(Topic ID: 336603)

Which EM’s have drops, a spinner, and non-symmetrical layout?

By aFineMoose

11 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by DanMarino
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8707 (resized).jpeg
    20200809_161925 (resized).jpg
    DSC_0666 (resized).JPG
    0EFDE2ED-F8EE-4249-8308-F79FAACF8FB4 (resized).jpeg
    There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 months ago

I have room for an EM and am trying to think of what ticks the boxes of what I’d like. There’s no EM’s around me, so my exposure level is super limited.

#2 11 months ago

Target Alpha. One of the best.

#3 11 months ago

Surf Champ
    Old Chicago
    Hang glider
    Hot tip
    Freedom

#4 11 months ago

Solar City, Target Alpha, great drop target games.

#5 11 months ago

Argosy and Rancho check those boxes

#6 11 months ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Target Alpha. One of the best.

Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Solar City, Target Alpha, great drop target games.

Great games but he's looking for a game with a spinner as well.

But the OP shouldn't limit himself to just games with all these features. Bally Freedom fits the bill perfectly, but El Dorado and it's many clones (see above) are much better playing games even though they don't have a spinner.

#7 11 months ago

Rancho

#8 11 months ago

Sinbad.

#9 11 months ago

I'd vote hot tip off of my limited exposure. It is in one of the local leagues.

#10 11 months ago

My take: (and feel free to disagree)

Hot Tip A++++
    Old Chicago A (art is A+++)
    Surf Champ is eh...
    Sinbad... good luck finding an EM version. The SS version is great. Same with a lot of those System 1s, they play like EMs.
    Argosy is much more fun than it looks.
    Never played Hang Glider but it looks badass.

Also check out Grand Prix - ripping spinners is super satisfying (and technically it has drop targets) EDIT: It's a symmetrical layout, doh.

#11 11 months ago

Thanks for all the input. I’m open to anything, and obviously it comes down to what pops up for sale locally. I’d love something with a little bit of everything as I only have room for one EM, and didn’t even know there were titles with all these things. A mix of wishful thinking and curiosity.

#12 11 months ago
    Quoted from aFineMoose:

I have room for an EM and am trying to think of what ticks the boxes of what I’d like. There’s no EM’s around me, so my exposure level is super limited.

There are a ton.

ARGOSY checks all your boxes. Everybody likes this one, it's very playable for an EM and has a lot of replay value.

#13 11 months ago

Bally Bazaar

0EFDE2ED-F8EE-4249-8308-F79FAACF8FB4 (resized).jpeg0EFDE2ED-F8EE-4249-8308-F79FAACF8FB4 (resized).jpeg
    #14 11 months ago

that’s missing two of the three criteria the OP was a looking for.. No spinners or drops..

#15 11 months ago
    Quoted from BeachPickle:

that’s missing two of the three criteria the OP was a looking for.. No spinners or drops..

It's also bad. Like most of those old Ballys.

#16 11 months ago

My bad....

#17 11 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's also bad. Like most of those old Ballys.

Ha. Disagree. Send 'em my way, please.

#18 11 months ago

Sonic Prospector is another fun EM. No drops, but the standups it does have are placed well. But the best part is the dual spinners right smack center with a scoop between them... with a nice set of tuned score reels and juiced spinners, there's nothing like ripping a shot through one spinner for a pop to rip it right back at you through the other one: the reels SING. Then try to land in the scoop for the staccato bonus countdown for another soundtrack. One of the best "musical" EMs out there IMO.

#19 11 months ago

Gottlieb 4 players :

Besides Surf Champ and Sinbad EM there is Close Encounters EM > but it is very hard to find !

DSC_0666 (resized).JPGDSC_0666 (resized).JPG
    #20 11 months ago

Maybe EM Sinbads are easier to find in Europe.

I really like Argosy. It has the quintessential elements of a good EM game: spinner, kickout hole and drop targets to increase hole value. And a nice playfield layout too.

#21 11 months ago

Do you typically play alone or with others?
    Multiplayer EMs are way more fun if you have buddies over to play…
    It is more fun to compete! -Gottlieb

#22 11 months ago

In my opinion, single player EM's are more fun, since they can carry over features (e.g. dropped targets) from ball to ball. Multiplayers always start from fresh.

But yes, if you have more players then multiplayer games can be fun.

#23 11 months ago

I would avoid Gottlieb "spinner" games if you are specifically seeking out a spinner game.

The spinners on Gottliebs not only usually suck (you get a few spins on most), they are rarely important to gameplay or a big source of points.

I can only think of one real Gottlieb "spinner game," Golden Arrow.

Spinner on Sinbad is (not literally) pointless; there's no reason to shoot it.

Spinners just weren't their forte.

#24 11 months ago
    Quoted from kangourou:

Gottlieb 4 players :
    Besides Surf Champ and Sinbad EM there is Close Encounters EM > but it is very hard to find !
    [quoted image]

Show off!!!!

Yes, I'm a tad jealous

#25 11 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I would avoid Gottlieb "spinner" games if you are specifically seeking out a spinner game.
    The spinners on Gottliebs not only usually suck (you get a few spins on most), they are rarely important to gameplay or a big source of points.
    I can only think of one real Gottlieb "spinner game," Golden Arrow.

Dependson what year, that later plastic design is pretty bad.

#26 11 months ago

The plastic late 70's spinners suck. But older Gottliebs had proper metal spinners.

#27 11 months ago

The spinner on Buccaneer really sings.. Coming back down from the top if its a slow ball it may get hung though.

#28 11 months ago

Surfer/Surf champ

#29 11 months ago

I agree with CrazyLevi on Argosy as being perfect for what you are looking for.
    But, not so much on his opinion of old Ballys.

#30 11 months ago

An Argosy was sold here a few months ago. If only I had a time machine. Then I could go back in time and find a cheaper hobby.

#31 11 months ago

Yeah but Surf Champ spinner is in a dumb place; right in front the pop bumper. Why?

#32 11 months ago

One of the best, Bally Evel Knievel... I am currently producing these

#33 11 months ago
    Quoted from Budman:

Yeah but Surf Champ spinner is in a dumb place; right in front the pop bumper. Why?

Eeaxctly. Plus, it's only worth 100 pts when lit. You might score 300-400 pts before the ball kicks back off the pop bumper and kills the spinner momentum.It's like it was an afterthought for Gottlieb. Otherwise, great game!

#34 11 months ago
    Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

Eeaxctly. Plus, it's only worth 100 pts when lit. You might score 300-400 pts before the ball kicks back off the pop bumper and kills the spinner momentum.It's like it was an afterthought for Gottlieb. Otherwise, great game!

Played one where the spinner ripped for like 50 spins and reliably missed the pop enough to keep it spinning. Wish they all played like that.

#35 11 months ago

Agree most of the Gottliebs have really odd spinner placement, "let's have them shoot dead center through the spinner and smash into the upper arch!"

#36 11 months ago
    Quoted from truemagoo102:

Sinbad... good luck finding an EM version.

My space is once again limited, but was thinking about going through the EM Cleo,
    but this is the 2nd time this week I heard good about Sinbad. I have an EM Joker Poker
    set up, and would like to have both set up next to it, but if there's only room for one,
    maybe Sinbad's the one. I have never played either, and opinions can vary, but I myself
    haven't a clue on either ones game play..

#37 11 months ago

Sinbad is a fantastic game. I wouldn't get hung up on finding the EM version, the SS is great.

I do not think Sinbad EM is THAT hard to find - between the 4 player and the Eye of the Tiger 2 player EM they made 1800 of them.

Like I said though, it's not really a "spinner" game; yeah there's a spinner there but there's literally no reason to shoot at it.

#38 11 months ago
    Quoted from aFineMoose:

There’s no EM’s around me, so my exposure level is super limited.

lol.. just realized you live near me.

Our region is a treasure trove of EMs.. but like most places, they are not easy to find on location, so you need to get to know the owners/collectors.

Not too long ago, I sold a Zaccaria Combat that would have fit your criteria perfectly.. that game was amazing and fun.

There is a Gottlieb 300 near you that might fit the bill:
    vancouver.craigslist.org link

#39 11 months ago

Others have already mentioned it, but Hot Tip, my favorite EM I’ve ever played, meets your criteria with a satisfying captive ball shot to boot. Also, I’m not the only one who thinks the ruleset of the EM version is better than that of the SS version. I couldn’t get enough of PAPA’s Hot Tip EM at ReplayFX two years in a row before I made a concerted effort to find one. If I had to sell my entire collection except one pin, no question Hot Tip would be the one I’d keep.

#40 11 months ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

My space is once again limited, but was thinking about going through the EM Cleo,
    but this is the 2nd time this week I heard good about Sinbad. I have an EM Joker Poker
    set up, and would like to have both set up next to it, but if there's only room for one,
    maybe Sinbad's the one. I have never played either, and opinions can vary, but I myself
    haven't a clue on either ones game play..

Long Live the Queen!

#41 11 months ago
    Quoted from truemagoo102:

Hot Tip A++++
    Old Chicago A (art is A+++)
    Surf Champ is eh...
    Argosy is much more fun than it looks.
    Never played Hang Glider but it looks badass.

Actually, Hang Glider is not that much fun because the drop targets are way down low, while the Bally flippers tend to shoot higher than Gottlieb flippers of that era. Plus, those are Bally's infamous "brick wall" targets.

I agree about Hot Tip. Argosy is good, except that the "shelf" above the drop targets and the whole upper left seems like wasted space. I'm not too enthusiastic about Old Chicago, but maybe 200 more plays would change my mind.

Surf Champ looked like it would be great, when I learned that Gottlieb was finally combining drops and a spinner on the same game. (I got hints from the 1976 parts catalog before I saw the actual game.) It turned out to be mediocre, mainly because of the spinner placement, as others noted. HOWEVER, Gottlieb was able to get it right, or more specifically, place a spinner where it would be optimal for the characteristics of their flippers. If you haven't played an Orbit/Outer Space that is really dialed in, don't go saying that Gottlieb always messed up the spinner placement!
    .................David Marston

#42 11 months ago

Hot Tip EM for the win! 6 drop targets, 2 kick out holes, spinner, and a captive ball! My favorite EM ever by a large margin.

20200809_161925 (resized).jpg20200809_161925 (resized).jpg
    #43 11 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sinbad is a fantastic game. I wouldn't get hung up on finding the EM version, the SS is great.

I do not think Sinbad EM is THAT hard to find

I do have the EM version, and I have many pins with much lower production numbers, but the Sinbad
    I have is the only one I came across. Also Hot Tip. I've had a bunch of multiple low production pins, but
    never cross paths with a Hot Tip which I've heard good things about..

#44 11 months ago
    Quoted from crujones4life:

Hot Tip EM for the win! 6 drop targets

I'm thinking I've got my eye open for this title..

#45 11 months ago

Get in line :p

#46 11 months ago

Got the EM E.V., EM M.H., EM B.J., EM J.P., and all that kind of stuff.
    But being able to get the 1956 Williams Fun House, 1965 Gottlieb U.S. version Hyde Park,
    1960 Gottlieb woodrail Flipper, and those types of pins, gives me pretty good faith I have
    a halfway decent chance coming up with a Williams H.T.

#47 11 months ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

Got the EM E.V

What's E.V?

#48 11 months ago

If a mistake was made, I absolutely 100% knew it would be Mr. Encyclopedia of Pinball Himself
    to be the one to find it. My error. I meant to put E.K. I do appreciate you spotting that and asking..

#49 11 months ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

If a mistake was made, I absolutely 100% knew it would be Mr. Encyclopedia of Pinball Himself
    to be the one to find it. My error. I meant to put E.K. I do appreciate you spotting that and asking..

#50 11 months ago

@mopar; you do have some awesome rare stuff. I'd like to visit again sometime.

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-ems-have-drops-a-spinner-and-non-symmetrical-layout and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.