(Topic ID: 64427)

Which horror pins are good/great and which are average/dogs?

By DirtySouth

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Billy16
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vampire2.jpg
vampire1.jpg
vampirebg.jpg
image-11.jpg
image-16.jpg
image-17.jpg
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

MB
CFTBL
EATPM
SS
FREDDY ANOE
BSD
TAF
Frankenstein
HH
TFTC
MC
Gorgar
TZ

Possibly incomplete list? All I could come up off the top of my head... would love to read a little blurb on each and why you classify it like you do.

#2 10 years ago

I have CFTBL and TAF...have owned TZ and looking to get that title again.

Love CFTBL...theme, Creature Hologram, easy ruleset and great overall feel for the non-pinhead crew. Seems like everyone that comes over loves the Creature.

TAF....well its TAF...how can you not love it...The Power Magnets, thing flips, thing's hand coming out of the box...great call outs and Showtime is rockin'

TZ....Great theme as well....mini playfield with magnets...a ton of stuff going on...widebody..power ball....great sounds and call outs...really looking forward to bringing it back into the Collection...

FH....just plain creepy....gotta have it!

#3 10 years ago

calling addams family, funhouse, and twilight zone "horror" may be a bit of a stretch..

#4 10 years ago

but bigehrl....its creepy, and kooky and oooky...

#5 10 years ago

Ha! Creepy, I can get behind that.

#6 10 years ago

I'd say that list has a bunch of great games on it. Never played Freddy, so feel free to correct me, but that would be the only one that might approach dog status.

#7 10 years ago

In no order.

SS-Great
MB-Great
CFTBL-Good
EATPM-Good
BSD-Good
TAF-Good
Frankenstein-Good
TZ-Good
add- Class of 1812-Fun & BoneBusters-Fun

#8 10 years ago

Missing a few:

Devils Dare - Widebody and Drop Target Fun...A bit slow
Mephisto - Rare in the US but great looking backglass
Class of 1812 - Unique and good sounds - Chicken overture
BoneBusters - The only Decent Premier Backglass
Phantom of the Opera - Great game if I could only find one
Spooky - Zaccaria and uncommon...one of few I've never played
Stern Dracula - Don't bother

Of those not commented on and I own:

MC - Great Audio, fun and interesting layout with some unique ramp flows...Not terribly deep
TFTC - Best bang for buck horror IMO

#9 10 years ago

Creature and Scared Stiff you're paying for looks alone. Game play is very simple and monotonous on both. Neither lasted a month in my collection and I never considered them worth their going rate...and that was when Creature was a $3K game and Scared Stiff was a mid 3 game. What SS is going for now is ridiculous.

BSD is my favorite horror pin with Frankenstein not far behind. Also a fan of EATPM and TFTC, but I've only played them briefly at shows. Wouldn't mind having either in the future.

Phantom of the Opera is gorgeous and has great sound, but takes the cake as the worst playing pin I've ever owned. Bought and sold within 10 days. I'd avoid that one at all costs unless the theme is your favorite of all time.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Phantom of the Opera is gorgeous and has great sound, but takes the cake as the worst playing pin I've ever owned. Bought and sold within 10 days. I'd avoid that one at all costs unless the theme is your favorite of all time.

+1000000

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

calling Addams Family, Funhouse, and Twilight Zone "horror" may be a bit of a stretch..

Yeah most of these have a kitch or comedy element attached. Bram Stoker's Dracula might be the only one that has the combination of true horror mood & great gameplay.

#12 10 years ago

Don't forget Gorgar!

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Creature and Scared Stiff you're paying for looks alone. Game play is very simple and monotonous on both.

Agreed on Creature, but I think that's a little unfair on Scared Stiff. It's admittedly not the deepest or most challenging game, but I wouldn't describe it as simple and monotonous. I would call it just a fun game, that isn't going to keep giving you more as you dig deeper.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah most of these have a kitch or comedy element attached. Bram Stoker's Dracula might be the only one that has the combination of true horror mood & great gameplay.

I'd add Sega Mary Shelley's Frankenstein right behind BSD for true horror and gameplay

#16 10 years ago

For multiple players you can't beat MB and SS.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Right on.

Hands down, BSD is THE darkest pin out there. Aside from the multiball jackpot callouts, the game is pretty humorless and serious...and I love that.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Right on.
Hands down, BSD is THE darkest pin out there. Aside from the multiball jackpot callouts, the game is pretty humorless and serious...and I love that.

Well and Dracula looks like Ron Jeremy.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well and Dracula looks like Ron Jeremy.

True dat!

#20 10 years ago

Pinball Zombies is going to be great. Alecia may be singlehandedly bringing T/A back to pinball.......can't wait!

#21 10 years ago

Took the list above, added my comments and one pin:

SS-Great
MB-Great
CFTBL-OK
EATPM-Very Good
BSD- Very Good
TAF-Great
Frankenstein-Good
TZ-Very Good
Class of 1812-Fun
BoneBusters-Fun
Devils Dare : Nice looking, OK playing
Mephisto - Only played once - was not so great
Class of 1812 - OK
BoneBusters - Never played
Phantom of the Opera - Very good
Spooky - Zaccaria : Good / Not the best Zac
Stern Dracula - OK
Haunted House - OK (no better than that, I don't like that pin)
Taito Mr Black (Brazilian clone of Williams defender) : Best looking / scary backglass ever.

image-17.jpgimage-17.jpg image-16.jpgimage-16.jpg

#22 10 years ago

Yes Mr black is one sexy machine I hope to own one someday myself

#23 10 years ago

I've never even heard of Mr Black. That thing is killer!

Haunted House is one of my faves but it does get old after a while. Class of 1812 is cool. But, there is no beating Monster Bash.

#24 10 years ago

bally vampire !!! needs a mention !

#25 10 years ago

I think MB is too silly to even be called horror.

#27 10 years ago

I've owned several horror (or at least creepy) themed pins over the years; TAF, Mystery Castle, Mephisto, Freddy, MSF, Magic Castle, and BSD. Here's my thoughts about those....

TAF: Awesome theme and toys. Everything was integrated very well.

Mystery Castle: Great theme, awesome music and artwork, and fun ramps.

Mephisto: Great artwork and cool 80's video game type music/sound effects.

Freddy: Cool theme, but boring as heck.

MSF: Good rules and nice artwork.

Magic Castle: Neat backbox animation. The gameplay got old quick for me, and the computer-generated voice in the game is super annoying!

BSD: Great music, awesome callouts, and mist multiball is one of the coolest things ever.

I might as well at least mention one other very rare Spanish horror themed game that has eluded me for years: Terrific Lake. Some very cool artwork on this one! http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=terrific+lake&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

#28 10 years ago

For Monster (maybe not *horror*) themed pins my favorites are (in descending order)...

MB - Best of AFM, MM, MB trio IMHO
CFTBL - many people have never even gotten to video mode, super scoring or super creature feature
SS - Great all around - Monster Multiball is awesome (just realize it's NOT a wizard mode)
Metallica - music and monsters - they even have a "Monster Version"
T3 and T2 - I'd qualify these as very good Monster theme games too
BSD - kind of a one trick pony for simplicity (stack the MB) - but a good one

#29 10 years ago

stay away from Freddy!! not fun at all!!

#30 10 years ago

These are my opinions only so don't bother telling me I'm wrong because of some need to defend. (I still own the top

CFTBL - Great, lots of hidden fun. Hated it at first but now it is in my top 5 of all time.

MB - Great, straight forward fun play.

AFM - Great, fun, a few different things to do with levels of difficulty.

TZ - Great. Not a personal favorite, but I can see why people rate it high. Lots of different things to do.

EATPM - Good, solid system-11 (not deep) with humor

TAF - Good, fun with some different things to do

SS - Good, fun and funny but not deep at all. Not great in a small connection for price.

TFTC - Fair, one of the best DE games with a 6 ball multiball (But I am not big on DE or a 6 ball MB)

HH - Fair, classic older game with a cool mood. But a slow pace game. When new this was probably the game that hooked me on pinball.

MC - Fair, cool feel but kind of simple. I have not put a lot of time on one. I wish a friend owned one.

FREDDY ANOE - Poor, too easy and just not much there.

Frankenstein (MSF) - Poor, but I will admit not a lot of time. Most I played had something wrong and they didn't want to bother fixing. Nothing seen that made me want to play more.

Gorgar - Poor. Great in its day. But boring two days later.

#31 10 years ago

MSF, TFTC, CFTBL, BSD, TAF, and MB all fun machines with great gameplay. can't go wrong with any of those!

#32 10 years ago

My friend has a dark one it looks like Al Sharpton.

#33 10 years ago

Finally picked up a Scared Stiff today, and I love it way more than my Monster Bash lol. Amazing game and funny as hell.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from rockotaco1:

Finally picked up a Scared Stiff today, and it love it way more than my Monster Bash lol. Amazing game and funny as hell.

And ribbed

#35 10 years ago

Lighting, colouring, art....POTO all the way! Definitely not the deep game, but when that organ goes off through a sub...chills!!! To me, the most haunting pin of them all.

CFTBL is great. Again, not deep, but lots of hidden little gems in the game. The Holo is one of a kind.
SS is also very simple to understand and filled with great humor.

Not a fan of MSF, tried to play a BSD at MPE and it was out of order...TFTC looks cool from what I see....

#36 10 years ago

I may be the loner here, but TFTC is better than all of the above.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

He's a loner who doesn't agree with us! Let's throw stones at him!

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's actually a mode in MSF!

Quoted from o-din:

I love TFTC

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Bring it! Actually I'm getting used to it. I tend to like the alternative to the mainstream. But TFTC is a killer game!

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Bring it! Actually I'm getting used to it. I tend to like the alternative to the mainstream. But TFTC is a killer game!

TFTC FTW! What a revolting development!

#41 10 years ago

Indeed.

#42 10 years ago

I was wondering when you guys would get around to giving Tftc some love.

#43 10 years ago

TFTC is fangtastic!

#44 10 years ago

The Terrific Lake machine mentioned earlier is awesome. I probably won't ever see one but if I do I'll have to try to buy it. The artwork looks amazing. I love the cabinet too. Does anyone know anything about it? The infinite knowledge on the interwebs seems to fall short here....

#45 10 years ago

TFTC is superb. So much to do and so little time.

#46 10 years ago

Yeah put me down for a terrific lake game...matt let's do a euro group buy of a few of those and Mr blacks

#47 10 years ago

MSF is a great bang for the buck horror pin. I don't want to pump it up to much because I'm looking to replace the one I sold months ago.

#48 10 years ago

The way envision it, THC!

SS, CFBL, MB, TFTC, BSD, and Frank are all excellent imo as well.

#49 10 years ago

I'll also chime in that Frankenstein is very fun. It's a favorite of my guests, and when people come over it gets more play than the Spiderman it is sitting beside. The modes are fun (I like Graveyard the best,) the graphics on the big DMD are great, and I really like being able to choose either the movie soundtrack or rocking out to Edgar Winter's Frankenstein. (We heard the song on the radio one day and my husband was all "Wait... where do I know this song from...") It looks really good and a lot brighter/newer when lit up with LED.

#50 10 years ago

Bally Vampire.

A great pinball deck from Master Zale!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 49.99
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-horror-pins-are-goodgreat-and-which-are-averagedogs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.