Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PanzerFreak
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Been looking to add a few more games to the collection. I have a Simpsons and LOTR, but haven't tried any of the newer Stern games. Which games have the deepest rule sets?

#3 4 years ago

X-men is pretty deep

#4 4 years ago

Not a fan but would definitely have to agree it's close to the top if not the top. I'd still have to go with the Simpsons.

#5 4 years ago

I'm not an expert but I wonder what others would think?

Currently being manufacturered:
1)AC/DC
2)MET
3)ST
4)Mustang
5)TWD
6)IMv

Not being manufactured in random order:
XM
SM
Tron
POTC

#6 4 years ago

AC/DC and likely MET.

#7 4 years ago

Hmm good question. I'm curious too

#8 4 years ago

go here ... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deepest-rules

read, summarize and report back....

Considering the focus of Stebel's question was modern Sterns, from deepest to less deep I'd list these six - TSPP, LOTR, X-MEN, FGY, WPT & ACDC

#9 4 years ago

TZ has to be mentioned too, no?

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

TZ has to be mentioned too, no?

The question is regarding Stern pins.

#11 4 years ago

pins with software from Keith Johnson

#13 4 years ago

Deep is a confusing word now with games like ACDC. TSPP, WPT, LOTR, all are described by "deep" as the classic term sort of describes games that have long journeys. ACDC is different, and is maybe better described as complicated as opposed to deep, such as with xmen.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Deep is a confusing word now with games like ACDC. TSPP, WPT, LOTR, all are described by "deep" as the classic term sort of describes games that have long journeys. ACDC is different, and is maybe better described as complicated as opposed to deep, such as with xmen.

I would not classify ACDC as deep in that sense either. LOTR, TSPP, WPT, RBION, XMEN, WOZ are all classically deep. Lots to do in those. ACDC has 'lots to do', but it all feels the same. Build up the jackpot, choose when to collect...rinse, repeat.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I would not classify ACDC as deep in that sense either. LOTR, TSPP, WPT, RBION, XMEN, WOZ are all classically deep. Lots to do in those. ACDC has 'lots to do', but it all feels the same. Build up the jackpot, choose when to collect...rinse, repeat.

I agree about ACDC. I don't consider it nearly as deep as say WOZ or LOTR as the rule structure is completely different and tends to focus more on points rather then going through a story based ruleset. The way to score points in ACDC and collect jackpots is complex but the "modes" (songs) are no where near as interesting (still fun!) or unique as those in LOTR or WOZ in my opinion.

The games that I find to be the deepest typically have one or more of the following qualities.

1. Story based, makes you feel like you are on a quest (LOTR, WOZ, STTNG, ST, XMEN, etc)
2. When you complete a mission once you can play it again but the rules change to make it more difficult (Stern ST)
3. Completing a certain set of objectives leads to a mid wizard mode (WOZ and LOTR off the top of my head with Battle the Wicked Witch and Destroy The Ring)
4. Beating missions offer the chance for a player to collect a reward (LOTR)
5. Offers a final wizard mode

The biggest difference between a points based game and mission based game I find is that the mission ones require a unique set of shots (work the playfield) to be made to complete a mission whereas points based games are just about hitting the same loops or orbit shots again again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside