(Topic ID: 160455)

Which has the better playfield replacement outcome: CPR vs. Restoration?

By Clnilsen

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Baiter
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which do you think has the better likely final result?”

• CPR 10 votes
    40%
  • Professional Restoration 15 votes
    60%

(25 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 2 years ago

I have a moderately planked/worn play field on a D&D I just acquired, which is ok since it has given me an excuse to practice some touch up work without having to worry too much. I've pretty much got it looking like a nice player, and am happy with it in the short run.

I have a fairly good spare play field as well, and it was always my intention to get my spare play field professionally (or at least more professional than me!) restored/clearcoated. That said, while it hasn't been announced I understand CPR has artwork for the D&D and I'm hoping it in their long range plans.

What I'm trying to figure out is if it's worth waiting for a CPR that may eventually come (I'd very likely get a gold) or if I should not hold out and just start planning on a good resto?

My only real thoughts are so far on the pro-CPR side are given the number of inserts with text on them on this machine, it would be a challenge for someone as a restore, and on the pro-restore side not having to worry about dimples, etc. in the course of me doing the play field swap.

I'm curious to hear thoughts and experiences on both sides. Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

Really happy with my CPR in Mata Hari... and I sold the PF that came out (it was quite respectable shape) to offset some of the cost. I've also cleared my Firepower PF with Max2K automotive clear. It came out really nice but I don't have any artistic ability so I just cleared right over the imperfections (missing art). Firepower was easier because I only had to take apart the top half of the PF and the can of Max2K was only about $25. I borrowed a breather for the application but was still scared of the Max2K fumes.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

#3 2 years ago

both are good, but nothing beats the work of a pro restorer on an original pf.

#4 2 years ago

One word/name... Kruzman!

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

both are good, but nothing beats the work of a pro restorer on an original pf.

I don't have much first hand experience with this, but I've seen Whirlwind CPR playfields, and they are gorgeous. I have a professionally restored Whirlwind pf from Capt. Neo, and it's also gorgeous.

To me, there's something about having an all original playfield though. I might have to give the edge to a professional restorer as well, simply because of the quality of the clearcoat: It's thick, and perfectly flat--like a sheet of glass.

#6 2 years ago

My TZ playfield had minor planking, and I had Captain Neo restore it about 6 years ago, just before the TZ repro playfields were announced. I have since bought a couple of repro playfields; a CPR TOTAN, and a Mirco Scared Stiff. I haven't installed either of those, but I'm happier with the TZ. The reproductions have little things that bother me like places where thin lines didn't print well and spots, fuzzy edges on some of the artwork, etc. On the flip side, the inserts are clear and beautiful on the reproductions, so it's a close contest.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from herg:

clear and beautiful

That's a contradiction.
The original hazy inserts which distribute light evenly are much nicer than the "see the LEDs through the PF" clear inserts of modern pins.

My CV has clear Jackpot & Ring inserts now (after restoration) and it looked much better when you could not see the bulbs through them.

#8 2 years ago

Really depends on the original playfield and the one you get from CPR really. I've seen absolutely gorgeous CPR gold playfields that look just amazing, likely better than the originals in some ways (especially with a solid clear). However, I've seen a Neo restore on an Atari Superman playfield that was just beautiful as well. With original playfields, often made by different companies for any game, you still had registration and other issues. Just because it's original doesn't make it better. I'd say this is more of a case by case.

#9 2 years ago

Also, with the original all the holes on the bottom will be in the right places!

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Also, with the original all the holes on the bottom will be in the right places!

This is probably key.

When restoring and using the playfield that came in your game, you know that everything will fit correctly by using the original holes. With a reproduction, positions can be off slightly, dimples can be missing, issues with size/placement of shooter lane or trough cuts, etc. You will have to do a lot of test fitting and comparisons to your original playfield.

Recent example in a restoration thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-boob-tube-another-not-an-hep-afm-restoration/page/5#post-3126177

#11 2 years ago

I've restored many 100s of playfields, and I always tell people, "If there is a CPR available, buy it"

It does not make much sense to pay $800-900 to restore a playfield that can be bought for $599 from CPR.

The CPR will look amazing with it's crystal clear inserts and bright colors and whites.

Some of the German made playfields are infamous for having their slings miss-dimpled, but if you know that is a problem, then double check your positioning before you mount your slings. If you already mounted them, then fill the holes with bamboo skewers and move the sling brackets back. No big deal.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I've restored many 100s of playfields, and I always tell people, "If there is a CPR available, buy it"
It does not make much sense to pay $800-900 to restore a playfield that can be bought for $599 from CPR.
The CPR will look amazing with it's crystal clear inserts and bright colors and whites.
Some of the German made playfields are infamous for having their slings miss-dimpled, but if you know that is a problem, then double check your positioning before you mount your slings. If you already mounted them, then fill the holes with bamboo skewers and move the sling brackets back. No big deal.

Vid, I think your post speaks volumes, coming from a restorer. I'm not totally worried about the cost, but your comments on the colors really ring true. I don't think in general the later Bally playfields were made with he best of quality printing to being with. On the other side I'm concerned about the dimpling issue Forceflow mentions. Going to think on this over the summer and see what shakes out on the CPR news front before making a final decision.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

Really happy with my CPR in Mata Hari.

+1

CPR did a great job on the Mata Hari PF

I have a closet full of new CPR PFs, and 3 more on order. Plenty of work to keep me out of trouble for a while.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I've yet to buy a PF from CPR at that price.

$599 must have been a few years ago,

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

$599 must have been a few years ago,

Their bronze-grade playfields can be had for that much.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Space Shuttle, Joker Poker and SBM were all $599 last time I bought them.

I think only the ones with non-standard inserts or expensive licenses were more.

#17 2 years ago

I've only recently began buying from CPR...have gotten lucky in getting gold versions each time.

#18 2 years ago

Can you see yourself hanging onto your game for at least anothet 3 years?

I could see CPR maybe doing a boutique run of D&D, so it would be a long wait

#19 2 years ago

I think both are great options. I have done both and am grateful that they are both available. Brian at HSA does superb work and he is 90 minutes from my house. His work on my Lectronamo and Night Rider were superb. 20 years ago you had to find an NOS playfield and the only restorer I knew of at that time was Bill Davis. It's a great time to be a restorer/collector.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Can you see yourself hanging onto your game for at least anothet 3 years?
I could see CPR maybe doing a boutique run of D&D, so it would be a long wait

This games not leaving

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Space Shuttle, Joker Poker and SBM were all $599 last time I bought them.
I think only the ones with non-standard inserts or expensive licenses were more.

Looks like most games going forward are $699 and up (with a few older ones still at $599).

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Looks like most games going forward are $699 and up (with a few older ones still at $599).

Joker Poker is a resent release and it's $599

Meteor is an upcoming release and it's $599

Playfields with expensive licenses, expensive inserts, or small runs are going to cost more.

I'd rather pay $650 for the next run of Xenon, than spend 30 hours fixing up an old, yellowed one.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'd rather pay $650 for the next run of Xenon, than spend 30 hours fixing up an old, yellowed one.

You'll get no argument from me on buying new (whether at $599 or $799) vs restoring, I lack the skill and cannot imagine the time involved to restore a beat playfield.

#24 2 years ago

Playfield colors tend to diminish over the years, so while a restoration may be great, even necessary in many circumstances, CPR reproductions can, and frequently do, look better than a restored original based on colors alone.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 137.00
$ 13.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 399.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 27.50
$ 42.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 87.00
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 6,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside