(Topic ID: 233721)

Which game has been bitched about the MOST on Pinside?

By MK6PIN

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MK6PIN
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

The natural follow-up to my prior topic...( an O-Din type thing). Criteria:

a) No poll
    b) This is about the game only, not Manufacturer
    c) You don't have to agree with the bitching (it could be your favorite game)
    d) Has to have been an actual production run (rules out Alien, etc.)
    e) Bitching had to start prior to the release, and relative to Pinside only

I will start - my vote is BM66, too pricey, poor build, poor initial code, etc. ( however, it's my favorite game fitting the above)

We should then be able to compare the 2 threads and compare polar opposites in the "opinion" of Pinsiders.....GO!!!

#2 5 years ago

Would seem Hobbit would be in the running .

#3 5 years ago

Lotsa (continuing) bitching about DI's theme...

#4 5 years ago

BM66 has to be up their Mark, we both experinced that first hand.

But it’s great to see the perception has done a complete 180, so maybe BM66 is the most bitched about pin to most loved.

#5 5 years ago

Gotta go with Game of Thrones.

At the time the pro had what was considered an absolutely baron PF and terrible art. Funny how it looks relatively packed now compared to some of the newer stuff. Art still sucks tho

#6 5 years ago

Beatles, thunderturds, primus, rob zombie, oktoberfest, WWE, ghostbusters, and SW.

#7 5 years ago

I've probably seen the most bitching for BM66

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

BM66 has to be up their Mark, we both experinced that first hand.
    But it’s great to see the perception has done a complete 180, so maybe BM66 is the most bitched about pin to most loved.

Agreed....we were beat up pretty good...game is never leaving. Was sure someone would have said GB or WOZ already. I've already picked mine, but man, flames went high on both of those.....

#9 5 years ago

Personally, I like to bitch about DI, beatles, TNA, and primus...but I see a lot of people complaining about BM66, thunderbirds, and raven.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Personally, I like to bitch about DI, beatles, TNA, and primus...but I see a lot of people complaining about BM66, thunderbirds, and raven.

Has to get a thumbs up...."Personally, I like to bitch about".....classic line....

#11 5 years ago

Houdini seems to take a beating all the time.

#12 5 years ago

You're all wrong. The game that gets bitched about most is always the new release.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

You're all wrong. The game that gets bitched about most is always the new release.

A potential winner here....however, some titles never seem to get off the radar for long....we can be a bitter bunch...

#14 5 years ago

The games that are complained about the most are usually from the same handful of posters that seemingly search out every possible thread or mention of the game to write about their disdain. Usually because the game was built up so much ahead of time that basically nothing could live up to it.

Transformers and XMen come to mind here (not saying they are bad, just the same repetitive complaints grew old)

Games that are not potentially stellar licenses are given more of a pass in ongoing complaints, but are still subject to complaints. WWE for example.

Some start out as an ongoing gripefest, and then are forgiven due to code upgrades or objective playtime rather than reading reviews; they are then praised as awesome. Iron Man and TWD come to mind.

#15 5 years ago

Aren't there TWO forum topics complaining about one specific Baywatch machine?

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

Wow!!! I have no idea.....

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

Yeah that’s just bitching about a for sale thread and to be fair a lot of it’s fairly justified when you mention the words collectors condition, immaculate etc etc and the game doesn’t even have legs

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Wow!!! I have no idea.....

I’m waiting for Vireland to show up in here, which ever game comes out on top of this prestigious thread Vic was probably the one leading the bitch band with his graphs

Come to think of it I actually missed his BM66 graphs

#19 5 years ago

I have to say Beatles and SW.

#20 5 years ago

The Dutch Pinball "Big Lebowski" debacle
    The Skit-B "Predator" debacle
    The John Popadiuk "Magic Girl" debacle
    The Mr Pinball Australia "Medieval Madness Remake" debacle

#21 5 years ago

Star Wars for the win

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

A potential winner here....however, some titles never seem to get off the radar for long....we can be a bitter bunch...

Very true

#23 5 years ago

WOZ. If you weren’t around here during that, it got vicious. It was an ongoing tirade for a while. I got myself banned for a bit. As I recall that game changed Pinside quite a bit. It instigated the whole warning system Pinside uses, and the escalating bans. It was crazy for a while.

Any game that can change the very way an online community works is worth of winning this “poll”.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

WOZ. If you weren’t around here during that, it got vicious. It was an ongoing tirade for a while. I got myself banned for a bit. As I recall that game changed Pinside quite a bit. It instigated the whole warning system Pinside uses, and the escalating bans. It was crazy for a while.
    Any game that can change the very way an online community works is worth of winning this “poll”.

Completely agree...I was around, and quite messy for awhile on here...If it wasn't for BM66, would have been my " vote" ( own and love that one too, btw)

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Completely agree...I was around, and quite messy for awhile on here...If it wasn't for BM66, would have been my " vote" ( own and love that one too, btw)

I’m starting to realise your drawn to dramatic pins, WOZ, BM66, Alien even KISS has had its fair bit of heated drama.

Your love for this hobby it’s endless

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Underspin:

The Dutch Pinball "Big Lebowski" debacle
    The Skit-B "Predator" debacle
    The John Popadiuk "Magic Girl" debacle
    The Mr Pinball Australia "Medieval Madness Remake" debacle

Yep. I vote Predator, new Jflop pins, Lebowski, Alien. Any pins where people were literally robbed should be near the top of this list.

#27 5 years ago

Most continued bitching isn’t about the pins with consensus major problems - it’s about controversial pins that a portion of the community likes quite a bit while the portion that doesn’t tries to overcompensate for the positivity with extra negativity. I think the biggest offenders are Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Batman 66, and Wizard of Oz. Each of these pins have been majorly successful with certain segments of the community.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

I’m starting to realise your drawn to dramatic pins, WOZ, BM66, Alien even KISS has had its fair bit of heated drama.
    Your love for this hobby it’s endless

Ha!!!...I actually looked at my lineup this morning, and I've been in pretty much all of these storms (except maybe BSD and WCS which I also love, but no one really talks about much)

With MunstersLE on the way....bracing for impact...

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Yep. I vote Predator, new Jflop pins, Lebowski, Alien. Any pins where people were literally robbed should be near the top of this list.

Agreed, but left them out....these (unfortunately) never came to fruition (except a few Aliens and TBL's)....they lied and took $$$ from our community, either by fraud (Predator), preying on hype (JPOP), or both (TBL and Alien). They are not worthy of a topic such as this, as it's meant for legit pins from a Pinsiders perspective (and yes, I own an AlienLE, but we all paid dearly for it, some more than others).

#30 5 years ago

Still no color dmd for Hercules.....ffs....

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from Patrunkenphat7:

Most continued bitching isn’t about the pins with consensus major problems - it’s about controversial pins that a portion of the community likes quite a bit while the portion that doesn’t tries to overcompensate for the positivity with extra negativity. I think the biggest offenders are Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Batman 66, and Wizard of Oz. Each of these pins have been majorly successful with certain segments of the community.

Exactly.....I'm trying to focus on which ones we bitch/ don't bitch about as Pinheads. Our reasons could be valid or emotional, or any combination. As stated prior, I LOVE pinball as a hobby, and truly appreciate having it.

Trying to find some sort of correlation as to why some games are polarizing as hell, while others get a pass. They could both be good games or dogs.

Came to light with the recent Munsters release.....a billion speculation posts prior to announcement, some very negative, others positive. It would be awesome to somehow capture this metric, and keep game threads about the games themselves. When newbies jump into some of these threads if they have interest in a game (or our hobby), my fear is they take alot of this crap seriously.

Your analogy is the closest to where I'm trying to derive info of use....

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Yeah that’s just bitching about a for sale thread and to be fair a lot of it’s fairly justified when you mention the words collectors condition, immaculate etc etc and the game doesn’t even have legs

It was an imamaculate game and even a better imamaculate thread!

#33 5 years ago

I'd say Ghostbusters because:

- wide flipper gap
    - linear game play
    - playfield quality issues
    - code

Each of those have caused a shitstorm here. There's probably some stuff I'm forgetting.

Thunderbirds has to be a close second.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jackalwere:

I'd say Ghostbusters because:
    - wide flipper gap
    - linear game play
    - playfield quality issues
    - code
    Each of those have caused a shitstorm here. There's probably some stuff I'm forgetting.
    Thunderbirds has to be a close second.

This was my #3 (after BM66 and WOZ), only due to what I've read on the threads...never went for one, as it seemed there would be problems.

Played one in Charleston a couple of weeks ago....not as bad as I remembered prior, but wouldn't own one....

#35 5 years ago

Maybe some games deserve it, but in true Pinside fashion there have been many that didn't. Remember all the bitching about ACDC when it the first pictures showed up? Then slowly but surely people realized that it is a great game. Funny thing is the haters around here never really stick around long enough to eat crow in those cases. Another classic was the early bitching about Star Trek and especially STLE. I remember a few members who were doing anything they could to torpedo that game saying it would be selling for $5000 within a few months. Funny that STLE currently is considered one of the best LEs Stern has put out and still sells for more than I paid NIB. ST is another great game.

#36 5 years ago

Dialed In wins for the largest amount of petty bitching. People loved the layout, the designer, the shots, the code, and universally agreed it had plenty of depth. They just couldn't get past the theme.

#37 5 years ago

this topic is directly relative to women. Everyone likes something different and for every good one there’s 10 guys sick of playing with her!

#38 5 years ago

Di is the best game iv ever played. I love the theme but love original concepts and hate franchises. Take jj pirates for example. Looks amazing but why do I need to see the face of 50 actors in little circles everywhere? What does this have to do with pinball? Plus I’d rather my money go into design than franchise rights.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Maybe some games deserve it, but in true Pinside fashion there have been many that didn't

Sort of sums up the purpose of my ask

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from projvulkn:

Plus I’d rather my money go into design than franchise rights.

This argument does not stand up. Franchise rights are usually $50 or less per machine from what I understand. For that $50 you basically get nearly ready made artwork, characters, music and even video clips. The cost of developing that in house is more than $50. Sure in the old days with EMs and solid state games it was the way to go because it was just a few images that needed to be developed. Now we have high res everywhere, LCD displays, stereo sound, etc. It takes an army to develop the art/sound/video package on a pinball machine these days even with a franchise.

Not to mention that the public these days want a familiar licensed theme. Look at slot machines. Say what you will about themes like DI and I am glad you enjoy it. You will never convince me that DI would not have sold at least twice as many games if it was a good licensed theme like Led Zeppelin or even Toy Story.

#41 5 years ago

Every. Single. Game. Released.

#42 5 years ago

Supreme

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

This argument does not stand up. Franchise rights are usually $50 or less per machine from what I understand. For that $50 you basically get nearly ready made artwork, characters, music and even video clips. The cost of developing that in house is more than $50. Sure in the old days with EMs and solid state games it was the way to go because it was just a few images that needed to be developed. Now we have high res everywhere, LCD displays, stereo sound, etc. It takes an army to develop the art/sound/video package on a pinball machine these days even with a franchise.
    Not to mention that the public these days want a familiar licensed theme. Look at slot machines. Say what you will about themes like DI and I am glad you enjoy it. You will never convince me that DI would not have sold at least twice as many games if it was a good licensed theme like Led Zeppelin or even Toy Story.

I am amongst those that hate the DI theme. I will admit that the gameplay is nice, so i usually play it once or twice when i see it at a barcade, but i would never own it.
    To each their own, I suppose.
    It certainly would have sold better and would do much better with a license.

Oktoberfest, on the other hand, sounds very interesting. I cant wait to play it.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Oktoberfest, on the other hand, sounds very interesting. I cant wait to play it.

Yeah I agree. Houdini is a lot of fun and this game looks even better. I like original themes as much as the next guy despite the understanding of why most games really need to have one to make money. AFM is one of my favorite games ever and my most anticipated game this year is the Steve Ritchie unlicensed machine. Can't wait to see that.

Quoted from JodyG:

Ghostbusters

When this game first came out it was actually received pretty well. The bitching has increased exponentially since then though!

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

It has to be WOZ. That pin had the perfect shitstorm. Years to develop, preorder dollars, high price (at the time), new company, so-so theme, and Jack himself on Pinside stirring the pot.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from BillySastard:

It has to be WOZ. That pin had the perfect shitstorm. Years to develop, preorder dollars, high price (at the time), new company, so-so theme, and Jack himself on Pinside stirring the pot.

It's crazy how that game turned out to be ( and will always be, sorry DI guys) JJPs cornerstone..So many things that had to be overcome...Got to give it props, despite it easily being in the top 2 in this thread.

Ironic how the 2 most attacked games turned out to be ( arguably) 2 of the best out there...ohh..Pinside

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-game-has-been-bitched-about-the-most-on-pinside?hl=archon9000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.