Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 154 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by beelzeboob
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

prince-valium1.jpg
    kleenex-facial-tissue-21400.jpg
    valium.jpg
    20150107_235032r.jpg
    20150106_215340w.jpg
    BITE_YOU_by_Human_Opium1.jpg

There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #52 9 years ago

There's a free CV being offered in the Marketplace. So...you know...CV has really dropped in value.

#53 9 years ago

It's all just speculation. And it's not an investment.

Nobody knows really. If we want to kick the MMR bucket around...MMs were up to $12k a year and a half ago. MMR was announced, they tanked and you could find them for mid 6's for a while. MMR dragged on, people speculated, people got worried, and they are back up to mid 8's.

Stern could spontaneous announce bankruptcy, and every game goes through the roof.
    Or Stern could announce they can magically run games on demand we people order.

In the end it doesn't matter. Buy what you can afford, play them, keep them, or sell them. If you sell them, you may make a few bucks or lose a few bucks.

#54 9 years ago

Whatever my next keeper is.. Seems to work that way... To answer your question I would throw Star Trek on that list unless the code gets an update.
    Honestly though, I think with the lukewarm response to WrestleMania, I actually think some of the older games will go up in value because people are going to pass on the new title due to theme and code questions. It makes a more established title even more desirable.

#55 9 years ago

HEP games and such will stay high, rightfully so because of all the work that goes into them.

Any of the used A-listers that are not restored should drop to a little under what a remake sells for brand new, otherwise what is the incentive to buy over new?

I expect the remakes to lose 1-1.5K of value within the first two years and then stabilize out. I'm thinking something along these lines in a couple years:
    CQ Restored MM - 10K+
    Very Nice Original MM - 8 - 9K
    New Remake - 8K
    Used remake - 6.5K
    Beater Original 5.5K or less

That's just my $.02. I also think PPS will do the big 4 B/W before moving on to BBB because it should be easier to transition from one game to another and keep the line rolling. MM - AFM - MB - CC - BBB is my prediction.

Post edited by jwo825: edited for spelling

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I don't worry about what the value of my toys might be once I'm done playing with them.

Let me know the next time you want to sell something.

#57 9 years ago

$8K was the MM remake price set by PPS over a year ago. I really don't see that dropping for future remakes. They added Stern for assembly since the announcement and that can't be free. And they have spent more than a year getting their act together for one well documented pin.

I expect that any future remakes will be offered at $9K or more.

So don't expect that to drive original prices down under $7K unless they are beaters.

That is why I don't think we will see AFM as a remake. Maybe MB but there is a lot of licensing to deal with.

CC and BBB are most likely IMHO as they were original themes, limited production and over 10K in value.

#58 9 years ago

To continue the trend:

#59 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

To continue the trend:
    » YouTube video

The universe episode of Tim and Eric might be the best one ever.

#60 9 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

For some reason, there seems like a lot of defensiveness about this one. I thought we could have an honest discussion/debate about what games are on the list.
    I think everyone knows that certain games that are in danger of falling in value (or already have.). I'm just acknowledging the fact.

"For some reason"?? Hmmmmm maybe because you just started the 50th price speculation thread on Pinside in the last month. Try using the search function here and you will see that the price, remake & VE speculation has been beaten to death! Creating a new thread about it and acting like you are some sort of genius makes you look silly. Most of us got into pinball to have fun, but guys like you seem to just want to dwell on pricing. Just a suggestion, but maybe you should move over to a stock market chat forum since pricing and market sharpshooting/speculation seems to be your thing.

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Let me know the next time you want to sell something.

You might have miss read my post because I said I don't worry about it, I never said I don't care. There is a difference.

Do I try and get top dollar like everyone else when selling something? Absolutely. Do I track how much my toys are worth during the time I own them? Nope.

#62 9 years ago

In general, from what I've been noticing, the games priced over $2k seem to have fallen a bit in price. The games under $2k don't seem to have changed much in price.

#63 9 years ago

Most titles have fallen in price… the market has changed and will continue to change as the flood waters rise.

#64 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

But remember, prior to the last 4-5 years, *everybody* lost money buying new games. The concept of a game retaining value, let alone increasing, is a very, very recent phenomena. If anything I would say that was the bubble and it'll go back to games depreciating to fixed levels like the old days.

i hope you're right, it'd be better for the long-term health of the hobby and those making games would be forced to find an acceptable price point and business model that doesn't require an unsustainable bubble in order to be successful.

