(Topic ID: 210293)

Which gets your money first? Nice Topper or Premium Glass?

By delt31

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Premium Glass (Inv/PDI) OR Amazing Topper”

• Topper 29 votes
      21%
    • HD Glass 68 votes
      49%
    • Neither - Waste of Money! 43 votes
      31%

(140 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

31184 (resized).jpeg
    31182 (resized).jpeg
    #1 6 years ago

I have a decision to make - topper $220 shipped vs HD glass $250. I'm leaning towards glass but I'm a sucker for toppers. Generally the glass will be a little more expensive but not too much.

I'll stop kidding myself as I'll likely end up getting both BUT if you had to choose, which would you get?

#2 6 years ago

I personally think toppers are silly. Especially for what they cost. I would go for the upgraded glass. At least that has an affect on the way you enjoy the game because you can see the playfield much better. A topper you only look at when you're not playing. What's the point?

But in the end if I'm spending money to "upgrade" my game, I'd buy a colorDMD instead of either of those choices.

#3 6 years ago

What do you look at when you play pinball?

I like certain toppers too, but there's no contest between these and PDI glass for me.

#4 6 years ago

Toppers currently beating glass though ; )

#5 6 years ago

It’s a tough one. Toppers are really cool but you are looking at the playfield, not the top of the game. I wish I could afford both, but because I can’t, I’d just say go for the glass. My ceiling isn’t tall enough for toppers anyway.

#6 6 years ago

glass is my favorite upgrade as long as the lighting is good. My 2 favorite upgrades with topper being 3rd.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

glass is my favorite upgrade as long as the lighting is good. My 2 favorite upgrades with topper being 3rd.

what do you mean as long as the lighting is good? Isn't the glass going to make the glare better?

#8 6 years ago

What pin are you buying for??

#9 6 years ago

Alien - PDI. Potential for GB too.
    Topper - Tron.

#10 6 years ago

Glass; you look at that the entire time. It’s your primary interface with the game.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Alien - PDI. Potential for GB too.
    Topper - Tron.

I have PDI/invisiglass on all my games. GB was one of the ones that needed it the most.

#12 6 years ago

Go for it!!! You only live once!! Buy them all

#13 6 years ago

Only original stock toppers for me...go for the glass.

#14 6 years ago

Topper. My opinion glass looks great but still scratches and breaks all the same.

#15 6 years ago

I would never pay the price for PDI glass. I would also not spend a lot on a topper. I do like factor toppers and want them on my machines. Reasonably priced toppers are ok, I do have horns on my AC/DC but they were not expensive.

#16 6 years ago

neither
    i like thwt some of my games have toppers, but i dont want toppers for all of them
    invisiglass is good, has the benefit that you can use it in any game, but it is expensive

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Go for it!!! You only live once!! Buy them all

This!!

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I personally think toppers are silly. Especially for what they cost. I would go for the upgraded glass. At least that has an affect on the way you enjoy the game because you can see the playfield much better. A topper you only look at when you're not playing. What's the point?
    But in the end if i spending money to "upgrade" my game, I'd buy a colorDMD instead of either of those choices.

Could not have said that better myself. ColorDMD all the way over either of the subject accessories. Glass requires upkeep, and toppers come off as so gimmicky.

#19 6 years ago

Before I owned a cat it would've been glass, easily. Now that I own a cat, it's probably.....neither.

#20 6 years ago

I like my gameroom fairly dark, so glare really isn't an issue and I don't need PDI glass. That said, I think toppers add a lot of look to the overall game.

31182 (resized).jpeg31182 (resized).jpeg
    31184 (resized).jpeg31184 (resized).jpeg

#21 6 years ago

Glass for me. I have a couple of sheets right now, but I plan on getting more.

#22 6 years ago

ColorDMD.
    Shaker.
    Glass.
    Topper.

#23 6 years ago

After the AFMRLE topper the rest of them blow by comparison so I voted for the glass over the topper

#24 6 years ago

I have a list of must-buy mods when I get a new game... Flipper Fidelity speakers, LED OCD, BriteButtons, and speaker lights.

On to toppers... I love toppers. I think they round out the look of the game, as long as they are professional looking, i.e. Tilttopper, laseriffic, Stern, etc.

I’m not a big fan of PDI glass. I don’t see (pun) the value, but it seems like I’m in the minority.

Having said all that, ColorDMD (if available) is where the money goes first.

#25 6 years ago

Neither.

Pinsound and / or cliffies.

#26 6 years ago

Color DMD, Invisiglass, and Cliffy protectors is all one needs

Although the topper that came with me AFMRLE is pretty cool (its my only topper for the record)

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Before I owned a cat it would've been glass, easily. Now that I own a cat, it's probably.....neither.

Hahaha, we have 4 cats and I frame every pinball expense in terms of vet bills now. “$500 seems like a lot, but that’s less than one cat injury!”

#28 6 years ago

well I couldn't help myself and threw some money at a topper. Looks so damn good. I'm a sucker for those but I'm also someone who loves looking at pinballs machines (like furniture).

I'll prob end up buying a sheet of PDI to try it out. I guess I can always sell it if I don't think it's worth it.

#29 6 years ago

I'd go ColorDMD, external sub, shaker, Cliffys, and LED-OCD, before toppers and invisiglass.

#30 6 years ago

I would put external sub over everything. Huge diff. Forget the updated speaker kits - complete waste IMO. Get a polk 10 and you're good. I used to buy the kits - no more.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I would put external sub over everything. Huge diff. Forget the updated speaker kits - complete waste IMO. Get a polk 10 and you're good. I used to buy the kits - no more.

Agreed... polk sub is a must and the upgrade kits suck imo

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

neither
    i like thwt some of my games have toppers, but i dont want toppers for all of them
    invisiglass is good, has the benefit that you can use it in any game, but it is expensive

PDI is better in terms of lower reflectivity levels and you can buy in bulk direct from the European supplier. Invisi as proprietary product you are stuck with the local reseller markup.

I imported a crate load of PDI last year and have it as an optional extra for clients with any successful machine sale as a gesture of goodwill.

Regarding toppers, unless the machine is some poorly designed clunker, how many times are you going to look up at an overvalued aftermarket topper anyway whilst playing?

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

PDI is better in terms of lower reflectivity levels and you can buy in bulk direct from the European supplier. Invisi as proprietary product you are stuck with the local reseller markup.

Can you provide a link for the European supplier?

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from bbhenry2000:

Can you provide a link for the European supplier?

Not sure if he has a dedicated website and probably wouldn't want his personal contact details displayed on a public forum. Sorry.

PDI Glass Roman Germany with some googling should do the trick.

Note: pinballdecals inc is the distro for this glass (PDI get it) in the US (exclusive?) so not sure on how successful you are going to be with a bulk order.

One or two sheets isn't worth it with international shipping costs.

#35 6 years ago

Neither, I am too cheap to buy a $200 topper or a $250 sheet of glass. $400 Color DMD-are you crazy? I personally would rather have more machines instead of a bunch of mods. I would rather save up for another machine, and the funny thing is as time goes on I actually am starting to prefer my games to be completely stock and all original. I now look for non-modded games that are pristine when buying games. Complete turn around from when I first started collecting and all I could think about was how to mod my machine instead of just playing it and enjoying it.

Only mods that get my money are Cliffy's, shaker, Polk Sub, or LED's

#37 6 years ago

has anyone ever gone to a picture framing shop and see if they can do glass for a pinball as they seem to be able to supplier a museum glass (non-reflective) though not sure if it is toughened

might have to go to a local shop and see

#38 6 years ago

Toppers are silly.

#39 6 years ago

Glass, easy. On some games in my apartment it's hard to go back to them with normal glass.

#40 6 years ago

Toppers, really depends on the game. example GB the echo lights are top notch, they work during game play and attract mode, adds that extra special look to the game, esp since it’s coded to the game it’s a win win, aftermarket standard none interactive I’ll skip 100%.

I have Stern HD glass on my pins, looks great and reduces glare.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from akm:

Glass, easy. On some games in my apartment it's hard to go back to them with normal glass.

Yep - I REALLY noticed a difference with my newest games that had standard glass in them rather than PDI glass like my others.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

My cats are my toppers

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

I’m not a big fan of PDI glass. I don’t see (pun) the value, but it seems like I’m in the minority.

Its value is playability of the game: better sight tracking, less glare. Clear vision of the playfield.. A topper doesnt benefit a player, those are just for observers.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

A topper doesnt benefit a player, those are just for observers.

Same thing I find with Mirror Blades

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-gets-your-money-first-nice-topper-or-premium-glass?hl=guinnesstime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.