dark room, using the flash on my phone, about 6" above the glass.

tmp_3606-20150516_2255501193738080.jpg
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 16.00
    Tools
    PinballSolutions.eu
    $ 9.95
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 299.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 27.99
    $ 8.99
    Lighting - Other
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside