(Topic ID: 175378)

Which Games have the Best or Worst Spinner Sounds?

By Fytr

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by EchoVictor
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5550 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

For many of us, one of the best things in pinball is ripping a spinner that has a rewarding sound effect!

It would be interesting to get everyone's opinions on which games they think have either one of the "Best" or "Worst" spinner sounds, and why.

For purposes of this discussion, I consider:

Best = dynamic, exciting / energizing, satisfying
Worst = lame/boring, unsatisfying, or annoying

I'll start us off with:

Best = Black Knight - A lit BK spinner is one of my favorite sounds in pinball, especially when you wrap it over the top of the high frequencies back down to the low in one shot. Never gets old! Love those old 80's Williams algorithmic sound effects!

Worst = Ripley's Believe It or Not! - Annoying one-dimensional spinner sound that grates on my nerves, such a missed opportunity, I avoid hitting it.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from BigBangBack:

Class of 1812 has the obnoxious teeth chatter laugh on the spinner. Man that game is just awful

Hey! I used to own that game... I actually liked the teeth chattering from the spinner, so surprising if you haven't played it.

I get why it's not for everyone though.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Flash Gordon is up there, in a big way.

I need to finish putting the playfield back together on my FG (recently had an overlay applied) so I can play it! Sooo looking forward to it!

#45 7 years ago

It's pretty interesting that the most "Best" mentions so far are for older early SS and EM games. I think it's due to the dynamic nature of the early SS algorithmic sounds, vs just repeating the same digital sample in more modern games, and possibly to the fact the spinners were major gameplay elements in those games vs their often reduced role in more complex newer games.

I wish modern games would make more of an effort to make the spinner sounds more dynamic so it's not just the same sound repeated, same pitch, etc. everytime. I think guys like David Thiel are starting to leverage more powerful sound hw on current games to make the sounds much more dynamic, though I haven't had much first-hand experience with his work to comment on how successful he has been. Anyone experienced his work first-hand? Are the spinner sounds dynamic and awesome?

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Worst: JM - no sound at all....

Seriously?? I've played it and never noticed that!

That's a friggin' pinball crime! Might as well forget to put the ball in the game...

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I would agree on the repeated recorded sounds but then again isn't that all an EM is, in the end? And EMs definitely have the best spinner 'sound' of all, even the fake reels on early williams SS can't compare somehow

I guess it probably depends on the overall soundscape/aural context in the game. If a game only plays bell sounds, a really fast bell sound is super cool!

But if a game is a barraging you with a storm of interesting sounds all the time, hard for the spinner to standout, even if it on its own it sounds good (F-14?).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
PinSound

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 22.50
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-games-have-the-best-or-worst-spinner-sounds?tu=fytr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.