• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Simpsons broken BG (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hello everybody.

Quick poll as my collection has gotten out of hand and I'm currently having a conundrum.

I've got plenty of games, but want to mod them a bit to add some flair.

On the shortlist for mods.

Getaway High Speed 2
Indiana Jones The Pinball Adventure
Lord of the Rings
Twilight Zone
STTNG

I'm thinking of starting with Getaway (mountain, key start, doughnut shop, traffic light mods).

Would it be considered the "easiest". I'm not looking at adding value, just making the games look a bit nicer.

What about Pinstadiums? Are they worth the 300+? Barring that, invisiglass may also be in the future.

Thanks

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheberha:

What about Pinstadiums? Are they worth the 300+

Are you legally blind?
If the answer is "No", then I think you have no need for Pinstadiums.

#3 2 years ago

Each to there own on mods. Personally I only like minor tasteful mods. I don’t think pinstadiums are needed in all cases. Depends if you put LED’s for your GI. I would start there but don’t color bomb it. Cool white for GI but can go brighter if needed. Color match inserts is generally OK. If that’s not bright enough you can look into pinstadiums. There is a fine line between a cool mod and just absolute gaudy. No alligator clips on any mods. Plug and play for any light up mods- no hack jobs.
If you are into sound upgrades look at Pin Woofer. Reviews of there products seem to be mostly good. Check out the club threads and you can get a lot of good insight to the mods for your games. Too many to list but the propeller mod for IJ may be a good one. Avoid hot gluing crap all over your games. And of course Color DMD is a great mod if you don’t have that. It’s probably the best single mod you can do that actually adds value to a game. You can also powder coat the armor (side rails, hinges, lock down bar etc.). The ideas for modding games is endless but start with the club threads for your games for ideas.
Speaker light kits/grill inserts are also simple mods that can add a nice touch.

Have fun…there your games so if you enjoy the mods that’s all that matters.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheberha:

What about Pinstadiums?

Basically The Death Star of shitty puke lighting.

Quoted from Cheberha:

Are they worth the 300+?

If you have trouble seeing light escape the sun, perhaps.

#5 2 years ago

Why not start with your Pinside avatar. It’s easy and makes your profile nicer for everyone.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

I think you have no need for Pinstadiums.

I will also vote for hell no on this.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheberha:

my collection has gotten out of hand

5 games and it is out of hand? haha Let me know when you get past 25.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

5 games and it is out of hand? haha Let me know when you get past 25.

He does have a great lineup though.

I have room for 7, and currently own 11

#9 2 years ago

I have room in the house for 20 total in multiple rooms, but have 40. Go figure.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from oPinsesame:

Why not start with your Pinside avatar. It’s easy and makes your profile nicer for everyone.

Maybe he broke his backglass like I did once.

Simpsons broken BG (resized).jpgSimpsons broken BG (resized).jpg
#11 2 years ago

ColorDMD for them all. Hell yes!

#12 2 years ago

Maybe he broke his backglass like I did once

Ouch.

#13 2 years ago

No pinstadiums, I really don't like them. If you think a pin is too dark then convert GI to LEDs and if that's not enough add a few spotlights at suitable places on the playfield. This is usually enough and looks much better imo.

#14 2 years ago

Pinstadiums are just nasty. Big no there.

I’d look into speaker upgrades for Indy and Star Trek (not sure if twilight zone is also dcs). I upgraded my Indy to a bigger woofer and back box speakers & the sound quality was noticeably better. Nothing external, only better quality speakers.

#15 2 years ago

I agree with other's on Pinstadiums.

The other plastic junk does not belong in Getaway....IMO. I actually don't post to that club thread or visit it anymore, due to the constant hawking of that crap.

Clean up your games, keep fresh rubber, good speakers, and stay far, far away from any temptation to add plastic and die cast cars and unnecessary lights.

#16 2 years ago

I've re-coded all of those games on your list. Recently finished Indy. If you have the coding skills, open the hood and add new creative ideas to your game...which is the ultimate mod.

#17 2 years ago

I have room in the house for 20 total in multiple rooms, but have 40. Go figure.

Ok, ok. I will buy a couple

#18 2 years ago

Personally, I would skip all the tacked on mods. They rarely add value, get expensive, and make the game look "cheap" not better imo. I suggest spending the time getting a good led light system. Look into Comet's Matrix products to easily add lighting. For Getaway, it looks cool to light up the gauges and other unlit plastics. Get the ocd boards to retain all the factory fade effects. You can also light up star posts and add spot lights. The matrix stuff all uses connectors so it's easy to try things.

Another good option is colordmd. While expensive, it does retain it's value and can be moved to any other dmd game.

#19 2 years ago

Also backing up what others have said about ColorDMD. It's the single best upgrade to any pin that supports it.

I always figured a good rule of thumb with mods is "upgrades" not "add-ons." Don't insert a bunch of new stuff in there, cluttering up the design. But if you replace an existing part with a higher quality version of the same part, that's the ticket.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheberha:

What about Pinstadiums? Are they worth the 300+? Barring that, invisiglass may also be in the future.

Since you asked, I will offer a dissenting opinion as I like Pinstadiums for additional GI lighting.

They have gotten expensive and are not needed on every game, but some games will benefit greatly from them, especially in a dark game room. The brightness can be dialed in from 0% to 100% and you can choose any color in the spectrum (including warm white, cool white and sunlight white) so you get to decide exactly how it is going to look and you can change it in a few seconds if you change your mind or the lighting conditions in the room change.

Sure, I could crank them up to 100% in a wild color that makes my entire playfield glow bright pink, purple or green if I wanted to, but I use them to help evenly light the playfield in a complimentary white to the artwork. People that spew all the hate for Pinstadiums have most likely never seen them properly set up in person.

I am also a big fan of Invisiglass/PDI and own a few sheets, but I don't think you need it on games that have Pinstadiums as they really help to reduce the glare/reflections, so that helps make the price of Pinstadiums a little easier to swallow.

And another huge thumbs up for ColorDMD. They are fantastic and also have the added benefit of holding their value better than any other mod.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 85.00
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Trade
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-game-first and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.