(Topic ID: 166070)

Which game should I buy for first machine?

By davijc02

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What should I get”

• Demolition Man 27 votes
      51%
    • T2 18 votes
      34%
    • F-14 8 votes
      15%

(53 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 7 years ago

Looking to purchase this weekend. Vote away and offer reasons if you don't mind

#2 7 years ago

Depends upon the price, all make for a good first game. I like WPC diagnostics and memu, but love system 11s

#3 7 years ago

T2-$2200 full led and clean
    Demolition Man-$2k non led but clean
    Tomcat-$1400 typical bubbling Mylar potentially raised inserts

#4 7 years ago

None, you will be fucked then. You won't stop.

#5 7 years ago

I'd go Demo Man or F14

#6 7 years ago

Matt is correct

#7 7 years ago

But from someone that will help you if you need it. Of course pinside and YouTube are both priceless

#8 7 years ago

I meant buy from

#9 7 years ago

All things equal, I'd go DM, T2, then F14. Having said that I own an F14, so they are all good choices.

Edit: I see you listed prices. I'd still probably say DM.

#10 7 years ago

I'm not going to tell you what to pick, that's seems nuts, I'd only be telling you what I'd buy and only by theme/play experience. So instead I'll offer somethings to consider when making a decision.

2 of those F-14 and T2 can be played digitally on Pinball Arcade on PC/Console/App. The fact that those two can be free and digital says two things. One they are a lot of fun and popular, so worth a look. On the flipside if you play Pinball Arcade, maybe the one you can't play online is better in real life.

Condition matters. if only one of those 3 has been recently 'shopped' new rubber, new balls, no wear on the play field bright and shiney with no bulbs out, that high in the order. Keeping these running is their own challenge. F14 is your oldest.

Take off the glass test all of the switches, check the boards for ugly repairs or damage from batteries. Look inside the game, ask about the history from the owner. A game owned and maintained, like a car, has less potential for future problems than one that gets passed around. They get passed around in many cases because thy are lemons.

It also depends on WHY you want a game. If its to play, everything above still matters. If its to fix and repair for fun, then that all matters but then price and condition speak to different ends.

Good luck, enjoy what ever you pick, its a fun hobby.

#11 7 years ago

None....

#12 7 years ago

I'm leaning towards the Demo Man then maybe getting the tomcat later on. Was just looking for others opinions on who owned these. The wife has no idea how many games I'm considering owning muwhahaha

#13 7 years ago

I like my DM and lots of documents when it stops working. Go for it.

#14 7 years ago

My 1st game was F-14, and I think it was a good starting point. Easy rules to learn, but a fast game and difficult to master for a beginner. You'll improve your reaction time and flipper control playing a fast game like that. Multiball is fairly easy to get to, but the game is not very deep. I sold mine within a year.

Although in my 1st year I ballooned to four games, then by my third year into the hobby I had sold them all to fund a nib stern.

Play as many titles as you can digitally, it won't take long to learn the games that you like best.

#15 7 years ago

If you're thinking you might eventually end up with two of them that might be another reason to go with the DM. I want to say there are almost half as many DMs as either F14s or T2s. You'll probably see them come up more often.

PS: My first machine was a JP. I had a budget and bought the first machine on my list of 50ish that was within said budget. No regrets with that machine. Ended up selling it to buy my second machine, but later bought another to play Chad's awesome new code.

#16 7 years ago

I would get demo man or T2

#17 7 years ago

Are the Roms that James cardona made for demo man still available anywhere?

#18 7 years ago

I think I have a full set of them actually, I respect the work he did, but I liked the original better, especially with the swear roms in it.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

Are the Roms that James cardona made for demo man still available anywhere?

Yes from James Cardona, but be aware , that they are not finished sets of code., fun to try, but for me, not fun as a keeper

#20 7 years ago

My first pin was F14... Talk about a gateway drug.

#21 7 years ago

Demo is easily the best choice and value there.

I like f14 but that's too much with raised inserts. That game is terrible with raised inserts.

#22 7 years ago

None, you'll get hooked and soon bore with any of these. Go with an A title that has some staying power.

#23 7 years ago

How big will your collection be? When do you plan on buying next game?
    Which one is nicest condition? Playfield, plastics, cabinet, boards?

If you plan on adding more games soon and plan to have 3-4 plus sized collection, and condition is fantastic....I would offer $2000 for the T2. Great gateway pin. Classic. Easy to learn but hard to master. Will keep you entertained as a solo for a good 6-8 months then you will want another. Buy another but keep T2. As your other games bring more depth, longer playing times, more stop and go, etc...you will really enjoy going back to your first love T2 for a quick romp in the hay!

Tell him T2 for 2000 because it's not T22 for 2200! Haha!

#24 7 years ago

I say DM but is 2K what they go for? or is that a deal I am looking for one as well but the price around here for that title seems higher.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-game-should-i-buy-for-first-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.