Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 154 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by beelzeboob
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

prince-valium1.jpg
    kleenex-facial-tissue-21400.jpg
    valium.jpg
    20150107_235032r.jpg
    20150106_215340w.jpg
    BITE_YOU_by_Human_Opium1.jpg

There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 9 years ago

If you are buying a BBB money is not a issue and if it is you should not be buying a BBB. I have not heard the price for PC what is it? ARM MB take a chance low number games may get remade but chance to buy are few and far between right now.

#102 9 years ago

I don't look at having pins as owning them or as an investment. To me, having a pin is more like renting, except paying the rental fee when it gets returned back to the market.

#103 9 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Please return to the fascinating speculation about whether you won't buy Wrestlemania, or whether you really wouldn't ever, ever buy it.

Ok I will get right on that! and you can please return to licking your wounds after your failed MM "Pinvestment"

Quoted from Russell:

I'll admit, my opinion is affected by the fact that I bought a MM about 3 months before the remake was announced. Just sold it a few months back for 1/2 of what I paid. Hopefully, I won't be making that mistake again.

#104 9 years ago

The pin market is impossible to predict and will have ups and downs. If you were smart you would Dollar Cost Average and buy one pin a month and ride out the ups and downs of the pinball market.

Who knows how well you will do, but in a few years you will have a kick ass game room for sure!

#105 9 years ago

Not sure why you guys are harping on the OP about "investing in pins". Clearly from the background he posted he took a serious bath on a game because he was unaware of the potential remakes. This is a little different then a game slowly declining in price or the hit you take for opening a NIB. None of us want to sell a game and lose not just some "rental fee" type cash, but upwards of $5000+. So it seems to me like a real pertinent question to ask which games might you lose big money on if you buy them now.

I have always bought project games and fix them up so I usually break even or come out ahead when I want to get rid of them. I did buy my AC/DC NIB with no intentions of ever selling it and if I do I know that it'll be for less than I paid for it. That being said, yes buy them as toys and the fact that you might be able to recoup 80% or better of the purchase price on them when you want to swap them out is a bonus. Can't think of any other hobby where you can so efficiently recycle your cash from purchase to purchase.

#106 9 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

So it seems to me like a real pertinent question to ask which games might you lose big money on if you buy them now.

Anything NIB. Just like driving a brand new car off the lot. Also anything that costs more than 5k. Is there really any machine worth that much? Inquiring minds want to know. I have done both.

Or to simplify- if you are spending more than $5000 on a pinball machine, don't hold your breath that you will ever get it all back.

There are exceptions to almost every rule, but if you are worried about it, it may not be worth the risk.

#107 9 years ago

BITE_YOU_by_Human_Opium1.jpgBITE_YOU_by_Human_Opium1.jpg
    #108 9 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

I'll give you three games that I think are up or at worst steady: 1. Congo (if you can find one), 2. The Shadow. 2-3K 90's B games have remained steady and seem to be super hard to come by. The third is TAF. This is odd because it's a W/B A Lister and most of the others have cooled off a bit, price-wise.

I disagree on TAF. TAF was selling for 5-6 k on a regular basis. now they seem to hover around the 4k range. Congo was getting 3500ish, and now around the 2500 range. Shadows are tough to move at 3k anymore. Higher priced games have taken the bigger hits. Games that arn't effected as much by the decrease would be games like BBB and such.

#109 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I disagree on TAF. TAF was selling for 5-6 k on a regular basis. now they seem to hover around the 4k range. Congo was getting 3500ish, and now around the 2500 range. Shadows are tough to move at 3k anymore. Higher priced games have taken the bigger hits. Games that arn't effected as much by the decrease would be games like BBB and such.

sorry, i just haven't seen this. when i was searching for my first game in 2012, a decent TAF was a $3000 game, and i almost pulled the trigger on one for $3500. seriously doubt i could find one for that these days, other than a players game in need of a good shop job, or some widow that didn't know what they had. similarly, the asking price for a nice STTNG has gone up from about $3500 to around $4500 over that timespan. Most games i pay attention to (because i like them or am interested in them) are more expensive now than they were in 2012. generally i'm talking about 90s B/W titles, not NiB games or old SS or EM pins. the only 90s B/W games that have certainly declined in value in the last two years are the ones short-listed for being remade -- MM, MB, AFM, BBB (by the way, it's utterly absurd that people in this thread are denying those titles have declined). maybe the older games you tend to deal in have declined as well, i don't really follow those games very closely.

but i can say for certain games like TAF, TOM, TOTAN, STTNG, WH20, Scared Stiff ... the prices being asked for these games are all the same or higher than when i first started looking for games 2 years ago. i know because those are the games i was looking for, damn near memorizing the mr. pinball and pinside marketplaces.

#110 9 years ago

Judge Dredd is an $1800 game folks! No decline here.

#111 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

sorry, i just haven't seen this. when i was searching for my first game in 2012, a decent TAF was a $3000 game, and i almost pulled the trigger on one for $3500. seriously doubt i could find one for that these days, other than a players game in need of a good shop job, or some widow that didn't know what they had. similarly, the asking price for a nice STTNG has gone up from about $3500 to around $4500 over that timespan. Most games i pay attention to (because i like them or am interested in them) are more expensive now than they were in 2012. generally i'm talking about 90s B/W titles, not NiB games or old SS or EM pins. the only 90s B/W games that have certainly declined in value in the last two years are the ones short-listed for being remade -- MM, MB, AFM, BBB (by the way, it's utterly absurd that people in this thread are denying those titles have declined). maybe the older games you tend to deal in have declined as well, i don't really follow those games very closely.
    but i can say for certain games like TAF, TOM, TOTAN, STTNG, WH20, Scared Stiff ... the prices being asked for these games are all the same or higher than when i first started looking for games 2 years ago. i know because those are the games i was looking for, damn near memorizing the mr. pinball and pinside marketplaces.

I disagree because 2 years ago is when I sold my stuff for stupid ass money. And I mean stupid.

TAF 6k Dirty unshopped
    TZ 6k Faded on one side, few tasteful mods, nice playing nice game overall.
    TOTAN 7.5k Great shape, unfaded original cab
    CV 8.5k Great shape all around with custom5 color neon and skinny ringmaster
    GNR 5.5 k near perfect example
    Tommy 5k Mint everywhere and played better than any tommy I have ever owned.

All of those games you can find 2k cheaper or more now.

#112 9 years ago

well congrats .. i don't think a lot of people would have looked twice at a dirty TAF for $6k. my first pin, around the same time, was very nearly a nice TAF for $3500.

#113 9 years ago

If MM,MB, AFM, etc are cheaper now with the possibility of remake then so is TZ, TAF, IJ, Tron, High Speed etc.

There is a limited pool of suckers like us to buy these games and if I can now afford an AFM, then the Tron I wanted has one less person driving up the price.

The reason prices are so soft is that everyone is waiting for PPS to put another game into play (or Stern with another vault edition) that either they want or that will drive the game they want down to their price point.

#114 9 years ago
    Quoted from KJL:

If MM,MB, AFM, etc are cheaper now with the possibility of remake then so is TZ, TAF, IJ, Tron, High Speed etc.
    There is a limited pool of suckers like us to buy these games and if I can now afford an AFM, then the Tron I wanted has one less person driving up the price.
    The reason prices are so soft is that everyone is waiting for PPS to put another game into play (or Stern with another vault edition) that either they want or that will drive the game they want down to their price point.

While I kinda agree with you, no way TZ or IJ get remade, or High Speed. Stern games are a different issue but honestly if the game isn't currently selling for $5.5-6K, why would anyone remake it? It doesn't make any sense.

#115 9 years ago

In the end you can't ask how much money will one lose over the next few years on their purchases without getting flamed a bit. I have seen one Pinsiders collection of roughly 30 pins. His avg. pin is probably 6k. If they all dropped in value over the next few years by even 1k each, I'm sure he and others like him would shit themselves,so to speculate this type of stuff to the very people who paid dearly for them is like trying to scare the know what out of them on purpose.
    But fortunately for most people here, this thread has been hashed and rehashed many times, so no surprises, revelations or new speculations can be had here.

