(Topic ID: 160455)

Which has the better playfield replacement outcome: CPR vs. Restoration?

By Clnilsen

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Baiter
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which do you think has the better likely final result?”

• CPR 10 votes
    40%
  • Professional Restoration 15 votes
    60%

(25 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clnilsen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I have a moderately planked/worn play field on a D&D I just acquired, which is ok since it has given me an excuse to practice some touch up work without having to worry too much. I've pretty much got it looking like a nice player, and am happy with it in the short run.

I have a fairly good spare play field as well, and it was always my intention to get my spare play field professionally (or at least more professional than me!) restored/clearcoated. That said, while it hasn't been announced I understand CPR has artwork for the D&D and I'm hoping it in their long range plans.

What I'm trying to figure out is if it's worth waiting for a CPR that may eventually come (I'd very likely get a gold) or if I should not hold out and just start planning on a good resto?

My only real thoughts are so far on the pro-CPR side are given the number of inserts with text on them on this machine, it would be a challenge for someone as a restore, and on the pro-restore side not having to worry about dimples, etc. in the course of me doing the play field swap.

I'm curious to hear thoughts and experiences on both sides. Thanks!

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I've restored many 100s of playfields, and I always tell people, "If there is a CPR available, buy it"
It does not make much sense to pay $800-900 to restore a playfield that can be bought for $599 from CPR.
The CPR will look amazing with it's crystal clear inserts and bright colors and whites.
Some of the German made playfields are infamous for having their slings miss-dimpled, but if you know that is a problem, then double check your positioning before you mount your slings. If you already mounted them, then fill the holes with bamboo skewers and move the sling brackets back. No big deal.

Vid, I think your post speaks volumes, coming from a restorer. I'm not totally worried about the cost, but your comments on the colors really ring true. I don't think in general the later Bally playfields were made with he best of quality printing to being with. On the other side I'm concerned about the dimpling issue Forceflow mentions. Going to think on this over the summer and see what shakes out on the CPR news front before making a final decision.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Can you see yourself hanging onto your game for at least anothet 3 years?
I could see CPR maybe doing a boutique run of D&D, so it would be a long wait

This games not leaving

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clnilsen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-has-the-better-outcome-cpr-vs-restoration?tu=clnilsen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.