(Topic ID: 125979)

Which is a better mod for the money ... ColorDMD or Invisiglass?

By gweempose

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Riffbear
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which is a better mod for the money?”

• ColorDMD 205 votes
      83%
    • PDI / Invisiglass 42 votes
      17%

(247 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sparkle.jpg
    tmp_3606-20150516_2255501193738080.jpg
    There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 8 years ago

I'm curious to see where people fall on this one. I'm personally in the PDI / Invisiglass camp. They are both awesome mods, but the non-glare glass actually affects the way in which your eyes interact with the game. Depending on the lighting in your game room, it can make the playfield much easier to see. As cool as ColorDMD is, it's still just eye candy.

Incidentally, I just ordered my first ColorDMD today for TSPP.

#2 8 years ago

i'd go with ColorDMD, but Invisiglass is great as well!

#3 8 years ago

I have both, but if I had to have only one, it would definitely be the Color DMD. No question.

#4 8 years ago

To be fair I get invisible type glass on sale usually comes out to $150-200 so that is half the cost of ColorDMD. That said I'd get the glass first as it directly impacts gameplay and clarity. ColorDMD is also one of the coolest mods on the market just a bit more pricey and doesn't impact gameplay. I still see ColorDMD as a must have mod if it supports full color on the pin I have.

#5 8 years ago

ColorDMD! All Day! Say it with your chest!

Marcus

#6 8 years ago

ColorDMD at least you can see it...

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

To be fair I get invisible type glass on sale usually comes out to $150-200 so that is half the cost of ColorDMD. That said I'd get the glass first as it directly impacts gameplay and clarity. ColorDMD is also one of the coolest mods on the market just a bit more pricey and doesn't impact gameplay. I still see ColorDMD as a must have mod if it supports full color on the pin I have.

It *CAN* enhance gameplay, specifically video modes. I do much better on Indy in the video modes when using colordmd.

#8 8 years ago

For the record, even though I voted for the glass, I happen to think ColorDMD is one of the most brilliantly conceived and executed mods in all of pinball. I don't know how many ColorDMDs those guys have sold, but I hope they've made a mint. They certainly deserve it.

#9 8 years ago

ColorDMD for me easily. I don;t have much of a problem seeing through glass as it is

#10 8 years ago

I've got invisiglass on several machines that don't have color DMD and I like it very much.

On Judge Dredd I have both colorDMD and invisiglass and it is stupendous. No, this JD is not a $1400 game folks.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from DocRotCod:

It *CAN* enhance gameplay, specifically video modes. I do much better on Indy in the video modes when using colordmd.

That's an excellent point that I hadn't even thought of. Having never owned a game with a color DMD, I don't really have a lot of experience with them. It makes sense that the color separation could potentially make some video modes easier.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No, this JD is not a $1400 game folks.

Not to you anyway

#13 8 years ago

ColorDMD

So far the coolest mod I've installed to any of my machines although Ive never seen invisiglass and haven't got my 2.0 kit yet for BOP.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from DocRotCod:

Eh not really IMO but does make it look much cooler that's for sure.

#15 8 years ago

You really want both. But I always get PDI on my machine first, then ColorDMD once I save up some more bread.

#16 8 years ago

Put in another way, do I prefer the color LCD screen or Invisiglass on my WOZ? Which one would I give up first ...

um ...

uh ...

er ...

Alex, I'll take "conundrums I cannot solve" for $1000."

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from NinJaBooT:

ColorDMD ... So far the coolest mod I've installed to any of my machines although I've never seen Invisiglass ...

I suspect that the reason ColorDMD will run away with this poll is because a lot of people haven't experienced in person enough games with Invisiglass installed. It's easy to watch a video of a ColorDMD and be immediately impressed by the "wow" factor. Invisiglass, on the other hand, has to be experienced firsthand under different lighting conditions to fully appreciate it. I have never seen a video or photo of Invisiglass that properly captures the effectiveness of it.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Invisiglass, on the other hand, has to be experienced firsthand under different lighting conditions to fully appreciate it.

Sure sure...so now the glass has to be "dialed in" too?

#19 8 years ago

I can't believe this thread has been up for 30 minutes and Neo hasn't popped in yet to expound upon why he thinks non-glare glass is a ripoff.

#20 8 years ago

No option for neither? I would rather have another cheap game than spend $800 on two things that don't make much difference imo.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I can't believe this thread has been up for 30 minutes and Neo hasn't popped in yet to expound upon why he thinks non-glare glass is a ripoff.

Must be in the can.

I would just think color DMD is more of a "MOD," and since everyone is so goddamn mod crazy, it would be more popular.

You also have to factor in at least 23% of Pinside users probably don;t play their machines, just look at them, so ColorDMD wins there.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I don't typically agree with much of anything neo says, but I just don't have much of a problem seeing the playfield on games. Rip off? No. Just not worth the money to me.

#23 8 years ago

I'll break from the others and instead say " it depends". If you can manage the glare .. Color dmd. If glare is a problem for you and simply putting new in scratched glass isn't good enough then splurge on the glass first. In our shop the glass makes a huge difference. It won't in all environments.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

I don't typically agree with much of anything neo says, but I just don't have much of a problem seeing the playfield on games. Rip off? No. Just not worth the money to me.

Neo clearly believes that Invisiglass/PDI is a rip-off, so I'm afraid you're disagreeing with him once again!

#25 8 years ago

Are you epileptic? If not I'd get these upgrades, in this order.

LED's - ColorDMD - Invisiglass

end of line

#26 8 years ago

Glass > DMD. But both rock.

#28 8 years ago

I'm going to say.....

it depends.

Invisiglass is awesome in that it's doing it's job if you don't see it...
    ColorDMDs are great if you do see them.

But, that said, I spend more time looking at the playfield than at the DMD. But ColorDMD always gets oohs and aahs from people watching. That said, folks who go to my TronLE with invisiglass don't even comment on it. Except the occasional person who tries to touch the playfield and doesn't realize that there is actually glass in!

#29 8 years ago

I've a question, when I play in a dim darkened room. Would PDI glass still be a big benifit? I was thinking it helps more when you have things reflecting onto the glass or overhead lights but I've never tried it out myself.

Also what type of cleaning solution do you need for PDI glass? Do regualar glass cleaners harm the PDI glass?

#30 8 years ago

I must be in the minority, but in the few times I have encountered it, I have had to be told it was invisiglass as I never noticed it. Even with close inspection, I struggled to appreciate much difference.

So, yeah. ColorDMD by a mile.

#31 8 years ago

never tried either but I think i would go with the glass on two games for the same price as color dmd on one. I agree with some of you that a bulk of my time is spent looking at the playfield.

#32 8 years ago

Eh not really IMO but does make it look much cooler that's for sure.

I'm partially color blind, and that makes it difficult to distinguish some shades of red/orange. Much easier for me to play the minecart mode.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinJump:

^ Don't forget LED OCD!

Only $150 to turn your games from looking like hot garbage into the nicest lit and polished looking game around. It's almost unfair to include it in a thread suggesting the best mod for the money.

#34 8 years ago

I've been yelling a at Gweem all day about this one.

ColorDMD. Not even close.

I'll live with my peasant glass...

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I've a question, when I play in a dim darkened room. Would PDI glass still be a big benifit? I was thinking it helps more when you have things reflecting onto the glass or overhead lights but I've never tried it out myself.
    Also what type of cleaning solution do you need for PDI glass? Do regualar glass cleaners harm the PDI glass?

A lot of people use Invisible Glass cleaner. It's recommended to use cleaners that are non-ammonia based I believe.

#36 8 years ago

ColorDMD all the way. I've almost never seen enough glare on the glass to detract from a game. Only game it bothered me on was Avengers...but I put some electrical tape on the backbox bulb to dim it, and that solved the issue enough for me.

Only glare I usually notice: From DMDs. Glare Guards solves that for regular DMDs. ColorDMDs give off such little glare, that I usually remove the Glare Guard once ColorDMD is installed.

#37 8 years ago

invisiglass no question... how often are you looking at the playfield vs the DMD??

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

ColorDMD all the way. I've almost never seen enough glare on the glass to detract from a game. Only game it bothered me on was Avengers...but I put some electrical tape on the backbox bulb to dim it, and that solved the issue enough for me.
    Only glare I usually notice: From DMDs. Glare Guards solves that for regular DMDs. ColorDMDs give off such little glare, that I usually remove the Glare Guard once ColorDMD is installed.

I use bent plastics to get rid of DMD glare and it works fine. My only game that has a serious glare issue from the backbox is also a crappy fluorescent bulb game though: Breakshot. I would feel dumb putting a $300 sheet of glass on Breakshot.

#39 8 years ago

I've got PDI and CDMD on all my games. I wouldn't want to be without either one now that I've had them.

In my case, I bought PDI glass first. Adding CDMD to each as they are released.

FWIW, I have PDI for its clarity, not glare reduction. It literally looks like there is no glass on the machine.

#40 8 years ago

I used to be strongly opposed to the 'over priced glass' but once I actually put it in I saw a huge difference in clarity vs. regular glass. Not only for reflection but for its clarity. It looks like it's not even there making my the playfield appear a bit crisper and LEDs richer. I know it's hard to believe like I said I was a hater before saying it's just glass and it's too much. After putting it in I think it is well worth it if you catch a sale and get it for $200 or less.

#41 8 years ago

I vote ColorDMD for my games.

I guess the lighting is just right in my gameroom. I've had people assume that I do have Invisiglass in them, but it's standard glass across the board.

#42 8 years ago

ColorDMD by a wide margin on this one. One of the unheralded advantages of ColorDMD is that the screen is polarized and cuts down on playfield glass reflection big time. No more need for a glare guard. Spend the money on the DMD and proper lighting for your gameroom and forget the fancy glass (unless you are made of money).

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I've had people assume that I do have Invisiglass in them, but it's standard glass across the board.

Same here. Proper light, dark ceilings and no bright LEDs in the backbox makes all the difference in the world. Nice, clean, unscratched $35 sheets of glass on all of my games except WOZ LE and there is no appreciable difference. Never had a single person comment on the difference let alone say "wow".

#44 8 years ago

I used to be strongly opposed to the 'over priced glass' but once I actually put it in I saw a huge difference in clarity vs. regular glass. Not only for reflection but for its clarity. It looks like it's not even there making my the playfield appear a bit crisper and LEDs richer. I know it's hard to believe like I said I was a hater before saying it's just glass and it's too much. After putting it in I think it is well worth it if you catch a sale and get it for $200 or less.

same, I'm not even a huge fan of Jack/JJP but invisiglass is awesome... one day I smashed my hand into it really hard because i simply didn't notice it was there, I thought I had removed it already!

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from flecom:

same, I'm not even a huge fan of Jack/JJP but invisiglass is awesome... one day I smashed my hand into it really hard because i simply didn't notice it was there, I thought I had removed it already!

Ive had a few embarrassing moments where I tried to reach in and adjust something without removing the glass. Makes me laugh and shake my head every time it happens.

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from flecom:

invisiglass no question... how often are you looking at the playfield vs the DMD??

I can see the playfield just fine with normal glass. I love DMD animation, and I'd rather have color animation than a sheet of glass that offers a solution for a problem I don't see.

#47 8 years ago

If the playfield us lit up well, glare is really not an issue for me. cdmd for sure on this one.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I go color dmd. I dont like having fear that i will scratch my glass. Scratching a dollar glass is no big deal. 150-180 *shudder*
    Best mod is the pin gulp!

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from cougtv:

I go color dmd. I dont like having fear that i will scratch my glass. Scratching a dollar glass is no big deal. 150-180 *shudder*

Been there, done that. Put an 18" scratch right down the center of a piece of widebody PDI glass. Needless to say, I was rather upset.

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I can see the playfield just fine with normal glass. I love DMD animation, and I'd rather have color animation than a sheet of glass that offers a solution for a problem I don't see.

I'm shocked that the professional animator prefers the ColorDMD ...

There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-is-a-better-mod-for-the-money-colordmd-or-invisiglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.