#116 9 years ago

Ebb and flow, up and down, high and low - like everything else timing is everything (remakes or not)

EDIT: and luck

#117 9 years ago

Williams zip-a-doo

Gonna fall hard in 2015

Nuff said

#118 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

well congrats .. i don't think a lot of people would have looked twice at a dirty TAF for $6k. my first pin, around the same time, was very nearly a nice TAF for $3500.

Now no. LIke I said, 2 years ago, crap was selling for unreal prices. And constantly. People on here were losing their minds. That's why I said things have been heading back to normal before the flood of stupidity. That was a good deal during those times.

#119 9 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Not sure who owns the remake rights to that game. Definitely a game I wouldn't be buying right now either way. It's on the list!
    MM, AFM, MB, LOTR, Tron, CC, BBB, PC, KP

Well, I couldn't disagree with you more. All the titles that are Williams titles may never get made no matter what PPS say's. They can't even get out MMRM out. Plus, there are many many more factors at play than someone saying I own the "Williams World". Watch me roar. MB, CFTBL and theses type of titles will be much harder to do. I could see AFM, TOM maybe but when you have to rely on so many other people or companies to manufacture your product and that really ties your hands. Especially when theses people put out the same type of product you do, it could be rough. IMO

#120 9 years ago

Blah Blah Blah. Don't sell them then...simple, problem solved.

I've sold all kinds of pins, a boat, guitars etc... at losses. I had my fun with them, and it's an entertainment EXPENSE. Get it through your heads. It's not an investment, period. Expect to lose money. Even expect to lose a lot of money. If you break even that is fabulous. Making money, ridiculously fabulous. I get tired of the whining about pins losing money. Take a vacation, it's the same thing: Entertainment. Then see if you break even.

Off soapbox.

#121 9 years ago

It amazes me how these threads always seem to devolve into some people being portrayed as greedy speculators who think nothing of the hobby except as an investment, and then the rest all pretending like they would never sully the hobby by profiting from it.

As usual, the truth lies somewhere in the middle, which is where I believe the vast majority of us live, especially those who have been in it for a long time. One of the great appeals of the hobby has been that you aren't throwing your money into the toilet, if a game turns out to not be what you thought it was, or you have an emergency and have to sell it, chances are good you won't lose you shirt, isn't that a good thing?

#122 9 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

It amazes me how these threads always seem to devolve into some people being portrayed as greedy speculators who think nothing of the hobby except as an investment, and then the rest all pretending like they would never sully the hobby by profiting from it.
    As usual, the truth lies somewhere in the middle, which is where I believe the vast majority of us live, especially those who have been in it for a long time. One of the great appeals of the hobby has been that you aren't throwing your money into the toilet, if a game turns out to not be what you thought it was, or you have an emergency and have to sell it, chances are good you won't lose you shirt, isn't that a good thing?

Totally agree… everyone (YES EVERYONE!) wants their pins to hold or increase in value some just won't admit it. In fact they will state the opposite. They some how think that makes them appear as something special in this hobby when in reality its just plain dumb.

#123 9 years ago

I am no expert but I would think that machine options determine value at the end of the day (a side note to recognize condition). If you have 2 80's machines of approximately the same level of wear/use the one with the best features should be more valuable. e.g. if it has multi-ball or not (or theme if it's popular). Also have to consider the nostalgia factor.
    As people get older I really don't see much of a market for woodrails for an example. As there's less people around who hold the nostalgia factor (that are willing to shell out for a machine) the only reason to buy up one would be a great theme/art or in the hopes that it will provide profit when sold down the road at a later time.
    Still, if I had to choose a woodrail or a machine with ramps or multi-ball (for the same cost) I am going to get the machine that provides the most excitement for my dollar.
    That being said I may consider a Spin Out just because it fits my current auto theme my collection currently has (if i can get one cheap as I am not overly fond of EM repair).

At the end of the day I have to consider it a hobby and not my 401K

#124 9 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

chances are good you won't lose you shirt, isn't that a good thing?

Sure it is. But, there just seems to be way too much focus on the money - at least out here on Pinside. I've bought Japanese and Mexican made guitars over American made guitars because they were enjoyable to play, even though the American ones hold or increase value. When I've sold a pin or a guitar at a loss, I've paid my entertainment expense for using it. If it is a pin that I have saved from the grave, not only have made the buyer happy, in a way I've also enriched the pinball community.

Quoted from teekee:

Totally agree… everyone (YES EVERYONE!) wants their pins to hold or increase in value some just won't admit it. In fact they will state the opposite. They some how think that makes them appear as something special in this hobby when in reality its just plain dumb.

When I go to buy a pin, what I might sell it for later is absolutely not even on my radar when I buy it. I look at the enjoyment I get out of fixing, restoring, learning about it, admiring its art, and playing it. I guess that makes me "just plain dumb".

#125 9 years ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

As people get older I really don't see much of a market for woodrails for an example. As there's less people around who hold the nostalgia factor (that are willing to shell out for a machine) the only reason to buy up one would be a great theme/art or in the hopes that it will provide profit when sold down the road at a later time.

I just bought a woodrail recently. A real turd too. Nobody in their right mind would buy the game I did in its condition for $150. Nor would many spend what I intend to spend in time or labor to bring this game back to life. It's not a desirable title to collectors. It holds no real nostalgia value for me because it was made and gone long before I was born. I will lose my ass on it if I go to sell it ever. You know what? I don't give a rats ass because money is not what I'm in this hobby for.

I should drain this topic, but you all keep drawing me in.

#126 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

When I go to buy a pin, what I might sell it for later is absolutely not even on my radar when I buy it. I look at the enjoyment I get out of fixing, restoring, learning about it, admiring its art, and playing it. I guess that makes me "just plain dumb".

Never said that… read my statement again.

Not saying that is a big factor when buying a pin for you but I'm sure you want your pins to hold or gain value, right?

And it doesn't make someone greedy if they DO factor in resell value when buying or owning a pin. It doesn't mean you're buying a pin as an INVESTMENT if you're worried about whether the value will drop. Some people just have to be smart with their money that's all.

#127 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it will take a bit, because i'm having trouble finding the mechs for aladdins castle tokens. I need WPC style as well as the metal old school versions for my zacs.

I made "mechless" mechs for my games using acrylic. They are just a block that lets any coin pass through. They were a good bit of work to make, though.

I would love to see someone make something similar for sale, maybe using a 3D printer, but I suspect the cost would end up way too high. At one point there was a guy making them out of bent metal, but they were something like $20 each.

#128 9 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Hobbies cost money. Most things that bring you joy cost money. If you can manage to get your money back, great. But that shouldn't be why you buy a pin in the first place.

#129 9 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Never said that… read my statement again.
    Not saying that is a big factor when buying a pin for you but I'm sure you want your pins to hold or gain value, right?
    And it doesn't make someone greedy if they DO factor in resell value when buying or owning a pin. It doesn't mean you're buying a pin as an INVESTMENT if you're worried about whether the value will drop. Some people just have to be smart with their money that's all.

I read your statement again, Teekee, and I believe I fully understand it...and if you read the context of my posts, I basically said it is all well and good if your pin maintains its monetary value. I never said anything about accusing anyone of being greedy if that happens, either. I just don't even think about the resale value of entertainment items when I purchase them, and I won't consider a poor resale value as anything that would stop me from purchasing an entertainment expense item that I wanted. I go into it with the mentality that it might be gone all the way to last dollar in the end. Maybe that's just me, but I think there might be others that feel that way too.

#130 9 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Actually in an ideal world all of my pins will double in value and all the ones I don't own but would like to own will be cut in half in value overnight

Reality is that in the past 12 months the high end market has tanked, the LE (but not really limited) NIB and HUO market has tanked. The entry level market has held steady and some titles (more rare gems mainly) has increased. I actually think this is largely why the butthurt is so strong on Pinside lately. There are LOTS of newer Stern owners among the pinside ranks and those LEs have taken the biggest hit in the past 12 months. Many of these people are having to reevalute what the hobby means and does for them. They enjoyed the quick flips from a few years ago and the ability to buy and then sell a few months later at sometimes a profit and other times only a minimal loss. It was fun for many to be the guy with the newest pin out but now that ownership comes with a hefty pricetag and people are all sully over it.

At the same time, many of those people were bashing on entry level games that were 1400 a few years back but now are 2500+. All around, some of these guys interest in games has shifted dramatically and they are taking one on the chin with the high dollar games lsoing value and the entry level games which seem to hold value still actually costing them more to buy.

I actually think 2015 will bring more down turn to the high end as more new games come out.
    On the flip side the entry level is still growing dramatically and LOTs of new people still looking to buy that 1500-2500 pin (just look at how pinside membership and active online users continues to grow at an alarming rate!).

#131 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Hobbies cost money. Most things that bring you joy cost money. If you can manage to get your money back, great. But that shouldn't be why you buy a pin in the first place.

I agree, never said that should be the MAIN reason you buy a pin but for many it does factor in. Some more than others and that shouldn't be a bad thing or a greedy thing. A lot of things in life you enjoy will cost you money but being smart about it is not a bad thing.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Reality is that in the past 12 months the high end market has tanked, the LE (but not really limited) NIB and HUO market has tanked.

Agree and what I was saying was going to happen more than a year ago… we've already seen how difficult its been just to sell a pin for high dollars even if its well below what we thought was the market, you know this!

Quoted from Whysnow:

I actually think 2015 will bring more down turn to the high end as more new games come out.
    On the flip side the entry level is still growing dramatically and LOTs of new people still looking to buy that 1500-2500 pin.

Yep, very true. What I've been saying. High end, NIB pretty much anything over 5-6k will lose. The flood is coming and will only make things worse. It will eventually even reach the 2-3k pins.

#132 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

On the flip side the entry level is still growing dramatically and LOTs of new people still looking to buy that 1500-2500 pin (just look at how pinside membership and active online users continues to grow at an alarming rate!).

Agreed. The top/high-middle end of the market is down but low end DMD games are on the rise to satisfy all the new collectors that are still entering the market and starting to build collections. I remember 4-5 years back I sold a DM and couldn't give the damn thing away! It was in nice shape, played perfectly, had the swear roms and I struggled to get $1100 for it... Now it would go for almost double that. Even pre-DMD games like Dr. Dude seem to be $1500 + now! It's crazy. I also have been in the market for a Taxi for a couple years but even those seem to be selling for close to $2K. It's a fun game but that's crazy money compared to what they sold for 5 years ago. I can see most of these games holding where they are (I think they're close to peak) but I don't really see them going down again.

#133 9 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

This is untrue. I'd rather have all my games be worth $300 so I can buy everything cheaper. There is a lot more out there i'd want to buy. Rather have everything out there be worth a lot less, than to have my little collection be worth a fortune.

#134 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

This is untrue. I'd rather have all my games be worth $300 so I can buy everything cheaper. There is a lot more out there i'd want to buy. Rather have everything out there be worth a lot less, than to have my little collection be worth a fortune.

Not after you spend $5000 each for them. Sure if we could all start that way I'm with you. But its not reality. Today it is what it is and pins are several thousands of dollars.

#135 9 years ago

didn't say it was reality. More like wishful thinking. I wouldn't mind my games being all $300 each, if all games were $300 each. But then i'd even have more of a space problem than I already do.

#136 9 years ago

Every time I read a post about pinball machine values and see all the "smart asses" saying they are in it for the hobby and don't care about the value I really wonder if everyone in the hobby is stupid.

If you are shopping for a house you would do market research to see if a house you like is priced fairly or if you were selling a house you would want to get a fair price for it. When you buy a car or other big ticket item most people do their research trying to get the best value. Heck - even when most people go grocery shopping they shop for the best deals. Why should wanting to know what a fair market value is on a pinball machine be a bad thing?

Being concerned about market value of pinball machines doesn't make you a bad guy it makes you a smart consumer. You don't have to lose money on every transaction for something to be a hobby but according to most here on Pinside if you are worried about price trends or pinball values you are in the hobby for the wrong reason. I don't agree - I think people who are wondering about market trends with pinball machines are just being smart consumers.

Yes there are and always will be a handful of people just involved in pinball to make a quick buck. There will always be "flippers" and dealers making a profit. And all those really bad people that sell parts to make a profit like Steve Young but without them where would the hobby be? If it wasn't for guys like Steve none of us would be able to get the parts we need and if it wasn't for guys like Lloyd at Coinopwarehouse 1000's of machines would still be sitting in barns rotting away.

There is room in the hobby for everyone. I don't agree with what some people do and I do agree prices were getting pretty crazy over the past few years. But I still would like to hear what others think about machine values - price trends - etc without all the drama. To be a true collector - you don't have to sell every machine for less than you have invested. A true collector enjoys the hobby and might not be as concerned about future value as some other people might be but a smart collector still wants to buy and sell at "fair" prices.

#137 9 years ago

Which games are falling in value?

All of them!

#138 9 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

I'll admit, my opinion is affected by the fact that I bought a MM about 3 months before the remake was announced. Just sold it a few months back for 1/2 of what I paid. Hopefully, I won't be making that mistake again.

Well there you go, if you sell you can loose money.

If you don't sell, money is a non-issue, you have a machine you can enjoy!!

If you kept it, you were playing it every night, had loads of fun!!

THAT should be the lesson you should have learned from this.

#139 9 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

If you are shopping for a house you would do market research to see if a house you like is priced fairly or if you were selling a house you would want to get a fair price for it. When you buy a car or other big ticket item most people do their research trying to get the best value. Heck - even when most people go grocery shopping they shop for the best deals.

You are comparing necessary items (a place to live, a car, food...) to a form of entertainment (a pinball machine, a stereo system, pool table, vacation, movies, gambling etc...)

Why should wanting to know what a fair market value is on a pinball machine be a bad thing?

I don't think anyone ever said that. Everyone certainly wants to pay fair price/fair market for anything. That's the cost of obtaining it, and we observe prices at that time so at least we don't pay more than what we could get it for elsewhere.

It's the mentality of "I am going to change my buying decision because of what I may or may not get from it when I am done with it" that I don't agree with. For example, if I shopped for a TV or stereo system I look for the features and picture that please me. I bought a swimming pool that I liked because of it's construction and appealing looks. In no case of buying an entertainment product have I ever once thought "Maybe I should buy this other one because it might sell it for more later on down the pike."

#140 9 years ago

In my eyes it doesn't matter if I am buying a pool, custom car, pinball machine, or a house I always try to "buy smart". Money is money and money wasted is money I don't have to spend on other items I would love to own.

To me - it is very important to know where market is headed before I buy. Although it is impossible to know for sure it is still better to have all the facts before parting with a bunch of cash.

If we use pinball for example and I am trying to decide between 3 or 4 different machines and one is way undervalued at today's prices and two are overvalued I would always buy the undervalued machine even if I like one of the others a little better. It is smart business to do it that way so why would I waste money when I don't have to?

I can enjoy playing something like Shaq Attack just as much as playing Monster Bash knowing I bought my Shaq Attack for one tenth of the price of the Monster Bash. Buying $8000 to $12000 pinball machines doesn't show I am more into the pinball hobby than someone who owns 3 or 4 $750 to $1500 machines. It just shows I have more money to waste on toys.

Most serious players will tell you they enjoy playing a good EM or good early SS machine as much if not more than playing one of the high end titles. Enjoying pinball for the hobby and playing pinball doesn't have to be expensive.

If you have to money and need to show off by having all "A" list titles in your collection that is fine. And if you have money to waste on toys that is great. But I would be willing to bet 90% of the people in the hobby are not in that income bracket and most would like to know where things are headed.

#141 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Judge Dredd is an $1800 game folks! No decline here.

damn I payed 1900 for mine. just got it tuesday. whaddya think of those post-meltdown gold legs I did up?. old legs>evaporust>black primer>black hammer finish>reflective gold. bling bling bitches!

20150106_215340w.jpg20150106_215340w.jpg 20150107_235032r.jpg20150107_235032r.jpg
    #142 9 years ago

Most serious players will tell you they enjoy playing a good EM or good early SS machine as much if not more than playing one of the high end titles.

Im one of those.I have a MB,TZ,MM as well,but I love EM and SS pinball.My approach has always been what i can afford at the time.I never really think about "value" up or down.I buy to own.Not flip or even try to get my money back.

The few times I did sell games I used the money as a sort of "down payment" for the next title.In other words I use the games I own as my pinball money so to speak.I never really go into the bank account for funds for pinball since like my 3rd game.

If you have to money and need to show off by having all "A" list titles in your collection that is fine. And if you have money to waste on toys that is great. But I would be willing to bet 90% of the people in the hobby are not in that income bracket and most would like to know where things are headed.

Unfortunately theres a lot of one upmanship in pinball.Thats where LEs came from.Read the MMr threads.Some abusive stuff from some about how original MM owners are gonna lose money on their games and they're not so special anymore.Blah ,Blah ,Blah.

#143 9 years ago

I wanted to add something more to this thread

valium.jpgvalium.jpg kleenex-facial-tissue-21400.jpgkleenex-facial-tissue-21400.jpg
    #144 9 years ago

valium and tissues?

#145 9 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

valium and tissues?

that will make sense once you see all the gnashing of teeth in a bunch of the posts in the thread. the thread has a lot of value and common sense and experience in it though too.

#146 9 years ago

prince-valium1.jpgprince-valium1.jpg

#147 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

prince-valium1.jpg 9 KB

lol nice!!!

#148 9 years ago
    Quoted from jms121:

The more you pay for a game the more you might expect to lose,pay 2000.00$ might not lose that much,pay 8-10000.00$ might lose a little more but that's per game.

This sums it up for me.

When I first read the initial post I thought what's the big deal with the question? Who wants to lose money and OP isn't talking about profits. If the pin is stable in price it makes it easier to rotate at whatever rate you prefer.

Then I realized this is annoying to a lot of people because OP could just take the pinside top whatever and insert to list because they will be the higher dollar pins and nobody has a crystal ball.

My advice with this and anything else is if you bid or buy with emotion and over pay expect a loss. Be smart with what you pay and you can remain even. I know OP took a hit with bad timing on MM, but that happened to a lot of people in 2008 or so with real estate. Too many people over paid and bought with emotion just assuming top dollar prices will hold. Then pop.

#149 9 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

This sums it up for me.
    When I first read the initial post I thought what's the big deal with the question? Who wants to lose money and OP isn't talking about profits. If the pin is stable in price it makes it easier to rotate at whatever rate you prefer.

This is the way I took it too before everyone pitch forked him. Why does it always have to turn into the discussion of making money??

The fact is the market IS dropping and asking for advise on what game may hold better value or may be remade is being smart. I never buy a game to make profit but I do hope I don't lose a bunch.

Case in point, I made a mistake when I bought my TFLE, I didn't do enough market research about how popular it was and I over paid. I'm now stuck losing a lot on it to move it.

Every question isn't about flipping and making money like a lot of you guys make it out to be. This statement by too-many-pins is bang on for common sense....

"In my eyes it doesn't matter if I am buying a pool, custom car, pinball machine, or a house I always try to "buy smart". Money is money and money wasted is money I don't have to spend on other items I would love to own."

As well I totally agree with what Teekee said :

"Not saying that is a big factor when buying a pin for you but I'm sure you want your pins to hold or gain value, right?

And it doesn't make someone greedy if they DO factor in resell value when buying or owning a pin. It doesn't mean you're buying a pin as an INVESTMENT if you're worried about whether the value will drop. Some people just have to be smart with their money that's all."

I don't think asking questions is a bad thing, sometimes we do see too many threads about it though.

#150 9 years ago

All the ones I have for sale !!!!

There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-games-are-plummeting-in-value/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.