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from Fast-Ed:

All pins are falling in price. Just look at all the for sale threads that have ( price drop) in the title recently

2 years ago pins sold in minutes to hours, now it takes days, weeks or sometimes months.

The market will continue to evolve, when you add supply for an extended period of time, eventually the scale overwhelms demand, in any market. Lower demand lowers prices overall. 2015 is looking to be a highly productive year for more then one pin manufacturer.

#66 9 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Most titles have fallen in price… the market has changed and will continue to change as the flood waters rise.

1000 MMRs = market-crashing flood, haha. Stern makes more games than that in a month. there are hundreds of thousands of games in circulation. the remakes are a drop in the bucket - no need to build an ark.

as for the OP starting the 50th price speculation thread of the month ... i'll give this guy the benefit of the doubt this time - i think he took a total bath on MM by buying at the exact wrong time, and lost a relatively huge pile (my sympathies). losing that much scratch would probably make anyone a little wary of what their next game is.

that said, others are not wrong pointing out that making money on a NIB game is an anomaly that we are unlikely to see again except in extraordinary circumstances, and anyone buying pins should be looking at them as luxury toys, not an investment strategy.

#67 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

1000 MMRs = market-crashing flood, haha. Stern makes more games than that in a month. there are hundreds of thousands of games in circulation. the remakes are a drop in the bucket -

I wasn't JUST referring to MMr… supposedly other remakes to come which I doubt, VE titles, Stern new titles, several boutique titles… about a dozen plus titles coming soon supposedly.

I'm looking at the next 2-3 years when I refer to the flood waters. We're seeing some of these affects already and it hasn't even begun.

Money thin, space hard to come by, plenty of downsizing. The newbies won't keep up… and haven't actually.

P.S. I hope this response is acceptable to you. I can only hope you won't report this post to the mods...

#68 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Well, if anything MM is an anomaly and was insanely overpriced. You just bought at the top of the market on the #1 game.
    But remember, prior to the last 4-5 years, *everybody* lost money buying new games. The concept of a game retaining value, let alone increasing, is a very, very recent phenomena. If anything I would say that was the bubble and it'll go back to games depreciating to fixed levels like the old days.

This! I remember when I bought my SM NIB. I actually told my wife "This is the first game I have bought knowing I will loose money if I have to sell it." Years later, I'm wrong. It's gone up in value. I still own it and have no desire to sell it. This appreciation cann't continue. It's not realistic to expect a NIB game to increase in value after you have enjoyed it. Time will tell, but I think things will correct.

Cheers,
    Duane

#69 9 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

"For some reason"?? Hmmmmm maybe because you just started the 50th price speculation thread on Pinside in the last month. Try using the search function here and you will see that the price, remake & VE speculation has been beaten to death! Creating a new thread about it and acting like you are some sort of genius makes you look silly. Most of us got into pinball to have fun, but guys like you seem to just want to dwell on pricing. Just a suggestion, but maybe you should move over to a stock market chat forum since pricing and market sharpshooting/speculation seems to be your thing.

Why did you click on this thread? Obviously lots of people are interested in the topic, but not you. Please return to the fascinating speculation about whether you won't buy Wrestlemania, or whether you really wouldn't ever, ever buy it.

#70 9 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

Are you houseofpin?

impossible. posts aren't long enough to be him.

#71 9 years ago

I dunno.....I was kinda hoping these price speculation/ investment threads would die after Kaneda tapped out.

#72 9 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Obviously lots of people are interested in the topic

Or a lot of people have to look at train wrecks when driving by?

This isn't a train wreck video but it captures the attitude of people looking at bad threads.

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Wow. Yeah. You made a list of LEAST likely titles to lose value.

I think the more expensive games have a better chance to lose more value simply by virtue of them being so expensive.

With the exception of the ultra rare games (Kingpin, Pinball Circus, BBB) these very high priced, older games are being challenged by new companies with better technology, and better rules at a (now) lower price.

The perceived value of those old games is not due to exceptional game-play. It appeals to those who think it's worth the price because of it's desirability as a collectible.

More choices will take away buyers who would rather spend the same, or less money on fresh games with better technology and rules.

#74 9 years ago

I think the prices are out of balance for older games - at least on Pinside. The general consensus seems to be anything older than 1985 is worth $500, anything older than 1990 is $800, anything from the 90s not in the top 20 list is worth $1500-$2500.

If you want to play it safe and not worry about losing money down the road, there are some great titles that can be had. The sweet spot seems to be system 11 games right now - so many great games and the prices are too cheap!

#75 9 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

You guys must be joking. The games on the short list for probable remakes and VEs are certainly falling in value. There are whole threads about TRON LE alone.

The thing is this... all titles have already dropped recently and if any VE/remake is done it will be years away. If you spend years looking for a title you will be able to find a good deal at some point, so rolling the dice on which is going to be made when is a bit silly because the remake price of most titles you list are already within $1k of current market value, which was not the case for MM or IM (exceptions are CC and BBB). And to state the obvious, there will be no more Tron LEs made; you can find a Tron Pro and add lighted ramps, meaning any VE Tron will be the Pro.

#76 9 years ago

The return on our pin investments is the play time! I hope the prices don't go up so I can afford more games.

#77 9 years ago

Any game that doesn't play well.

#78 9 years ago

BOP actually went up and about 100% in the last 2 years. But still not in remake territory.

#79 9 years ago

Do you buy a car based on its resale value, or to drive it?

I don't know about you, but I buy pinball machines to play them, not to speculate on future value.

When I bought my TRON:LE brand new in box, it never even occurred to me that it might have a future value at all. I considered that money GONE FOREVER. The fact that it went up in value is just really weird to me.

I've owned my AFM for over a decade. I think I paid $3K for it and also though of that money as spent, never to be recouped. A remake of it now has zero bearing on my appreciation for the game.

You'll have a lot more fun if you stop sweating the price.

#80 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I don't know about you, but I buy pinball machines to play them, not to speculate on future value.
    When I bought my TRON:LE brand new in box, it never even occurred to me that it might have a future value at all. I considered that money GONE FOREVER. The fact that it went up in value is just really weird to me.
    I've owned my AFM for over a decade. I think I paid $3K for it and also though of that money as spent, never to be recouped. A remake of it now has zero bearing on my appreciation for the game.
    You'll have a lot more fun if you stop sweating the price.

#81 9 years ago

I'd enjoy owning a monster bash someday, can that one be a declining price? Since we are deciding on that here then ohhh lets say 5k? I'm good with paying 5k. deal anyone?

#82 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I buy a car primarily to drive it, but resale value and reliability factor into the decision of which car to buy.

As far as pinball machines go I buy them to play but re-sale value does factor into my decision to buy. If I were buying new I'd expect to take a 10% or more hit just by opening it up and then factor in some depreciation to account for my use and enjoyment of the game. It's been a bonus that machines have held their value and even increased in some cases. I expect this won't always be the case but as long as both games I'm buying and selling increase/decrease at similar rates then it all kind of evens out.

#83 9 years ago

I have seen AFM drop a bit over the past year, not much but definitely a little bit.

#84 9 years ago

Prices seem up then lil down then flavo of the week then up then lil down just depends on the day don't really see any real price slides though mostly just little peaks and valleys.we all wish games were cheaper that we want but no one is gonna take a huge loss so not gonna happen.after all they were worth that when we bought them to us.

#85 9 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

There are certain games I would like to own, but would be very hesitant to buy, due to concerns that they are falling sharply in value (or will soon).

Wouldn't you rather own games because you want to play them?

#86 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Wouldn't you rather own games because you want to play them?

+1...

imo, everyone who is concerned about "losing money" on their machine ought to take their machines off of free play so they have to feed them money in order to play... maybe that will get it through their heads...

#87 9 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

There are certain games I would like to own, but would be very hesitant to buy, due to concerns that they are falling sharply in value (or will soon).
    It seems that there is a general softening in the marketplace, which is certainly contributing. I also think the rumors about remakes play a big role. Which games do you think fall into this category? I will suggest a few, am I forgetting some others?
    Attack from Mars
    Monster Bash
    Lord of the Rings
    Tron
    Cactus Canyon
    Big Bang Bar
    Pinball Circus (I suppose)

all games are falling in value. If you go from 2011-2012 when the market hit a stupid price splurge. everything has come down since. Minus a couple select games, everything else has dropped pretty steadily. Not dropping as fast as it shot up, but dropping at a fairly even rate.

#88 9 years ago

Every machine I buy loses money because a) I pay too much to begin with, and b) the fact that they were mine immediately devalues them for some reason.

#89 9 years ago

The more you pay for a game the more you might expect to lose,pay 2000.00$ might not lose that much,pay 8-10000.00$ might lose a little more but that's per game.

#90 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

everyone who is concerned about "losing money" on their machine ought to take their machines off of free play

+1

I may be in the minority, but I don't even keep good track of what I paid or how much I have in them. Once parts that I order arrive and I verify they are correct, receipts get deleted and shredded. Less crap to go through later.

I don't have them set up to take coins, but guests that come over usually bring something to compensate. If I go to sell one, I decide what it is worth and if someone doesn't want to pay it, I will just keep it and continue to enjoy it and get my money's worth, whatever that was.

#91 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

+1
    I may be in the minority, but I don't even keep good track of what I paid or how much I have in them. Once parts that I order arrive and I verify they are correct, receipts get deleted and shredded. Less crap to go through later.
    I don't have them set up to take coins, but guests that come over usually bring something to compensate. If I go to sell one, I decide what it is worth and if someone doesn't want to pay it, I will just keep it and continue to enjoy it and get my money's worth, whatever that was.

well, there's at least 2 of us in that minority...

mine take coins and also are free play... guests play for free... i put quarters in them because i still get a kick out of having virtually limitless quarters to play, vs. when i was a kid and had to be selective... plus it functions as a "parts piggy bank"...

#92 9 years ago

how do you set it to free play and quarters? or you just put money in for fun? I have 1000's of aladdins castle tokens ready to go. I need the mechs for them, just to duplicate the arcade experience and try and give a free game some meaning. I have several change machines, which I want to customize to take special playmoney. (dollar bill acceptors can be programmed to take anything you want)

#93 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

how do you set it to free play and quarters? or you just put money in for fun? I have 1000's of aladdins castle tokens ready to go. I need the mechs for them, just to duplicate the arcade experience and try and give a free game some meaning. I have several change machines, which I want to customize to take special playmoney. (dollar bill acceptors can be programmed to take anything you want)

i'm an em guy, so it is easy... "free play mod" it, but leave everything else intact... this way if someone pushes the button, the game will start, but if someone puts in a quarter, it will put 3 credits on the machine...

edit: fwiw, i leave a couple bowls of quarters close by if guests want the "drop a coin" feeling too... i'll save them up for awhile in a jar, then i run them through the tumbler to make them all shiny and clean...

#94 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

btw, i like the "play money" in the change machine idea... i might have to look for one...

#95 9 years ago

I have 2 different ones. Once I find out which one works the best with the AC tokens, i'll sell off the other one. I heard some of the MARS bill acceptors, you can program yourself. If you dont' want to program it, I know there is a way you can set them to accept even blank pieces of paper, than you can make your own fun money and it will take it. That's what i'm planning on doing. Making money with my CV cat on it for pinball dollars.

#96 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I have 2 different ones. Once I find out which one works the best with the AC tokens, i'll sell off the other one. I heard some of the MARS bill acceptors, you can program yourself. If you dont' want to program it, I know there is a way you can set them to accept even blank pieces of paper, than you can make your own fun money and it will take it. That's what i'm planning on doing. Making money with my CV cat on it for pinball dollars.

This sounds awesome! Hope you post a thread once you've got your pinball currency system up and running.

#97 9 years ago

it will take a bit, because i'm having trouble finding the mechs for aladdins castle tokens. I need WPC style as well as the metal old school versions for my zacs.

#98 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

+1

I have a gut feel this is not the minority. No clue what I've spent.

#99 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

all games are falling in value. If you go from 2011-2012 when the market hit a stupid price splurge. everything has come down since. Minus a couple select games, everything else has dropped pretty steadily. Not dropping as fast as it shot up, but dropping at a fairly even rate.

I'll give you three games that I think are up or at worst steady: 1. Congo (if you can find one), 2. The Shadow. 2-3K 90's B games have remained steady and seem to be super hard to come by. The third is TAF. This is odd because it's a W/B A Lister and most of the others have cooled off a bit, price-wise.

#100 9 years ago

JPop's Zidware games are dropping in value before they have even been released.
    Looked like some owners can't even sell them off at a loss.
    Sad situation on those games.

There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-games-are-plummeting-in-value/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.