(Topic ID: 76690)

Which game benefits the most from having a ColorDMD?

By sammiesguys

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by genex
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which game benefits the most from having a ColorDMD?”

• CFTBL 5 votes
    6%
  • TAF 3 votes
    4%
  • TOM 4 votes
    5%
  • WH2O 10 votes
    13%
  • AFM 12 votes
    15%
  • SS 8 votes
    10%
  • STTNG 9 votes
    11%
  • MM 9 votes
    11%
  • MB 20 votes
    25%

(80 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 5 years ago

I think one of the best additions out there for any is the addition of a ColorDMD. I have them in both my MB and AFM and really enjoy them. I was thinking about maybe adding WH20 to my collection somewhere down the line, but Ive never played one with a ColorDMD.

So that got me thinking. Out of all of the games that have been done so far, which game does the addition of a Color DMD most benefit?

#2 5 years ago

I have a color dmd for WH20. It is great. I never realized how much animation I was missing without color. I am sure this can be said with any color dmd ready machine though.

#3 5 years ago

Judge Dredd would. It has some of the best animation in pinball, and the color scheme of the game would go well with the colors on the DMD.

#4 5 years ago

WH2O is a good one, there's a lot of stuff going on in the animations that you just never noticed in orange.

Frankly they're all awesome, I couldn't imagine losing the color on my Scared Stiff.

#5 5 years ago

It actually looks good in all of them, when I sold my WH2O I removed it and put it in my AFM.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

It actually looks good in all of them, when I sold my WH2O I removed it and put it in my AFM.

From everything I've seen, I agree. I was just curious if people had a favorite. Personally, I would put one in every game that I could get one for.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Judge Dredd would. It has some of the best animation in pinball, and the color scheme of the game would go well with the colors on the DMD.

AGREE 110%

I'm going to get one - set it to a shade of Blue and hope they do it someday.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

From everything I've seen, I agree. I was just curious if people had a favorite. Personally, I would put one in every game that I could get one for.

Only game I have that supports it is Scared Stiff, but if I had to choose which one looked the best outside of mine I'd probably pick Monster Bash. The color just looks really nice on it, and there are lots of great animations to take advantage of it.

#9 5 years ago

To me, the best colordmd to date is Monster Bash. Best variety of animations and coloring of any game to date. My second is STTNG. I always hated the orange dmd when there was next to no orange on the game. With the colordmd, it much easier on the eyes. I had a TAF, and I wasn't blown away. MM & AFM are well done, but MB & STTNG take the cake.

#10 5 years ago

Far and away, Creature!

#11 5 years ago

I love the color in my TAF.....however looking at videos of the other games, I think ToM might be better

#12 5 years ago

Monster Bash
Watching them jam on their instruments is priceless!

#13 5 years ago

I got a ColorDMD for my Judge Dredd and even though it just is in one color it makes the animations so much better with the visual effects it got. Even my teenage daughter which isn't that interested in my pinball machines said: "Wow, that screen looks great. Dad, have you done something with it?"

I would love to see it fully colorized for JD.

#14 5 years ago

I have afm, wh20, creech, and scared stiff. I love all of them but afm is phenomenal.

#15 5 years ago

Judge Dredd should be colorized. I see enough support here. At least three of us are on board.

#16 5 years ago

It's fantastic on TOM

#17 5 years ago

I have it on Tom and MB. For me MB is the better of the two. Tom is good but not MB good.

#18 5 years ago

MB out of the bunch listed, however if you have seen and played a CCC with color DMD, you will be floored by all the extra animations and software that were added. Epic I tell you, thanks Eric!

#19 5 years ago

How do I vote for ALL?

If your game supports it, get it. End of story.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If your game supports it, get it. End of story.

[Insert I BELIEVE IN RAREHERO t-shirt]

It's so true, once you go color you won't want to go back. It's everything that makes the original dots charming and part of a period of time, but better.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

MB out of the bunch listed, however if you have seen and played a CCC with color DMD, you will be floored by all the extra animations and software that were added. Epic I tell you, thanks Eric!

That's almost cheating since he was able to do new animations from scratch with color in mind, but agreed, it looks effing bad ass.

#22 5 years ago

Whoa...been gone too long; didn't know aboot TOM till just now.

WH20 is great, but probably AFM & MB are my tops.

#23 5 years ago

I want a CCC with a color DMD

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Whoa...been gone too long; didn't know aboot TOM till just now.

It's the latest release, you're not that far behind.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's so true, once you go color you won't want to go back. It's everything that makes the original dots charming and part of a period of time, but better.

Yes and since I read somewhere that you might be hopping on the colorization team, how bout a push for some color Dredd? Do that, and I will don the "I believe in Aurich" shirt.

#26 5 years ago

Even if they did a SHITTY job I'd get it, as it's still cooler than monochrome!

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes and since I read somewhere that you might be hopping on the colorization team, how bout a push for some color Dredd? Do that, and I will don the "I believe in Aurich" shirt.

lol, I haven't hopped on anything yet, but if I did it would be Shadow all day and night, and then I'd probably burn out and realize that colorizing games sucks and wait for someone else do it again like a sane person.

#28 5 years ago

That's cool. We all know JD is a $1400 game. I'd like to make it an $1800 game.

#29 5 years ago

I just installed it the other week on my STTNG.
Looks fantastic.
Well worth it.
Takes the game to a whole new level of enjoyment.

#30 5 years ago

I am very happy with my color dmd in CFTBL!

#31 5 years ago

Where are you guys buying these?

#32 5 years ago

colordmd.com

#33 5 years ago

I am also very happy with my color dmd in CFTBL!!!

#34 5 years ago

Such a great mod! It's awesome on any game. (Love mine on my MM)

#35 5 years ago

We need more ColorDMDs, Randy!!
These things are addictive....looking to add my 3rd one soon (TZ).

#36 5 years ago

Personally, none. I can't say I'm a fan of the Color DMD. It's great that it's available for people that want it, but personally I find the colors washed out and they don't add much to experience. In most instances the varying shades of orange used in the traditional DMDs accentuate the images and animation more naturally and that detail is lost with the Color DMD.

*quickly embraces for a barrage of thumbs-down ratings*

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from akm:

In most instances the varying shades of orange used in the traditional DMDs accentuate the images and animation more naturally and that detail is lost with the Color DMD.

lolwut.

To each their own, I wouldn't downvote you over that. But man, so many times I've seen a cool animation I'd never even noticed in orange, that only the color revealed.

#38 5 years ago

I took my ColorDMD's down to the lowest contrast. It makes the blacks more darker, but now that is at the limits of the LCD screen. Rest of the colors definitely look better.

#39 5 years ago

I have 8 of them. I would say MB is the best with WH2O and CFTBL close behind.

#40 5 years ago

One of the first mods mine get, have upgraded the ones I have MM, WH20, CFTBL, TOM, SS....and super happy my CCC (shipping Monday), has one. Its just a great add on! More Randy, more! There is NO bad color, it improves any game. And depending on the artwork the SIGMA mode might also compliment certain titles, thinking HS2 might look sweet running in red.

#41 5 years ago

How about Baywatch?! MegaColorDMD? I thought that would be the most distracting one if they made it in color and/or an LCD like WOZ

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside