Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Blackbeard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Alright, so I am given the opportunity to pick up one of two Funhouse machines.

Machine number 1 is a sample game with a Diamondplate playfield but has been completely disassembled and was essentially abandoned mid-shop. All the parts are there inside the bottom of the machine, but at first glance I will need all new ramps, a new display, and lots of willpower to blindly reassemble it all, not knowing how it all goes back together. Who knows how much it really needs though? It does come with extra parts for Rudy as well. Functionality of the boards is unknown as the machine has sat dormant for several years now. Price is $2000.

Machine number 2 is a routed game that is currently on location, standard release. Has backbox GI problems, the display is beginning to outgas, and needs a generous cleaning, but for the most part works 90%. After playing about 20 games on it, the only issues I have seen are the shoot again light continually flashes during gameplay regardless of the mode and Rudys eyelids are a tad slow. Decent cabinet, decent playfield. Price is $3000.

This is such a first-world problem, but which machine would be the smarter buy? Should I save myself the heartache and just spring the cash for one that pretty much works?

#2 9 years ago

I would take the first one .

#3 9 years ago

I'd say the first one. There's enough people with Funhouses (self included) that would gladly offer up detailed shop pictures so you could put it back together.

#4 9 years ago

Number one definitely. You can always get help on reassembly.

#5 9 years ago

First one without any doubt.

#6 9 years ago

I'll pile on....1st one

#7 9 years ago

1ST ONE FOR SURE

#8 9 years ago

Number one

#10 9 years ago

2nd one and tell me where the first one is

#11 9 years ago

i agree, the first one

#12 9 years ago

First one for sure. Is everything still attached under the playfield? I did a topside teardown recently and it was not terribly difficult.

#13 9 years ago

#14 9 years ago

I just picked up a sample Funhouse for $1700 not working. Turned out every fuse in the game pretty much was toast. Booted right up after that. I'd pick 1 also. I have seen games with clear coated or repro playfields installed recently for the same price as your 3K router. From other posts, looks like you can no doubt put it back together again.

#15 9 years ago

I would vote for the first one, without a doubt. Just make sure everything electronically and mechanically is included, especially Rudy.

There were less than 300 sample/prototype Funhouse games. I have one and it came with a mylar covered playfield, not Diamond Plated. I would rather have the Diamond Plated PF. When I got mine, I had to tear down the entire PF to clean it, as well as much of Rudy and the subways (and a lot underneath the PF that goes along with the teardown). It took a while, but even a novice like me got it done without much of an issue.

Tip: Install Cliffy's all around when putting the ramps and PF together.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I just picked up a sample Funhouse for $1700 not working. Turned out every fuse in the game pretty much was toast. Booted right up after that. I'd pick 1 also. I have seen games with clear coated or repro playfields installed recently for the same price as your 3K router. From other posts, looks like you can no doubt put it back together again.

Nice score man..I have been in a wish in one hand 2k in the other FH for a while now. Go with #1 Drewster

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#17 9 years ago

The first one.

#18 9 years ago

If you can swing it, pick up both. Having a working game will make reassembly of the 1st game much easier. Worth the little bit of hassle to resell the 2nd game later.

Best regards,

Tom

#19 9 years ago

I agree with Tom,plus you can use the best parts on the one you are going to keep.

#20 9 years ago

I Like the idea where you tell me where the first one is

Actually my one and only PF swap was Funhouse, I took lots of pictures....

Shoot me an email - Bob at Langelius dot com

#21 9 years ago

Agreed. First one.

There are plenty of folks here who have taken on the full teardown and reassembly of a FH and have taken lots of pictures along the way. I know they'd be more than happy to help.

Hey, if a 13 year old can do it.....!

#22 9 years ago

First. Sounds like both are going to need some parts and work, so save a $!,000.00 off the top. And as long as you have all the parts, it shouldn't be to hard to put together, and there's lots of people here that can help you.

#23 9 years ago

I feel like I want to say "buy the second one" just because nobody else here has...but I can't.

#24 9 years ago

Thanks for all the advice everybody. Does the sample game play any different than the standard game?

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from TheDrewster:

Thanks for all the advice everybody. Does the sample game play any different than the standard game?

I am unsure, maybe the sample has an extra STEPS target?

#26 9 years ago

The 2nd one sounds overpriced from your description. And you would have to do a #1 on it anyway to get it where you want it to be.

Get them both and get #1 fixed up 100%, then get whatever parts you need to make #2 100% and sell it.

#27 9 years ago

I am interested in #1 if you pass... but I would go for #1 too.....

#28 9 years ago

#1 here as well.

#29 9 years ago

I'm interested in #1 if you pass too.

#30 9 years ago

after several days of contemplating. I must say game one is the correct choice. I have a lot of shop out pics too.

#31 9 years ago

The sample game is the same as the production with a few differences. The only games that have s-t-e-p-s are prototype games(10 of these). I just picked up a sample and the differences are the Side rails are system 11 rails, The start button protrudes, and there is a hybrid system 11 sound board setup in the backbox because they were switching over to WPC as Funhouse was being produced. And lastly the samples were coated with diamond plate. I think thats all the differences, but I could be leaving something out.

#32 9 years ago

Second one.

Why was the first one abandoned "mid shop"? Are all the parts truly there? Think about the mass headache trying to figure out how to reassemble. Yes, many have done so and can help here on pinside, but think about the aggravation in posting a question.. then waiting for a response, etc. You could have dozens of questions too.

You have zero pics of your own.

And if you do get the second one, I think the price is a little high.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 40.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 22.50
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-funhouse-should-i-buy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.