(Topic ID: 175378)

Which Games have the Best or Worst Spinner Sounds?

By Fytr

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by amendes
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5550 (resized).JPG

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

For many of us, one of the best things in pinball is ripping a spinner that has a rewarding sound effect!

It would be interesting to get everyone's opinions on which games they think have either one of the "Best" or "Worst" spinner sounds, and why.

For purposes of this discussion, I consider:

Best = dynamic, exciting / energizing, satisfying
Worst = lame/boring, unsatisfying, or annoying

I'll start us off with:

Best = Black Knight - A lit BK spinner is one of my favorite sounds in pinball, especially when you wrap it over the top of the high frequencies back down to the low in one shot. Never gets old! Love those old 80's Williams algorithmic sound effects!

Worst = Ripley's Believe It or Not! - Annoying one-dimensional spinner sound that grates on my nerves, such a missed opportunity, I avoid hitting it.

#2 2 years ago

Best: Any EM game with a spinner.

#3 2 years ago

I need to say Sorcerer as the best one.

Mike V

#4 2 years ago

Flash Gordon is up there, in a big way.

#5 2 years ago

Firepower

#6 2 years ago

Worst spinner sound goes to Last Action Hero

#7 2 years ago

Class of 1812 has the obnoxious teeth chatter laugh on the spinner. Man that game is just awful

#8 2 years ago

Come on!! Mystic.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I used to nail all three spinners on my Hokus Pokus. What a blast. Thanks...now I miss it.

#10 2 years ago

Wizard! had the best I've heard. Rat a tat tat

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from BigBangBack:

Class of 1812 has the obnoxious teeth chatter laugh on the spinner. Man that game is just awful

Hey! I used to own that game... I actually liked the teeth chattering from the spinner, so surprising if you haven't played it.

I get why it's not for everyone though.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Flash Gordon is up there, in a big way.

I need to finish putting the playfield back together on my FG (recently had an overlay applied) so I can play it! Sooo looking forward to it!

#13 2 years ago

Love the Bass Drum spinners on Metallic Premium/LE!!!

#14 2 years ago

I like Paragon spinner noise

#15 2 years ago

Best = Sorcerer. To me the spinner sounds like electricity/energy running thru the game. That's the first one, there are actually two distinct spinner sound fx in Sorcerer, the second sounds very Firepower-ish.

Second Best = Blackout.

Worst = Fathom. Great game, absolutely pointless spinner sound.

#16 2 years ago

Fun Park. Real bells.

#17 2 years ago

Best: tron during switch frenzy

#18 2 years ago

Hokus Pokus- Three ripable spinners with Bally chimes.

#19 2 years ago

I wish there was a spinner with the sound of a maxed bonus collect on Blackout

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

Worst spinner sound goes to Last Action Hero

Yes. Truly awful.

#21 2 years ago

Firepower when the spinner is lit and you hit it just right the sound is awesome.

#22 2 years ago

Eight Ball Champ when it's lit for 5000 is a cool sounding spinner.

#23 2 years ago

Going with old Stern:

Good = Star Gazer
Bad = Lightning

Ron...

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I used to nail all three spinners on my Hokus Pokus. What a blast. Thanks...now I miss it.

Quoted from o-din:

Hokus Pokus- Three ripable spinners with Bally chimes.

Beat you to that in Post #9.

#25 2 years ago

Notable mention to Transformers when you get the spinner lit.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Second post nailed it.

I got to say I love both Ripley's and LAH's spinners. I hate the sound of the idols more on Ripley's. LAH is like an FU to the player because you missed the scoop and I think the animation is funny.

#27 2 years ago

I know this is a comment about a custom sound but a clever pinsider did custom sounds to an Amazing Spiderman and was real impressed with the spinner effect as has shooting web sound. post 153

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/custom-sounds/page/4

#28 2 years ago

I love the spinner sound on Bride of Pinbot.

#29 2 years ago

The spinner sounds on Laser War by Data East seem to fit the theme perfectly, so far they're my favorite.

#30 2 years ago

NGG, a spinner each side of the orbit,love making them sing.

#31 2 years ago

STTNG during warp 6

#32 2 years ago

Snow Derby (2" flippers)
When you start nailing both spinners, and the geometry keeps rewarding you by bringing the ball back for more...it's the satisfying sound of achievement

#33 2 years ago

There is GREAT sound on a lit Quicksilver spin (especially if you have it tweaked that it will spin for days)

#34 2 years ago

Not even sure why as it's rather simple, but I love the spinner sound on Monster Bash.

#35 2 years ago

MB has great spinner sounds

#36 2 years ago

Worst: Blackout with its progressively annoying sound. When it stops on the highest pitch sound and you have to hit the spinner again to make it stop.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Worst: Blackout with its progressively annoying sound. When it stops on the highest pitch sound and you have to hit the spinner again to make it stop.

Love games with those sounds

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from MeNaCeFiRe:

There is GREAT sound on a lit Quicksilver spin (especially if you have it tweaked that it will spin for days)

Most people never hear the sound of the lit spinner slowing down while the non-lit spinner is ripping. Pretty cool.

#39 2 years ago

Black Knight when lit for 2500 per spin!

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Black Knight when lit for 2500 per spin!

Isn't it the same sound even if it's not lit? (although it definitely 'sounds' better when it is lit.... )

Nothing quite like whacking that spinner off the right magna save and then slamming the ball around the loop into the lock to start multiball...

#41 2 years ago

Spiderman during Bonesaw

Ron...

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Isn't it the same sound even if it's not lit? (although it definitely 'sounds' better when it is lit.... )

I'm pretty sure it's a different sound! Only one way to be sure... I'll fire my BK up when i get home later and get some games in!

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Eight Ball Champ when it's lit for 5000 is a cool sounding spinner.

Only got there once but thought it was so cool. Is it me or is that a lot of work to get that 5000 lit?

#44 2 years ago

Best Seawitch, Meteor, Flash Gordon

I cant think of a bad. I like spinners!!

#45 2 years ago

It's pretty interesting that the most "Best" mentions so far are for older early SS and EM games. I think it's due to the dynamic nature of the early SS algorithmic sounds, vs just repeating the same digital sample in more modern games, and possibly to the fact the spinners were major gameplay elements in those games vs their often reduced role in more complex newer games.

I wish modern games would make more of an effort to make the spinner sounds more dynamic so it's not just the same sound repeated, same pitch, etc. everytime. I think guys like David Thiel are starting to leverage more powerful sound hw on current games to make the sounds much more dynamic, though I haven't had much first-hand experience with his work to comment on how successful he has been. Anyone experienced his work first-hand? Are the spinner sounds dynamic and awesome?

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

It's pretty interesting that the most "Best" mentions so far are for older early SS and EM games. I think it's due to the dynamic nature of the early SS algorithmic sounds, vs just repeating the same digital sample in more modern games, and possibly to the fact the spinners were major gameplay elements in those games vs their often reduced role in more complex newer games.
I wish modern games would make more of an effort to make the spinner sounds more dynamic so it's not just the same sound repeated, same pitch, etc. everytime. I think guys like David Thiel are starting to leverage more powerful sound hw on current games to make the sounds much more dynamic, though I haven't had much first-hand experience with his work to comment on how successful he has been. Anyone experienced his work first-hand? Are the spinner sounds dynamic and awesome?

I would agree on the repeated recorded sounds but then again isn't that all an EM is, in the end? And EMs definitely have the best spinner 'sound' of all, even the fake reels on early williams SS can't compare somehow

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I would agree on the repeated recorded sounds but then again isn't that all an EM is, in the end?

Nope. They aren't recorded. They are live.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Nope. They aren't recorded. They are live.

But they're the same sound every time, just a repetitive clicking. Yet somehow they sound good

#49 2 years ago

You don't hear the clicking when the are hooked up to chimes, or better yet bells.

#50 2 years ago

Worst: JM - no sound at all....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Thorndale, PA
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside