(Topic ID: 250925)

Which gas/propane soldering iron do you recommend?

By Pinballer73

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by advans13
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Have owned 2 gas/propane soldering irons over the years and both were extremely unreliable. If you own a good one that you use regularly without an issue, what sort is it?

#2 4 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ts80-battery-powered-soldering-iron-i-m-in-love#post-4933907

No need for fuel these days. One of these should be able to cover most of your needs. Sounds like a solid product and will be making it's way into the toolbox eventually.

#3 4 years ago

I bought the Portasol awhile ago. I've used it a couple of times, it was great, but I haven't used it since I first got it. I kinda wish I went with the cordless Milwauke. All my cordless tools are Bosch. They are fantastic, but Milwauke seems to have a much better variety of tools. It's one thing to leave a soldering iron on a stand for a few minutes while I deal with some crisis with the kids upstairs, open burning flame, not so much. I'm sure that thread you linked will cost me some money.

#4 4 years ago

What will you use it for? Soldering coils and switches? I like a soldering gun for field repairs. They’re cheap, very reliable and get hot as fast as a butane iron. Field board repairs? I take a Weller soldering station. Butane irons are not very durable when being banged around in a tool bag. If I were going to buy another, I’d get a Master Appliance. I used that when I was a young man doing high end pro audio installs. They have the best temp regulator of all the butane irons. The MA probably costs double of a weller pyropen but it’s a noticeable difference.

#5 4 years ago

I have had a gas Weller for years I don't think I've used it more than a couple times, I don't find it a go to item. For playfield soldering it's a corded Fx601, for boards it's a PACE station.

Had also used a simple Nicad powered unit at work , OK for a couple smaller gauge wires. And that is the same with the Milwaukee battery unit from the you tube vids I saw it's pretty shit at any high terminal mass soldering, which was very disappointing.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

What will you use it for? Soldering coils and switches? I like a soldering gun for field repairs. They’re cheap, very reliable and get hot as fast as a butane iron. Field board repairs? I take a Weller soldering station. Butane irons are not very durable when being banged around in a tool bag. If I were going to buy another, I’d get a Master Appliance. I used that when I was a young man doing high end pro audio installs. They have the best temp regulator of all the butane irons. The MA probably costs double of a weller pyropen but it’s a noticeable difference.

Good questions. Currently I have a PACE soldering station, a separate desoldering station also by PACE and a HAKKO desoldering gun for all my board and bench type repairs. I'm looking for a reliable cordless iron specifically for repairs under the playfield, for jobs such as replacing coils and other parts without the restriction of a cord. Something that will provide reliable operation and sufficient heat when replacing a coil. Hoping others have found a good iron that they recommend.

#7 4 years ago

They make a lot of “digital programmable” cordless irons now that id much rather have than a gas iron.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-gas-propane-soldering-iron-do-you-recommend?hl=ryanbrooks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.