Which Gottlieb S80 has the best scoring balance?

(Topic ID: 237863)

Which Gottlieb S80 has the best scoring balance?

By Pinasco

16 days ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Pinasco
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 16 days ago

Hi ! Although being a Bally Williams guy I have started thinking about adding a cool Gottlieb SyS80 to my super small lineup. But......one thing I really want to avoid is that random award/unbalanced scoring that would take away the fun when competing against guests or beating old high scored on improved skills...

Which Gottlieb sys 80 would You recommend and which not ?

Thanks for Your thoughts !

#2 16 days ago

I grew up with an Amazing Spiderman and I always thought the scoring was very fair. Great game and amazing artwork!

#3 16 days ago

None. System 80's are all junk. Move along, nothing to see here....

#4 12 days ago

Circus is pretty balanced with a lot to shoot at and very fun pin to play.

#5 11 days ago

Thanks for those titles. I will try to find and play them. Only downside; they are both widebodys (space demanding), but that wont be a deal stopper if the play is good.

#6 11 days ago

I like Black Hole. The head size is the same as any so being a widebody shouldn't be a great space problem. The thing is Black Hole is a heavy beast.

#7 11 days ago

Thanks Minnesota - from what I've seen on YTube Blackhole looks like a interesting playfield layout. You're absolutely right, I realize that most (all ? ) widebodys wont have a bigger total width than any normalsize backbox.....

The part of being a heavy game sounds a little scary. Gotta call in som extra muscles for this if it happens.

#8 11 days ago

Ailen Star is a great game

#9 11 days ago
    Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Well, yes. But, the OP was wanting a system80 machine with "balanced scoring". I don't know if Alien Star qualifies.

#10 11 days ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Well, yes. But, the OP was wanting a system80 machine with "balanced scoring". I don't know if Alien Star qualifies.

Hmmmm you are probably right, the spinner with multiball is definitely worth way more than anything else. Royal Flush Deluxe is another great system 80

#11 11 days ago

Besides, Alien Star is a very hard game to track down these days.

#12 11 days ago

She certainly isn't a looker but Genesis is great fun. Very well balanced, multiplier can get crazy but you have to earn it. There are great mods for this game now that actually turn it into a looker. Alternate Translite, clear ramps, innovative pops, etc.

#13 11 days ago

I agree with that. Both Hollywood Heat and Genesis are balanced and fun games.

#14 11 days ago

Robowar is one of my favorite games (if you can find one).

#15 10 days ago

Thanks for those titles guys- I will look into them.

Quoted from Frippertron:

Alternate Translite

I'm very glad to hear that . A really interesting playfield with a not-so-good-looking original backglass.

#16 9 days ago

Any interesting findings Pinasco?

#17 8 days ago

Gottlieb stuck with six-digit scoring some time after Williams and Bally had moved to seven. This doesn't however make them easy to rollover (with the exception of a REALLY good and lucky ball on Black Hole). You shouldn't have balance issues with any six-digit System 80.

#18 8 days ago

Frippertron

Quoted from Frippertron:

Any interesting findings Pinasco?

Thanks, yes- from what I read and see about the suggestions here; I would really want to try Hollywood Heat (awesome Miami Vice vibe there ) and also Genesis. Especially if there is a good alternative translite for that machine.

Additionally I would appreciate Your opinion on two other Gottlieb Sys 80's that I find neat: TX Sector and Diamond Lady. That last game feels like something you either love or hate instantly. I would really want to try it out sometime. Are they enjoyable also for "real" players, or do they suffer from that shallow gameplay that many say is typical for some Gottliebs, compared to Williams or Ballys from the 80´s ?

#19 7 days ago

Diamond Lady's scoring 'balance' could stand fifty feet away from a cliff and still fall off it.

#20 6 days ago

Good luck tracking down a TX Sector you can afford. It’s a hard game to find these days.

#21 5 days ago

With people looking for different games today the system 80 and 80A games might be a nice choice here.

Many odd titles that sometimes you can find for a good price still.
    Haunted house is an awesome game
    Black hole a close second
    But other games like timeline, panthera, Spider-Man, devils dare, volcano, and others are real sleepers here.
    There are some of the worst games ever made in this list also. 90 percent of 80B games are not good. Yeah, a few decent ones on there. Spring break, bad girls, should have never been made. But the 80 and 80A games are under loved IMO.

#22 5 days ago

System 80s are all six-digit display, 80As are all seven-digits, 80Bs are alphanumeric. Hollywood Heat was advertised as the first eight-digit scoring game - now ask yourself how balanced the scoring is likely to be that you'd want eight digits in 1986.

Monte Carlo boasts a 10 million point ramp shot. In early '87. HahahahahahahahahahahaNO.

#23 5 days ago
    Quoted from athens95:

With people looking for different games today the system 80 and 80A games might be a nice choice here.
    Many odd titles that sometimes you can find for a good price still.
    Haunted house is an awesome game
    Black hole a close second
    But other games like timeline, panthera, Spider-Man, devils dare, volcano, and others are real sleepers here.
    There are some of the worst games ever made in this list also. 90 percent of 80B games are not good. Yeah, a few decent ones on there. Spring break, bad girls, should have never been made. But the 80 and 80A games are under loved IMO.

IMO Bad Girls is an ok game with terrible PF and BG art. I've certainly played many that are worse.

#24 5 days ago
    Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Quoted from snyper2099:

Besides, Alien Star is a very hard game to track down these days.

Mine isn't going anywhere.....ever.

#25 5 days ago
    Quoted from athens95:

Spring break, bad girls, should have never been made.

bad girls is amazing. you just have to embrace the 80's cheese.

#26 5 days ago

I'm taking notes here, and I mean it !
    For me personally, even if gameplay is awesome and scoring balanced - there also has to be at least a bit of optical appeal to the game.
    For that reason I would have a hard time with the look of Devils Dare.

Bad Girls is a hard choice. It looks a little cheesy, but so does Hollywood Heat which I consider to be really cool. I wish I could explain it better......there is a fine line between bad and awesome....

Leaving the rarity of TX Sector aside - is the game itself good in the rules department ?

Thanks for the other names. I have to look into Panthera.

#27 5 days ago

Honestly, the 'rules' in TX Sector are pretty much irrelevant. You're playing the game for the flow and speed generated by the kicking targets, the novelty of making the ball 'teleport', the challenge of the drop targets and third flipper ramps, and the music - Gottlieb could really make a basic AY chip sing. If the real thing is anything at all like the Farsight version (and this has to be a positive if I'm holding up a game with Farsight's physics) then it'll just be a good fun fast game to have a blast with - the qualities that made TNA shine.

#28 3 days ago

Key to TX Sector is hurry-up play with the potential for big scores, but you have to build and earn them first. Your main shot isn't the flashing teleporters, it's the target at the top of the right spinner shot that will build up the power level quickest with the aid of a few pop bumper hits. High power level and quick teleport multipliers after each time the interlock drop is knocked down means big scores. Challenging, but not a deep game by any means.

#29 3 days ago

Sounds like TX is pretty fair then, regardless who the player is. The game itself looks like a million bucks and the sound is unbeatable. I know some folks have a real aversion towards the backglass- but I don´t think its that bad. Were I lucky enough to find one for a fair price I wouldnt let the backglass art break the deal. Worst case scenario is letting some printer guy make me a new alternative translite. Same goes for Genesis that was suggested earlier. Thanks for your thoughts EalaDubSid

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 35.00
    € 50.00
    Boards
    FLIPPROJETS
    $ 104.00
    $ 70.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 149.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 0.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside